Victreebel (Update) [GP 0/2]

I'm not going to be able to post the analysis for another couple weeks due to midterms. After that i will get this done. Thanks. Im going to get this done on Sunday. Sorry for the Delay.

edit: Im going to edit in what I have so far and work on the rest tomorrow, just so you know I am actually alive. Sorry for the wait, but its finally winter break :)

[Overview]

<p>Victreebel has always been thought of as a run-of-the-mill Chlorophyll abuser. That has been the truth for most of generation 4. However, with the advent of Heart Gold and Soul Silver, Victreebel finally gained somethings to separate it from the rest of the pack: Leaf Blade and Weather Ball. With great attacking stats, a new revamped move pool, and Chlorophyll, Victreebel is truly a fearsome sunny day sweeper.</p>

<p>On the other hand, Victreebel’s defenses leave alot to be desired. 80/65/60 defenses are nothing to be proud of, and even with its good supporting movepool, it can’t stand up to the hard hitters in the UU metagame. While resistances to common priority moves in Aqua Jet, Vacuum Wave, and Mach Punch increase it survivability while sweeping, it will still lose a large chunk of health from them, and is easily revenge killed after the sun fades away.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Sweeper
move 1: Solar Beam
move 2: Weather Ball
move 3: Sleep Powder
move 4: Hidden Power Rock
item: Life Orb
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Modest
evs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe

[set comments]

<p>The set aims to take advantage of Victreebel’s good base 100 special attack stat along with Weather Ball and Solar Beam. Under the sun, not only does Victreebel’s speed double due to Chlorophyll, but Solar Beam also needs no charge up. Weather ball becomes a fire type move with base 100 power, not accounting the boost from Sunny Day. This strong fire move lets it hit the grass types which resist solar beam. Hidden Power Rock damages the fire types which resists it’s other attacking moves, and sleep powder lets it immobilize a counter. The evs on this set are fairly simple. Maximum special attack and a Modest nature it hit hit as hard as possible. 228 speed evs allow it to outspeed scarf Rotom with chlorophyll active, the rest of the evs being placed in HP for added bulk.</p>

[additional comments]

<p> Victreebel has several other options that it can use on this set. Sludge Bomb is a very strong STAB attack but has bad type coverage and Weather Ball already damages grass types. Hidden Power Ice lets Victreebel rid itself of Altaria, who otherwise takes measly damage from everything but Hidden Power Rock, which fails faint support variants in two hits. However, with Stealth Rock support, it Hidden Power rock suffices, and either way Altaria can’t do much back. </p>

<p> While Victreebel does have great attacking stats, it still cant break through everything. Chansey is the bane of all UU special attackers, this one being no exception. Chansey has the added bonus of being able to stall out the remaining Sunny Day turns with the combination of Wish and Protect. However, Chansey must be wary of switching into the Sword Dance set due to it’s pitiful defense stat. Muk also is a good counter, albeit not as good as Chansey. This is because of no viable recovery. However it can get rid of Victreebel with a combination of Ice Punch and Shadow Sneak. Dugtrio defeats both of these, and as such is a very good partner.
</p>

<p> Like most sweepers, Victreebel appreciates Stealth Rock alot, particularly for the KO on Altaria. Obviously Sunny Day support is also a necessity. Pokemon like Uxie and Mespirit can set up both, but other pokemon like Hariyama, Ambipom, Persian, and Arcanine are also sufficient, and have different uses. Other Sunny Day abusers also appreciate Victreebel’s ability to weaken sturdy pokemon, most notably Registeel. Tangrowth and Shiftry are prime examples of this. Pokemon like Moltres and typhlosion also enjoy Victreebel’s ability to dispose of bulky water types.
</p>

