VGC Community Create-a-Team - Check post #280 [RMT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Sorry for the delay, was very busy again, but here are the results:

Rotom-F 3

Tyranitar 8

Garchomp 0

Scizor1 0

Scizor2 0

Mieanshao 5

Hitmontop 9

It was tight but lucariojr's Hitmontop won this round.

Hitmontop @ Fight Gem/Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Mach Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard
and our current team:

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 12 HP / 248 SAtk / 248 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sheer Cold

Milotic @ Water Gem
Trait: Marvel Scale
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Scald
- Hail
- Protect

Chandelure @ Resist Berry Rock/Ground
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
Heat Wave
Shadow Ball
Trick Room
Protect

Hitmontop @ Fight Gem/Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Mach Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard
Now we continue step 3 we select Pokemon that work well around our Pokemon and fit the team style, so for this step, nominate any number of Pokemon you feel fits our core well and explain why you think so. Make sure it isn't just theorymon and it is a totally viable Pokemon for this team. After a few days we will put the Pokemon to a vote and the one with the most votes will be added to our team.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Jolly Terrakion @sash
4 hp, 252 atk, 252 spe
Rock Slide
Stone Edge
Close Combat
Protect

dat zapdos

Putting my Volcarona back up...

Volcarona @ Charti Berry
Timid: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Heat Wave
-Bug Buzz
-Rage Powder
-Protect
...cuz we all hate Metagross. It already screws over half this team, and a third member isn't really doing much to it. Volcarona is a real failsafe vs. Metagross, so, yeah, I think Volca is a good choice.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
I'm seconding the Terrakion Alaka suggested as well as offering this to the table:

Sableye (M) @ Lagging Tail
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fake Out
- Trick
- Feint
It neuters Physical attackers, good fake out for when you don't want to use Hitmontop. Lagging Tail Trick can help stop Rain, Sun, and TR sweepers. Feint makes it easier for the partner(Scarf Abomasnow) pull off quicker kills, bye bye Garchomp.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
At the moment, we don't seem to have any Pokemon to actually pick rain teams apart, regardless of the weather, so I'll throw this in to the mixer.

Virizion @ Life Orb
4HP/ 252Atk /252Spe
-Leaf Blade
-Sacred Sword
-Safeguard
-Protect

It so specially bulky, it even takes psychic off Latio with reasonable HP (Though I need to calm for some Defensive EV's), and its weaknesses are well covered by the rest of the team, mainly Hitmontop and Chandelure.

I'd like to leave this here:

Sun- These will get cocky when they see Abomasnow on our team, so we need to be prepared for Pokemon like Volcarona, Jumpluff, etc. To deal with Sun, we currently have Chandelure, Milotic, and maybe Hitmontop.

Trick Room- They probably will be more careful, since Abomasnow (not necessarily ours), Hitmontop and Chandelure will give them heartburn if they're not careful. Amoonguss and maybe Togekiss can give Chandelure trouble if we decide to reverse Trick Room.

Rain- Abomasnow can be killed off easily by Toxicroak, Milotic probably won't be doing much to other Water types, Hitmontop will be doing so-so, and Chandelure absolutely loathes rain to begin with. Thundurus have been using HP Flying more and more recently, from what I can tell as well.

Tailwind- Abomasnow and Milotic are good answers to Tailwind leads, and Chandelure can use Trick Room if things get hairy. Not too much worry here.

Sandstorm- Hitmontop walks all over Tyranitar and Excadrill, and Milotic/Abomasnow fare decently otherwise. Chandelure will do well to keep out of this.

Other Hail- Play conservatively with Hitmontop and Chandelure and watch out for Mamoswine, even though it may or may not get KO'd by Mach Punch, I'm not really sure. They may not even use their Abomasnow since we have one too, so that's a minor plus.

I'd agree with Virizon if I wasn't concerned about Thundurus's HP Flying, but maybe we can deal with that with Scarf Abomasnow. Terrakion is pretty specific, and it's adding to our rain weakness. Volcarona as well, and we already have a Fire type. Sableye is also meh in my opinion, but I could see it working.

