Project VGC Teambuilding Competition 2022

approved by zeefable
VGC_TMBding_Comp.png

What is the VGC Teambuilding Competition?

Each week, a Pokemon is selected and players participating are given until Friday to build a team with that Pokemon. Then over the weekend everyone will vote and the team with the most votes will be added to the hall of fame along with the creator's name.

RULES
  • Team Submission: Post a pokepaste of the team alongside a brief explanation on how the team functions and why you chose each member of the team. Feel free to add other miscellaneous info like the teambuilding process and gameplans. Make sure to include sprites or images of each member as well, sprites are made like this :ss/pokemonname:. Remember that the team you post is final and you cannot make changes after submission.

• Stealing/Copying: Refrain from copying or stealing existing teams that you didn't make yourself. This undermines the spirit of competition and you may be prevented from participating in future weeks.

• Voting: Voting will happen on the weekend each week. Each team submitted will be assigned a letter and you can vote for the letters by listing them out from worst to best or vice versa. For example, if you think team A is the best, followed by B, C and D, you would post A>B>C>D. You do not have to submit a team in order to vote.

• Keep it Organized: Please do not post one liners or advice in this thread. This can be done in DMs but not here. If you do receive advice about a team you post here, do not change your post as all submissions are final.

• Suggestions: DM me if you have any suggestions for the thread. I will consider them but cannot guarantee their implementation.

(OP partly taken from Bananers and the 2021 thread)

Last edited:

yone

THE ONE
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
https://pokepast.es/d70f71deccf7cd36
:Yveltal: :Groudon: :Bronzong: :Venusaur: :Incineroar: :Whimsicott:

Sun based team, not a lot of things to explain here, the Rain matchup is totally covered by AV Yveltal and sunny day whim helps a lot in this MU too.
Bronzong here to carry vs Zacian & Calyrex ice.
Caly shadow mu totally covered by yveltal and incineroar, the main idea is to let Venusaur do is job if possible.

Last edited:
:yveltal: :zacian-crowned: :suicune: :incineroar: :rillaboom: :landorus-therian: <--- click the guys for team paste
threw these 6 together, did a short 1500 speedrun and won a couple room tours along the way.

:yveltal: :zacian-crowned:
Yveltal with life orb has big strong and clicks airstream. Zacian is here to take out AV yveltal and ice rider whilst make the opponent cry during endgames. Zacian becomes very happy when the bullies like Calyrex shadow and Solgaleo die to max darkness. Helping hand calcs are always a joy to see.

188+ SpA Life Orb Yveltal Helping Hand Max Airstream vs. 236 HP / 108+ SpD Incineroar: 203-239 (101.5 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 164+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Helping Hand Behemoth Blade vs. 4 HP / 4 Def Dynamax Thundurus: 322-380 (103.8 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
188+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Helping Hand Max Darkness vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dynamax Solgaleo: 562-663 (115.1 - 135.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
188+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Helping Hand Max Darkness vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kyogre: 192-227 (109 - 128.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:suicune:
Suicune is probably the only "weird" mon here but it enables Zacian and Yveltal really well with helping hand and tailwind. Snarl is nice for Kyogre as both restricteds can get chunked by water moves. Scald is cool because it makes the opponent release tear 30% of the time.

:rillaboom: :incineroar: :landorus-therian:
A couple broken guys who round the team out. Incineroar is a great defensive pivot for opposing Zacian, Calyrex forms, etc. With safety goggles it can slow down Venusaur and the mushroom. Rillaboom serves as another funny endgame tool and a third way of making shadow rider cry with knock off. Landorus is only there for Eleki and to bluff AV on Yveltal since this thing is usually life orb. SD also helps against the more passive grimmsnarl leads that a lot of teams struggle with rn.

:ss/yveltal:
The general idea behind the team is to enable the restricteds with helping hand and tailwind to clean up with either Zacian, Rillaboom or both. However, the team has the bulk and pivoting to play the long game and win with a late Yveltal dynamax. The two main dynamax candidates in Lando and Yvel allow for both a proactive "haha click button" max and a setup max, being able to play into both passivity and aggression. Overall I think life orb Yvel is a genuine threat and the team enables it really well.

Oh and shoutouts Mr.GX, Mew Mew is the truth.

Funny Voting Time.