[SET]
name: Sword Dance
move 1: Sword Dance
move 2: Leaf Blade
move 3: Sucker Punch / Return
move 4: Sleep powder/ Weather ball
nature: Naughty
evs: 120 SpA/ 252 Att / 136 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Victreebel can also run a viable physical set, thanks to its access to Sucker Punch and Leaf Blade. The grass and dark combination is very effective in UU, only being resisted by twelve pokemon. On the other hand, Return allows for strong neutral coverage. Either combination is helped greatly by the presence of fire type move, which in Victreebel’s case can be Weather Ball. Sleep Powder lets Victreebel put a counter to sleep, which is also beneficial to a team, paticualrly when Victreebel can’t combat a foe. Sword dance allows it to boost its physical attack to acceptable levels, and during sunny weather, Victreebel possesses adequate speed. </p>

<p>The speed evs on this set allow Victreebel to outspeed electrode under the sun. Victreebel needn’t use more speed evs due to the presence of priority. If you forgo Sucker Punch then running more speed is an option. Similarly, if you choose to not run this set with Sunny Day support, which is unadvised, using 180 speed evs is advised to outspeed base 60 speed opponents. Maximum attack is self explanatory on a physical set. When using Weather Ball, the remaining evs should be kept in special attack to boost its power. If you opt to use sleep powder or another move instead of Weather Ball, Victreebel has no use for special attack evs and they would be better off in the HP stat. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>One of the things often lacking on a Sunny Day team is priority, often only found on Arcanine. Victreebel has this useful asset, allowing to defeat pokemon such as choice scarf Rotom. However, due to his slightly lacking physical movepool, this set has a few more counters than the previous. Without the Modest nature and maximum special attack evs, Registeel counters this set with or without Weather Ball. Many other pokemon also resist both the Grass/Dark and Grass/Normal typing. A notable one is Houndoom, who threatens Victreebel with its STAB fire moves. All steel types also stop this set, along with pokemon with high defense stats. Unfortunately for Victreebel, most steel types tend to have high defenses. Due to this weakness to steel and dark types, a fighting type is almost necessary with this set. Hariyama is a prime example, possessing the ability to set up sunny day multiple times with its great defenses, as well as the ability to get rid of the aforementioned pokemon.</p>

<p> Many of the pokemon who work well with the previous set work well with this set as well, for the same reasons. Stealth Rock is also very useful for this set, due to the myriad of KO’s it achieves, most notably the ability to get rid of scarf Typhlosion with a +2 Sucker Punch.
</p>

Team Options:
- Sunnyday set up pokemon / abusers. Grumpig gets a special mention for resisting all of victreebell’s weaknesses, except for flying.
- Dugtrio, as stated above
- SR users. Macargo also gets a mention for resisting everything but psychic. It can also use sunny day.
- Flash fire pokemon like arcanine to absorb fire attacks, and strike back with sunny day and flash fire boosted attacks. Houndoom also resists all of victreebell’s weaknesses except for flying.

Other options:
growth
Leaf storm
support
annoyer with teeter dance, sleep powder, stun spore, or encore.
mostly outclassed by tangrowth or other pokemon with these sets, however.
Specs
Gastro acid or worry seed in doubles. They could work to an extent in singles.

counters for physical sweeper:
-If it doesnt run Encore, anything which resists Leaf Blade and Hidden power ground can come in and set up.
-Murkrow gets a special mention for being immune to sleep and resisting all three attacks, but it still doesn’t like getting hit, and is pretty frail.
-Registeel walls this to oblivion
-Cacturne and shiftry also resist all 3 attacks and can set up on them. Shiftry can abuse the sun as well.

