Victim of the Week: OM Edition [2v2 Doubles - Infernape & Mega Alakazam]

Approved by The Eevee General | Original OM thread by Adrian Marin | Revived by Snaquaza

Victim of the Week
Om Edition

Pokemon is centered around fainting the opponent's Pokemon. That's not all, you have to keep your own alive to, as if you can't you lose anyway as you won't be able to continue. There are three ways to prevent this from happening: countering, checking and revenge killing.
  • Countering is being able to switch in on any move and still being able to beat the opposing Pokemon, without including hax. Your Pokemon can however, be a less reliable counter because it needs to hit a 80% move to counter it and will only get once chance. You can also become a weaker counter if you have no recovery or are easy to wear down, as you'll only be able to counter it once, or not at all.
  • Checking is being able to switch in on a move, but not on all and being able to beat the Pokemon afterwards. This will cause you to be able to win with a little prediction. The easier you can switch in, the better check you are (Aka please don't submit Revenge Killers that can check the Pokemon because they can switch in on a Status Move and then outspeed and KO, though they are technically checks, they're unreliable and will rarely be chosen for the Hall of Fame).
  • Revenge Killing is that you're not able to switch in on the opposing Pokemon, but can revenge kill it after a free switch.
In this thread, we'll be searching for Checks and Counters, as they're unmissable for competitive battling.

Procedure

Every week, I'll submit two sets in one metagame. You guys will have to post a check or a counter to these sets. You'll have a week to post these, as this is the Victim of the Week. When the week is over I'll choose the two best counters and the two best checks for each set. Then the process will restart, with a new metagame and two new sets. The best counters and sets will be added to the Hall of Fame.

When you submit a check or a counter, you have to post the set like sets on PS. You can include a picture of the Pokemon if you want. Also include at least three lines of explanation whether this is a check or counter, why it is a check or a counter and what it does in general. You can't reserve checks or counters, please write them up immediately or hope it'll still be available. If this doesn't happen it could prevent others from taking them, which would ultimately not make a change, but it would clutter up the thread and possibly someone wanted it but couldn't as you reserved, but you didn't do it at all, so a good counter wouldn't get mentioned.

Rules

1. When nominating your check/counter please follow the provided format:
Code:
Pokemon @ Item
Ability:
EVs:
Nature
-
-
-
-
2. Write a minimum of 3 sentences for each set

3. Follow the definitions for checks, by Aragorn the King , and counters, by MattL!
Pokémon A checks Pokémon B if Pokémon A can win every time when switching into at least one of Pokemon B's attacks, without factoring in hax.
Pokémon A counters Pokémon B if Pokémon A can manually switch into Pokémon B and still win every time, even under the worst case scenario, without factoring in hax.
4. When giving checks, follow the advice of alexwolf:
We are not looking for revenge killers, but for checks that are able to switch into the Pokemon in question at least once, and of course counters​
Revenge killers are fairly easy to name; Greninja, Talonflame, Diggersby, Mega Mewtwo-Y, Zangoose, etc can all revenge a handful of Pokemon in their respective Other Metagames. However, it's relatively pointless to name them, as all competitive players should know who can revenge kill what. Instead, this thread should be more geared to Pokemon that can either a) always beat a Pokemon, or b) always beat a Pokemon if they can bait the correct attack.
5. Help people out if you think they're wrong, but please be nice.

6. Have fun!

7. Don't let the thread die.

Archive
(STABmons) Fake Out Extreme Speed Diggersby
Checks: Gengar The Eevee General | Aerodactyl Ellipse | Sableye bestoise97
Counters: Bronzong (The Eevee General) | Skarmory (asterat) | Landorus-T Vansalon

(AAA) Choice Specs Adaptability Keldeo
Checks: Gengar Hollywood
Counters: Slowking The Eevee General | Doublade unfixable
| Shaymin Monte Cristo

(Tier Shift) Choice Band Sawk

Checks: Alomomola The Eevee General | Banette-Mega Darkglade
Counters: Weezing Kit Kasai | Spiritomb asterat | Cresselia insanelegend

(Metagiamate) Choice Band Dragonite

Checks: Aggron-Mega motherlove
Counters:

(PU) Musharna

Checks: Sneasel scorpdestroyer | Haunter TRC
Counters: Bastiodon scorpdestroyer | Krokorok Peef Rimgar | Natu galbia
Week 13: 2v2 Doubles
Infernape and Alakazam!
Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 200 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Fake Out
- Quick Guard

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Inner Focus -> Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Encore

These two Pokemon together are a large threat. They have tons of good moves, including Quick Guard, Fake Out and Encore. Additionally they're both speedy and decently powerful and attack on different spectra. What can counter these two?

