Volcarona [QC: 1/2 Written]

[OVERVIEW]

Volcarona is an unique Pokemon that has a combination of a great STAB move and a great setup move. It has a decent coverage against Mega Salamence through Hidden Power Ice and Water-types through Giga Drain. It also has a nice speed of 100, making it be in the same speed tier as Kangaskhan-Mega and Charizard-Mega-Y. In addition, it can outspeed popular Scarfed Pokemon such as Tapu Lele and Landorus-Therian with a boost from Quiver Dance. However, Volcarona tends to have trouble against strong physical attackers such as Salamence-Mega and Landorus-T. It may also find itself in a risky situation when facing against Fire-types such as Charizard-Mega-Y and Heatran.

[SET]

name: Quiver Dance Sweeper
move 1: Heat Wave
move 2: Hidden Power Ice / Giga Drain
move 3: Quiver Dance
move 4: Protect
item: Firium Z / Life Orb
ability: Flame Body
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves

========

Heat Wave is Volcarona's primary STAB move, useful for taking on Steel-types such as Celesteela and Mega Metagross. Hidden Power Ice is a move that can be used once Volcarona sets up to deal a great deal of damage to Landorus-T and Mega Salamence. Giga Drain is an another coverage move that Volcarona may use to deal some damage onto Water-types such as Suicune and Milotic. Other moves to note is that Quiver Dance increases Volcarona's Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed by +1, making it stronger and faster. Lastly, Protect is available as an absolute necessity; Volcarona cannot tank an attack from common threats such as Landorus-T and Salamence-Mega.

Set Details

========

Flame Body is the only ability that Volcarona should use since Swarm is not worth the trouble. It also has a chance to burn any Pokemon that contacts Volcarona. This may deter physical attackers from using contact moves against it. Still, strong physical attackers such as Mega Salamence and Mega Kangaskhan may attempt to KO it as allowing Volcarona to set up can give rise to greater issues. Quiver Dance in Timid Nature gives Volcarona the capability to outspeed Jolly-natured Landorus-Therian and Deoxys-A. Firium Z is also the perfect item for Volcarona. It allows the user to use the move Inferno Overdrive with a base power of 175. It has a high chance to KO bulky Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan without the need of any boost. It also allows Volcarona to bypass Wide Guard on Pokemon such as Aegislash. However, it is an one-time use. To have a consistent but stronger damage output, Life Orb can be used as well.

Usage Tips

========

Due to the high usage of Landorus-Therian and Mega Salamence, Volcarona would work best with its own support, usually through Wide Guard or redirection. It should also be cautious of physical attackers. Also noteworthy of mention is that its item, Firium Z, can only be used once, so it should be saved until when it is truly needed. Examples of such times include the elimination of an opposing Wide Guard user and against a really bulky Pokemon. Volcarona can also be sent out once all its checks are eliminated. As an uncontested threat, it can easily set up and serve well as a late-game sweeper.

Team Options

========

Volcarona appreciates Wide Guard support from Pokemon such as Aegislash and Celesteela. If these Steel-types aren't present in battle, then they can act as pivots for Volcarona. Redirectors such as Jirachi and Fake Out users such as Kangaskhan-Mega also gives Volcarona the opportunity to use Quiver Dance. Pokemon with the ability Intimidate helps Volcarona survive Physical moves, too, most notably a Rock Slide from a Jolly-natured Landorus-T. Electric-types such as Tapu Koko and Rotom-W are useful in eliminating opposing Water-types for Volcarona. They can also deal with Dragon-types and Fire-types, respectively, both of which resists Volcarona's STAB move. Water-types such as Suicune and Milotic are also great for eliminating common threats such as Landorus-T and Salamence-Mega. Milotic also does a great job of deterring Intimidate users from switching in since doing so will activate Milotic's ability Competitive. Other teammates to consider are Kyurem-Black and Deoxys-Attack because they can also eliminate Landorus-T and Salamence-Mega with ease.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options

=============

Fire Blast is Volcarona's strongest STAB move with inaccuracy as its only drawback. For better accuracy, Flamethrower may be used. Other Fire-type moves to consider is Fiery Dance, which gives the user an opportunity to gain a boost in Special Attack. Bug Buzz also can be used to cover the team's weakness to Psychic-types and Dark-types. Other options to consider is Volcarona’s role as a support. By utilizing Rage Powder, it can redirect Fairy-type, Grass-type, Ice-type, and Steel-type attacks. It can do so while providing the much needed Fire-type STAB. It also has access to Tailwind, which doubles the speed of Pokemon in its side of the field.