Counters for special set:

- Chansey isnt 3ko'd by anything, but must make sure it isn't a physical set. Protect and Wish also lets it stall out Sunny Day turns.
- defensive muk (curse or restalk sets) can switch in, but the best they can do is explode.
- moltres / charizard can come in on anything but sludge bomb, which 2kos
- Defensive Altaria can come in on anything but HP ice, but can only 2ko back, while is 3ko'd on the switch.
- the best counter is a pokemon who can stall out sunny day turns. After sunny day is gone it is very easy to revenge kill.

made some edits. I think you should split the Swords Dance set and the Mixed VictoryBell set. I would put the Mixed set first, then the Special, then the Physical.

name: Special Sweeper
move 1: SolarBeam
move 3: Hidden Power Rock
move 4: Sleep Powder / Sunny Day
item: Life Orb / Heat Rock
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe

1) Modest + 228 Speed EVs lets you reach 233 Speed which outspeeds Timid Scarf Rotom in the Sun, pretty much the fastest Pokemon in UU.
2) Hidden Power Rock over Sludge Bomb. Weather Ball is already used for hitting Grass types. It hits Fire types slightly harder than Sludge Bomb and Flying types super-effectively, giving you the advantage over Altaria and Moltres. Mention Sludge Bomb in Additional Comments for use out of Sun.
3) Hidden Power Ice is not worth it since it hits only the uncommon Altaria. Mention in Additional Comments.

name: Swords Dancer
move 1: Sword Dance
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Sleep Powder / Encore
nature: Adamant
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe

Since we are splitting the Mixed set there is no need for Special Attack EVs. Encore shouldn't go first over Sleep Powder because umm. Most of the time you'll be hit by attacks (ouch) or status (ouch ouch ouch except Toxic) It still deserves a mention though. Don't put Sun on this set in move 4 as without Sleep Powder / Encore you are using an inferior Shiftry.

name: VictoryBell
move 1: Swords Dance
move 4: Weather Ball
EVs: 220 Atk / 136 SpA / 152 Spe

What does Victreebel truly specialize as a Sun sweeper? Running a Mixed set, with Weather Ball. Only Tangrowth is able to run a Mixed set, but it is so slow it has to sacrifice speed or power for the set. Another advantage VictoryBell has is Weather Ball > HP Fire.

In the Sun, Weather Ball almost has STAB so it has 150 Base Power. Super Effective HP Ground has 140 Base Power. So Weather Ball outdamages HP Ground for Drapion and Skuntank for 150 Base Power, and hits Registeel, Steelix, Dry Skin Toxicroak, Magneton, Mawile, Cacturne, Shiftry, Wormadam Trash for 300 Base Power. In return for hitting most of these Pokemon more than 2 times harder, (300 vs 140) you only lose to Monferno and Blaziken, which is not a problem for me as all Sunny Day teams should run a Flash Fire Pokemon to deal with these threats. (Arcanine/Ninetales)

You can't afford to run so much speed so 152 Speed outspeeds Timid Scarf Venusaur, Rock Polish Torterra, Modest Scarf Rotom, Modest Scarf Moltres and every unboosted Pokemon in UU. 136 Special Attack EVs allow you to deal at least 50.5% to Tank Registeel in the Sun so you will also 2HKO him with Stealth Rock and Leftovers factored in with Weather Ball. The rest of the 220 Attack EVs goes to Attack.

All right, will change the speed evs, though while I'm not sure of the need to outspeed rotom since it cant KO and you ko back (with SR). Definetely not for the Physical set though, since you KO with sucker punch. As for splitting the sets, I think I will wait for some more opinions on that.

Also, I will deslash HP ice and slash in HP rock. But I think sludge bomb deserves more than an AC mention.

Special Set: Ok, I see the potental for Sludge Bomb as Victreebel's most powerful attack outside the Sun. Still Victreebel is outsped by everything without the sun so a secondary slash is good enough. I think Grass + Fire + Rock is unresisted too.

I really think you should split the physical and mixed sets due to the EVs/Nature and Weather Ball yeah. Even if the community disagrees with the splitting then just replace HP Ground with Weather Ball.. As I have said above, HP Ground is inferior as WB hits more pokemon much harder.

Physical Set: I know of Scarf Rotoms with Will-O-Wisp... You sure it can't KO with Hidden Power Ice?

Grass/fire/rock is unresisted as well. very useful tool

I forgot to switch out Hp ground for weather ball. my bad. HP ground still lets you kill fire types though, which comes in handy.

