Volt-Turn to Victory

Introduction
This team had some surprising origins and it's been through a lot of revisions, but I think it's reached the point where I would like to post the team and ask for you guys to rate it. In its current shape, it's starting to resemble a Volt-turn offensive team, and I feel that this suits my playing style of begin able to heavily influence the momentum of the game.

The Team at a Glace

In depth

Scizor @ Choice Band
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

This guy is the most used pokemon and for a reason. His typing is nice to absorb random attacks that I don't want other pokemont taking (my team is quite frail, so he takes Outrages and random Earthquakes). His immunity to Toxic Spikes is pretty useful and also the fact that he's neutral to SR.

Bullet Punch and U-turn are the 2 most used moves with the former being used as his primary attack and to revenge kill. The latter is used pretty often when I want to damage the opponent but also think they might switch. It lets me switch to a counter right after I hit the switch-in for some damage. Pursuit is only there to catch Starmie (who's being used quite a bit lately as an offensive spinner). Superpower is there because I can't think of anything else to put in its place, (as I can simply u-turn to Darmanitan against steels) but hits Ferrothorn moderately hard.

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
EV's: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SpDef
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sheer Force
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Darmanitan is the second part of my Volt-turn core. With an Adamant nature and Sheer Force, Flare Blitz hits for ridiculous damage. Once a dedicated physical wall is taken out, most teams don't have an answer for Flare Blitz and simply have to sac a pokemon. U-turn is used a lot in order to ease prediction on switches and I'd rather use it over Flare Blitz when given the option since it is without recoil. Rock Slide hits flyings and Superpower is there for Rock types, though I rarely use these two moves.

His typing leaves him vulnerable to all hazards and he's weak to Stealth Rock, which makes switching him in a pain if I don't have an opportunity to clear the rocks with Starmie. Also, he takes a lot from Flare Biltz, so if I have to conserve him (Ferrothorn is a huge pain without him), all he can really do is U-turn a lot (but isn't that the point of the team?). While really strong against Sun teams, against rain teams he's kind of lack-luster.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
EV's: 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def (0 Atk means less confusion damage)
Nature: Timid
Ability: Volt Absorb
- Volt Absorb
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

Both Scizor and Darmanitan are physical attackers, so I had to include a special attacker. Jolteon is a fast attacker, even with only the Choice Specs. Volt Absorb allows me to switch Jolteon out and is used a lot early game. However, evil ground types exist that are immune to Volt Absorb. Luckily, a lot of teams use Landorus (both Therian and normal) or Gliscor as their first switch into Jolteon. Hidden Power [Ice] obliterates them and I'm pretty good at predicting a switch into them. Jolteon also outspeeds Thunderus-T and OHKOs with Hidden Power Ice. Once they're gone, Thunderbolt can be spammed for heavy damage. Shadow Ball is a decent move for coverage and is primarily used when other Jolteons are at low HP in order to KO them (it's also proved useful against the recent Shedinja craze).

Jolteon is very frail, however. Scizor's Bullet Punch deals 40~ish% to Jolteon and I try not to leave it in on any attack. Against most teams, Jolteon proves invaluable late-game, so if I plan to save it, I have to avoid damage. Of course this means someone else has to take attacks and Scizor is often left with the short end of the stick. I'm considering Rotom-W either at a replacement of Jolteon or (more likely) as a replacement for another pokemon in order to take hits. It would also enable me to hit Donphan with STAB Hydro Pump, as Donphan is pretty annoying against this team.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
EV's: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SpDef
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Moxie
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Salamence is my revenge killer. He was added to this team mainly because I really hate Volcarona. He outspeeds +1 Volcarona and OHKOs with Rock Slide. Dragon Claw is used to revenge kill (Outrage locks me in), but is pretty weak. Outrage is used lategame once Steel types have been knocked out. Earthquake deals decent damage to Metagross and Jirachi but can't touch Ferrothorn, who just sits around and poops on this team if Darmanitan is dead.

