Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Steam Eruption
- Defog
- Toxic

Blessed with fantastic dual STAB moves and a good support movepool, Volcanion is a great wallbreaker and Defogger in the RU metagame. Volcanion has great bulk even when uninvested, allowing it to tank hits from most Stealth Rock setters quite well and clear the field of entry hazards to ease pressure on its team. Flamethrower allows it to hit Steel-types such as Registeel, Metagross, and Cobalion for super effective damage, while Steam Eruption hits other Stealth Rock setters such as Rhyperior and Stakataka and has a 30% chance to burn the foe. Lastly, Toxic cripples Volcanion's usual checks and counters such as Gastrodon, Milotic, Seismitoad, and Noivern. Volcanion appreciates Pokemon like Zarude and Flygon that can stomach Electric-type attacks for it. Electric-types force Volcanion out, though its power means that they can only switch directly into its attacks once. Volcanion also has good synergy with pokemon that share the same checks such as Golisopod, Choice Scarf Mienshao, and Choice Scarf Heracross, as they can overwhelm checks such as Noivern and Gastrodon with a combination of hard-hitting moves.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
:volcanion:
Volcanion @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Steam Eruption
- Defog
- Toxic

Blessed with fantastic dual STABs(lowercase) and a good support movepool, Volcanion is a great wallbreaker and defogger in the SS RU metagame. Flamethrower allows it to hit Steel-types such as Registeel, Metagross and Cobalion for super effective damage. Steam eruption hits other stealth rock setters such as Rhyperior and Stakataka, along with high base power against neutral Targets and a 30% chance to burn, allowing Volcanion to punch holes through many a team. Volcanion also provides team support with Defog, clearing the field of hazards to ease pressure on its team. (I'd move the mentions of how you hit Stealth Rockers hard with your dual STAB combo down here to explain why it is such a good Defogger). Lastly, Toxic cripples Volcanion's usual checks and counters such as Gastrodon, Milotic and Seismitoad (add Noivern for the sake of variety). The given EV spread and nature enables it to hit as hard and be as fast as possible, notably (this part is too obvious to need mentioning) outspeeding all bulky Stealth Rock setters except Cobalion and even defensive Metagross. Volcanion appreciates pokemon like Zarude and Flygon that can stomach electric type attacks for it; Electric-types force Volcanion out, though its power means that they can only switch directly into its attacks once. (Just wanted to explain how it works in more detail than 'weak to electric so bring partner that resists it', this also gives an illustration of its offensive presence). Volcanion is also immune to water type moves because of its good ability in Water Absorb, so Fire type breakers such as Alolan Marowak, Chandelure and Darmanitan are good partners. Don't think I have ever used another fire-type alongside it... maybe at the end here you can talk about other partners that wear down Noivern & water-types (or appreciate Volcanion doing so). examples in my head include golisopod and scarf mienshao.

somewhere in here mention volcanion's great bulk even uninvested, lets you take coverage moves from the sr setters pretty well

Flareblitzkreig Tag me when you implement this and i'll look over it again.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
said checks
be specific about what they are in this sentence! these 3 all benefit from weakening noivern and gastrodon

The given EV spread and nature enables it to outspeed all Stealth Rockers except Cobalion.
i think this is sort of irrelevant and disrupts the flow of the sentence - u can probably remove it, and volc being faster is pretty intuitive anyways

QC 1/1

deetah

Delicate as silk
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Add Remove Comments (AC) = Add Comma
Implement this and then tag me afterwards so I can look it over once more and check the number of characters. Then I'll stamp it.

Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Steam Eruption
- Defog
- Toxic

Blessed with fantastic dual stabs STAB moves and a good support movepool, Volcanion is a great wallbreaker and Defogger (Capitalize) in the SS RU metagame. Volcanion is one of the best users of Defog in the tier due to its (Repeated info) has great bulk even when uninvested, allowing it to tank hits from most Stealth Rock setters quite well and clearing clear the field of entry hazards to ease pressure on its team. Flamethrower allows it to hit Steel-types such as Registeel, Metagross, (AC) and Cobalion for super effective damage, (AC) while Steam Eruption hits other Stealth Rock setters such as Rhyperior and Stakataka, along with high base power against neutral targets and has a 30% chance to burn, allowing Volcanion to punch holes through many a team the foe. Lastly, Toxic cripples Volcanion's usual checks and counters such as Gastrodon, Milotic, Seismitoad, (AC) and Noivern. Volcanion appreciates Pokemon like Zarude and Flygon that can stomach electric Electric-type attacks for it. Electric-types force Volcanion out, though its power means that they can only switch directly into its attacks once. Volcanion also has good synergy with Pokemon that share the same checks such as Golisopod, Choice Scarf Mienshao, (AC) and Choice Scarf Heracross, as they can overwhelm checks such as Noivern and Gastrodon with a combination of hard-hitting moves.

deetah

Delicate as silk
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Add Remove Comments (AH) = Add Hyphen

GP 1/1

Qiqi_Stamp.gif

Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Steam Eruption
- Defog
- Toxic

Blessed with fantastic dual STAB moves and a good support movepool, Volcanion is a great wallbreaker and Defogger in the RU metagame. Volcanion has great bulk even when uninvested, allowing it to tank hits from most Stealth Rock setters quite well and clear the field of entry hazards to ease pressure on its team. Flamethrower allows it to hit Steel-types such as Registeel, Metagross, and Cobalion for super effective damage, while Steam Eruption hits other Stealth Rock setters such as Rhyperior and Stakataka and has a 30% chance to burn the foe. Lastly, Toxic cripples Volcanion's usual checks and counters such as Gastrodon, Milotic, Seismitoad, and Noivern. Volcanion appreciates Pokemon like Zarude and Flygon that can stomach Electric-(AH)type attacks for it. Electric-types force Volcanion out, though its power means that they can only switch directly into its attacks once. Volcanion also has good synergy with pokemon that share the same checks such as Golisopod, Choice Scarf Mienshao, and Choice Scarf Heracross, as they can overwhelm checks such as Noivern and Gastrodon with a combination of hard-hitting moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)