ORAS NU Vivillon and Friends

Hello my name is Realistic Waters and this is my first RMT!
I've only been using this team for a short while however, the team is fun and easy to use.

The team:

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Scald
- Toxic

Prinplup is one of the most relaible defoggers in the tier which is the reason why im using it. Defog keeps rocks away which the rest of the team apprecates. Prinplup can also set up rocks thanks to it being a reliable Stealth Rock setter due to its good defensive typing and ability to tank hits well. Scald is Prinplup's water stab dealing decent damage while having a nice chance to burn targets. Toxic is so it can get past bulky mons. The EV's are pretty standard just to increase physical bulk alowing it to take several hits before it's done it's job.

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Xatu being added offers me double hazard control and a nice quad resistance to fighting type attacks. I didnt want to go with standard calm mind Xatu as it's often quite hard to find the time to boost and also the fact it fails to beat calm mind musharna. U-turn is used to gain momentum and also chip damage to oppsong mons, psychic is Xatu's reaiable psychic stab dealing decent damage to most things, I have chosen heat Wave to hit steel types such as Mega Steelix, Mawile and Pawniard and roost is used so Xatu can stay healthy throughout the match. The EV spread is to maximise it's physical bulk. Rocky helmet is the chosen item as it will punish physcial attackers.

Vivillon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Compound Eyes
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Bug Buzz
- Sleep Powder

Scarf Vivillion is used to be a late game sweeper. Vivillon's u-turn is used for chip damage and to gain momentum. Hurricane is the main stab and hit for solid damage on most mons. Bug Buzz is the secondary stab used to hit Psychic mons such as Mesprit, Uxie and Musharna as well as hitting dark types. Thanks to the extra speed boost provided by Choice Scarf, Sleep Powder is capable of shutting down a dangerous mon for the rest of the match.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Grass Knot
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice

Helioisk is one of the best mons due to it's fantastic speed, ability and movepool. Helioisk can also act like a late game sweeper. Life orb is the chosen item is it increases it's damage output while being able to change moves. Hyper voice and volt switch are stabs, surf gives coverage hitting mons hard that think they can switch in such as Mega Camerupt, Mega Steelix, Golurk and Rhydon. Grass knot is used as well to hit Quagsire and Seimitoad who are big threats in the metagame.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Hariyama is on the team to check fire spam thanks to using thick fat and assault vest. Close Combat is fighting stab packing high base power that hits most mons hard. Knock Off gives coverage and removers items which can come in handy. Fake out is used as it's essentially free damage. Bullet punch gives Hariyama double priority which make up for it's lackluster speed stat and is to finish off weakneded mons.

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Couldn't complete the team without adding Mega Steelix, it's simply a monster. Steel/Ground typing offers resistances that my team needs. The movest is pretty straight foward. Rest allowes to regain health and avoid other status moves while sleep talk allows you to still attack while rest has been used. Heavy slam is the stab that hits most things for 120 base power. Earthquake is the other stab that also packs nice base power. The given EV spread increases it's damage output while retaining bulk thanks to the HP investment.

Any suggestions to improve the team would be greatly appreciated :)
Pastebin of the team: http://pastebin.com/4j6GQbKi

Opposing Heliolisk paired with Typhlosion or any offensive Fire-type really looks annoying for your team. Heliolisk is kind of annoying in general, but less so when Hariyama doesn't need to beat anything else. I guess you've got Steelix to check it as well because you can Rest up after taking a Surf from Heliolisk. To be fair though, Heliolisk + Typhlosion pretty much beats the entire metagame anyways. Guess I don't have much to say then other than watch out for them when playing this team because I don't think there's a good way to cover them outside of running more fast Pokemon. Nice team!

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Waters, cool team you got here that truly abuses top tier threats in the meta. You also have the overkill hazard core of Xatu and Prinplup to ensure that hazards stay off your side of the field.