PLEASE FOLLOW THE PROVIDED FORMAT AND MENTION WHETHER YOUR SET IS A CHECK OR A COUNTER IN YOUR SUBMISSIONS!

Last edited by a moderator:

- Landorus-T
- Counter (Check to Shell Smash, but I assume we're focusing on the given set)
- Landorus-T is my preffered counter to Fake out + Extreme Speed Diggersby, as it's also my favorite hazard remover in the tier. With full defensive investment, Intimidate, and immunity to Earthquake/Wild Charge, Lando can easily switch into most (unboosted) Diggersby:
-1 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Huge Power Diggersby Fake Out vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 52-63 (13.6 - 16.4%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Huge Power Diggersby Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 105-124 (27.4 - 32.4%) -- 71.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
It also checks Shell Smash and prevents either Drum or Smash from setting up.
As for what it can do back to Diggersby after switching in:
4 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Diggersby: 186-219 (59.6 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Landorus-T Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Diggersby: 222-262 (71.1 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
In addition to defeating Diggersby, Landorus-T serves as a reliable stop to many physical attackers in general, such as Ursaring, Sawsbuck, etc; The only common Fake Out + Extreme Speed user it loses to, in fact, is Braviary; Defiant gives the bird a boost and lets it break it easily.
-
Landorus-T @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog / Brave Bird
- U-Turn

Counter
Gourgeist-super @ Leftovers
Ability: Insomnia
252 hp/252 def/4 spdef
Impish nature
-Leech seed
-Will-o-wisp
-Spiky shield
-Seed bomb
Eats up any any attack that diggersby throws at it, thanks to a handy grass/ghost typing, so it requires little conscious effort in the set itself to actually beat diggersby, since there is no reason it will stay in on you ever(252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 66-78 (17.6 - 20.8%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery). Insomnia is chosen over frisk so that it has utility in being able to be the "sleep fodder" of the team, and act as a sableye switch in as well. Leech seed, will-o, and spiky shield are used for residual damage, as well as minimizing the amount of damage gourgeist has to take. The last slot is to make sure your not complete taunt bait as well as have some form of dealing direct damage.
Also:
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 264-311 (70.5 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Gourgeist-Super Seed Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Diggersby: 216-254 (69.2 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Belly drum can't even beat it

EDIT: I never said this was a top tier, or even high tier wall. I said this counters Diggersby. That's what it does, and that's what it will do. Not much more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Counter
Gourgeist-super @ Leftovers
Ability: Insomnia
252 hp/252 def/4 spdef
Impish nature
-Leech seed
-Will-o-wisp
-Spiky shield
-Seed bomb
Eats up any any attack that diggersby throws at it, thanks to a handy grass/ghost typing, so it requires little conscious effort in the set itself to actually beat diggersby, since there is no reason it will stay in on you ever(252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 66-78 (17.6 - 20.8%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery). Insomnia is chosen over frisk so that it has utility in being able to be the "sleep fodder" of the team, and act as a sableye switch in as well. Leech seed, will-o, and spiky shield are used for residual damage, as well as minimizing the amount of damage gourgeist has to take. The last slot is to make sure your not complete taunt bait as well as have some form of dealing direct damage.
Also:
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 264-311 (70.5 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Gourgeist-Super Seed Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Diggersby: 216-254 (69.2 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Belly drum can't even beat it
Ok, so I understand why you picked Gourgeist- it literally is the best counter the game can offer (except for maybe Rotom,) but I don't think it's really a pokemon that will work out in STABmons. Gourgeist is weak to fire, flying, and dark. These are some of the most common offensive types in STABmons. Outside of countering Diggersby and some other normals (excluding drum scrappy) it really can't come in on much. It's ground resistance is only truly applicable against Diggersby and Quagsire, because both Landorus forms tend to run flying moves. With the incredible frequency of pokemon like Tyranitar, Heatran, Charizard, and Landorus I don't feel like this pokemon is a very good mon overall- but I will give you that it craps on Diggersby- hands down the best pokemon in the tier. In general Gourgeist looks like an inferior Sableye that trades the usefulness for a Diggersby counter.

