[VGC] My Intimidating VGC Team

I have never made a VGC team before a month or so ago, but was always interested in doubles. I found the VGC 4v4 format to be entertaining, with a few exceptions (minimize users are the devil). Having started out using just a few of my favorites, then slowly evolving it to perform well competitively, this is what I came up with.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Snarl

This is what initially formed the foundation for my team. A very fast, hard hitter with intimidate and volt switch. I open with Manectric the majority of the time, unless I want to scare my opponent from using an electric attack turn 1. I wanted to find a way to make him a true heavy hitter, but after practice it just never got the job done, and I would consistently just keep switching him out for his intimidate. Flamethrower hits Scizor and Mawile hard, and Snarl is an excellent move for this team comp. A lot of times I will use it turn 1 as my opponent switches out, and Manectric's speed ensures that I can weaken any special attacker before they can attack.

Goodra @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Calm Nature
- Infestation
- Acid Armor
- Muddy Water
- Rest

Goodra is quickly becoming my favorite Pokemon on the team. It says "NO!" to so many Pokemon and can easily sweep 1v2 when set up. I only recently added Goodra when I was looking for a special wall, and tinkered with its sets until I came up with this. Most of the time I can switch it into an intimidated physical attacker, and most special attackers are too scared to hit it initially. Infestation can trap a weak enemy while I continue to intimidate/snarl spam it, and muddy water is a great coverage move that can further weaken opponents with an accuracy drop. I initially had Gooey on this, to slow trapped attackers or switch it in on fake outs. However I found that sap sipper provided more utility because spore and leech seed really hurt this set. I get lots of rage quits after I use rest with a +4 defense Goodra.

Scrafty (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Rock Tomb
- Drain Punch
- Taunt

Scrafty is Manectric's partner in crime, and I lead with him almost every game. Fake out is mandatory imo, and drain punch OHKOs T-Tar and is a good healing move. Taunt stops most trick roomers, and stops Meowstic/Smeargle/Shuckle/Chansey shenanigans. Rock tomb may seem odd, but I prefer it over rock slide. It OHKOs Charizard Y, and the speed drop can be amazing on any Pokemon switching in.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird

This thing is a monster. Priority brave bird is too strong yada yada yada. Protect is great because Talonflame is a large enough threat that my opponents can't afford to not attack it. WoW is almost exclusively for Mega Kangaskhan, Mawile, and Garchomp. Kangaskhan and Mawile will try to sucker punch Talonflame, allowing me to cripple them while avoiding damage. The speed EVs ensure it will outspeed all 3 of those with max speed.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 116 SAtk / 136 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Light Screen

I initially wanted to avoid using Rotom, but after getting beaten by too many of them, I gave in. This thing is too strong with WoW utility and bulk, and almost 0 weaknesses. Light screen helps Scizor and Goodra set up, and Tbolt and hydro pump are self explanatory. The EVs aren't calc-ed for anything, just wanted more special bulk on it.

Scizor @ Lum Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Thief

Scizor came out of necessity of a fairy counter and a set up sweeper. The moves may seem to have poor coverage, but it really hits everything I need it to. A +2 thief OHKOs most trick room setters, with the added benefit of potentially stealing a leftover/sitrus berry if my lum was eaten. Protect once again because Scizor tends to get focus-fired.

A few notes about this team: I wanted to have Quick Guard somewhere here, but landed on other options for the moment. I know there will be a game soon where I would have won with Quick Guard, and will have to take a long look at this. I want to find a way to put an ice attack also. Many threats are weak to it, and all I have come up with were failed attempts using HP Ice with Manectric. I would like to know major counters or holes in this team, not just "Mega Kanga and Mega Mawile because they are too strong"

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)