Checks and Counters

===================

**Fire-type Pokemon**: Fire-types can easily resist both of Volcarona's moves. This can allow opposing Fire-types to set up or simply eliminate Volcarona.

**Rock-type Pokemon**: Strong Rock-types such as Terrakion and Aerodactyl-Mega can easily eliminate Volcarona. Landorus-Therian, although not a Rock-type Pokemon, still uses Rock Slide and is also a threat to Volcarona.

**Water-type Pokemon**: Without a boost from Quiver Dance, Volcarona can face massive damage from Water-types. A Hydro Pump from Keldeo or a Steam Eruption from Volcanion is a guaranteed OHKO.

**Flying-type Pokemon**: Mega Salamence and Shaymin-Sky naturally outspeed Volcarona and can also threaten it with heavy damage.

**Dragon-type Pokemon**: Dragon-types such as Hydreigon and Latios can wall Volcarona and proceed to what they need to do.

**Tailwind, Paralysis, and Trick Room**: Due to Volcarona's frailty, opposing speed control can make Volcarona stop in its tracks and become an ineffective sweeper.

**Strong Physical Attacker**: Strong physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan and Hoopa-Unbound can easily OHKO Volcarona.

Last edited:

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One really small detail is that Mega Swampert isn't actually in the meta right now, so I wouldn't use that as an example of a Giga Drain target.

general stuff:
  • your wording is unnecessarily elaborate (and some places doesn't make sense w/o reading it a couple times) so next time keep in mind that it's better to keep your bullet points simple and succinct in the first stages of qc
  • it should be "Dragon-types" not "Dragon types"; you make this mistake repeatedly through out your analysis so make sure to correct that

[OVERVIEW]
  • you're overselling volcarona in the overview; an unfimilar reader will think volcarona is one of the top tier threats (which it isn't)
  • add some bullet points about its drawbacks, such as its 4x weakness to rock and it getting walled by dragon- and fire-types, as well as heatran
[SET]
  • the move order is a little messed up; the first moves should be heat wave / fire blast, giga drain / bug buzz, quiver dance, and then protect. the general rule is STABs first, coverage next, status moves next, then protect in the last slot
  • imo fire blast is oo material, but at least remove from the main set and just give it a mention in move comments
  • if fire blast gets kept, make sure to note its poor accuracy
  • not so sure about firium z either, ask qc about that tho
[SET COMMENTS]
  • the bullet points should be moved to reflect the new order of the moves in the main set
  • your bullet point on bug buzz is a bit missleading; bug buzz doesn't hit dragon-types super effectively, the two examples of dragon-types you gave have secondary typings that cause this to be so. edit that
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
  • add focus sash to oo
  • remove tailwind from the paralysis, tailwind, and trick room checks and counters tag, because volcarona can often times acquire enough boosts to outspeed opponents under tailwind, and tailwind can also often be stalled out
:toast:

edit: i fixed some places where autocorrect fucked up so my check makes a lot more sense now lol

Last edited:
  • your wording is unnecessarily elaborate (and some places doesn't make sense w/o reading it a couple times) so next time keep in mind that it's better to keep your bullet points simple and succinct in the first stages of qc
I don't think I was unnecessarily elaborate, but rather very specific in what Volcarona can accomplish. If there are places that doesn't make sense, then please point it out.

• it should be "Dragon-types" not "Dragon types"; you make this mistake repeatedly throughly your analysis so make sure to correct that
I will correct these mistakes. Thanks.

[OVERVIEW]
  • you're overselling volcarona in the overview; an unfimilar reader will think volcarona is one of the top tier threats (which it isn't)
  • add some bullet points about its drawbacks, such as its 4x weakness to rock and it getting walled by dragon- and fire-types, as well as heatran
I don't think I'm overselling Volcarona. It is certainly a huge threat after it sets up with Quiver Dance. However, it isn't a Pokemon that typically needs to be considered checking when building a team as it is naturally done so due to the popularity of Charizard-Mega-Y and Heatran. I have already typed its drawbacks.