I'll finish my post off with a silly little set that I'm in love with right now:

Latios @ Dragon Gem
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Substitute
- Protect

It can deal with Sucker Punches, deal massive damage to a lot of Rain users (bar Ferrothorn of course) OHKO's Kingdra right through Haban Berry, and attracts a lot of Ice Beams. This gives you enough time to replace rain with hail or even set up Trick Room to outspeed Swift Swim users. I GUESS Substitute could be replaced with something, but that's just my 2 cents.

Gastrodon @ Ground Gem
trait: Storm Drain
252 HP/252 SAtk/4 Def
Modest Nature (+SPatk/-Atk)
-Earth Power
-Muddy Water
-Blizzard
-Protect

This may seem like sort of an odd set, but it OHKOes Metagross which currently gives the team some serious trouble, as well as being a strong rain counter after you get Ludicolo out of the picture. We would need something to take grass hits, especially from Ludicolo, but I think that gastrodon provides against Metagross and Zapdos, as well as working well under TR should Chandelure want to use it itself. Muddy Water is chosen as the Water type move due to power.

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Jumpluff@Yache Berry
Ability:Infiltrator
Timid Nature
252 HP/60 SpD/196 Spe

- Sleep Powder
- Encore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain

Yes, first is Im not using chlorophyll, but infiltrator. I know safeguard isnt that commonly used, but being able to sleep powder through that is just to good.
Rage powder to take all the attacks from your team matre, encore stuff like fake out or stat boosting moves or what you would like.
I used Giga drain in the last slot so pluffy doesnt become massive prankster tauntbait and be useless.
Itll be taking attacks aimed at say as well as stuff like water attacks. It will however need wide guard support that hitmontop will provide

another suggestion

Eelektross @ Flying gem
Ability: Levitate
Adamant Nature
252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD

- Acrobatics
- Wild Charge
- Rock Slide
- Crunch

tbh Eelektross has been overseen on many teams, I think its a very versatile mon. Flying Gem Acrobatics is going to kill a lot of threats to both milotic and abomasnow, Wild charge for opposing water/flying types. Rock slide for stuff like gliscor and landorus who dont give a crap about Wild charge and a chance on flinches. I opted for Crunch in the last slot to cover stuff like the ghosts and psychic mons that may come this teams way.

With tons of Trick Room teams out there I think it would be best to run this guy to counter them:

Breloom@Toxic Orb
252HP/252Atk/4Speed
Poison Heal
Brave
Spore
Seed Bomb
Mach Punch
Protect

Although Amoongus has shown to be a great TR counter, breloom can not only spore, but pack a hard punch as well, and it isn't as crippled as amoongus would be outside of trick room.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I like the Terrakion that Alaka suggested, however i would run it with quick attack instead of stone edge. Priority could be used to finish off a poke who survives rock slide, or just do some extra damage when your clinging onto your sash

Rotom-W@Water Gem

Modest

4 Hp, 252 SpAtk, 252 Speed

HP Ground
Thunderbolt
Hydro Pump
Protect

This guy gets STAB on both of the team's recurring weaknesses, Rock and Flying. While he adds another weakness to Grass, Abomasnow is pretty good at KOing common Grass types. Water Gem might let Hydro Pump nab surprise kills on some things that have already been weakened by Blizzard.