Reserving Skarmory

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Roost
- Metal Burst
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
Wild Charge is extremely rare and bad on Diggersby. It sacrifices a good move for total crap. It also can't even break Skarmory most of the time. Wild Charge caps out at 51.6%, and isn't even a guaranteed 2HKO after rocks. Roost is the most obvious move for Skarmory, it keeps Skarmory healthy. I like to run Metal Burst because it deals consistent damage. Spikes and Whirlwind allow Skarmory to rack up damage on the foe's team. I personally feel that Defog and King's Shield make Skarmory too passive, so I like to run this set. I run it in conjunction with defiant Thundurus to take advantage of defogs. Minimum speed is necessary to make metal burst work. Skarmory is mainly good because of how common stuff like Diggersby is, and it's one of the best pokemon in STABmons for it's utility. It easily walls all Diggersbys that don't carry Wild Charge and most that do.

Last edited:

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Reserving quagsire :)

EDIT:

COUNTER (at least to the set in the op)
Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Counter
- Protect / Scald

252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 169-201 (42.8 - 51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Huge Power Diggersby Fake Out vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 82-97 (20.8 - 24.6%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not your standard quagsire set, I know. Recover is necessary on Quagsire for... recovery. Toxic wears down your opponent. Counter is an interesting choice. I choose it because it almost always OHKOs your opponent if they use a neutral hitting move on you, unlike Earthquake which at best 2HKOs. Protect is a weird choice, but I find it useful to scout and to get an extra turn of leftovers recovery. Trust me, you'll need every little bit of HP you can get.

Last edited:
Check (check to the set up sets)
Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp/Dark Void
- Topsy-Turvy/Dark Void
- Recover
- Foul Play
Sableye is definitely a competent Diggersby check. With its ghost typing sableye prevents Diggersby from spamming Fake out and Espeed throughout the match lest they let the darkness pokemon get free switch in. The only move it cannot switch in on is EQ, but once in Sableye can cripple Diggersby with a WoW or Dark void, after which it is easy to deal with.
252+ Atk Huge Power burned Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 91-108 (29.9 - 35.5%) -- 25.6% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

What sets Sableye apart as a Diggersby Check is its ability to stop diggersby from setting up with priority topsy-turvy.

Counter
Dig This (Golurk) @ Air Balloon
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bonemerang
- DynamicPunch
- Shadow Sneak
- Stone Edge

Air Balloon Golurk. I seriously run it on my team entirely to counter Diggersby. The default set (The one listed by Adrian) is completely unable to touch it and must switch or die, no choice, regardless of how many boosts it has. Generally I just DynamicPunch if they have no Ghosts on their team because then anything that switches in has to suffer through Confusion if it survives, and then I can just switch out and let them decide whether they want to stay in and risk being hit by Confusion or perform another switch while my own Pokemon boosts or gets in a free, nasty hit. Diggersby actually can learn a few Dark moves if it wants to counter this, but what I've actually seen happen is they use Stone Edge to pop my balloon and then Earthquake me out of existence, but that only works if they anticipate the switch, because otherwise Diggersby ends up punched and Confused the turn it pops the balloon, and then I'm free to either switch in something immune to Earthquake that can take an unboosted Extreme Speed or anticipate their anticipation and stay in to punch them again for a KO. (Or gamble and hope Confusion blocks their turn)

252+ Atk Golurk Dynamic Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Diggersby: 288-340 (77 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Golurk Dynamic Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diggersby: 288-340 (92.6 - 109.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Golurk: 255-300 (66.7 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Golurk: 85-100 (22.2 - 26.1%) -- 11.1% chance to 4HKO

If Diggersby does not get two high rolls (On Stone Edge and then Earthquake) or a crit and has no boosts, a set running Stone Edge (Presumably over Wild Charge) will not finish off Golurk before Golurk kills it, in spite of Diggersby's speed advantage. Of course, if it's running Life Orb it can reliably KO Golurk at that point, but if it gets hit even once it'll go down to the combination of Golurk's damage and its own recoil, so Golurk will at least have sacrificed itself for the good of the team.

