Pet Mod ViAbilities

Voting has ended, with Dilasc's submission winning.

Ability: Telepathy
New Effect: Psychic type -ate
Competitive Reasoning: Powered up Psychic moves are never a bad thing especially on strong normal moves.
Thematic Reasoning: I feel this ability speaks for itself. Not the most exciting buff but eh.
Buffed Pokemon: The most interesting buff is Noivern who gets Psychic type Boom Burst which I guess can get around Toxapex.
Ema Skye's Tangled Feet
Ability: Tangled Feet
New Effect: When switching in, the first move this Pokemon uses will usually go first. (+1 priority)
Competitive Reasoning: Revenge killing is a fundamental aspect of Pokemon, as you can't possibly check every Pokemon in your team since there's like 900 of them. Tangled Feet turns the user into a powerful revenge killer, negating speed bonuses and allowing the use of high priority moves. Gale Wings is the obvious comparison here. Gen 6 Gale Wings is, imo, more powerful than this as it allows consecutive uses, but this is definitely stronger than Gen 7/8 Gale Wings which, and I think most of us would agree, is over-nerfed.

Speaking specifically to Mr. Rime, they have a wide array of moves that would blend well here. Some possible applications: offensive moves to revenge (Ice/Psychic STAB & Ghost, Electric, Fighting and Grass coverage - Choice Specs sets would like this), Rapid Spin to remove hazards and boost speed (possibly useful to get an easy boost), Slack Off (on second switch in), other boosting moves (Nasty Plot, Calm Mind), and some other Prankster-style tricks (Hypnosis, Trick, Taunt, Screens and Block). Ideally, future users of Tangled Feet will have additional quirks aside from just launching strong attacks.

Thematic Reasoning: Tangling implies inconsistency (especially the Japanese name - Tottering). The priority effect is inconsistent as a result. Or picture the Pokemon tripping over itself after it's first attack, giving it normal priority again.
guruu's Shell Armor
Ability: Shell Armor
New Effect: If the user is healthy, all incoming attacks are calculated against it's Defense. Shell Smash changes the user's ability to Weak Armor.
Competitive Reasoning: Besides Lapras and Escavalier, all other fully-evolved Shell Armored Pokemon have a much higher Defense than Special Defense stat and would really appreciate this new effect. The "must be status-free" clause was added to keep Rest + Curse/Iron Defense sets from being overpowered.
Thematic Reasoning: The Pokemon uses its hard shell to block attacks.
My Sweet Veil
Ability: Sweet Veil
New Effect: Sets a screen on entry which heals any ally Pokemon by 1/16th of their maximum HP at the end of the turn.
Competitive Reasoning: Pokemon with this ability could become more supportive in general, making up for their mostly subpar stats. Ribombee in particular could have an extra layer of utility with Sweet Veil + U-turn, allowing it to pivot into a bulkier teammate after setting its webs.
Thematic Reasoning: Sweet Veil acting as an actual "veil".
G-Luke's Run Away
Ability: Run Away
New Effect: If the foe has a super effective move or an OHKO move, it will immediately switch out.
Competitive Reasoning: Being able to switch out upon sensing a super effective move allows these Pokemon to get massive momentum for their team, keeping the opponent on their toes and in general making the meta much fast paced. It is held back by being triggered by ANY uper effective move however, so even a mere Water Pulse would force them out.
Thematic Reasoning: Running away from wild battles is what Run away does, and since everything has the same level in competitive, making them switch when a super effective move is the best comparision i could come up with.
Buffed Pokemon: While several Pokemon already have great abilities, Run Away could still be very prime for pivoting, especially on a Pokemon like Rapidash-Galar who has eh abilities to work with already.

We'll now be moving into the second stage, with these users:

Tangled Feet :Mr. Rime: +
Shell Armor
:Cloyster: :Crawdaunt: :Escavalier: :Torkoal: :Turtonator: :Kingler: :Drednaw: :Crustle: :Lapras:
Sweet Veil :Ribombee: :Tsareena: :Slurpuff: :Alcremie: +
Telepathy
:Gardevoir: :Noivern: :Orbeetle: :Beheeyem: :Musharna:
Run Away :Dunsparce: :Rapidash: :Rapidash-Galar: :Thievul: (:Butterfree: :Stoutland: :Ninjask: :Shedinja: :Vileplume: :Bellossom: :Dubwool: :Flareon: :Vaporeon: :Jolteon: :Espeon: :Umbreon: :Glaceon: :Leafeon: :Sylveon:)

Note that Tangled Feet and Sweet Veil can have new users added, and that Jolteon is ineligible for further buffs, as it has already received 2 Stage 2 buffs from Battery and Anticipation. Submissions will end next Thursday at 8 PM EST.

Hematite - 4
Dilasc - 5

Pokemon: Turtonator
Stats: 75/63/145/106/85/36 (510)
Stat Changes: +15/-15/+10/+15/0/0 (+25)
New Moves: Slack Off, Spikes, Stealth Rock

Turt has great defense and has the right typing to get in on the right foe, such as Volcarona, the Steel/Flyers, Scizor, Magnezone Magerna, and then set up spikes or Rocks while Slacking Off all the damage with its 75/145/145 defenses.

252 SpA Choice Specs Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Turtonator: 177-208 (50 - 58.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Keep in mind that most Mags don't use this move.

Before you think this thing is oppressively defensive, keep in mind it almost requires HDB, is weak to Rock, Dragon, and Ground and is slow as hell. It might require wish support but it likely can get a few layers of hazard up or burn the incoming STAB abuser that thinks they can set up on Turt.