You may vote by ordering the 3 teams from your favourite to least favourite like this: A>B>C.
These votes will give 3, 2 and 1 points respectively.
The team with the most points will win.
Don't vote for yourself or you're cringe.

Team A by Hervalt
https://pokepast.es/d70f71deccf7cd36
:Yveltal: :Groudon: :Bronzong: :Venusaur: :Incineroar: :Whimsicott:

Sun based team, not a lot of things to explain here, the Rain matchup is totally covered by AV Yveltal and sunny day whim helps a lot in this MU too.
Bronzong here to carry vs Zacian & Calyrex ice.
Caly shadow mu totally covered by yveltal and incineroar, the main idea is to let Venusaur do is job if possible.
Team B by Evelyie
https://pokepast.es/64d839c3599d90e5
I'll just leave my Hatt. Series IV team here as my submission

:zacian-crowned: :yveltal: Zacian-C Yveltal is oppresive as fuck

:blastoise: Blastoise hits very hard and setups greatly the endgame for restricteds

:rillaboom: for the water walls

:landorus-therian: for the electrics

:thundurus: glues the team together
Team C by Microwave Raccoon
:yveltal: :zacian-crowned: :suicune: :incineroar: :rillaboom: :landorus-therian: <--- click the guys for team paste
threw these 6 together, did a short 1500 speedrun and won a couple room tours along the way.

:yveltal: :zacian-crowned:
Yveltal with life orb has big strong and clicks airstream. Zacian is here to take out AV yveltal and ice rider whilst make the opponent cry during endgames. Zacian becomes very happy when the bullies like Calyrex shadow and Solgaleo die to max darkness. Helping hand calcs are always a joy to see.

188+ SpA Life Orb Yveltal Helping Hand Max Airstream vs. 236 HP / 108+ SpD Incineroar: 203-239 (101.5 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 164+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Helping Hand Behemoth Blade vs. 4 HP / 4 Def Dynamax Thundurus: 322-380 (103.8 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
188+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Helping Hand Max Darkness vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dynamax Solgaleo: 562-663 (115.1 - 135.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
188+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Helping Hand Max Darkness vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kyogre: 192-227 (109 - 128.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:suicune:
Suicune is probably the only "weird" mon here but it enables Zacian and Yveltal really well with helping hand and tailwind. Snarl is nice for Kyogre as both restricteds can get chunked by water moves. Scald is cool because it makes the opponent release tear 30% of the time.

:rillaboom: :incineroar: :landorus-therian:
A couple broken guys who round the team out. Incineroar is a great defensive pivot for opposing Zacian, Calyrex forms, etc. With safety goggles it can slow down Venusaur and the mushroom. Rillaboom serves as another funny endgame tool and a third way of making shadow rider cry with knock off. Landorus is only there for Eleki and to bluff AV on Yveltal since this thing is usually life orb. SD also helps against the more passive grimmsnarl leads that a lot of teams struggle with rn.

:ss/yveltal:
The general idea behind the team is to enable the restricteds with helping hand and tailwind to clean up with either Zacian, Rillaboom or both. However, the team has the bulk and pivoting to play the long game and win with a late Yveltal dynamax. The two main dynamax candidates in Lando and Yvel allow for both a proactive "haha click button" max and a setup max, being able to play into both passivity and aggression. Overall I think life orb Yvel is a genuine threat and the team enables it really well.

Oh and shoutouts Mr.GX, Mew Mew is the truth.

ok new thing

with VGCPL signups just starting, I'm reviving this so that people can showcase their teams and pretend the team managers will see it.

so just post your favorite/best team from this format and an explanation (you can write a whole essay I don't care).

Have fun!

Current team:
:Xerneas: :Groudon: :Charizard-Gmax: :Sableye: :Regieleki: :Urshifu-Gmax:

Prelude:
I was having a hard time this series, not finding the usual groove of trick room. It seemed like every other game was loss. I was feeling pretty down, and I was gonna drop VGC for this series, or worse, fold under the pressure and use swordfish. Enter random VGC chat person Xernedon abuser. I saw their username, and it got me thinking; why does nobody use Xerneas Groudon? This question was soon to be answered, but not quite yet.

Stage 1 of the team:
Can't have a XernDon team without Xerneas and Groudon.