Things look much bleaker for Golurk if Diggersby decides to run Thief, Payback, or Fling-with-a-good-item for some reason, but any of these causes Diggersby's performance to suffer against other Pokemon, since it has to replace Wild Charge (Bad), Extreme Speed (Worse), Earthquake (Also worse) or Shell Smash/Fake Out. (Still bad) Taking one of these Dark moves is such a hit to Diggersby's overall performance that if it can take out Golurk (And there's always the Confusion issue) that it's considerably more likely that some member of your team can take out Diggersby that really shouldn't be able to.

The exact set you run on Golurk is pretty irrelevant to its ability to counter Diggersby, as long as it has Air Balloon, No Guard, and Dynamic Punch. Everything else can be customized to fit the rest of your team's needs. Bonemerang is basically Earthquake-that-breaks-through-Sashes-and-Substitutes, which is huge and can allow Golurk to counter stuff like Shell Smash Simple Bibarel that would otherwise set-up and then sweep it before it moved, Shadow Sneak is because physical Ghost moves are awful for raw damage so I'd rather have priority, and Stone Edge is coverage on Flying types mostly.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Counter
Dig This (Golurk) @ Air Balloon
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bonemerang
- DynamicPunch
- Shadow Sneak
- Stone Edge

Air Balloon Golurk. I seriously run it on my team entirely to counter Diggersby. The default set (The one listed by Adrian) is completely unable to touch it and must switch or die, no choice, regardless of how many boosts it has. Generally I just DynamicPunch if they have no Ghosts on their team because then anything that switches in has to suffer through Confusion if it survives, and then I can just switch out and let them decide whether they want to stay in and risk being hit by Confusion or perform another switch while my own Pokemon boosts or gets in a free, nasty hit. Diggersby actually can learn a few Dark moves if it wants to counter this, but what I've actually seen happen is they use Stone Edge to pop my balloon and then Earthquake me out of existence, but that only works if they anticipate the switch, because otherwise Diggersby ends up punched and Confused the turn it pops the balloon, and then I'm free to either switch in something immune to Earthquake that can take an unboosted Extreme Speed or anticipate their anticipation and stay in to punch them again for a KO. (Or gamble and hope Confusion blocks their turn)

252+ Atk Golurk Dynamic Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Diggersby: 288-340 (77 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Golurk Dynamic Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diggersby: 288-340 (92.6 - 109.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Golurk: 255-300 (66.7 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Golurk: 85-100 (22.2 - 26.1%) -- 11.1% chance to 4HKO

If Diggersby does not get two high rolls (On Stone Edge and then Earthquake) or a crit and has no boosts, a set running Stone Edge (Presumably over Wild Charge) will not finish off Golurk before Golurk kills it, in spite of Diggersby's speed advantage.

Things look much bleaker for Golurk if Diggersby decides to run Thief, Payback, or Fling-with-a-good-item for some reason, but any of these causes Diggersby's performance to suffer against other Pokemon, since it has to replace Wild Charge (Bad), Extreme Speed (Worse), Earthquake (Also worse) or Shell Smash/Fake Out. (Still bad) Taking one of these Dark moves is such a hit to Diggersby's overall performance that if it can take out Golurk (And there's always the Confusion issue) that it's considerably more likely that some member of your team can take out Diggersby that really shouldn't be able to.

