Volcarona dances in the Rain!

Hey Smogon. I am back with a weather team, and of course, it's rain :P It is the most dominant weather so why not? Also, I wanted to try out the Rain set for Volcarona, because first of all, a lot of people underestimate it (shame -_-), second, it's a surprise set :D Not my own, all rights go to Smogon ._. I just found it and found it interesting.
Before I get into all the mons and stuff, I just want to say this team was made before Black and White 2, so it's pretty old, and one of my most successful teams. Honestly, I made this when I was new to competitive, so the team building probably will not make sense, nor the team (if possible). Now if i can only figure out how to use those hide/show icons...

Here we GO! :D

Team Building Process​

Ok since this was going to be a rain team centered around Volcarona, I need her and the rain inducer Politoed. Nice defensive core at first start (ish.. who am I kidding, it's not, really). Next I decided I needed another offensive mon, just to put pressure on the opponent.

So, I added Latios. Honestly I don't remember why, all I know is I wanted Thunder and yes -_- I know. Jolteon. Like I said in the intro I was new to competitive when I made this. Give me some slack. Anyway now I had a Specially Offensive Duo yay. I figured I needed a physical attacker, for the FATASS BLOBS THAT WE ALL HATE ALL THE WAY TO THE REALM OF ARCEUS.

I used Scizor, because hey let's face it, number one used mon of OU. I don't think that should be something taken lightly. Also rain somewhat rids of its fire vulnerability. Now I have my Offensive mons, so I started the Defensive "core".

Ferrothorn seemed reasonable, as it also benefits from rain, and can leech Seed any mon bar grass-types, which my offensive pokes would like :3 After having 5 pokes, I got stuck wondering who the final member would be. Yeah, derp moment. I needed a spinner!!

Tentacruel became my spinner. Volcarona would not be afraid of hazards anymore ^_^ and the Rain Dish is Handy :D And so is Toxic Spikes. Honestly who doesn't like t-spikes when it comes to sweeping?

AND THEN BLACK AND WHITE 2 IS ANNOUNCED! A new form of Thundurus, with 145 SpAtk? AND NOT UBERS? HELL YES IT WAS LIKE AN ARCEUSSEND FOR THIS TEAM so bye Latios I need room for Thundurus-T to wreak havoc. And this is it! the final product. And it has done really well, even though if there is a lack of synergy. Now then, on with the details.

Politoed

@Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
-Scald
-Protect
-Perish Song / Toxic
-Ice Beam

So we all know what Poli does. HE GON' MAKE IT RAIN. And since this team was made before the current era, it's the defensive variant, but not all defensive. I invested a little in Special Defense just take thunderbolts and what not better, and honestly, it actually works. Scald is there for the rain boost and 80%, uh i mean 30%, burn rate. Protect is for lefties recovery as well as scouting. I used to have Toxic, but at the moment I have Perish Song because mons that set up are just a pain in the ass -_- Ice Beam hits the unsuspecting Dragon types that think scald is my only move. Also it prevents Politoed from being a sitting duck up against DisableGar. Toed's role here is to take hits and possibly prevent opponent sweeps. :D

Volcarona

@Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Nature: Modest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Substitute
-Quiver Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Hurricane

Ah the star of the team. I must keep this in the back as long as possible. Or, if given the opportunity, set up early and sweep the opponent outright. Substitute completely prevents Volcarona from getting statused bar encore and taunt and whatnot, and it also prevents Leech Seed from happening. Then the magic happens. Quiver Dance as much as possible, and then Bug Buzz or HURRICANE everything! Bug Buzz is the STAB and no fire moves cuz rain (yes after the few boosts fire type attacks are powerful again but honestly I don't care I just want to show Volcarona doesn't need fire to be powerful :P). Hurricane is the star of the set, especially with the cofusion chance. In fact, Volcarona could care less for the blobs if they're confused and smacking their own faces. Hurricane also hits Terrakion neutrally, as well as other threats to Volc. As long as she stays behind a sub, priority will do NOTHING... unless banded dnite lives a Hurricane, or a normal gem Quick Attack from Terrakion hits... ._.

