Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Ferrothorn is mainly there in case opponent brings rain or trick room. Gyro Ball slays fast pokemon like Gengar and Manectric, Power Whip is there for a strong stab. Leech Seed is mainly just a filler that works somewhat well on Aegislash.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Quick Guard
- Tailwind

Talonflame. Switched to a more support-heavy instead of Choice Band. Tailwind allows me to outspeed pretty much anything or counter opposing Tailwind.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Guts
EVs: 184 HP / 136 Atk / 116 Def / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Megahorn
- Night Slash

I replaced Amoonguss with Heracross, after realizing that sleep can be unpredictable (sometimes you get one turn sleeps, sometimes 3), so i decided not to rely on sleep. This heracross can outspeed max speed Garchomp, survive Jolly Kangaskhan's Return, and ohko Kangaskhan back. Night Slash is just a filler that can hit ghosts with 100% accuracy, and Rock Slide for spread that works against Charizard. When paired up with Garchomp with both spamming Rock Slide, flinches can win in a game that was already lost otherwise, since anything lower than Garchomp will have to get past two Rock Slides. Also takes only about 20% damage from Garchomp's Earthquake.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Protect

A pretty normal Garchomp I guess.

Gardevoir @ Choice Specs
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 196 HP / 52 Def / 120 SpA / 60 SpD / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock

This Gardevoir was stolen from some guy I can't remember. It's in the team mainly to ohko Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss or just deal some heavy damage.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Fake Out

A pretty standard Kangaskhan I guess.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:
this whole team just makes my brain cry because the items for ferrothorn, amoongus, and garchomp don't make any sense....

Mr.E

im the best
is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
Not the first person in the world to run Scarf Amoonguss. That doesn't mean I condone it, I think it's completely stupid, but it is a niche thing. Garchomp and Ferrothorn's items make perfect sense.

Thunder Wave on Ferrothorn is pretty weird though, between Scarf Amoonguss (both being much faster than normal and also PAR blocking SLP), carrying Gyro Ball and the rest of the team being pretty generally fast. I assume you either stole it from somewhere else or made a recent change and forgot to alter the description, since you don't have Leech Seed (which would probably be better than T-Wave anyway).

Garchomp you may as well just put those last 12 EVs into Speed if for no other reason than to speed tie other Garchomp, it's plenty popular enough to warrant that. OHKOing other Mega Moms be damned, Khan should probably stick to Power-Up Punch for the sake of fighting through BRN and Intimidate spam although it's ultimately up to you. Dropping your own Speed sucks too outside of TR strats. Does HP Fire on Gardevoir do anything besides hit Ferrothorn?

You might want to take a second look at your Ability options. Telepathy is better than Trace on Choice Gardevoir since you can't Protect against Garchomp's EQ if you have them paired together. Amoonguss is perfectly fine with Effect Spore but some people don't like the randomness. I would think a Scarf Amoonguss does more switching than usual, plus you lack the raw bulk of the typical EV spread, so you might appreciate Regenerator more.

I also think Life Orb Talonflame is dumb and you should just man up and use Choice Band if you're gonna do that but that's for another topic.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, especially nightwolf.

And yeah, HP fire is for ferrothorn, gardevoir mainly just uses stabs or Shadow Ball.

Thanks for the feedback, especially nightwolf.
:I can you explain the items at least? i mean what are you expecting to hit garchomp other than fake out users, other dragon claw/outrage users and mawile using play rough? and why lum berry over something like leftovers?

I don't use leftovers, since garchomp gets killed so fast when it is hit by something that actually deals some damage to it, same goes for ferrothorn. And in VGC I don't think leftovers is worth it since matches won't really last that long. Lum berry cures burn. I was using Lum on Garchomp and Rocky Helmet on Ferrothorn, but then changed it around since ferrothorn is practically useless if it gets burnt, while garchomp can still flinch with rock slide. Also Ferrothorn seemed to be hit by Kangaskhan a lot less often.

Here's why i love this Amoonguss:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-146086088

The amount of rage it causes is like, every game i use it.
There are no words to describe how much i love it!

After a few games with some changes suggested by Mr.E, did some changes to the team. (pretty much everything he suggested)

Last edited:

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For starters, scarf Amoonguss...? Amoonguss works better when it's bulky. Sure it can outspeed neutral invested base 80 Pokemon, but this metagame has a lot of fast attackers. Without enough bulk, once your opponents double target that thing, it's over. Also your team is pretty weak to Intimidate since you only have one special attacker (Amoonguss doesn't count because let's be honest, no one actually uses Amoonguss to be a special attacker). For Kangaskhan, I feel like sucker punch is ABSOLUTELY needed. It's usually either protect or fake out, not both though I guess it's nice in order to catch your opponent off guard. Also this season is pretty much over, why not wait until the fall season to build a team...?

Ferrothorn is great

I understand Amoongus

Focus Sash on Garchomp. Pls. It's just much better. Allows you to survive, and deal a helluva lot of damage in return.