Pokemon: Alcremie
Ability: Sweet Veil/Aroma Veil
Stats: 80/45/90/115/126/64 (520)
Stat Changes: +15/-15/+15/+5/+5/0 (+25)
New Moves: Moon Blast, Toxic Spikes, Thunderbolt

The cakemon is deliciously too low and perhaps the Sweetmon in most need of a tier booster. Still lacking in the coverage, pivoting, Knock Off and Stealth Rocks that gives Clefable its high tier status, Alcremie has been Special defensive and Special Attacking stats and Toxic Spikes. This combo can be abused to utilize either hazard play or to just Calm Mind on the right special attacker.

Pokemon: Musharna
Ability: Forewarn/Synchronize (Telepathy)
Stats: 131/45/100/112/110/14 (512)
Stat Changes: +15/-10/+15/+5/+15/-15 (+25)
New Moves: Boomburst, Teleport, Slack Off

All hail the once near-mascot of Sylvemons, Musharna is the worst Telepath, other than Oranguru whose typing really goes against the spirit of the ability. Alienmon likely wants Analytic and Orbeetle has Sticky Webs niche. Musharna sacrifices all of its speed for a powerful Boomburst. Keep in mind, that it is so very slow and while it can set up Trick Room, is the tradeoff worth the time?

252+ SpA Life Orb Telepathy Musharna Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna: 156-183 (51.8 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's strong for an attack vs a resist, but keep in mind that Magearna is faster so if you want to get the 2hko you will be going last. Dark types are troublesome. Granted, this mon now has the slowest pivot of all time with 14 speed teleport which it can pull off with its high defenses. Granted, the Urshifu-Dark, Marowak-A, and Volcarona meta isn't very kind to psychic types, especially very slow ones. Slowbro doesn't care.

252+ SpA Musharna Telepathy Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 164 SpD Slowbro: 135-159 (34.3 - 40.4%) -- 51.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Goodra doesn't care and even laughs at the Moonblast coverage.

252+ SpA Telepathy Musharna Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 127-150 (33.1 - 39.1%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO

Slowbro can Calm Mind and Recover or keep pivoting out if it wants. If Shell Armor bro takes off, then it goes without saying that Mushy is even worse against it.

Adamant Banded Urshi KOs even when Mush has some defensive investment. It's always faster too, if you were even going to think of second guessing.

252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 244 Def Musharna on a critical hit: 512-606 (109.8 - 130%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If the stats for Mushyboy are too much then I will take a hatchet to them or swap Boomburst with Hyper Voice but I've posted a bunch of checks and counters so far and the meta would need time to truly test it out. Still, it's a very slow mon and despite being defensively a better Mew, it lacks Mew's movepool diversity, even if it has a great ability.

Last edited:
Pokemon: Dunsparce
Ability Being Modified: Run Away
Stats: 105/85/80/50/80/40
Stat Changes: +5/+15/+10/-15/+15/-5
New Moves:
Sample Set:

Serene Grace Set
Item: Leftovers
Adamant Nature
252 HP/252 Attack/4 Def(or SpD)
-Coil
-Roost
-Glare
-Headbutt

You are not using this thing with run away ever. I want you all to understand that. I don't care if the ability is buffed serene grace is just out right better most of the time. Anyway you glare, use coil a few times, proceed to headbutt, and then roost when needed. If you can pull that off good job, if you can't well at least you tried.

Pokemon: Gardevoir
Ability Being Modified: Telepathy
Stats: 68/65/65/130/120/95
Stat Changes: 0/0/0/+5/+5/+15
New Moves: Sparkling Aria, Fire Blast
Sample Set:

My Waifu is Calming to Laifu
Item: Life Orb
Timid Nature
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Speed
-Calm Mind
-Moonblast
-Hyper Voice
-Fire Blast/Shadow Ball

So calm mind or scarfed is probably what this this will end up using. With calm mind you got the two stabs and then Fire Blast or Shadow Ball to pick whatever weakness you want to destroy. Of course a swift bullet punch to the face will end it, but hopefully it's increased HP will make the blow go by slower.

Pokemon: Kingler
Ability Being Modified: Shell Armor
Stats: 65/130/130/35/50/90
Stat Changes: +10/±0/+15/-15/±0/+15
New Moves: Ice Punch, Earthquake
Sample Set:

Scarf Crab
Item: Take a wild guess
Adamant Nature
4 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed
-Crab Hammer
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
-Body Slam/Rock Slide/Superpower

While Shell Armor is a better ability to set up agility or swords dance here we have the sweeping crab of doom. You got your stab your two coverage moves and then the last choice for whatever you feel like.

OH YEAH MR.KRABS!
Adamant Nature
252 HP/252 Attack/4 Def
-Crab Hammer
-Earthquake
-Superpower
-Swords Dance

Fuck it here's wallbreaker Kingler, hence the name of the set. He's feeling it now with those swords dances and once he lays down the hammer those walls will become softer than spongebuck, me bobbo.

Pokemon: Arctozolt
Ability Being Modified: Tangled Feet
Stats: 90/105/90/90/90/65
Stat Changes: 0/+5/0/0/+10/+10
New Moves: Volt Switch, Rapid Spin
Sample Set:

The beak that will pierce the heavens
Item: Choice Band
Adamant Nature
252 HP/ 252 Attack/ 4 SpD
-Bolt Beak
-Icicle crash
-Volt Switch
-Stone Edge/Stomping Tantrum

Priority Bolt Beak and choice band. Now you can break all the walls.