The exact set you run on Golurk is pretty irrelevant to its ability to counter Diggersby, as long as it has Air Balloon, No Guard, and Dynamic Punch. Everything else can be customized to fit the rest of your team's needs. Bonemerang is basically Earthquake-that-breaks-through-Sashes-and-Substitutes, which is huge and can allow Golurk to counter stuff like Shell Smash Simple Bibarel that would otherwise set-up and then sweep it before it moved, Shadow Sneak is because physical Ghost moves are awful for raw damage so I'd rather have priority, and Stone Edge is coverage on Flying types mostly.
This is one of things I feel, like asterat said, counter diggersby perfectly, but is pretty useless otherwise. Golurk is too slow and frail to make much of an impact in such an offensive metagame.

EV

Banned deucer.

- Gengar
- Check
- Ghost w/ Levitate grants immunity to both of Diggersby's STABs and if Gengar can avoid Wild Charge, it can get a free switch into the standard set posted above. While frail, it is much faster than Diggersby and has a high Special Attack and super-effective Focus Blast to take it out should Diggersby not switch. Otherwise it can set up a Substitute, and if the opponent keeps Diggersby in and goes for Wild Charge, Gengar can Disable the move, meaning Gengar won't take any damage at all from any move. Unfortunately, Gengar's Ghost STAB is useless and its Poison STAB is NVE, which is why you'll need Focus Blast to really threaten Diggersby.

Disabler Rager @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Calcs:
252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Wild Charge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 192-226 (73.2 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Diggersby: 326-384 (104.8 - 123.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

bestoise97 I'd add at least 4 Speed to Sableye to beat other Sableye's that don't invest. Speed creep would tell us that 8 or 12 is even better, tho. I know it isn't relevant for Diggersby, but I still wanted to bring it up. C=

The checks and counters don't have to be useful other than checking/countering the victim. Hell, post Drifblim if you want.
if u insist

Drifblim @ Power Herb
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Force
- Acrobatics
- Roost / Destiny Bond / Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
Driflbim o3o. This set is actually super fun and has the fun nifty thing of being a perfect counter to Diggersby, our victim. This set can set a Substitute as Diggersby is forced out, then proceed to just kinda wreck everything. Shadow Force is super strong and activates Unburden and allows spammable Acrobatics. Acrobatics is cool, and it just doesn't see use. Roost keeps it alive really and aids it if it can't sweep, which you shouldn't. You should come in on Diggersby, force it out and get out of there. Got to finals of a STABmons tour using this, so it must be good, r-right?

Last edited:

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
but don't post driftblim. Please. Save us the heartache.
if u insist

Drifblim @ Power Herb
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Force
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Substitute
Driflbim o3o. This set is actually super fun and has the fun nifty thing of being a perfect counter to Diggersby, our victim. This set can set a Substitute as Diggersby is forced out, then proceed to just kinda wreck everything. Shadow Force is super strong and activates Unburden and allows spammable Acrobatics. Acrobatics is cool, and it just doesn't see use. Roost keeps it alive really and aids it if it can't sweep, which you shouldn't. You should come in on Diggersby, force it out and get out of there. Got to finals of a STABmons tour using this, so it must be good, r-right?
/me walks in front of a bus
*bus doesn't hit me*

While I don't play STABmons, I can't help but post this.

Shedinja @ Focus Sash (Counter)
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD
-Whatever
-Whatever
-Whatever
-Whatever

It's Shedinja. It's completely immune to the posted set 100% of the time. Hence, you could cheat and run Splash/Hold Hands/Celebrate/Happy Hour and put all of your EV investment into HP and Special Defense and Sheddy would beat the posted Diggersby set every single time. And that's all there is to say.

if u insist

Drifblim @ Power Herb
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Force
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Substitute
252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Drifblim: 478-564 (108.3 - 127.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

/heartache

252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Drifblim: 478-564 (108.3 - 127.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

/heartache
Wild Charge is bad >;(. But I mean if they're not runnin it (it's not even common so w/e) then yeah still a counter. And you can run Dbond or WoW

This is one of things I feel, like asterat said, counter diggersby perfectly, but is pretty useless otherwise. Golurk is too slow and frail to make much of an impact in such an offensive metagame.
If Diggersby didn't exist I would make a sad face and not use Golurk even though it's so cool. However, Golurk can consistently force Diggersby to switch out even if it's gotten off a Shell Smash, meaning it's a counter that isn't dependent on Diggersby behaving correctly. (If it's running the posted set) Furthermore, Golurk+Air Balloon is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes and resists Stealth Rock: the fact that I'll very probably end up switching out Golurk and switching it back in when they bring in Diggersby over and over again is something this Golurk can sustain for a long time, longer than they can if I get up entry hazards myself.