Scarf rotom doesnt have HP ice as one of the standard choices, so I used shadow ball instead. Will-o-wisp may be a problem, but if they do will-o-wisp on the sucker punch you can set up another SD as they switch out, which I think balances out, or else still gives you a small boost.

There's already a Victreebel update on QC, but it hasn't been worked on for a looong time, so you might still be allowed to do this. The old update is here, and you can look on here if you want.
Anyway, I don't really see any problems with your sets. However, I would suggest merging the two counters sections together. I know that the counters for each set are different, but if it gets uploaded, it needs to be one unified section. Also, the Other Options section should be between the Team Options and the unified Counters section. Other than that, good job!

I knew there was another one in QC I mentioned it in the last line before the overview.

I figured I would put two counters paragraphs when writing, since neither set has a universal counter (well, maybe muk, but no one uses that anyways). in the actual analysis the sections will be combined.

I'll move the sections to the correct order

I am glad my Victorybell set is getting updated. There have been a lot of changes in UU since I invented it, and I am glad it has been changed to keep up. I also think this is a good analysis, but shouldn't Leaf Storm be mentioned? LS allows for a more immediate threat, or as a last resort.

Leaf storm doesnt really halp it sweep, instead its more of a hit and run move. Although I am surprised I didn't mention it at all. I will add that to other options at the bottom.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Quick criticism...

The special sweeper set is too slashy at the moment. I'm not really seeing Sludge Bomb's use when HP Rock hits everything that resists Solarbeam/Weather Ball harder (except Ludicolo...are there others?) so I'd say it's AC material. Sleep Powder should absolutely be the only thing in the final slot, it's way too useful. Mention sunny day/heat rock in AC.

For the Swords Dance set...no Return? That's invaluable. I would recommend slashing it in over Sucker Punch, just because you should be outrunning everything in the sun anyway, Grass/Normal gets decent coverage, and as you say ignoring Sleep Powder/Encore basically means you're an inferior Shiftry.

I'm also not so certain VictoryBell deserves to be split...was that a suggestion from someone's QC round or something you chose to do on your own? I'd like to hear your reasoning behind that.

Make those changes/explain why you won't and I will approve this.

just wrote a long reply and the my computer restarted automatically for windows updates. ugh.

Anyways. Sludge bomb and Sunny day to AC. Sludge bomb is weaker than solar beam, weather ball, or HP rock 99% of the time, but it has some merit when the sun runs out. Sunny day is really a bit of a waste, since sleep powder then a switch to your arcanine or uxie is usually better.

I think if you run return on the SD set it is outclassed by Tangrowth, who doesn't have to go mixed to get rid of steels. It can just use Eathquake, allowing it to save evs. And its bulkier. However, if you run sucker punch, you still are better than shiftry because of a better way to dispatch steels. IMO weather ball > low kick.

I have to go to school now, so I may elaborate later

OK if anyone is testing Victreebel please note that Weather Ball is glitched on Shoddy Battle and does only around half the real damage... I got a reply from the Shoddy sub-forum saying Shoddy will not be updated to fix this. =(

all right, return gets the primary slash with sucker punch. In that case should I change to ev spread to YaM's to outrun rotom, as you no longer KO it with sucker punch. The current one can be AC.

FlareBlitz

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Looks like you followed my suggestions. I'm just going to make a quick sun team and test the mixed SD sweeper, if it works out I'll approve it.

FlareBlitz

Yes, sorry, I thought I already finished this up.

The biggest thing I noticed in my tests was that you didn't have to go mixed with Victreebell on its SD set. The optimal set was SD/Leaf Blade/Return/Sleep Powder. It avoids being outclassed by Tangrowth due to higher speed. Now, Mixed actually does make sense if you go SD/Leaf Blade/Weather Ball/Sucker Punch...but forgoing sleep powder seems really...meh. What I would recommend is mentioning in the analysis that a pure physical set is possible on SD, and if it's chosen then the SpA EVs and -SpD thing can go away for a simple Adamant max/max set.