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
Pokemon: Grapploct
Stats: 95/118/90/55/90/58
Stat Changes: +15/0/0/-15/+10/+15 (+25 net)
New Moves: Recover, Flip Turn, Throat Chop
Flavor: Tentacles are sort of like feet and I imagine they get tangled up all the time!
Application: Grapploct really needs a niche and this presents many options. Tangled Feet gives it a much needed way to circumvent its speed, and opens up many unique opportunities, such as:
  • Topsy Turvy is an easy one. You force a switch on a boosted Pokemon or reverse the boosts.
  • Taunt is more niche but could be useful as a lead to block hazards.
  • Flip Turn gives it a fast pivot. Or you could use it without Tangled Feet for a slow pivot.
  • A fast Recover helps it survive if it needs to pivot in. And gives set up sets some much needed longevity.
  • Priority Bulk Up gives it a way to start setting up and reduce damage before it acts.
  • Soak could remove STAB bonuses.
  • Priority Close Combat is now the strongest priority move in the game, and demands respect.
  • Throat Chop gives it a coverage option and shuts down Boomburst users in a pinch. Gives it coverage to revenge Dragapult, Alakazam or Gengar as well.

Last edited:
Pokemon: Shedinja
Stats: 1/105/30/45/15/55
Stat Changes: 0/+15/-10/+15/-10/+15
New Moves: Close Combat
Sample Set: WIP

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Stats: 95/133/90/55/90/42
Stat Changes: +15/+15/0/-15/+10/0 (+25 net)
Flavor: Tentacles are sort of like feet and I imagine they get tangled up all the time!
Application: Grapploct really needs a niche and this presents many options. Tangled Feet gives it a much needed way to circumvent its speed, and opens up many unique opportunities, such as:
  • Topsy Turvy is an easy one. You force a switch on a boosted Pokemon or reverse the boosts.
  • Flip Turn gives it a fast pivot. Or you could use it without Tangled Feet for a slow pivot.
  • A fast Recover helps it survive if it needs to pivot in. And gives set up sets some much needed longevity.
  • Priority Bulk Up gives it a way to start setting up and reduce damage before it acts.
  • Priority Close Combat is now the strongest priority move in the game, and demands respect.
  • Throat Chop gives it a coverage option and shuts down Boomburst users in a pinch. Gives it coverage to revenge Dragapult, Alakazam or Gengar as well.
I think you need to be extremely wary in handing out priority of that strength. First Impression is a powerful move, and the only reasons why its not very prevalent are that its a bad offensive type, only mediocre non STAB and STAB users and finally forcing you to switch if you are choice locked. Tangling Feet gets rid of all of that, and now you would need to account for a Pokemon capable of doing this at any given time

252+ Atk Choice Band Grapploct Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 164-193 (40.5 - 47.7%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Grapploct Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 328-387 (96.1 - 113.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Resisted hit. 100/100 bulk. With Max HP investment. And it STILL has a better chance to 2HKO it. Look at the type of Pokemon that get priority abilities and their offensive stats. Talonflame with 81. Comfey with 82. I dont think anything should have priority strong enough OHKO any offensive Pokemon at Mew level bulk or lower (so every offensive Pokemon) in OU. Please just give it its original Attack.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
:alcremie: (Sweet Veil)
Stats: 79/45/79/119/136/62
Stat Changes: +14/-15/+4/+9/+15/-2
New Moves: Earth Power, Rapid Spin. Power Gem
Did you know Alcremie's namesake comes from Alchemy? You wouldn't tell just by looking at it. Calm Mind + Stored Power is a classic, but this also gets Fairy STAB to hit Dark types which might try to stop it dead, Acid Armor to patch up an otherwise mediocre Physical Defense, and access to recovery. Team support options include Light Screen and Aromatherapy, plus the brand-new Sweet Veil giving the whole team additional recovery! (for five turns!(?))

Stat changes are straightforward. Alcremie wants to be Specially Defensive, so I made sure to do so. Extra HP and an even crazier SpDf stat goes a long way, and it gets a bit more Physical Defense as well. Lowered Attack since we don't need it, and 64 Speed doesn't outspeed anything relevant so I dropped it to 62, which just edges out TTar. Some extra Special Attack as well.

I wanted to boost Alcremie's team support and late-game potential while also tying into its connection to alchemy and magic. Of the four classical elements, we have fire (Mystical Fire) and water (this is a stretch but Calm Mind), so all that was left was earth and air. Fairy types like Ground attacks to hit all three of their resists, but few get access to the coveted coverage. But thanks to alchemy, we can now harness the earth's power. Earth Power. Rapid Spin is the air element because tornadoes and hazard control and also I could not find a good competitive nor flavorful reason to give it a Flying-type move. It evolves via spinning I mean come on. What's Power Gem for, then? That's the Philosopher's Stone, and you can use it to also hit Fire-types which may not be as weak to Ground, such as Volcarona or Rotom-Heat. Can be useful against other Pokemon as well. Comes down to what your team is composed of and your priorities. All three moves help in giving Alcremie tools to either support its team throughout the match while not being deadweight against certain Types/Pokemon, or aiding it in its own sweeping potential. Having an additional layer of recovery thanks to Sweet Veil is valuable in that regard, and helps make this all possible.

:greedent: (Tangled Feet)
Pokemon:
Greedent
Stats: 125/100/100/55/85/20
Stat Changes: +5/+5/+5/0/+10/0
New Moves: Recycle, Curse, Double-Edge
It's honestly a crime that Greedent doesn't get Recycle: this Pokemon seems designed to be a berry-abuser, but it lacks the best move to make berry strategies work. Oh, right, Tangled Feet. Gluttony and Cheek Pouch interact with berries in obvious ways, so where does Tangled Feet come in?Enter Stuff Cheeks, Greedent's signature move. You immediately consume your berry and raise your Defense by 2 stages. It's a cool move, but with 20 Speed, a lot can get in the way of using it properly. Tangled Feet gives you +1 priority on the first turn active, allowing you to use Stuff Cheeks (or any move) almost immediately! No more Knock Offs or high damage attacks getting in the way of using your moves properly.

You can use Greedent in a lot of ways. It can be a revenge killer or a slow-and-steady sweeper that boosts it's stats while being able to keep itself healthy proactively due to the mechanics of berries. Both Tangled Feet and Cheek Pouch look like prime abilities, each with unique function for a team.