[SET]
  • the move order is a little messed up; the first moves should be heat wave / fire blast, giga drain / bug buzz, quiver dance, and then protect. the general rule is STABs first, coverage next, status moves next, then protect in the last slot
  • imo fire blast is oo material, but at least remove from the main set and just give it a mention in move comments
  • if fire blast gets kept, make sure to note its poor accuracy
  • not so sure about firium z either, ask qc about that tho
I will correct it to the preferred move order.
There is no way Fire Blast will be removed as it is a staple for OHKO'ing certain Pokemon after setting up with Quiver Dance and boosted by Life Orb. (Ex. Mega Kangaskhan, Kyurem-Black, Hoopa-Unbound, etc.)
I already suggested that Flamethrower can replace Fire Blast for better accuracy.
I'm sure about the usefulness of Firium Z.

[SET COMMENTS]
  • the bullet points should be moved to reflect the new order of the moves in the main set
  • your bullet point on bug buzz is a bit missleading; bug buzz doesn't hit dragon-types super effectively, the two examples of dragon-types you gave have secondary rulings that cause this to be so. edit that
Fine, I'll rephrase it after the QC team say something about it. Still, there are really only 5 Dragons that are used in this metagame: Kingdra (for Rain), Latios, Hydreigon, Kyurem-Black, and Salamence-Mega. Bug Buzz is Super Effective against 2 of these Dragons, Neutrally Effective against 2 of these Dragons, and resisted only by 1. I never said that it hits all Dragon-types Super Effectively, but rather that it "helps eliminate some Dragon-types such as Hydreigon and Latios". I was very specific about that. And the point was that it hits some Dragon-types and bulky Psychic-types such as Cresselia and Necrozma, a move that is certainly worth considering to check such threats.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
  • add focus sash to oo
  • remove tailwind from the paralysis, tailwind, and trick room checks and counters tag, because volcarona can often times acquire enough boosts to outspeed opponents under tailwind, and tailwind can also often be stalled out
:toast:
No, I will not add Focus Sash as it doesn't help in OHKO'ing relevant Pokemon. And I won't note anything about Charcoal or Flame Plate either as Life Orb certainly does a better job of making sure that opposing Pokemon does not hit it back.

With Life Orb:
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Volcarona Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-Therian: 305-360 (95.6 - 112.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 108 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 430-508 (102.8 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 16+ SpD Cresselia: 463-549 (104.2 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

With Charcoal:
+1 252+ SpA Flame Plate Volcarona Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-Therian: 283-334 (88.7 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Charcoal Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 108 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 399-469 (95.4 - 112.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 16+ SpD Cresselia: 356-422 (80.1 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Everyone knows that Inferno Overdrive is a great Nuke, so I may switch Firium Z and Lum Berry's order. In my opinion, Lum Berry is the last of any item choice as it helps Volcarona to not be paralyzed or Swagger'ed. Focus Sash is not needed if the user have the right partners in the team, and certainly doesn't help Volcarona as much in comparison to the other three items.

Tailwind is certainly a threat for Volcarona. While Quiver Dance boost Volcarona's speed by +1, Tailwind temporarily boosts the opposing Pokemon's speed by +2. And I seriously doubt that you can stall out for 3 turns without any damage (excluding the probability of having Jirachi in your team).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One really small detail is that Mega Swampert isn't actually in the meta right now, so I wouldn't use that as an example of a Giga Drain target.
Yeah, I will make that change.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the feedback.

Edit: Changes are made. QC team I'm ready for your feedback.

Last edited:
I don't think I was unnecessarily elaborate, but rather very specific in what Volcarona can accomplish. If there are places that doesn't make sense, then please point it out.
Ok I'm not saying it has to be perfect or anything, but you seriously ought to re-read your analysis before submitting it for QC. I'm not going to do some extensive check or anything but I'll show you what I'm talking about.
thus allowing it to eliminate a great portion of the metagame that are not resistance to its STAB
Should be "resistant", not "resistance".
With a defensive typing of 85 HP / 65 Def / SpD 105, it is physically fragile, yet specially durable after a boost from Quiver Dance
Do you mean "especially durable" or "Specially durable" (meaning has high Special Defense)?
Heat Wave is the preferred STAB move. Quiver Dance is recommended to have a higher chance in eliminating opposing Pokemon through spread damage, most notably against Landorus-Therian with Life Orb boost.
Do you mean Heat Wave is recommended, or Quiver Dance let's you eliminate more opponents?