The one thing that stands out to me is that you have a small Electric weakness which with Heliolisk recently joining the tier can prove troublesome to this team as Holly noted above. The most replaceable Pokemon on this team is Vivillon, which I see is being used to check a bunch of things, most notably Virizion. I think you might have some attachment to Vivillon seeing as its in the thread title but I'm going to suggest trying out Rotom-Spin > Vivillon which will offer a number of things over Vivillon. Chief among them is its better base defenses which let it act as a better check to threats such as Virizion, it also lets you have more utility against stall and balance teams where the scarf provides more harm than good. You could even run Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers as a last final check, however you lose out on is Vivillon's Sleep Powder. I also noticed that you place great pressure on Hariyama to sponge up special hits, running a Specially Defensive Mega-Steelix would help alleviate that stress so Hariyama can better check Fire-types. This will also give you a much better check vs. Heliolisk as it takes about 50% Surf, so you can switch in on the Volt Switch and KO with EQ.

@ Choice Scarf | Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid Nature
Volt Switch | Air Slash | Trick | Thunderbolt / Will-O-Wisp

Overall this was a solid team and my suggestions were fairly minor, but I hope they helped none the less ^.^

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I've never been a fan of choiced Sleep Powder in this gen. (Was a big fan previously, but no more)

Consider this: Every sleep powder you hit, you have to switch out immediately. You have 1/3 chance of them waking up on the switch, losing you 1 turn. You have 1/3 chance of them waking up as you get your first attack in. Given that you can never switch in Vivillon directly unless you get a free switch, you might have as well used the free switch to go to whatever you went to directly. And you have 1/3 chance of getting bailed out.

If you think about the probabilities every non-compoundeyes scarf sleep powder is a loser's bet, and even a compoundeyes sleep powder is a neutral deal. In fact, given that you'd only scarf sleep powder when you are kind of boned, if you get that low sleep roll you lose automatically, so that risk isn't in your favor. I guess it's better to have 33% chance than 0% chance, though!

Hey Waters, cool team you got here that truly abuses top tier threats in the meta. You also have the overkill hazard core of Xatu and Prinplup to ensure that hazards stay off your side of the field.

The one thing that stands out to me is that you have a small Electric weakness which with Heliolisk recently joining the tier can prove troublesome to this team as Holly noted above. The most replaceable Pokemon on this team is Vivillon, which I see is being used to check a bunch of things, most notably Virizion. I think you might have some attachment to Vivillon seeing as its in the thread title but I'm going to suggest trying out Rotom-Spin > Vivillon which will offer a number of things over Vivillon. Chief among them is its better base defenses which let it act as a better check to threats such as Virizion, it also lets you have more utility against stall and balance teams where the scarf provides more harm than good. You could even run Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers as a last final check, however you lose out on is Vivillon's Sleep Powder. I also noticed that you place great pressure on Hariyama to sponge up special hits, running a Specially Defensive Mega-Steelix would help alleviate that stress so Hariyama can better check Fire-types. This will also give you a much better check vs. Heliolisk as it takes about 50% Surf, so you can switch in on the Volt Switch and KO with EQ.

@ Choice Scarf | Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid Nature
Volt Switch | Air Slash | Trick | Thunderbolt / Will-O-Wisp

Overall this was a solid team and my suggestions were fairly minor, but I hope they helped none the less ^.^
Thank you for the rate Mont. I've been trying out Scarf Rotom-S over Scarf Vivillion and it's been going pretty well. Also Running 2 electric types can actaully help a lot, as I have even more pressure on Defog users such as Mantine, opposing Prinplup's and Archeops. I do feel like however im a little weaker to Musharna in particular, but then again I do have Mega Steelix. And on towards that, I did change the spread on Mega Lix to specailly defensive, which takes a lot of pressure off Hariyama. I'm just unsure about Keeping the rest talk set on Sp Def Lix as It dosent really do much other then take hits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)