Stat-wise, Greedent is already very good. It actually takes Physical hits better than Snorlax, its closest counterpart. I didn't feel like min-maxing was needed, as 55 Special Attack and 20 Speed on a Pokemon with 460 BST is already pretty optimized by Game Freak standards. So I gave it some extra defenses, now boasting 125/100/85 bulk, and increased Attack to a solid 100.

I already elaborated on why Recycle is an amazing addition. There's a lot of interesting combinations you can do with Stuff Cheeks, your three abilities, and the wide array of berries which can recover health or increase stats. Curse is a great move that buffs its Physical stats, and the Speed drop is not a serious problem (could be helpful, even). Double-Edge is strong STAB that pairs nicely with high HP stats. Having a way to potentially drop your own HP into Berry-range is also appreciated.

G-Luke

Pokemon: Falinks
Stats: 74/111/100/70/60/80 (495)
Stat Changes: +9/+11/0/0/0/+5 (+25)
New Moves: Gunk Shot, Stone Edge

Falinks are a bunch beings in a line marching together. I'd believe their feet get tangled from time to time. Anyways for competitive impact its not easy to understand how much Falinks improves by - STAB priority Close Combat is a powerful thing. While Choice Banded sets will love the ability to revenge kill stuff that offense may be packing, I think its No Retreat sets that are the biggest winners here. Thanks to Tangled Feet, No Retreat will always go up first, meaning that you can't do over half to Falinks before it gets up its No Retreat (which most of offense can do). Giving it sweet Stone Edge and Gunk Shot access to it can deal with fairies and Flying types much better (provided they hit).

Pokemon: Rapidash
Stats: 65/115/70/80/80/115 (525)
Stat Changes: 0/+15/0/0/0/+10 (+25)
New Moves: Superpower

Now Rapidash is a powerful sweeper / pivot with its powerful STAB Flare Blitz and its expert use of its ability Run Away. While its Galarian variant has access to Knock Off and U-turn to keep up momentum / utility, this variant relies on its superior offensive capabilities and stellar coverage to break through teams.

Pokemon: Slurpuff
Stats: 82/92/86/90/80/75 (505)
Stat Changes: 0/+12/0/+5/+5/+3 (+25)
New Moves: Superpower, Knock Off, U-turn, Stored Power

I gave it Superpower to make BellyBurden sets good. Moving on. U-turn makes it not only able to keep up momentum, but be able to Wish Pass easier and keep its teammates healthy longer. Knock Off gives it built in utility that separates it from Aromatisse (not Clef though). Set up variants with Stored Power can also make use of Sweet Veil to let its Calm Mind sets be even harder to break.

Pokemon: Lapras
Stats: 130/75/95/100/95/65 (560)
Stat Changes: 0/-10/+15/+15/0/+5 (+25)
New Moves: Scald, Recover, Calm Mind, Iron Defense

Lapras deserves a buff for all of the hard time it gets in lower tiers. It can try its hand at a CM+ID set, and the addition of Scald drastically improves its utility, while Recover keeps its staying power. Not much else you can do with Lapras, unless you plan on giving him Shell Smash, a role that is already heavily filled by both OU staple Cloyster and the recent buffs.

Pokemon: Orbeetle
Stats: 75/40/110/92/120/93 (505)
Stat Changes: +15/-5/0/+12/0/+3 (+25)
New Moves: Tri-Attack, Rapid Spin, Fake Out, Hyper Voice, Spikes, Explosion

Orbeetle is very weird. So I went with that. Most of these are a desperate attempt at giving Orb utility outside of suicide Webs. Psychic -ate isnt good for Orb, so i focused on giving it utility based Normal moves

Last edited:
:Crustle:
Pokemon: Crustle
Stats: 85/105/135/65/75/45
Stat Changes: +15/±0/+10/±0/±0/±0
New Moves: Leech Life
Sample Sets:
Crustle @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
Crustle @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Leech Life
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
Notes: Despite its current placement in the base Smogon tiers, I don't feel that there's a massive necessity to minimax Crustle, considering that its greatest weakness in Water-type moves is less of an issue now that they'll be calculated under its buffed Defense stat. Now that its defensive prowess is increased, Crustle can run more sets that cater to that, not requiring a Focus Sash to get hazards set up, or it can live with its low Speed and take advantage of the surprisingly wide coverage options that are available to it.

:Dunsparce:
Stats: 100/80/85/50/80/45
Stat Changes: ±0/+10/+15/-15/+15/±0
New Moves: First Impression, Snap Trap
Sample Sets:
Dunsparce @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- First Impression
- Earthquake
- Roost
Dunsparce @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Snap Trap
- Dragon Rush
- Coil
- Roost
Dunsparce @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn
Notes: Dunsparce's Normal typing actually works to its advantage with Run Away, since only Fighting coverage can force it to switch out. While it won't exactly be making waves on its own with these buffs, Dunsparce will function much better as a team player, quickly switching out against threats to teammates that can deal with them, to the benefit of teammates weak to Fighting as well as itself. These sets exemplify this, either attempting to outlast an opponent and force them to switch, trapping an opponent and setting up with Coil to make them want to switch, or safely setting Stealth Rocks and forcing opponents to switch with Yawn.