This is what the team needs:
Marowak @ Thick Club
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk) OR Brave (+Atk, -Spe) with 0 Speed IVs
- Bonemerang
- Rock Slide
- Return/Firepunch/Thunderpunch/Outrage
- Protect/Detect
Why marowak? It deals with both the teams rock weakness and flying weakness well, and is a slap in the face to anybody who dare use zapdos against the team. It also packs a devastating attack, making the team more balanced between types of attacking mons(only hitnontop is a physical attacker, while the other 3 are special), and is made even more scary by the use of outrage/return (which pretty there much KO anything the team can't handle, and to be a last ditch sort of "hit like a truck" move to deal with anything that you can't immediately handle). Firepunch and thunderpunch are there if you want it to be able to handle water or grass types on its own or be able to surprise KO x4 electric or fire weak mons. Because of lightning rod, marowak can combo well with milotic, and would be the ideal switch in to a rock type attack aimed at abomasnow or an electric attack aimed at milotic. Bonemerang also helps to deal with annoying focus sash pokemon like terrakion and chandelure. Additionally, with marowak's already slow speed(which can be made even slower if desirable by making it a brave nature with 0 Speed IVS), it can be ran in TR for a sweep, or used to play mind games with your opponent and make them think the team is TR, and for example you could lead with scarf abomaanow and blizzard them in the face. So in conclusion, though marowak does bring in another grass weakness to the team(that is easily dealt with by chandelure and abomasnow), it has many useful advantages that help to solidify the team, making it a winner. :D

It deals with both the teams rock weakness and flying weakness well... It also packs a devastating attack... and is made even more scary by the use of outrage (which pretty much KOs anything the team can't handle)
Flying isn't much of a predominant type in VGC12, and also I don't know what you mean by a devastating attack, it has base 80 attack, and outrage is somewhat unreliable because it targets one of the two pokemon at random and locks you into an attack, which isn't very desirable in the VGC metagame, the confusion is also something people wouldn't like to look forward too.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
and also I don't know what you mean by a devastating attack, it has base 80 attack
With the Thick Club, it has an Attack stat of 290. For comparison, Adamant Deoxys-A has 255. Your other points are valid, but "devastating attack" is not at all an exaggeration.

Flying isn't much of a predominant type in VGC12, and also I don't know what you mean by a devastating attack, it has base 80 attack, and outrage is somewhat unreliable because it targets one of the two pokemon at random and locks you into an attack, which isn't very desirable in the VGC metagame, the confusion is also something people wouldn't like to look forward too.
Outrage isn't meant to be used that way. It's meant to be used in a situation where you are fighting they're last pokemon and need to KO it right away. (Now that you mention that i originally intended to have outrage slashed in with some other moves, but forgot, so i will change that now) Of course there are other moves that could be used instead of outrage, and that can be changed after the voting process. As for flying not being predominant, you may be right about that, but a lot of teams have a pokemon designated to use a powerful flying move to deal with the ever so common abundance of fighting pokemon (ex:acrobatics). Marowak tends to deal with flying types and flying move users like mienshao, crobat, and ambipom, and other acrobatics/flying move users tend to be picked off with relative ease.

Ferrothorn @leftovers

Relaxed, 0 Spd IV's.

252 HP, 148 def, 108 SpcD

Leech Seed
Protect
Gyro Ball/ Power Whip/ Thunder Wave
Thunder Wave/ Gyro Ball/ Power Whip

Like lucariojr was saying, this team is hurt pretty bad by rain teams at the moment even with abomasnow changing the weather.

This guy absolutely walls rain and his gyro ball can easily 2 KO toxicroak (as the relaxed nature and 0 speed IV's help boost it's power), his only real threat on rain teams.

Thunder Wave is also a great asset in case you decide not to run trick room as this guy is bulky and will let you team outspeed most of your opponents guys.

Power Whip is there as an extra STAB move in case you want the typing. He does have a base 94 attack and with a 120 power move, it still packs a punch.

Finally with his weakness to fire/fighting, Chandy is the perfect switch in, as he is immune to fighting, and he gets a boost from any fire type moves.

This team could use some support.

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Sp. A
Nature: Modest
-Trick Room
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Helping Hand
-Protect

Although it shares the same Dark and Ghost weakness that Chandelure does, Musharna is a bulky sucker that work well with either setting up the Trick Room if Chandelure fails or dominating in Trick Room with it set up. Helping Hand will also give moves the extra buff that they need for the other Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)