Assuming you make those changes...

awesome. Thanks guys. I'll write the sets up today, though I will be gone for most of next week.

edit: I was so sick of writing yesterday after writing an english essay, so I didn't bother getting it done. I did some though. I'm on the road for the next week, but after that it will be done ASAP

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
coolking, if you do not update the OP, I will be forced to let someone else write this up. AlonsoForever has expressed interest, so either get it done or lose it.

EDIT: coolking has contacted me and expressed interest in writing it. He shall keep it for the time being.

This was what I had about Victreebel. I'll be glad if it can help to add a bit more information.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70415

[Overview]

<p>Victreebel has a very good Attack and Special Attack. It can hit hard, and destroy teams that aren't prepared for it. Although it is very slow without Sunny Day, and doesn't have good defenses, Victreebel is a force to be reckoned with in the lower tiers. It's one of the best Sunny Day sweepers available.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: SolarBeam
move 3: Sleep Powder
move 4: Hidden Power Rock / Hidden Power Ice
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Once you get Sunny Day up, Victreebel becomes a very powerful Sweeper. SolarBeam is your main attack, which causes a lot of damage to Pokémon that don't resist it. Weather Ball is great on Victreebel and with Sunny Day active it becomes a very strong Fire-type move, killing Grass and Ice-type Pokémon. The best option for the last slot is Sleep Powder, because it allows you to incapacitate your counter and set up Sunny Day easily. Hidden Power Ice is there because it kills Dragon-Type Pokémon that are resistant to Weather Ball and SolarBeam, although you won't find a lot of Dragons in NU (maybe Shelgon), so Hidden Power Ice works better in UU, to kill Altaria. In addition to covering the rare Dragon-type Pokémon, Hidden Power Ice covers Flying-type Pokémon too. Hidden Power Rock covers Fire-type Pokémon. You can also use Sludge Bomb in the last slot because of STAB, as it deals some powerful neutral damage to a lot of Pokémon that resist its other attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread lets him outspeed Electrode after setting up Sunny Day. You can also use 152 Evs in Speed to outspeed Choice Scarf Moltres, Adamant Rock Polish Torterra, Choice Scarf Rotom and Choice Scarf Timid Venusaur.</p>

<p>Life Orb gives Victreebel more power. With Life Orb, you will always OHKO Electrode with Solar Beam, and almost always 2HKO Hypno after Stealth Rock damage.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf Typhlosion outspeeds Victreebel and kills it with Eruption or Flamethrower. For that reason, Grumpig, Slowbro, Milotic and Slowking are very good team mates for Victreebel, as they can counter Typhlosion. Grumpig is an ideal counter to Typhlosion due to Thick Fat, which halves damage from Fire-type moves, and a high special defense, allowing Grumpig to take Typhlosion's STAB Eruption and Flamethrower and hit back with STAB Psychic. Milotic is also a good Typhlosion counter, being able to take any of Typhlosion's moves thanks to a Fire resistance and a monstrous base 125 special defense and OHKO back with STAB Surf. Slowking and Slowbro resists Typhlosion attacks very well too, thanks to their defenses and their Fire resistance, and they OHKO Typhlosion with STAB Surf.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dancer
move 1: Swords Dance
move 4: Sleep Powder / Leaf Storm
nature: Adamant / Naughty
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Swords Dance Victreebel may seem to be outclassed by Leafeon, but that’s not true at all. Chlorophyll, Sleep Powder and Sucker Punch make Victreebell a different Pokémon. Use Swords Dance, and then proceed to attack. Leaf Blade is your main STAB attack, and it OHKOes a lot of Pokémon that doesn’t resist it after a Swords Dance. Sucker Punch is the strongest priority move in the game (tied with ExtremeSpeed), and it will do some decent damage to Pokémon that doesn’t resist it. The final Slot has a lot of options again. The best is Sleep Powder, as it allows you to set Swords Dance easily. Leaf Storm is a very strong special attack that can surprise your opponent, but Sleep Powder is generally the better option.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is simple. It maximizes Victreebel attack, and allows it to outrun base 60 Speed opponents. Put everything else into HP.</p>