:Kingler:
Stats: 70/130/115/50/50/85
Stat Changes: +15/±0/±0/±0/±0/+10
New Moves: Poison Jab, Earthquake
Sample Set:
Kingler @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation / Crabhammer
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake / Knock Off
- Agility
Notes: Like with Crustle, I didn't feel that minimaxing was necessary with Kingler, since +25 BST and effectively ignoring that god-awful Special Defense is enough of a buff. The additions of Poison Jab and Earthquake are a large boon to this new set, as well as the tried-and-true Sheer Force sets, and differentiates its coverage with that of Crawdaunt.

glaceon.png

Pokemon: Glaceon
Stats: 65/60/115/130/105/75 (550)
Stat Changes: ±0/±0/±5/±0/±10/±10 (+25)
New Moves: Aura Sphere
Sample Set:
Glaceon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball / Aura Sphere
- Freeze Dry

Glaceon's abilities currently aren't really useful, so it would choose Run Away right away. Ice typing gives it a lot of weaknesses, giving it more opportunities to activate the ability and gain momentum for the team. Aura Sphere gives it another way to break through Steel-types.

flareon.png

Pokemon: Flareon
Stats: 75/130/60/95/110/80 (550)
Stat Changes: ±10/±0/±/±0/±0/±15 (+25)
New Moves: Wild Charge
Sample Set:
Flareon @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- High Horsepower / Play Rough
- Wild Charge / Play Rough / Quick Attack

In a similar vein, Flareon also benefits from Run Away resetting its Attack and Defense drops from Superpower. Wild Charge gives it an option to KO bulky waters such as Gyarados and Toxapex. Increased HP stat help Flareon absorb recoil from Flare Blitz and Wild Charge.

Last edited:

Pokemon: Cloyster
Base Stats: 65 HP | 95 ATK | 180 DEF | 95 SPA | 45 SPD | 70 SPE
Stat Changes: +15 HP, +10 SPA
New Moves: Body Press, Freeze-Dry
Cloyster @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Freeze-Dry
- Hydro Pump
Notes: With just the Shell Armor buff, Cloyster gains Deoxys-D-like bulk and can easily fill a hazard control role. However, I decided to give Cloyster these few extra additions so it can fill a bulky attacker role as well. Body Press pairs well with Iron Defense because after one boost all damage taken (when healthy) is cut in half and the power of Body Press is doubled. Hell, the Iron Defense + Body Press combo is a solid option on any Shell Armor Pokemon who can learn it.

Drednaw @ Life Orb
Impish Nature
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 Spe
- Rock Polish
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Stone Edge / Liquidation

Torkoal @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Lava Plume
- Gyro Ball / Scorching Sands

Voting has started, here are our submissions:

Revenge of Depressed Gay's Arctozolt
Pokemon: Arctozolt
Ability Being Modified: Tangled Feet
Stats: 90/105/90/90/90/65
Stat Changes: 0/+5/0/0/+10/+10
New Moves: Volt Switch, Rapid Spin
Sample Set:

The beak that will pierce the heavens
Item: Choice Band
Adamant Nature
252 HP/ 252 Attack/ 4 SpD
-Bolt Beak
-Icicle crash
-Volt Switch
-Stone Edge/Stomping Tantrum
Ema Skye's Grapploct
Stats: 95/118/90/55/90/58
Stat Changes: +15/0/0/-15/+10/+15 (+25 net)
shnowshner's Greedent
:greedent: (Tangled Feet)
Pokemon:
Greedent
Stats: 125/100/100/55/85/20
Stat Changes: +5/+5/+5/0/+10/0
New Moves: Recycle, Curse, Double-Edge
It's honestly a crime that Greedent doesn't get Recycle: this Pokemon seems designed to be a berry-abuser, but it lacks the best move to make berry strategies work. Oh, right, Tangled Feet. Gluttony and Cheek Pouch interact with berries in obvious ways, so where does Tangled Feet come in?Enter Stuff Cheeks, Greedent's signature move. You immediately consume your berry and raise your Defense by 2 stages. It's a cool move, but with 20 Speed, a lot can get in the way of using it properly. Tangled Feet gives you +1 priority on the first turn active, allowing you to use Stuff Cheeks (or any move) almost immediately! No more Knock Offs or high damage attacks getting in the way of using your moves properly.

You can use Greedent in a lot of ways. It can be a revenge killer or a slow-and-steady sweeper that boosts it's stats while being able to keep itself healthy proactively due to the mechanics of berries. Both Tangled Feet and Cheek Pouch look like prime abilities, each with unique function for a team.

Stat-wise, Greedent is already very good. It actually takes Physical hits better than Snorlax, its closest counterpart. I didn't feel like min-maxing was needed, as 55 Special Attack and 20 Speed on a Pokemon with 460 BST is already pretty optimized by Game Freak standards. So I gave it some extra defenses, now boasting 125/100/85 bulk, and increased Attack to a solid 100.

I already elaborated on why Recycle is an amazing addition. There's a lot of interesting combinations you can do with Stuff Cheeks, your three abilities, and the wide array of berries which can recover health or increase stats. Curse is a great move that buffs its Physical stats, and the Speed drop is not a serious problem (could be helpful, even). Double-Edge is strong STAB that pairs nicely with high HP stats. Having a way to potentially drop your own HP into Berry-range is also appreciated.
G-Luke's Falinks

Pokemon: Falinks
Stats: 74/111/100/70/60/80 (495)
Stat Changes: +9/+11/0/0/0/+5 (+25)
New Moves: Gunk Shot, Stone Edge

Falinks are a bunch beings in a line marching together. I'd believe their feet get tangled from time to time. Anyways for competitive impact its not easy to understand how much Falinks improves by - STAB priority Close Combat is a powerful thing. While Choice Banded sets will love the ability to revenge kill stuff that offense may be packing, I think its No Retreat sets that are the biggest winners here. Thanks to Tangled Feet, No Retreat will always go up first, meaning that you can't do over half to Falinks before it gets up its No Retreat (which most of offense can do). Giving it sweet Stone Edge and Gunk Shot access to it can deal with fairies and Flying types much better (provided they hit).
Dilasc's Turtonator
Pokemon: Turtonator
Stats: 75/63/145/106/85/36 (510)
Stat Changes: +15/-15/+10/+15/0/0 (+25)
New Moves: Slack Off, Spikes, Stealth Rock

Turt has great defense and has the right typing to get in on the right foe, such as Volcarona, the Steel/Flyers, Scizor, Magnezone Magerna, and then set up spikes or Rocks while Slacking Off all the damage with its 75/145/145 defenses.