These types of errors are pervasive throughout your analysis, and need to be fixed so it's at least somewhat readable. Remember: it's better to be short and sweet than sound sophisticated but make no sense.
I don't think I'm overselling Volcarona. It is certainly a huge threat after it sets up with Quiver Dance. However, it isn't a Pokemon that typically needs to be considered checking when building a team as it is naturally done so due to the popularity of Charizard-Mega-Y and Heatran. I have already typed its drawbacks.
I'm not saying Volcarona is bad, but like it was tier 2 last gen and I don't think anything has changed from last gen to this gen in terms of its viability. All Pokemon have their flaws; if you look at previous analyses from last gen you'll see their Overviews also list their weaknesses (even for meta defining Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Kangaskhan). The only flaws you mention in the Overview are that it gets walled by Heatran and has "limited coverage". You should definitely elaborate a bit more and add some more of its flaws.
There is no way Fire Blast will be removed as it is a staple for OHKO'ing certain Pokemon after setting up with Quiver Dance and boosted by Life Orb. (Ex. Mega Kangaskhan, Kyurem-Black, Hoopa-Unbound, etc.)
I already suggested that Flamethrower can replace Fire Blast for better accuracy.
I'm sure about the usefulness of Firium Z.
- I didn't say remove Fire Blast completely, I said maybe move it to OO. You've got to ask yourself, "why would I want to KO one Pokemon if I could be KOing two with Heat Wave?" I'm not saying Fire Blast is bad, it's just that Heat Wave is so damn good.
- If Fire Blast stays you still need to mention it has shaky accuracy in the Move Descriptions themselves. It's important that unfamiliar players know the risk of picking an inaccurate move.
- Why I'm not so keen on Firium Z is because a) it is one time use b) Life Orb is much more consistent over more turns because of the higher damage output, and c) a lot of teams will already be running Z Moves on a different Pokemon, so it can be slightly conflicting. I probably should have explained that in my first post, sorry about that.
No, I will not add Focus Sash as it doesn't help in OHKO'ing relevant Pokemon. And I won't note anything about Charcoal or Flame Plate either as Life Orb certainly does a better job of making sure that opposing Pokemon does not hit it back.

With Life Orb:
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Volcarona Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-Therian: 305-360 (95.6 - 112.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 108 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 430-508 (102.8 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 16+ SpD Cresselia: 463-549 (104.2 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

With Charcoal:
+1 252+ SpA Flame Plate Volcarona Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-Therian: 283-334 (88.7 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Charcoal Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 108 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 399-469 (95.4 - 112.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 16+ SpD Cresselia: 356-422 (80.1 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Everyone knows that Inferno Overdrive is a great Nuke, so I may switch Firium Z and Lum Berry's order. In my opinion, Lum Berry is the last of any item choice as it helps Volcarona to not be paralyzed or Swagger'ed. Focus Sash is not needed if the user have the right partners in the team, and certainly doesn't help Volcarona as much in comparison to the other three items.

Tailwind is certainly a threat for Volcarona. While Quiver Dance boost Volcarona's speed by +1, Tailwind temporarily boosts the opposing Pokemon's speed by +2. And I seriously doubt that you can stall out for 3 turns without any damage (excluding the probability of having Jirachi in your team).
- Yeah I know Focus Sash isn't the best choice of item for Volcarona, that's why I suggested it for OO. Sash lets you take a big hit, set up a QD, then hit back hard. Imo it should definitely have a spot in OO cause it allows you to set up reliably, if nothing else.
- I never mentioned Charcoal or Flame Plate so ??? (furthermore those examples are really bad because they prove nothing besides that you 2HKO Cresselia with Flame Plate/Charcoal, who you typically beat 1v1 with Quiver Dance anyways)
- Yes I know what Tailwind does lol. What I meant by Tailwind can be stalled out is that you can easily play around it; Tailwind is one of the weaker forms of speed control because it loses to all others (i.e. Thunder Wave, Trick Room, etc.) and with a combination of defensive switching and Protect, you can waste away your opponents turns of Tailwind. That on top of the fact that Quiver Dance boosts Volcarona's speed makes me inclined to say that Tailwind is not a reliable check to Volcarona.

I hope this clears up any of your doubt.

Ok I'm not saying it has to be perfect or anything, but you seriously ought to re-read your analysis before submitting it for QC. I'm not going to do some extensive check or anything but I'll show you what I'm talking about.

Should be "resistant", not "resistance".

Do you mean "especially durable" or "Specially durable" (meaning has high Special Defense)?

Do you mean Heat Wave is recommended, or Quiver Dance let's you eliminate more opponents?

These types of errors are pervasive throughout your analysis, and need to be fixed so it's at least somewhat readable. Remember: it's better to be short and sweet than sound sophisticated but make no sense.