:Xerneas: :power-herb: :Groudon: :white-herb:

So this was the base of the team. Almost immediately I knew what sets I wanted the herb holders to use. Originally I was gonna use a Life orb Xerneas, but I felt that wasn't worth it because I wanted to see what might need a Life orb more. Right off the bat I knew I needed something to beat Zacian.

:Charizard-Gmax: :Lum-berry:

Charizard was the perfect (not really) counter for Zacian. It still takes 62% MINIMUM from 76 atk, adamant Zacian. Even if it does get chunked (quite a lot) from Zacian, it does massive damage in return.

:Rillaboom: :assault-vest: :regieleki: :life-orb:

Next I needed a counter to Kyogre, as my current team was nothing compared to the whale known as my stepmot- I mean Kyogre. Rillaboom was a surefire way to beat it in the endgame, and Regieleki is there because I needed speed control as well, to make sure tailwind wasn't too much of a problem.

But there was a bigger fish in the sea...

Stage 1.5:
I didn't know what to use for the last mon. It seemed that this team had no weaknesses, as I was cleaving through the ladder and room tournaments. Eventually I found a "weakness" in the opposing sun matchups (which wasn't true at all). I figured that the best way to solve this was everyones favorite pokemon.

:Landorus-therian: :assault-vest: (I gave Rillaboom a Miracle Seed)

Landorus was a powerful threat, because it helped against pokemon that I felt like I was struggling with (the previously mentioned sun, Incineroar, and Zacian). This team was much more formidable than before, and I wasn't struggling that much at all. There was nothing wrong with it...

Pre-stage 2: I noticed Landorus wasn't doing much when I had a well played Charizard+Groudon. But it was fine for when I needed it, and did what I wanted it to.

Stage 2 of the team:
Calyrex Shadow exists :). I almost forgot about it, but the matchup couldn't be that hard... right? Wrong! I got destroyed by every single one I went up against. It felt unstoppable. Then someone in VGC chat mentioned something about a goblin.

:Grimmsnarl-Gmax: :light-clay:

Grimmsnarl helped me tremendously against... wel everything! Not just Calyrex Shadow was invalidated by the scary looking screen setter. He gave me speed control along with the extra bulk.

As this version of the team progressed I noticed I was using the little drummer monke less and less. It wasn't that good in Kyogre matchups, as now I had Regieleki and Grimmsnarl. What was there to fear? Well I ran into draining kiss Calyrex shadow (too much), and the Ice horse was running through my team as soon as trick room got up.

Stage 3 of the team:
Turns out the goblin wasn't the only prankster I needed to counter the horses, and so came the gremlin.

:Sableye: :Focus-sash:

Not only does this thing make opponents go last, but it has fake out, and a good way to stomp on physical attackers. There wasn't much it couldn't do for the team.

Other than adding Sableye, I switched Scorching sands to Ancient power on Charizard, and it's item became Charti Berry.

Stage 4 of the team:
Grimmsnarl was getting less and less used ever since I put the gem-eyed fairy weak prankster on the team. Whenever I would bring it I would lose, even to Calyrex which it was intended for. So once again I turned to the almighty chat for help, for an offensive counter to the horse. I (they) came up with:

:Urshifu-Gmax: :Choice-scarf:

This was exactly what I needed. That's it. That's the team, and that's the point I've gotten to currently.

Postlude? Outro? Ending?:
Currently I'm doing a lot better than I was. My record went from 28/28 to 56/42. I'm having trouble with a few things that could be solved by better playing (meaning switching Xerneas to Zacian), which I'm not quite ready to do yet.

:calyrex-shadow: :Zacian-crowned: :regieleki: :grimmsnarl-gmax: :incineroar: :gastrodon-east:
https://pokepast.es/91802cf2437739df CalyZac by My friend and Icegod777 (Me)

Prelude:
So when vgc 2022 started, I saw a video talking about it from an early prospective. I saw a comment that completely changed how I viewed the series. I saw a comment that said something that Calyrex-Shadow + Zacian-C was gonna be really good because Max Phantasm and Behemoth Blade KOed lots of things. So I got an idea and I started to build a team with CalyZac.

