Announcement VGC PL III - Polling and Discussion

Are you interested in playing in VGC PL III this year?

• I want to play!

Votes: 35 77.8%
  • I want to manage!

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • I won't be playing

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters

Sapphire

♫ Mugen No Ticket ♫
is a Community Leader
VGC Leader
(screw the logo, takes up too much space)
It's that time of year again! VGC PL III is back, and with that comes many things we need to figure out! This year's host is Aldrich, huge thanks to him for allowing PL III to happen! For this year's iteration of VGC PL, we're looking at:
  • 8 or 10 teams to play in an 8v8 regular season, followed by a 7v7 playoffs stage featuring the top 4 teams​
  • 120k for a min of 11 players, no max.​
  • Each team can have 3 managers, two of which can be bought for 15k and 20k respectively (under discussion)
  • Trades for players can happen until the start of the first week​
  • No retains from previous iterations​
  • Standings will follow a points system, 2 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 for a loss. (Tiebreakers will be specified in Admin Thread later)​
  • All SV games are to be played in the Open Team Sheet format, old gens are Closed Team Sheet
For the formats played, I'd love to hear your thoughts on what you would like to see! I am currently looking at the following:
  • x5 SV Regulation C
  • x1 SwSh VGC 2022
  • x2 SM Rotation between VGC 2017, VGC 2018, and VGC 2019

Manager Signups: April 17- April 23
Player Signups: April 24 - May 5
Draft: TBD
Week 1: May 8 - May 14
Week 2: May 15 - May 21
Week 3: May 22 - May 28
Week 4: May 29 - June 4
Week 5: June 5 - June 11
Week 6: June 12 - June 18
Week 7: June 19 - June 25
Week 8: June 26 - July 2
Week 9: July 3 - July 10

Semifinals: July 11 - July 17
Finals: July 18 - July 24

Please let us know any ideas, concerns, proposals, thoughts for VGC PL III this year! Manager, Player, and Commencement thread will release on Saturday 22 assuming everything is covered!
Live discussion happens in the SmogonVGC Discord: https://discord.gg/hgBa7pCg
You can also DM me any concerns on Discord! (Eeveon7♪#6561)

Last edited:

zee

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
i think only the main manager should be allowed to self purchase and this should be done with scrutiny when selecting managers. my biggest pet peeve when running this tour was decent managers signing up with tier 1 players as assistant managers who proceeded to have 0 lines in manager chat for the entire season - you know who you are.

8 teams is fine, might even be a bit much depending on the strength of the manager signups.

tyo

最強
is a Tiering Contributor
VGCPL Champion
discussed a bit in the smogon vgc discord but here's some ideas:

1. formula based pricing for managers so we avoid the problem zee mentioned, an example formula +prices found here
2. series rotation for SS slots (for example series 5, series 9, series 12)
3. optional tier lock to combat price tanking and to guarantee players can only play in tiers they want to play instead of managers asking them to play tiers they don't want to after the draft

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)