I'm not saying Volcarona is bad, but like it was tier 2 last gen and I don't think anything has changed from last gen to this gen in terms of its viability. All Pokemon have their flaws; if you look at previous analyses from last gen you'll see their Overviews also list their weaknesses (even for meta defining Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Kangaskhan). The only flaws you mention in the Overview are that it gets walled by Heatran and has "limited coverage". You should definitely elaborate a bit more and add some more of its flaws.

- I didn't say remove Fire Blast completely, I said maybe move it to OO. You've got to ask yourself, "why would I want to KO one Pokemon if I could be KOing two with Heat Wave?" I'm not saying Fire Blast is bad, it's just that Heat Wave is so damn good.
- If Fire Blast stays you still need to mention it has shaky accuracy in the Move Descriptions themselves. It's important that unfamiliar players know the risk of picking an inaccurate move.
- Why I'm not so keen on Firium Z is because a) it is one time use b) Life Orb is much more consistent over more turns because of the higher damage output, and c) a lot of teams will already be running Z Moves on a different Pokemon, so it can be slightly conflicting. I probably should have explained that in my first post, sorry about that.

- Yeah I know Focus Sash isn't the best choice of item for Volcarona, that's why I suggested it for OO. Sash lets you take a big hit, set up a QD, then hit back hard. Imo it should definitely have a spot in OO cause it allows you to set up reliably, if nothing else.
- I never mentioned Charcoal or Flame Plate so ??? (furthermore those examples are really bad because they prove nothing besides that you 2HKO Cresselia with Flame Plate/Charcoal, who you typically beat 1v1 with Quiver Dance anyways)
- Yes I know what Tailwind does lol. What I meant by Tailwind can be stalled out is that you can easily play around it; Tailwind is one of the weaker forms of speed control because it loses to all others (i.e. Thunder Wave, Trick Room, etc.) and with a combination of defensive switching and Protect, you can waste away your opponents turns of Tailwind. That on top of the fact that Quiver Dance boosts Volcarona's speed makes me inclined to say that Tailwind is not a reliable check to Volcarona.

I hope this clears up any of your doubt.
I already read my analysis a bunch of a times, but I admit that I'm not the best of catching my own errors. Still, thanks for clarifying what you were trying to point out. Yes, I meant "specially durable", meaning it has high Special Defense. And I said "Heat Wave is preferred STAB move." Quiver Dance is just "recommended to" be used " to have a higher chance in eliminating opposing Pokemon through" Heat Wave's "spread damage." I'm not quite sure how you assumed it one or the other. Nevertheless, I will try to correct these errors whenever I have the time.

I was also quite clear that it was "physically fragile" and that it has a "fighting chance against Ground, Rock, Water, and some Dragon-types," meaning that you can assume that Volcarona will have a hard time against such types. The flaws that I mentioned in the Overview is not only that of "being walled by Heatran" and having "limited coverage".

Also, Heat Wave (+1) doesn't meet the same damage output as Fire Blast (+1). You cannot simply think that Heat Wave (+1) can KO both opposing Pokemon as easily as Fire Blast can do to one. The benefits of using Fire Blast also includes avoiding Wide Guard for a teams that doesn't have much answers against it.

Yes, I agree that Life Orb is the best item is for Volcarona, but Firium Z is still undoubtedly a fantastic item that Volcarona may use. Yes, a lot of teams may have other Z-moves in their teams, but it's up to the strategist/player to know which one s/he will use for the present match; they will not conflict each other. Also, most would agree that "its one time use" is definitely worth using due to Inferno Overdrive's sheer power.

Yeah, you didn't mention anything about Charcoal or Flame Plate. I just did so in case someone brings it up. The examples proves a lot of things since not KO'ing your targets can immediately change the outcome of a battle. For example, not KO'ing Cresselia can leave you with a devastating effect of having to endure 5 turns of Trick Room. You also cannot assume Doubles metagame with 1v1 circumstances. In reality, they're more complex of a situation.

Tailwind is by all means not a weak form of speed control. If you want to switch out your already boosted Volcarona, then go ahead. Still, your chances of using Protect for three turns or even two turns are slim. And under Tailwind, I seriously doubt the opponent will let Volcarona get another boost from Quiver Dance.

Focus Sash is not mentioned in the original XY analysis for a good reason, but I will note it if more people supports it. Anyways, thanks for your concern and feedback. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Mence is the main target for OO HP Ice. Not Lando. Lando at least really, really hates the +1 Heat Wave (chance to ohko 0 bulk lando). Mence shrugs it off.