252 SpA Choice Specs Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Turtonator: 177-208 (50 - 58.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Keep in mind that most Mags don't use this move.

Before you think this thing is oppressively defensive, keep in mind it almost requires HDB, is weak to Rock, Dragon, and Ground and is slow as hell. It might require wish support but it likely can get a few layers of hazard up or burn the incoming STAB abuser that thinks they can set up on Turt.
Revenge of Depressed Gay's Kingler
Stats: 65/130/130/35/50/90
Stat Changes: +10/±0/+15/-15/±0/+15
New Moves: Ice Punch, Earthquake
Sample Set:

Scarf Crab
Item: Take a wild guess
Adamant Nature
4 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed
-Crab Hammer
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
-Body Slam/Rock Slide/Superpower

While Shell Armor is a better ability to set up agility or swords dance here we have the sweeping crab of doom. You got your stab your two coverage moves and then the last choice for whatever you feel like.

OH YEAH MR.KRABS!
Adamant Nature
252 HP/252 Attack/4 Def
-Crab Hammer
-Earthquake
-Superpower
-Swords Dance

Fuck it here's wallbreaker Kingler, hence the name of the set. He's feeling it now with those swords dances and once he lays down the hammer those walls will become softer than spongebuck, me bobbo.
G-Luke's Lapras

Pokemon: Lapras
Stats: 130/75/95/100/95/65 (560)
Stat Changes: 0/-10/+15/+15/0/+5 (+25)
New Moves: Scald, Recover, Calm Mind, Iron Defense

Lapras deserves a buff for all of the hard time it gets in lower tiers. It can try its hand at a CM+ID set, and the addition of Scald drastically improves its utility, while Recover keeps its staying power. Not much else you can do with Lapras, unless you plan on giving him Shell Smash, a role that is already heavily filled by both OU staple Cloyster and the recent buffs.
Adou's Crustle
:Crustle:
Pokemon: Crustle
Stats: 85/105/135/65/75/45
Stat Changes: +15/±0/+10/±0/±0/±0
New Moves: Leech Life
Sample Sets:
Crustle @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
Crustle @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Leech Life
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
Notes: Despite its current placement in the base Smogon tiers, I don't feel that there's a massive necessity to minimax Crustle, considering that its greatest weakness in Water-type moves is less of an issue now that they'll be calculated under its buffed Defense stat. Now that its defensive prowess is increased, Crustle can run more sets that cater to that, not requiring a Focus Sash to get hazards set up, or it can live with its low Speed and take advantage of the surprisingly wide coverage options that are available to it.
Adou's Kingler
:Kingler:
Stats: 70/130/115/50/50/85
Stat Changes: +15/±0/±0/±0/±0/+10
New Moves: Poison Jab, Earthquake
Sample Set:
Kingler @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation / Crabhammer
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake / Knock Off
- Agility
Notes: Like with Crustle, I didn't feel that minimaxing was necessary with Kingler, since +25 BST and effectively ignoring that god-awful Special Defense is enough of a buff. The additions of Poison Jab and Earthquake are a large boon to this new set, as well as the tried-and-true Sheer Force sets, and differentiates its coverage with that of Crawdaunt.
guruu's Cloyster

Pokemon: Cloyster
Base Stats: 65 HP | 95 ATK | 180 DEF | 95 SPA | 45 SPD | 70 SPE
Stat Changes: +15 HP, +10 SPA
New Moves: Body Press, Freeze-Dry
Cloyster @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Freeze-Dry
- Hydro Pump
Notes: With just the Shell Armor buff, Cloyster gains Deoxys-D-like bulk and can easily fill a hazard control role. However, I decided to give Cloyster these few extra additions so it can fill a bulky attacker role as well. Body Press pairs well with Iron Defense because after one boost all damage taken (when healthy) is cut in half and the power of Body Press is doubled. Hell, the Iron Defense + Body Press combo is a solid option on any Shell Armor Pokemon who can learn it.
Dilasc's Alcremie
Ability: Sweet Veil/Aroma Veil
Stats: 80/45/90/115/126/64 (520)
Stat Changes: +15/-15/+15/+5/+5/0 (+25)
New Moves: Moon Blast, Toxic Spikes, Thunderbolt

The cakemon is deliciously too low and perhaps the Sweetmon in most need of a tier booster. Still lacking in the coverage, pivoting, Knock Off and Stealth Rocks that gives Clefable its high tier status, Alcremie has been Special defensive and Special Attacking stats and Toxic Spikes. This combo can be abused to utilize either hazard play or to just Calm Mind on the right special attacker.
shnowshner's Alcremie
:alcremie: (Sweet Veil)
Stats: 79/45/79/119/136/62
Stat Changes: +14/-15/+4/+9/+15/-2
New Moves: Earth Power, Rapid Spin. Power Gem
Did you know Alcremie's namesake comes from Alchemy? You wouldn't tell just by looking at it. Calm Mind + Stored Power is a classic, but this also gets Fairy STAB to hit Dark types which might try to stop it dead, Acid Armor to patch up an otherwise mediocre Physical Defense, and access to recovery. Team support options include Light Screen and Aromatherapy, plus the brand-new Sweet Veil giving the whole team additional recovery! (for five turns!(?))

Stat changes are straightforward. Alcremie wants to be Specially Defensive, so I made sure to do so. Extra HP and an even crazier SpDf stat goes a long way, and it gets a bit more Physical Defense as well. Lowered Attack since we don't need it, and 64 Speed doesn't outspeed anything relevant so I dropped it to 62, which just edges out TTar. Some extra Special Attack as well.