While Golurk is slow, my experience is this is not that big a deal because even if I did outspeed I'd probably want to switch out anyway on pretty anything that would be feeling safe to switch in on Golurk. Its durability is also fine: it's not tanky, but even fairly tough Pokemon are OHKOed by neutral V-Creates and other stuff flying around in the meta. It would have to be ridiculously tough to be a meaningful improvement over its current durability.

A much bigger problem with this set is that until Diggersby has been KOed (Burned can be acceptable too) I am unwilling to let Golurk take a hit from anything because it needs the Air Balloon to do its job, which severely constricts its utility: I've made the mistake of staying in on Eviolite Chansey and then they pop the balloon with Seismic Toss, and now Golurk can't counter Diggersby, even though it's not that bad a hit and Golurk will easily win against Chansey in a slugging match.

On the other hand, for reasons that mystify me people almost always switch in Sableye if they have Sableye, and this is usually a mistake on their part, particularly if I anticipated the switch and used Bonemerang. Most Sableye can't pop the balloon.

252+ Atk Golurk Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Sableye: 218-260 (71.7 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Or put another way, if Sableye stays in to Will O Wisp me (Assuming I anticipated it switching in), it dies, if it switched in with even relatively mild damage, it dies on the switch, and if they then switch it out instead of Will O Wisping I'm just getting in more free damage even though Golurk is, as you say, not so great a Pokemon. (I get the impression that some people have proceeded to lose the match because having Golurk beating them so badly screws with their head so much that they start making bad decisions)

A much bigger problem with this set is that until Diggersby has been KOed (Burned can be acceptable too) I am unwilling to let Golurk take a hit from anything because it needs the Air Balloon to do its job, which severely constricts its utility: I've made the mistake of staying in on Eviolite Chansey and then they pop the balloon with Seismic Toss, and now Golurk can't counter Diggersby, even though it's not that bad a hit and Golurk will easily win against Chansey in a slugging match.
But it's immune to Seismic Toss

canno

formerly The Reptile
since what I was originally going to post was taken, I I'll have to nominate ROTOM Chansey as a Counter

how do I make a chansey set help
So Chansey, being the fatty that it is, can wall this set, especially since it doesn't have to tank +2 attacks from Shell Smash (although it can tank one and Whirlwind, it will not appreciate it). While it doesn't really threaten Diggersby, Digg can't do anything about Chansey at all, since it does so little to it this is why we being Head Charge Diggersby folks ;) The set is pretty simple imo, S-Toss so you're not total Taunt bait, Softboiled is for recovery, third slot is for a more supportive move, and the last slot is for Whirlwind to blow away Sub and set-up mons, assuming you can take a hit from them.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled
- Heal Bell / Status Move (T-Wave, Toxic, Lovely Kiss) / Stealth Rocks
- Whirlwind

Calcs:
252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 280-330 (39.7 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Huge Power Diggersby Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 270-318 (38.3 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Chansey Seismic Toss vs. 4 HP Diggersby: 100-100 (32 - 32%) -- guaranteed 4HKO (:p)

Despite not playing this meta, this came to me out of nowhere specifically just to harass this Diggersby set. I assume this would be a check since it'd need to have about 50%ish HP remaining after switching into Diggersby's attack.

Furfrou @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Def / 64 Spe
Impish Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Soft Boiled
- Return
- Role Play

252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 192 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 104-123 (30.6 - 36.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. +3 192 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 42-49 (12.3 - 14.4%) -- possibly the worst move ever (Yes, it actually says that)

The given EV spread maximizes Furfrou's physical bulk while still allowing it to outspeed the given Adamant Diggersby set by exactly one point, thus allowing it to switch in on any of Diggersby's moves, even with some hazards up, and safely set up Cotton Guard. Soft Boiled gives Furfrou recovery, ensuring Diggersby can't wear it down . Return does solid damage, enough to quickly remove Diggersby.