:calyrex-shadow::life orb: :Zacian-crowned::rusted sword:

Early Version of the team

So when I started thinking about CalyZac, I quickly figured out that Defiant Assault Vest Thundurus was going to be good for the team since it has good special bulk with the AV, it has Max Airstream speed control, counters Kyogre, is decent against opposing Calyrex-Shadow and, most importantly CHECKS INCINEROAR.

:calyrex-shadow::life orb: :Zacian-crowned::rusted sword: :Thundurus::assault vest:

With that done, I felt like I needed more speed control, so I wanted to use Whimsicott because it has Tailwind speed control and also because Helping Hand + Zacian Behemoth Blade / Calyrex-Shadow Astral Barrage was insane. I put a Mental Herb on Whimsicott so that it can deny Taunts and Encores from specifically, opposing whimsicott.

:calyrex-shadow::life orb: :Zacian-crowned::rusted sword: :Thundurus::assault vest: :whimsicott::mental herb:

I felt like I needed a better way of checking Calyrex-Shadow and Calyrex-Ice, so I added Urshifu-Single Strike to the team because it ohkos Calyrex-S with Sucker Punch and Calyrex-I with Wicked Blow. I also realized that it was very weak to Zacian-C, so I added a Focus Sash to live at least for one turn unless it’s double targeted. Finally, I also figured out that Tailwind Whimsicott + Protect Urshifu made a very good lead because next turn I could use Helping Hand + (Strong Move

:calyrex-shadow::life orb: :Zacian-crowned::rusted sword: :Thundurus::assault vest: :whimsicott::mental herb: :urshifu-gmax::focus sash:

Finally, I knew that I wanted Incineroar because it was a good Zacian-C counter and that it was just an amazing utility mon in general. So finally, I
was done with the early version of this team.

:calyrex-shadow::life orb: :Zacian-crowned::rusted sword: :Thundurus::assault vest: :whimsicott::mental herb: :urshifu-gmax::focus sash: :incineroar::sitrus berry:

Mid Stage

Once I realized how bad my team was after some testing for about 1 month, I decided to ditch the team and just go with a standard team. I was looking for good CalyZac teams and I saw Neil VGC’s Caly Zac Thundurus Blastoise team, I was impressed with it’s performance and decided to use it, and it was pretty good, I got more wins and I think I improved as a vgc player in general.

After about another month with the team, I felt comfortable with it and liked it, so I used it to get high results in Pokémon Showdown room tours.

Current Stage

I remember that I just won one of my first vgc 2022 room tours with Willy’s YvelZac team and then my friend messaged me on Discord discussing “a cool idea” that Grimmsnarl + LO Calyrex-S is broken because you get screens, you Dmax Caly-S and go crazy with that.

He told me that the core works well with Zacian-C because it very much benefits from screens and Max Calyrex-S. He also added Gastrodon because it was good against Kyogre, Palkia, Blastoise, Barraskewda, opposing Gastro and more. He also added Incin because it was great utility, taunt shut down trick room, and was good against the mirror match up. Finally, he added Thundurus because it naturally wad a great partner for CalyZac because of reasons described before. After a while of testing that team, he told me that Eleki would actually be better than Thundurus for the mirror match up. He described that Eleki is faster than max speed Caly-S and max speed Zacian-C, so you could outspeed them and go crazy with your max moves like max lightning, max darkness and max airstream and he added that AV Eleki is still a great counter to Kyogre and other big special attackers like Yveltal and Charizard.

Team Breakdown

:Zacian-Crowned: :Rusted Sword:
Nature: Adamant
-Behemoth Blade
-Close Combat
-Substitute
-Protect

This Zacian set is a standard substitute set. Behemoth Blade does massive damage to lots of mons and is very important as a counter measure to many Dynamax abusers such as Yveltal, Lando-T, Caly-I, Palkia, Eleki, Venu, Zard, etc. Close Combat is a very cool move that OHKOS Incin at +1 and also does more damage to many steel types such as ferrothorn, kartana, and dialga and in general rounds out Zacian’s coverage. Protect is there because it’s protect, let’s you not take damage for a turn, letting you stall out turns of TR, opposing Tailwind, Etc. Substitute is an interesting move that is especially good for stalling turns against Trick Room teams like Palkyrex-I and it also gives you freedom to freely attack because the substitute is protecting you.