Thundurus-T

@Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Nature: Modest / Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Agility
-Thunder
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Focus Blast

Thundurus-T, abusing rain since... whenever BW2 were released. Seriously, who can unleash more powerful Thunders? If you know a non-uber poke who can fire Thunders better than Thundurus-T, hit me up ;) Agility pretty much ensures that Thun-T can outspeed most, if not all, OU or non OU mon while still harnessing maximum power at Modest Nature. However, I'm not overlooking a Timid nature entirely, as Speed is pretty situational during battles. Thunder completely abuses the 145 max SpA of Thun-T, as well as perma rain. Hidden Power Ice hits the Dragon types, Lando, Ground types, and any other mon that thinks it can stop Thun-T. Focus Blast is the problem. The shaky accuracy costs me games I swear. However I can't think of a better move than HP [Fighting] but... the hell will replace HP [Ice]??? Other than that, this set is extremely powerful ,and can either help Volc come in for a late-game sweep, or sweep for Volc if she faints. I really like this set, and honestly I don't understand the scarf sets ._. don't judge me

Scizor

@Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
-Bullet Punch
-U-turn
-Superpower
-Pursuit

Yep. Classic Scizor set. I couldn't ask for another one. (Actually, I'm considering Breloom because it hits Rotom-W but I'll ley Scizor stay :P) Bullet Punch Revenge kills anything, with STAB Technician and Banded factors. Obviously powerful. U-turn gives me momentum no matter whatOMFG IT GOT BURNED ARCEUS DAMMIT ;_; ah well. Superpower is just there when I don't feel like predicting at all. Especially when Ferro is sitting right there. And the blobs. And other mons weak to SP. Pursuit nabs Lati@s and Gengar without HP [Fire] for all three, as well as other Ghost or Psychic types. Really Scizor is just here to round off the Offensive mons, and for priority. And he does it well as long as he isn't asleep, frozen or burned.

Ferrothorn

@Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD IVS: 0 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Protect / Thunder Wave / Spikes

Ferrothorn is supposed to be the wall here. Leech and Protect. Stealth Rock so it hits all mons that come in, no matter how much damage it will do. Gyro Ball is for the faster threats that want to set up. I have Thunder Wave and Spikes also as the 4th slot option because even though it doesn't make sense with T Wave and Gyro, I plan to paralyze one poke while hitting a different one. Plus T Wave does save me at times when faster pokes that already set up fall to a Hurricane or Thunder. Ferro's role is really simple in this team.

Tentacruel

@Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
-Rapid Spin
-Scald
-Toxic Spikes
-Protect

In need of a spinner, I choose Tentacruel, and he fits well on my team. He absorbs any T-Spikes on my side, and sets up his own. Also, he spins away the remaining hazards, opening up for my Volc and Thun-T to sweep. Scald burns levitaters and Flying types, and Protect lets me scout while gaining 12% HP back. I use Black Sludge over Lefties because if i get Tricked, the opponent is hurt, and if he Tricks again, I just have to predict that and bring back my Tentacruel in.

THREATLIST

Sheer Lando is a big ass threat if my my Volc isnt at full HP. Volc is the only one able to take EP, only once, and then Quiver Dance and Hurricane Lando. Other than that, I'm a goner.

Specially Defensive or BalloonHeatran is also just annoying. Weird I know especially since I have two Water types. I say Heatran because if I'm in the middle of sweeping, I am NOT switching out til I faint. So I hope for the confuse hax with Hurricane or Focus Blast hits.

Rotom-W... why the hell would you change its typing gamefreak -_- you choose a house appliance and change its typing BUT NOT THE DAMN FIRE STARTERS??? Like Blaziken said, if Fennekin is Fire-Fight, WE WILL SKIN YOU ALIVE. Anyway, Rotom abuses my own rain -_- and takes all my hits well. I have to rely on SR and Leech Seed to wear it down, which really isn't good. At all. I hate you Rotom.

And those are the three threats as of now. I am not scared of mons that set up because i have Perish Song. Also I hope that T-Spikes wear them down lol. So, read, absorb, etc etc, and criticize me. Cuz this is such a nooby rain team I know xD. I would love to hear your own ideas. Just dont get rid of Volc. She's the reason why I made this team. Thank you Smogon, and I hope you enjoyed :P.