Scarf is better on Gardevoir, but I understand the specs, especially if you're going to keep scarf Amoongus. But if you're going to do that, give Gardevoir as much speed as possible. It's not worth the defense investments if she's gonna die. I run 140 defense, 140 special attack, 228 speed timid nature. Despite what E said, Trace can still be good, especially against the mons you seem to have trouble against. Flash Fire is hilarious to trace, Parental Bond is godly, the rare Competitive, Synchronize, Healer, and many other things that could be useful. I'd only consider telepathy if you have several mons that can damage their partners, or if you plan on using GardeChomp a lot.

Talonflame: Sky Plate deals plenty of damage and gives you the range of life orb without the backfire. Also allows you to use great utility like Tailwind (which would make your amoongus one of the fastest things on the field) and quick guard for annoying pokes like K-khan, fellow talonflame, meowstic, klefki, sucker punch, and other priority abusers. In the same vein, I'd consider getting rid of Acrobatics, because no one thinks "hm, a talonflame, I know! Knock off it is." U-turn is fine, uncommon, but fine, but Acrobatics should go for Tailwind or Quick Guard.

K-khan. You mentioned Sucker Punch but don't have it. I'd just get rid of protect, run all attacking. K-khan should do nothing but cause offensive pressure. He's going to get teamed up on anyways, just use the Sucker Punch, get rid of a mon, and use your partner to get rid of the other. Using protect means you're putting your partner in jeopardy, as strange as it sounds. Other than that it's solid.

Pretty good team!

You're aware that Vivillon exists right? With a 97.5% accurate Sleep Powder with Compoundeyes as well as Rage Powder, it's pretty much the same thing as your Amoonguss albeit less tanky but faster. Not to mention a 91% accurate Hurricane which is pretty nice.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
You're aware that Vivillon exists right? With a 97.5% accurate Sleep Powder with Compoundeyes as well as Rage Powder, it's pretty much the same thing as your Amoonguss albeit less tanky but faster. Not to mention a 91% accurate Hurricane which is pretty nice.
Vivillon only has base 89 speed so it won't really outspeed anything major, also it's SUPER frail so it can probably use only one rage powder.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Jumpluff is even faster and has infiltrator to sleep through subs and safeguard. It also has rage powder, encore, helping hand, and some other neat support moves. Plus it's also immune to other powder moves which is kinda nice.

Vivillon only has base 89 speed so it won't really outspeed anything major, also it's SUPER frail so it can probably use only one rage powder.
Regardless I fail to see how a Scarf Amoonguss can possibly be better... Vivillon may be squishy, but for this particular role the OP is trying to fulfill he's not really looking for something incredibly tanky. If you're looking for a fast sleep as well as redirection then Vivillon and Jumpluff, as Pyritie mentioned, are indefinitely better than a Scarfed Amoonguss.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
Regardless I fail to see how a Scarf Amoonguss can possibly be better... Vivillon may be squishy, but for this particular role the OP is trying to fulfill he's not really looking for something incredibly tanky. If you're looking for a fast sleep as well as redirection then Vivillon and Jumpluff, as Pyritie mentioned, are indefinitely better than a Scarfed Amoonguss.
True true...

:I can you explain the items at least? i mean what are you expecting to hit garchomp other than fake out users, other dragon claw/outrage users and mawile using play rough? and why lum berry over something like leftovers?
I mean, if you're going to criticize the guy for using Scarf Amoonguss, criticize the Scarf Amoonguss. Gardevoir is a little unorthodox but it makes sense, and the rest of the team is solid enough. I don't get why you'd question Lum Ferrothorn and Helmet Chomp.

The reason I think scarf Amoonguss works is because of surprise. How often you expect the Amoonguss to be scarfed and outspeed your rotom? My Amoonguss is pretty situational though, i rarely use it unless i see Rotom-H, Aegislash, or a lot of slow pokemon that aren't immune to spore.

Updated the team.

Last edited:
I mean, if you're going to criticize the guy for using Scarf Amoonguss, criticize the Scarf Amoonguss. Gardevoir is a little unorthodox but it makes sense, and the rest of the team is solid enough. I don't get why you'd question Lum Ferrothorn and Helmet Chomp.
i never criticized the scarf amoongus and saw no problem in the gardevoir. i questioned lum ferro because i feel there are higher priority burn targets than a ferrothorn in garchomp and heracross since he switched out amoongus for it. and with how common dragon pulse, hp ice/ice beam, and draco meteor are he wasn't going to get much usage of rocky helmet on it other than maybe against mawile and mega-khan

Last edited:

Mr.E

im the best
is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
Ferrothorn is a pretty common target for burns, since that cuts down its surprisingly strong Power Whip and Gyro Ball while also going a long way toward nullifying the typical Leftovers and Leech Seed Healing it tends to do. It mains Rotom-W. It can also be anti-Smeargle in a pinch, although personally I'd rather Garchomp the Lum Berry and Ferrothorn the Rocky Helmet (or Leftovers). Lum is pretty good on any physical attacker that doesn't have a built-in way to handle Burns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)