<p>The item should be Life Orb, as it allows you to be more powerful. </p>

<p>Sunny Day support is very important in all Victreebel sets, as with it up, Victreebel will be much faster.</p>

<p>This set has problems against Steel-type Pokémon, so Dugtrio is a great team mate for Victreebel. With Arena Trap, STAB Earthquake and its great base 120 Speed, Dugtrio counters Pokémon such as Aggron and Registeel.</p>

<p>Arcanine can come in on Victreebel easily with Intimidate, and OHKO it with Flare Blitz. Swellow resists Leaf Blade, and can kill Victreebel with Brave Bird. For that reason, Pokémon like Slowbro and Registeel are good team mates for Victreebel. Slowbro's Defense is actually very good, and it lets him resist Arcanine attacks very well, and hit back with STAB Surf. Registeel is a great counter to Swellow because it is resistant to Swellow's STAB moves (and to Steel Wing) and can hit back with STAB Iron Head. </p>

[SET]
name: Victorybell
move 1: Leaf Blade
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Weather Ball / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Swords Dance
EVs: 252 Atk / 144 SpA / 112 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Victreebel set can kill a lot of Pokémon that are not prepared for it, especially in OU. Leaf Blade is a great STAB Attack, and after a Swords Dance it OHKOs Milotic, Slowbro and Donphan, and almost always OHKOs Regirock in UU, and in OU it OHKOs Tyranitar, Hippowdon and Swampert and 2HKOs Blissey, defensive Rotom-A and Dusknoir. Sucker Punch destroys Alakazam, Espeon, Mismagius and Rotom in UU, and Gengar and Azelf in OU. It also gets priority, and can help when Sunny Day isn't up. Weather Ball is a good option as it is very powerful with Sunny Day, defeating a lot o Steel and Grass-type Pokémon . In OU, however, Hidden Power Fire is better, as Sandstorm is up in almost all battles due to Tyranitar and Hippowdon. It OHKOs Scizor, Forretress, and Lucario. It is also your best bet against Skarmory.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As always, Sunny Day support is very important, Victreebel needs to be fast. A lot of UU Pokémon than can set up Sunny Day have been mentioned in other sets. If you are using Victorybel in OU, use Azelf, Uxie or Cresselia to set up Sunny Day (remember that in OU Tyranitar, Abomasnow and Hippowdon can stop Sunny Day with their abilities.)</p>

<p>The Evs maximize Victreebel Attack, and let it outspeed some Pokémon when Sunny Day is up. Life Orb is again the best choice.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>A lot of Pokémon can OHKO Victreebel, and most Pokémon are quicker than Victreebel. But, if Sunny Day is up, Victreebel outspeeds almost all Pokémon and can put his counters to sleep with Sleep Powder. That is why Sunny Day support is always fantastic. Probopass, Moltres, Meganium, Uxie, and Porygon2 are fantastic choices to use Sunny Day, as they can resist a lot of hits and then use Sunny Day. Moltres can use Sunny Day to sweep or to help its team mates. Meganium is bulky and can use Sunny Day very well. Uxie has fantastic defenses, and it almost always uses Sunny Day. Porygon2 can trace Flash Fire and then kill Arcanine and Houndoom. Porygon2 is also bulky and sets Sunny Day up pretty well.</p>

<p>As in all offensive Pokémon, Stealth Rock and Spikes support is fantastic. Probopass, Cloyster, Uxie, etc. can set Entry Hazards in your opponent team very well. Probopass' defenses lets it resist a lot of attacks and set up Stealth Rock. Uxie is also a great Support Pokémon, since it almost always sets up Stealth Rock, due to its high defenses.</p>