0 Atk Furfrou Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Diggersby: 114-135 (36.5 - 43.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Of course, I wouldn't bother posting this if I didn't have some amusing gimmick to pull with it. Role Play, a move Furfrou gets via breeding, allows it to copy Huge Power if Diggersby is dumb enough to remain in after Furfrou sets up Cotton Guard. This leads to amusement such as this...

252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Furfrou: 84-99 (23.7 - 27.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Huge Power Furfrou Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Diggersby: 226-267 (72.4 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So yeah, not only is Diggersby completely destroyed, but now you have a Huge Power attacker in play that, while not as strong as the fat rabbit, is protected by Cotton Guard and is much harder to kill.

...though of course, if you'd rather use something more practical, Toxic, Sucker Punch, Roar, Wild Charge, U-Turn, Thunderwave, Work Up, and Refresh all could work without hurting Furfrou's ability to scoff at Diggersby since you really only need the first three moves. But come on, you know you want to Role Play Huge Power just to piss off Diggersby even more.

Anyway, I promise I'll stop participating in a meta I've not touched yet. (That or I'll end up playing it if more random sets just start popping into my head like this.)

Since Gourgeist was really more of a niche mon with little use outside of its role of beating most physical normals, I wanted to post something with a little more worthy of adding it to your team.
Check
Aerodactyl @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant/Jolly
252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 spd
-Brave Bird
-Head Smash
-Earthquake
-Roost
252 Atk Choice Band Aerodactyl Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Diggersby: 313-370 (100.3 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Huge Power Diggersby Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Aerodactyl: 72-85 (23.9 - 28.2%) -- 95.5% chance to 4HKO

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Huge Power Diggersby Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Aerodactyl: 144-169 (47.8 - 56.1%) -- 83.2% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Aerodactyl: 360-424 (119.6 - 140.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Aerodactyl Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 204-240 (51.7 - 60.9%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Aerodactyl Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 181-214 (54.1 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Aerodactyl Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 336-396 (47.7 - 56.2%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Aerodactyl Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 198-234 (75.8 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

This set aims to switch in on a predicted EQ or Fkae out, and immediately threaten an OHKO with Brave Bird, while also being able to maim any possible switch-ins.
The spread is given so it hits as hard as possible, while maintaining an odd HP value. The three attacking moves are the standard three to give it a great neutral coverage, and making it very difficult to switch into safely. Roost is chosen in the last slot to allow it to recover off repeated fake-out and stealth rock switch-ins. Jolly is preferred over Adamant since it allows it to check Greninja and avoid sacred fire from Talonflame, but adamant can be used if you only need it to beat base 113s or lower.

What makes Aero an effective Diggersby check is that it can very easily force your opponent to sac something on their team each time it's able to switch in freely, and it's able to switch in freely on Diggersby very often. However, due to the stealth rock weakness, it can very quickly fall into the KO range for espeed limiting it's ability to beat Diggersby.

EV

Banned deucer.
(Double submission because there are plenty more checks/counters to go around)

- Bronzong
- Counter
- Diggersby can only 5HKO this set at best after Leftovers, and that's assuming you never use King's Shield to cripple it. In the meantime, Bronzong's Gyro Ball is a 3HKO. Bronzong actually would do more against Shell Smash variants, but this Diggersby doesn't have it. Metal Burst is a little redundant with Gyro Ball and sounds counter-intuitive paired with King's Shield, but can be useful against special attackers once Diggersby has fainted or switched. Earthquake is nice should Heatran come in after Diggersby.

Ring Dem Bells @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Atk
IVs: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- King's Shield
- Gyro Ball
- Metal Burst
- Earthquake

Calcs:
252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Wild Charge vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 83-98 (24.7 - 29.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
12 Atk Bronzong Gyro Ball (89 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Diggersby: 109-129 (35 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

This set could definitely swap in more support for its team. Stealth Rock, Toxic, Trick Room, and screens are also viable. Essentially, Bronzong just needs one move to deal with Diggersby, meaning it can function in multiple roles on just one set, whereas some other checks/counters are relegated to only checking/countering Diggersby and not much else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)