Until my next RMT :D Bye​

Hi nice team!

This team seems pretty solid, but I feel like it could do with a few changes to help Volcarona achieve a sweep easier. Heatran, Jirachi and specially defensive Skarmory all are quite difficult for Volcarona to break through since they resist its moves (although Jirachi doesn't resist Bug Buzz but wutevz). Skarmory and Heatran can just phase Volcarona out and Calm Mind Jirachi with Psyshock can just set up alongside it and eventually beat it. These Pokémon are also quite difficult for your other team members to take out as you mentioned in your threatlist with Heatran. While Thunderous-T certainly can destroy it, Skarmory still walls Scizor quite nicely although specially defensive varaints have to worry about Superpower, Ferrothorn can't do much to it either. Jirachi also works similarily and Sub+Calm Mind varaints can set up on pretty much every member of your team.

I think to make these Pokémon a bit less threatening and to provide Volcarona with an easier time sweeping your team could do with a little more offense. A Life Orb Starmie>Tentacruel does seem like a pretty good idea. For one Starmie's rain boosted Hydro Pumps will let it weaken special walls much easier for a Volcarona or even a Thunderous-T sweep. With Hydro Pump and Thunder Starmie also helps you destroy Jirachi, Heatran and Skarmory hitting 2 of them super effectively. Starmie still provides you with a rapid spinner and helps somewhat with your Rock Polish landorus weakeness by being able to outspeed it before a boost and beat it with Ice Beam and Hydro Pump. While losing Tentacruel does get rid of some defense as I mentioned your team needs more offensive pressure to break through special walls and besides Politoed and Ferrothorn also provide your team with a nice defensive back bone.

I also noticed your team lacks a revenge killer so switching Thunderous-T to a Choice Scarf Set with Volt Switch, Thunder, Focus Blast and Hidden Power Ice can provide you with one. You absolutely need a revenge killer since BW2 is such a fast paced metagame. A fast Volt Switch also puts a lot of pressure on the opponent and lets you easily gain momentum by giving you a switch in to one of your powerful attackers (Starmie, Volcarona, Scizor). You don't miss out on too much without the Agility set since this set provides identical coverage. This also makes Thunderous-T faster then RP Landorus before it has set up letting you revenge kill it with Hidden Power Ice.

My final change is regarding Ferrothorn although it is not really a change. I noticed you had ThunderWave, Protect and Spikes slashed on Ferrothorn but go with Spikes Spikes will help your Volcarona achieve a sweep easier and it will rack up damage on your opponent quickly since he will have to be constantly switching to wall/take on the many power houses your team carries.

Good luck with the team I hope I helped!

Sets

Starmie @ Life Orb | Natural Cure
Timid | 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hydro Pump | Thunder | Ice Beam | Rapid Spine

Thunderous-T @ Choice Scarf | Volt Absorb
Timid| 4 Hp 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Thunder | Volt Switch | Focus Blast | Hidden Power Ice

TL;DR
Tentacruel--->Starmie

Thunderous-T
.Agility Set--->Choice Scarf Set

Ferrothorn
.Spikes

Superpowerdude

Hey bro, Volcarona in Rain is fun. Cool team!

Alright so in your threat list you mentioned Landorus and SpD Heatran being a threat to you. I think you would be better off dealing with these threats (since a weakness to Landorus-I is terrible in this meta) would be LO Latias>Scizor. Basically, Latias can deal with Heatran, Landorus, and deal with Dragonite that have not got a DD boost, while walling Rotom-Wash well. What do you really need Scizor for? All you really end up dealing with is Celebi (who volcarona rapes) and revenge terrakion. You have enough resists to deal with Terrakion anyway so i won't be too scared of it. However, to deal with a possible Terrakion weakness, I will go ahead and Echo superpowerdude's idea by putting a Scarf Thundurus-Therian over your current one to take out all non-scarfed terrakion (which isn't too threatening to you, you have 4 fight resists, a bulky politoed and a Rock Resist).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)