<p>For the Special Sets, taking out Clefable, Chansey, Umbreon and Regice can be very problematic, due to their high Special Defense. For that reason, Fighting-type Pokémon are great team mates for Victreebel. Hariyama, Hitmontop, Hitmonlee and Primeape are examples of Pokémon that cause problems to them, as their STAB Fighting-type moves hurt them a lot.</p>

<p>For the Physical Sets, it is very difficult to take out Leafeon, Muk, Aggron and Torkoal. For that reason, Water-Type Pokémon work well, as they take out Torkoal and Aggron, especially Gastrodon and Quagsire, as they can take out Muk very well with STAB Earthquake. Altaria is fantastic, because it takes out Muk, Aggron and Torkoal with Earthquake after a Dragon Dance, and resists Leafeon attacks.</p>

<p>When facing your best counter, Muk, you can at least put it to sleep and send out one of its counters (Drapion, Steelix, Bastiodon...) You can also set up a stat upper with ease, such as Rhyperior, Houndoom or Altaria in UU, and Crawdaunt, Armaldo or Tropius in NU. Aggron, Rhyperior (Rhydon in NU) and Golem are great team mates for Victreebel, as they kill Flying-type Pokémon, Ice-Types Pokémon and Fire-Type Pokémon with their STAB Rock-type attacks. They can also take out Muk, use Stealth Rock, and boost their Stats thanks to Victreebel Sleep Powder.</p>

<p>Flash Fire Pokémon, such as Arcanine and Houndoom, can come in a Fire-type attack, and proceed to attack.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Victreebel movepool is actually very small. Teeter Dance and Toxic are good support moves. Growth can be used in a Special Sweeper Set. A Support Set, with Knock Off, and Sleep Powder can be used, but it's pretty outclassed by Venusaur. Synthesis is a good recovery move, but with Victreebel’s defenses, it won't ever really see a lot of use. Return, Double Edge and Body Slam are options for the Swords Dance Set. Stun Spore can be used in other sets as well, but it is generally inferior on sweeping sets. Reflect is a good support option, while Encore can be used to annoy other Pokémon. Gastro Acid and Worry Seed can mess with those who rely on their ability and Stockpile is an okay option too. You can try a SubSalac Set too, but it isn’t recommended. Choice Specs is an option, but it is outclassed by Sceptile and Venusaur.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Since Victreebel's defenses are very poor, a strong STAB attack almost always OHKOs or 2HKOs Victreebel. If Sunny Day isn't up, Arcanine, Typhlosion, Pidgeot, Dodrio, Fearow, Swellow, Altaria, Houndoom, Charizard, Magmortar, Hypno, or Grumpig are good counters to Victreebel, because they can switch in with ease and hit him back with their STAB moves. But, if Sunny Day is up, some of them are not reliable. Chansey and Mantine wall all the Special Attacks that Victreebel uses, but Leaf Blade is dangerous for them. Priority Ice Shards are also quite strog against Victreebel. Muk is also a great option, as he resists both STAB moves, and can't be poisoned by Sludge Bomb. Also, Sticky Hold negates Knock Off. Generally, Victreebel is very dangrous if Sunny Day is up, so, if you can survive his attacks until Sunny Day fades, you will defeat it.</p>

<p>In OU, Victorybell is walled by Skarmory, that can use Whirlwind or can OHKO it with Brave Bird, although he must be wary of Hidden Power Fire. Infernape can also be a problem, as he resists Sucker Punch, Leaf Blade and Hidden Power Fire. Dusknoir and Rotom-A can use Will-o-Wisp tu burn Victreebel. Some Choice Scarf users, such as Starmie, can outspeed Victreebel and kill it with their strong attacks. Abomasnow, Tyranitar, and Hippowdon can eliminate Sunny Day, but they won't like Victreebel's Hidden Power Fire (for Abomasnow) and Leaf Blade (for Hippowdon and Tyranitar).</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)