I wanted to boost Alcremie's team support and late-game potential while also tying into its connection to alchemy and magic. Of the four classical elements, we have fire (Mystical Fire) and water (this is a stretch but Calm Mind), so all that was left was earth and air. Fairy types like Ground attacks to hit all three of their resists, but few get access to the coveted coverage. But thanks to alchemy, we can now harness the earth's power. Earth Power. Rapid Spin is the air element because tornadoes and hazard control and also I could not find a good competitive nor flavorful reason to give it a Flying-type move. It evolves via spinning I mean come on. What's Power Gem for, then? That's the Philosopher's Stone, and you can use it to also hit Fire-types which may not be as weak to Ground, such as Volcarona or Rotom-Heat. Can be useful against other Pokemon as well. Comes down to what your team is composed of and your priorities. All three moves help in giving Alcremie tools to either support its team throughout the match while not being deadweight against certain Types/Pokemon, or aiding it in its own sweeping potential. Having an additional layer of recovery thanks to Sweet Veil is valuable in that regard, and helps make this all possible.
G-Luke's Slurpuff

Pokemon: Slurpuff
Stats: 82/92/86/90/80/75 (505)
Stat Changes: 0/+12/0/+5/+5/+3 (+25)
New Moves: Superpower, Knock Off, U-turn, Stored Power

I gave it Superpower to make BellyBurden sets good. Moving on. U-turn makes it not only able to keep up momentum, but be able to Wish Pass easier and keep its teammates healthy longer. Knock Off gives it built in utility that separates it from Aromatisse (not Clef though). Set up variants with Stored Power can also make use of Sweet Veil to let its Calm Mind sets be even harder to break.
Dilasc's Musharna
Pokemon: Musharna
Ability: Forewarn/Synchronize (Telepathy)
Stats: 131/45/100/112/110/14 (512)
Stat Changes: +15/-10/+15/+5/+15/-15 (+25)
New Moves: Boomburst, Teleport, Slack Off

All hail the once near-mascot of Sylvemons, Musharna is the worst Telepath, other than Oranguru whose typing really goes against the spirit of the ability. Alienmon likely wants Analytic and Orbeetle has Sticky Webs niche. Musharna sacrifices all of its speed for a powerful Boomburst. Keep in mind, that it is so very slow and while it can set up Trick Room, is the tradeoff worth the time?

252+ SpA Life Orb Telepathy Musharna Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna: 156-183 (51.8 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's strong for an attack vs a resist, but keep in mind that Magearna is faster so if you want to get the 2hko you will be going last. Dark types are troublesome. Granted, this mon now has the slowest pivot of all time with 14 speed teleport which it can pull off with its high defenses. Granted, the Urshifu-Dark, Marowak-A, and Volcarona meta isn't very kind to psychic types, especially very slow ones. Slowbro doesn't care.

252+ SpA Musharna Telepathy Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 164 SpD Slowbro: 135-159 (34.3 - 40.4%) -- 51.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Goodra doesn't care and even laughs at the Moonblast coverage.

252+ SpA Telepathy Musharna Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 127-150 (33.1 - 39.1%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO

Slowbro can Calm Mind and Recover or keep pivoting out if it wants. If Shell Armor bro takes off, then it goes without saying that Mushy is even worse against it.

Adamant Banded Urshi KOs even when Mush has some defensive investment. It's always faster too, if you were even going to think of second guessing.

252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 244 Def Musharna on a critical hit: 512-606 (109.8 - 130%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If the stats for Mushyboy are too much then I will take a hatchet to them or swap Boomburst with Hyper Voice but I've posted a bunch of checks and counters so far and the meta would need time to truly test it out. Still, it's a very slow mon and despite being defensively a better Mew, it lacks Mew's movepool diversity, even if it has a great ability.
Revenge of Depressed Gay's Gardevoir
Pokemon: Gardevoir
Ability Being Modified: Telepathy
Stats: 68/65/65/130/120/95
Stat Changes: 0/0/0/+5/+5/+15
New Moves: Sparkling Aria, Fire Blast
Sample Set:

My Waifu is Calming to Laifu
Timid Nature
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Speed
-Calm Mind
-Moonblast
-Hyper Voice
-Fire Blast/Shadow Ball

So calm mind or scarfed is probably what this this will end up using. With calm mind you got the two stabs and then Fire Blast or Shadow Ball to pick whatever weakness you want to destroy. Of course a swift bullet punch to the face will end it, but hopefully it's increased HP will make the blow go by slower.
G-Luke's Orbeetle

Pokemon: Orbeetle
Stats: 75/40/110/92/120/93 (505)
Stat Changes: +15/-5/0/+12/0/+3 (+25)
New Moves: Tri-Attack, Rapid Spin, Fake Out, Hyper Voice, Spikes, Explosion

Orbeetle is very weird. So I went with that. Most of these are a desperate attempt at giving Orb utility outside of suicide Webs. Psychic -ate isnt good for Orb, so i focused on giving it utility based Normal moves
Revenge of Depressed Gay's Dunsparce
Stats: 105/85/80/50/80/40
Stat Changes: +5/+15/+10/-15/+15/-5
New Moves:
Sample Set:

Serene Grace Set
Item: Leftovers
Adamant Nature
252 HP/252 Attack/4 Def(or SpD)
-Coil
-Roost
-Glare
-Headbutt

You are not using this thing with run away ever. I want you all to understand that. I don't care if the ability is buffed serene grace is just out right better most of the time. Anyway you glare, use coil a few times, proceed to headbutt, and then roost when needed. If you can pull that off good job, if you can't well at least you tried.
Bmw6446's Shedinja
Pokemon: Shedinja
Stats: 1/105/30/45/15/55
Stat Changes: 0/+15/-10/+15/-10/+15
New Moves: Close Combat
Sample Set: WIP
G-Luke's Rapidash