Of all the members on my team, I find Salamence the least useful as he's only used when 1) Volcarona rears her ugly head, 2) Toxic Spikes or Spikes are on the field and I can't risk Starmie or 3) Someone dies and I want vengeance. Moxie helps for the snowball effect lategame, but so far it hasn't made too much of an impact. I don't know if Intimidate would work better though.

Deoxys-D @ Red Card
EV's: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Speed
IV's: 0 Atk (Less confusion damage)
Ability: Pressure
- Magic Coat
- Taunt
- Stealth Rocks
- Spikes

An offensive teams finds hazards helpful to punish switches and mine is no exception. Spike-Stacking (laying down both Stealth Rock and Spikes) is pretty useful and Deoxys can usually get Rocks up with 1-2 layers of spikes. Magic Coat and Taunt are used to win lead wars and to ease Starmie's burden.

Since a lot of teams now carry spinners, I tend to not send Deoxys out until the opponents spinner dies. Unfortunately, this sometimes means that Deoxys ends up being a dead weight since U-turning to it completely kills momentum. When the opponent doesn't have a spinner, I send Deoxys out as my lead. The Red Card is an interesting item that enables me to Spike-Stack while sweepers are setting up as long as they can't OHKO me. It's also proved a useful stop against rampaging sweepers (but Deoxys becomes too weak to lay hazards). Either way, Deoxys usually dies doing its job.

Starmie @ Expert Belt
EV's: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
IV's: 0 Atk
Ability: Natural Cure
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Thunderbolt

Starmie is the most recent addition to the team, but also one of the most needed. This team simply required Rapid Spin support, which Starmie provides with the added benefit of maintaining an offensive presence. Ice Beam outspeeds and OHKOs Swords Dance Garchomp and Surf is a nifty STAB move. Thunderbolt completes the combo, but of all the moves, I'd be most willing to replace it with Recover to preserve Starmie's longevity. Starmie has the Expert Belt because I found that the recoil of the Life Orb off-putting.

Starmie can't Volt-turn, but because of Rapid Spin, can spin quickly and then switch back. Since Starmie isn't Chansey, I use it when the opponent can't set hazards back up (i.e. their setter is dead). As mentioned before, I'm considering Recover in order to maximize Starmie's life, but right now it isn't too much of an issue.

Comments
- I feel that Salamence should be switched to another Volt-turn pokemon to better preserve momentum. I was thinking Choice Scarf Landorus, who can Stone Edge Volcarona. However, this makes my team too physically oriented.

- As mentioned before, Superpower on Scizor and Darmanitan aren't used too much and I'm considering Recover on Starmie.

Coming Soon

Hornet (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Crystal (Starmie) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Surf

ET (Deoxys-Defense) @ Red Card
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Magic Coat
- Taunt

Spike (Jolteon) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Rawr (Salamence) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage

Diablo (Darmanitan) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hello HackerKing, nice team.​

This looks like an unorthodox Volt-Turn team, so I'll give you props for being creative somewhat. I see some flaws that this team has, so, hopefully my rate can help this team improve the iron out said flaws. With that said, let's get to the rate. Alright, first off, I would like to suggest replacing Jolteon with a Choice Scarf Rotom-W in place of it. Choice Scarf Rotom-W is a staple for Volt-Turn teams, because it can keep up the offensive momentum along with Choice Band Scizor, which is always nice. Moving forward, since you have 2 SR weak mons, and you're going to be switching around a lot with this team, I suggest running a Forretress in place of your current choice of Starmie. Forretress fits on this team excellently, as it has fantastic synergy with Rotom-W, and it can use Volt Switch itself to keep the momentum going, also, it provides that always vital Rapid Spin support that Volt Turn needs to function correctly. Now some nitpicking. I would suggest throwing those 4 Special Defensive EV's into Special Attack on Salamence, use a Naive Nature and replace Rock Slide with Fire Blast. Fire Blast hits the steel types that Salamence usually has trouble with. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope my advice helped. Have fun and good luck with your team!

