VGC VGC2019 Ultra - Some ideas

Hi everyone!
Sorry in advance for my bad english.
I always played Pokemon in OU and when I read the new format rule of the VGC19 Ultra, I started to make my team.
I focused on counter the always present Incineroar, Kyogre etc...
Now I'll start the presentation:

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Well, classic Infernape 2014. In all my games, always the lead. Fake out on Kyogre or better on Incineroar (so I will prevent it's fake out). With the intimidate and downgraded attack, it forces Incineroar to switch or die to close combat (Tyranitar with pursuit incoming if I predict a protect on the other pokemon). I don't know why, but people always understimate him a lot and hit the other pokemon (usually tyranitar).
I tested Arcanine and Blaziken, but I didn't choose them in 20/25 matches. Arcanine do a good job on lead, but he always take the fake out and die. Blaziken on lead it's impossible, cause it lacks priority moves and I always started with a protect in order to obtain the speed boost
Maybe the Spe ev's are too much, but I cannot sense very well the base speed of a format so large

Tyranitar @ Mago Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Atk / 36 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
- Bulldoze
- Protect

Bulky tyranitar for a sandstorm on a scarfed kyogre. Pursuit in combo with the forced switch did by the presence of Infernape. Rock slide for stab, protect and I'm not quite sure about Bulldoze. I sensed that it laks brute force to kill 1vs1 opponent

Gyarados @ Red Card
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Atk / 56 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance

I preferred a semi-bulky gyarados in order to use it to take down half-life opponets. Waterfall stab, stone edge for the rest. Intimidate is always a good ability.
Red card cause Gyarados enters the battlefield on the second or third round (usually on infernape u-turn and bulldoze tyranitar and with the enemy Landorus on the field) and force switch a boosted pokemon. Maybe the item can be changed

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite

Scizor-mega: present in half the matches I did, he took me to the victory quiet easy. Always had the turn to sword-dance or protect and then hit hard all the fairies (tapu) and xerneas. It does quite well on some Rayquaza, Dialga and Palkia. Bug bite on the turn that u are sure to don't have to have priority and maybe eat some enemy berries

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Zapdos.... well zapdos..... standard Zapdos..... better than koko cause of the incoming eartq, bulldoze or Groudon attack

Snorlax @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 172 Def
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Recycle
- Return
- Rock Slide

I choose Snorlax when I'm sure that a trick room team is coming. It hits so hard. With the trick room in game, I preferred rock slide (with the 30% flinch rate) over earthq

During the testing, I had hard time against teams with Mega-Gallade and prankster whimsicott used as lead. I wanted to do a team with old gen pkmn (I'm a nostalgic RBY trainer....) in order to surprise unpreparred teams (copy/paste trainers with 1200 rating on Showdown!).
Enemy Tailwind made me hard times, but with scizor and predicted protect I won 40 on 63 matches.
Counter Origin-Kyogre without Groudon or Rayquaza it's so hard....

Thanks in advance for any advices and feel free to test it if u liked my idea

I'll say some points about each Pokemon individually:

Infernape: As much as I don't want to say it, there's not much reason for running Infernape over Incineroar due to Intimidate, higher attack and higher bulk. I know that with Infernape you get STAB Close Combat and faster speed but it's generally not worth it.

Tyranitar: Pursuit isn't used in VGC unlike in Singles due to there being less switching. Knock Off is generally a better Dark STAB to have. Also, I would not recommend Bulldoze when you can have many other coverage moves such as Ice Punch.

Gyarados: Red Card is such an awkward item to have to be honest and I would also recommend having Gyarados as your Mega rather than Scizor since you gain access to a Dark STAB and you gain more attack. Also, I'd run Earthquake over Stone Edge.

Mega Scizor: Pretty good Mega Scizor although be weary of using Mega Scizor when Primal Groudon is available. Also, Sword's Dance is hard to use in Doubles. Maybe suggest another coverage move such as Aerial Ace or Knock Off. Another convenience note is: don't go through the hassle to get Light Metal as its hidden ability for Pre-Mega purpose. It just isn't worth it.

Zapdos: Pretty solid Zapdos if I may add. Your use of Zapdos is another reason to run Earthquake of Gyarados.

Snorlax: In order for your Belly Drum/Aguav Berry strategy to work, you need Gluttony, not Thick Fat. Also, I would suggest running High Horsepower over Rock Slide mainly due to the fact that you have Tyranitar.

Your biggest issue with the team though is that you don't include any of the restricted Pokemon. These are generally your bread and butter of the team and without them, it can be hard to face off against other teams that do include them. Also, I'm not sure why you needed to be wary of Mega Gallade leads since they aren't common enough for you to prepare for them. Also, your team is more suited for an OU team which is a very different Metagame to VGC. Take that in mind too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)