:Calyrex-Shadow: :Life Orb:
Nature: Timid
-Astral Barrage
-Mud Shot
-Hyper Beam
-Protect

This is a very… different Calyrex-S set. Most Caly-S run Focus Sash with Astral Barrage, Snarl/Psyshock, Will O Wisp, and Protect but this set uses more interesting moves but for a good reason. Astral Barrage is there because it’s a very strong stab spread move that can snowball late game or do massive damage early game as a dmax abuser alongside Zacian-C. Hyper Beam is there because when you Dynamax, it turns into max strike at 150 power, which does massive damage to stuff like Urshifu and Yveltal but more importantly, it gives you speed control. Mud shot is there because when you Dynamax, it turns into Max Quake, which ohkos Incin without Shuca Berry and it also gives you a Special Defense boost, which can be very important sometimes. Life Orb was chosen because since it’s partnered with screens Grimmsnarl, it wont need the Focus Sash and also the power boost is crucial in getting some key KOes like OHKOing Zacian-C with Max Quake.

:Regieleki: :Assault Vest:
Nature: Adamant
-Wild Charge
-Bounce
-Assurance
-Electroweb

Standard Physical AV Eleki Set. This set helps you against the CalyZac mirror due to Max Darkness OHKOing Caly-S and Max Lightning having a 37.5% chance to OHKO 108 HP 4 Def Zacian-C after electric terrain was already set up from a previous Max Lightning and if any other move was used against the opposing Zacian-C, It most likely gets KOed. This Regieleki is also good as support with Electroweb, supporting especially Zacian-C and Caly-S and it is also a great answer to Kyogre, since physical Max Lightning obliterates it.

:Grimmsnarl-gmax: :light clay:
Nature: Careful
-Spirit Break
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Scary Face

Just a standard Grimmsnarl set. This Grimmsnarl is great against a lot of things because it has speed control, damage reduction and damage itself. Spirit Break is just an amazing move, making special attackers weaker but also doing stab damage. Grimmsnarl is my best Palkia answer because it uses Light Screen to reduce Palkia’s attacking power and then next turn just Spirit Break, lowering Palkia’s special attack and also always 2HKOing Palkia. This Grimmsnarl is also good against opposing Calyrex-S, Kyogre, Charizard, and Yveltal. Light Clay was chosen so that the screens can last for basically the whole game unless they stall, which the screens will last for most of the game.

:Incineroar: :safety goggles:
Nature: Careful
-Flare Blitz
-Taunt
-Parting Shot
-Fake Out

Can’t go wrong with classic Incin. This Incin is good against stuff like Zacian-C, Calyrex-I, Charizard and Caly-S. Flare Blitz is there because it’s a good, strong STAB move that does lots of damage to lots of things like Zacian-C, Calyrex-I, Venusaur, Kartana, Rillaboom, Ferrothorn, Amoonguss and more. Taunt is an amazing countermeasure to stuff like Trick Room and Spore. Parting Shot is a great move because it allows you to pivot and also reduce opposing damage. Fake Out is there as a great way of redirection, letting Zacian-C set up Substitute for example, Fake Out just gives you a free turn basically. Safety Goggles was chosen so that if the opposing Trick Room was set up, I would Protect my partner and Taunt the Amoonguss so that they can’t spam Spore and just go crazy with attacking to Win the game. Also the extra bulk from not taking weather damage is nice.

:Gastrodon: :leftovers:
Nature: Modest
-Earth Power
-Icy Wind
-Yawn
-Protect

Me and my friend decided to add Gastrodon as the last Pokémon because it counters water types and Zacian really well. At first it was a bit of a toss up with weather we should get Gastrodon or Blastoise because they both had their own unique advantages. We finally settled on Gastrodon because we saw that Blastoise was passive for an offensive mon but not that good in defense. Earth Power is there as a stab that does lots of damage to Zacian-C, Incin, Dialga, and Eleki and it does chip damage to Kyogre, Palkia, opposing Caly-S and Gastrodon, etc. Icy Wind is a great way of getting speed control on both foes and also doing chip damage in the process. Yawn is an amazing way of stalling the opponent’s Dynamax and combined with Protect, you don’t take much damage next turn and they go to sleep because of the yawn that you set up previously.

Thanks for reading the team report, try the team out, the team very fun to use and the team is also strong against the current meta. Hope you have a good day! Bye!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)