Since you mentioned tailwind, you could do a rage powder tw support set, but its significantly less viable, so check with the qc team first. I'm going to guess you can at least mention it in oo tho

• Slash HP Ice after Giga and before Buzz. It's definitely more viable than bug buzz atm unless you really need to hit... TTar or Necrozma?? HP Ice hits the more relevant Dragons while being serviceable against stuff that you mentioned like Latios and Hydreigon. Honestly I'd like to see Buzz off the main set but I'd rather have another QC member's opinion before going through with that.
  • Timid should be the slash before Modest due to the rise of Scarf Gene and Jolly Scarf Lando
  • Mention the inaccuracy of both of Volcarona's best Fire STABs in the moves section somewhere
  • Give examples of contact attackers that threaten Volcarona when describing Flame Body
  • Mega Kangaskhan is still a solid partner for Volc even though it's less viable, as Fake Out support is still great + seismic can weaken checks early game
  • In Checks and Counters, replace the mention of Rhyperior with Tyranitar, as Rhyp doesn't check Giga Drain variants (the primary slash) and is not really a relevant Pokemon
  • Definitely mention "before a Quiver Dance" under the Flying-type section, and emphasize that these Pokemon threaten it while setting up instead of after

good stuff 1/3 when implemented

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Bug Buzz has the pretty enormous benefit of hitting through subs so I wouldn't want it off the main set

• Slash HP Ice after Giga and before Buzz. It's definitely more viable than bug buzz atm unless you really need to hit... TTar or Necrozma?? HP Ice hits the more relevant Dragons while being serviceable against stuff that you mentioned like Latios and Hydreigon. Honestly I'd like to see Buzz off the main set but I'd rather have another QC member's opinion before going through with that.
  • Timid should be the slash before Modest due to the rise of Scarf Gene and Jolly Scarf Lando
  • Mention the inaccuracy of both of Volcarona's best Fire STABs in the moves section somewhere
  • Give examples of contact attackers that threaten Volcarona when describing Flame Body
  • Mega Kangaskhan is still a solid partner for Volc even though it's less viable, as Fake Out support is still great + seismic can weaken checks early game
  • In Checks and Counters, replace the mention of Rhyperior with Tyranitar, as Rhyp doesn't check Giga Drain variants (the primary slash) and is not really a relevant Pokemon
  • Definitely mention "before a Quiver Dance" under the Flying-type section, and emphasize that these Pokemon threaten it while setting up instead of after
good stuff 1/3 when implemented
Bug Buzz has the pretty enormous benefit of hitting through subs so I wouldn't want it off the main set
I've implemented these information/suggestions.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I also agree with nadando... Volcarona is a lethal sweeper, and you don't want to lose ur win con to a Fire Blast miss. Heat Wave still misses, too, obviously, but part of Volcaron's success is its ability to hit both opponents at once with a boosted spread move. Overall the damage output of Heat Wave is larger than Fire Blast. Wide Guard exists, but it is few and far between, and Firium Z can bypass Wide Guard and offer Volcarona the nuke option it needs to OHKO the threats you mentioned without foregoing the spread advantage. I think the KOs you mentioned are missed if we change Timid as its primary nature anyway. Volcarona should really be used as a mid- late-game sweeper when the opposing team is sufficiently weakened for a clean sweep. Volcarona shouldn't really be needing to wallbreak with Fire Blast but mopping up with Heat Waves.

basically Fire Blast should be unslashed.

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Before you write this up, get your Overview whipped into shape because right now it's iffy at best. Take a look at the C&C Guide for some dos and donts, and try to avoid lazy writing mistakes like calling stats typing or shifting syntax mid-sentence.

Also, change the set to:
name: Quiver Dance Sweeper
move 1: Heat Wave
move 2: Hidden Power Ice / Giga Drain
move 3: Quiver Dance
move 4: Protect
item: Firium Z / Life Orb
ability: Flame Body
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Fire Blast is high OO since you have Firium Z to get around Wide Guard anyway and spread damage is super important. Bug Buzz can keep a Moves mention, Lum Berry is OO since nothing uses TWave anymore and sleep is also far less prevalent.

Make those fixes and then I'll go over the rest.

QC Reject 1/2

I'm sorry man, but this analysis is not up to Smogon's standards and is lacking in multiple areas. The overview is inadequate, and the write up is riddled with awkward usage and syntax which makes it rather difficult to read. Generally, the analysis is poor, and frankly it'd be easier for me to rewrite the entire analysis than to go through and correct all its mistakes. If you'd like to finish the analysis, you need to give it a solid read and then fix it up. Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)