Rotom @ Choice Scarf Lv. 100 -- Levitate​

Nature: Timid - EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick
- Volt Switch​

Forretress @ Leftovers Lv. 100 -- Sturdy​

Nature: Relaxed - EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef

- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes​
- Volt Switch

• Jolteon
    ------------------------> Choice Scarf Rotom-W
  • Starmie
    -----------------------> Forretress
  • Salamence
    :​
  • 4 Special Defense EV's -> 4 Special Attack EV's​
  • Jolly Nature -> Naive Nature​
  • Rock Slide -> Fire Blast​

~Dr Ciel~ (The doctor is OUT)

Thanks for the rate!

I'll test out Forretress and Rotom-W and see how they work. If Foretress can set up Spikes, I may switch Deoxys-D for a more offensive Volt-turner that can set up Stealth Rock.

As for Salamence, Rock Slide is only there for Volcarona. While it would help against steels, Volcarona is a big threat to the team. I'll try it out and see how it fits.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hi

To be honest, I don't think that Deoxys-D is the best fit for your team. Your team has a lot of issues stopping common spinners, especially Tentacruel, but also offensive Starmie in Rain. A lot of your Pokemon are very easy switch in opportunities for Tentacruel and not much on your team can OHKO it, and the Protect versions will just scout your Choiced Pokemon making it very easy to switch into. While Scizor can just Pursuit Starmie, the offensive variations in Rain will cleanly OHKO it with Hydro Pump, meaning that Scizor can't do its job, and foiling your plans. You say that when you see your opponent has a spinner, you just don't send Deoxys-D in, but that's not how Deoxys-D is meant to be played. It's not really an effective Pokemon outside of the very few first turns of the battle. There are other good offensive leads that will be effective even if the opponent has a spinner, because they can put a lot of offensive pressure as well as setting up Stealth Rock. Garchomp and Terrakion are the best, and I think that Garchomp would be an excellent fit for your team. It can set up Stealth Rock and immediately put pressure on the opponent with its STABs. You already have a spinner so I don't think Terrakion's ability to stop other SR leads would be that useful, although you may want to try it too.

There are also some threats that could really do a lot of damage to your team. The main ones I see are offensive Water types powered up by Rain, and the second is Rock Polish Landorus-I. Landorus-I can easily set up on Jolteon locked into an Electric move, and then proceed to sweep your team cleanly using a combination of Earth Power and Hidden Power Ice. Whenever Landorus manages to get a boost, your chances to lose immediately are very high, barring something like a Bullet Punch crit. As for the Water types, both of your Water resists are extremely frail and will take a ridiculous amount of damage from boosted Water moves, meaning that you will often lose a Pokemon when they switch in. Honestly, I don't think Darmanitan is a very good Pokemon for your team. Since you carry no weather, every time the opponent brings Rain, Darmanitan will be fairly useless. It's also weak to Stealth Rock and part of your Voltturn chain so you will have to lose momentum very often, going to Starmie spinning the rocks away, for Darmanitan to even work. It's going to take a lot of residual damage which is fairly bad with all the priority in the metagame nowadays. I think that you could replace it with a Latios. You don't need all of your Pokemon to be part of your Voltturn chain, 2 is usually enough if your Pokemon are strong enough. Latios is able to take Water hits moderately well and heal back the damage with Recover, as well as being an alright check to Landorus-I. Since this is an offensive team, I think that simply checking those threats will be fine and Latios does that all right, while also having devastating power, fitting the offensive spirit pretty well.

Here are the sets you should use:

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Rough Skin
Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~Outrage
~Earthquake
~Swords Dance
~Stealth Rock

Latios @ Life Orb
Levitate
Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~Draco Meteor
~Psyshock
~Surf
~Recover

Good luck!

After a bunch of testing, I have decided to use Dr. Ciel's suggestion to add in Forretress and Rotom-W. I am still considering Fire Blast over Rock Slide, but am not sure right now.

This of course means I'm less dependent on Deoxys-D to set up spikes. Adding in Garchomp (suggested by Jirachi) was a nice choice, as his late-game presence is very nice.

Thanks for all the rates!
I'm probably not going to update this RMT, so thanks again for all your help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)