Pokemon: Rapidash
Stats: 65/115/70/80/80/115 (525)
Stat Changes: 0/+15/0/0/0/+10 (+25)
New Moves: Superpower

Now Rapidash is a powerful sweeper / pivot with its powerful STAB Flare Blitz and its expert use of its ability Run Away. While its Galarian variant has access to Knock Off and U-turn to keep up momentum / utility, this variant relies on its superior offensive capabilities and stellar coverage to break through teams.
Adou's Dunsparce
:Dunsparce:
Stats: 100/80/85/50/80/45
Stat Changes: ±0/+10/+15/-15/+15/±0
New Moves: First Impression, Snap Trap
Sample Sets:
Dunsparce @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- First Impression
- Earthquake
- Roost
Dunsparce @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Snap Trap
- Dragon Rush
- Coil
- Roost
Dunsparce @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn
Notes: Dunsparce's Normal typing actually works to its advantage with Run Away, since only Fighting coverage can force it to switch out. While it won't exactly be making waves on its own with these buffs, Dunsparce will function much better as a team player, quickly switching out against threats to teammates that can deal with them, to the benefit of teammates weak to Fighting as well as itself. These sets exemplify this, either attempting to outlast an opponent and force them to switch, trapping an opponent and setting up with Coil to make them want to switch, or safely setting Stealth Rocks and forcing opponents to switch with Yawn.
MegaFlareon's Glaceon
glaceon.png

Pokemon: Glaceon
Stats: 65/60/115/130/105/75 (550)
Stat Changes: ±0/±0/±5/±0/±10/±10 (+25)
New Moves: Aura Sphere
Sample Set:
Glaceon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball / Aura Sphere
- Freeze Dry

Glaceon's abilities currently aren't really useful, so it would choose Run Away right away. Ice typing gives it a lot of weaknesses, giving it more opportunities to activate the ability and gain momentum for the team. Aura Sphere gives it another way to break through Steel-types.
MegaFlareon's Flareon
flareon.png

Pokemon: Flareon
Stats: 75/130/60/95/110/80 (550)
Stat Changes: ±10/±0/±/±0/±0/±15 (+25)
New Moves: Wild Charge
Sample Set:
Flareon @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- High Horsepower / Play Rough
- Wild Charge / Play Rough / Quick Attack

In a similar vein, Flareon also benefits from Run Away resetting its Attack and Defense drops from Superpower. Wild Charge gives it an option to KO bulky waters such as Gyarados and Toxapex. Increased HP stat help Flareon absorb recoil from Flare Blitz and Wild Charge.

Voting Template

Tangled Feet: Top 3 submissions in order

Shell Armor: Top 3 submissions in order

Dilasc's Alcremie: Yes, No, or Abstain
shnowshner's Alcremie: Yes, No, or Abstain
G-Luke's Slurpuff: Yes, No, or Abstain

Dilasc's Musharna: Yes, No, or Abstain
Revenge of Depressed Gay's Gardevoir: Yes, No, or Abstain
G-Luke's Orbeetle: Yes, No, or Abstain

Run Away: Top 3 submissions in order

Since we had a handful of submissions for the same Pokemon, I feel that I should make the procedure for conflicting submissions clear. If 2 for the same Pokemon win for an ability with 4 or more submissions (Tangled Feet, Shell Armor, and Run Away in this case), the one with the lower number of votes will not be used, and the 4th place submission will take its place. For abilities with 3 or less submissions (Sweet Veil and Telepathy), the submission with a higher score (Yes = +1, No = -1, Abstain = ±0) will be taken.

Voting will end at ~8 am EST on Saturday, July 4th.

EDIT: Moved the voting deadline from 8 pm EST on Friday to remain consistent with previous voting deadlines.

Last edited:
Tangled Feet: G-Luke, Ema Skye, Shnowshner

Shell Armor: Guruu, Adou's Kingler, Adou's Crustle

Dilasc's Alcremie: No
shnowshner's Alcremie: Yes
G-Luke's Slurpuff: Abstain

Dilasc's Musharna: No
Revenge of Depressed Gay's Gardevoir: Yes
G-Luke's Orbeetle: Yes

Run Away: Revenge of Depressed Gay, MegaFlareon's Flareon, G-Luke's Rapid Dash

Last edited:
Tangled Feet: G-Luke, Ema Skye, Shnowshner

Shell Armor: Guruu, Revenge of Depressed Gay, Adou's Crustle

Run Away: Revenge of Depressed Gay, MegaFlareon's Flareon, G-Luke's Rapid Dash
Pleasure make sure that your self-votes for "top 3 subs" votes don't exceed 3 points (1 first place, 1 second place and 1 third place, or 3 third places).

Tangled Feet: shnowshner's Greedent, G-Luke's Falinks, Ema Skye's Grapploct

Shell Armor: G-Luke's Lapras, Dilasc's Turtonator, my Kingler

Dilasc's Alcremie: Yes

Dilasc's Musharna: Yes
Revenge of Depressed Gay's Gardevoir: Abstain

Run Away: G-Luke's Rapidash, my Dunsparce, MegaFlareon's Glaceon

Tangled Feet: G-Luke, Ema Skye, shnowshner
Shell Armor: Adou's Kingler, G-Luke, guruu

Dilasc's Alcremie: Abstain

Dilasc's Musharna: Yes
Revenge of Depressed Gay's Gardevoir: No

Run Away: G-Luke's Rapidash, MegaFlareon's Flareon, Adou's Dunsparce

G-Luke

Tangled Feet: shnowshner's Greedent, G-Luke's Falinks, Ema Skye's Grapploct

Shell Armor: Crustle, Lapras, Adou's Kingler

G-Luke's Orbeetle: Abstain

Run Away: Adou's Dunsparce, G-Luke's Rapidash, MegaFlareon's Glaceon

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)