Vullaby (Placeholder)

metsrule158

Don't disturb him on his break.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Originally posted by TheImmortalBeat. The finishing changes will be made soon. working with Paradoxus on this one.

[Overview]

<p>With fantastic defensive stats and a decent amount of HP, Vullaby makes an good addition to any Little Cup team. Its offensive stats are somewhat low, but it has a good amount of Speed and its typing gives it two STAB attacks, which would cover it up easily. Its movepool is great, varying from Physical, Special, and it receives some boosting moves as well. Seeing how many good things it has going for it, Vullaby can be put on almost any team, and it could be used in many different ways.</p>

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Toxic
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Roost
move 4: Knock Off/ Whirlwind/ Hidden Power Fire
item: Eviolite
ability: Big Pecks
nature: Impish
EVs: 36 Hp/ 236 Def / 236 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> Vullaby makes for a nearly impenetrable wall, on both the physical and special side, and this set attempts to make the best use of his massive defenses. The EVs are poured into both defenses in order to max them out, with the remainder going to Hp in order to add a bit more bulk. If running Hidden Power Fire, an IV spread with 30 Atk/SpA/Spd is necessary. Roost is a reliable form of recovery and can be very annoying when matched with Toxic and Knock Off. Taunt shuts down boosting sweepers and entry hazard users which try to set-up on Vullaby</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> Vullaby has very solid defensive stats, reaching 23/18/16 with the given stats which means 23/27/24 factoring in Eviolite. Hidden Power Fighting is an option over HP Fire in order to OHKO Pawniard, although HP Fire still snags the 2HKO and hits the more popular Ferroseed much harder. Big Pecks is the preferred ability here as any weather damage can be Roosted off and any decrease in Vullaby’s defenses undermines the purpose of this set.</p>

<p>This set functions best in long matches, spreading Toxic among your opponent’s pokemon, knocking off items and occasionally nabbing a KO off toxic damage . Because of the switches it can force, Vullaby greatly appreciates entry hazard support. A set running Whirlwind can capitalize on this even further. This set has a dreadful weakness to Taunt coming off anything that resists Fire, so magic bounce Natu makes an excellent partner, bouncing their Taunt right back at them and safely U-Turning back to Vullaby.</p>

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Air Slash
move 4: Roost
ability: Overcoat
nature: Timid/ Modest
EVs: 36 Hp/ 236 SpA / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes advantage of Vullaby’s best boosting move, giving it the power it needs to potentially sweep. The idea is to switch in on something that Vullaby can scare off, and then Nasty Plot on the switch. The EVs here are the standard of most sweepers, with special attack and speed maxed out. The remaining EVs go into Hp in order to help ward off strong priority attacks. Timid grants some much needed speed, while Modest maxes out the damage coming of Vullaby's duel STAB attacks. Air Slash has excellent coverage in LC when paired with Dark Pulse and both moves have the handy chance of flinching the opponent. Roost serves again as a reliable form of recovery.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With the a Timid nature and the given EVs, Vullaby hits a daunting 28 SpA after one Nasty Plot. A Timid nature and maximum Speed EVs gives Vullaby 16 Speed, putting it above many unboosted common threats, such as Scraggy before a Dragon Dance. Eviolite is a must here, as it provides the bulk necessary to pull off a Roost when necessary. Overcoat is chosen over Big Pecks in order to prevent sandstorm from cutting short your sweep.</p>

<p> Wynaut makes a good partner for this set, as he can do what Wynaut does best and give your Vullaby a free turn or two to Nasty Plot safely. This set can have trouble dealing with Steel types, who resist both STAB attacks, so Vullaby appreciates Pokemon like Magnemite who can trap and eliminate them beforehand.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Punishment
move 3: U-Turn
move 4: Hidden Power Fire
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
EVs: 36 Hp/ 240 Atk / 200 Spe
IVs: 31 hp/ 30 Atk/ 31 Def/ 30 SpA/ 31 SpD/ 30 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a Choice Scarf equipped Vullaby becomes an excellent revenge killer for some of the most prominent sweepers in the LC Meta. The EVs follow the same pattern as the Nasty Plot set, except utilizing attack over special attack. Since this set is running Hidden Power Fire, an IV spread with 30 Atk/SpA/Spd is necessary. A Jolly nature is necessary here over Adamant in order to maximize speed. Brave Bird OHKOs Dragon Dance Scraggy, as well as taking a large chunk out of anything that doesn’t resist it. Punishment KOs any sweeper brave enough to boost more than once, while U-Turn allows Vullaby to scout for potential counters. Hidden Power Fire is used to deal with the steels that would otherwise wall this set, most notably Ferroseed.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With maximum Speed and a Jolly nature Vullaby reaches 16 Speed, allowing a Scarfed Set to outrun a +1 Scraggy. Attack is maximized, and the remaining EVs are placed in Hp to reduce fear of strong priority moves. It should be noted that Choice Scarf Chinchou ties with this set and can OHKO with STAB Thunderbolt.</p>

<p>This set is specifically made for revenge killing Scraggy, so a team that struggles with the lizard appreciates this set greatly. Unfortunately Vullaby has a dreadful fear of Chinchou, so teammates who can handle it are needed. Luckily, the perfect counter to Choice Scarf Chinchou was created in Hone Claws Diglett. He can switch into the choiced Thunderbolt aimed at Vullaby and proceed to go +6/ +6 behind a substitute while your opponent quivers in fear. This Vullaby also serves as an excellent ghostbuster, as any dark move with STAB behind it can easily OHKO Gastly.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Vullaby doesn’t have many options other than those provided, owing to its rather shallow movepool. Foul Play is nearly useless in LC, and the decline of Oran Berries makes Pluck seem very weak in comparison to Brave Bird. Mean Look, Taunt, and Toxic can make a good trapping set, but it's very situational.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Steel-types wall any Vullaby without Hidden Power Fire, as they resist both STABs and are immune to Toxic, so Magnemite makes for an excellent match. Magnemite also has nice type synergy with Vullaby. Magnemite laughs in the face of the Rock, Electric, and Ice attacks that threaten to knock Vullaby out of the sky, while Vullaby is immune to any ground type attacks that could be aimed at your Magnemite if it doesn’t run Magnet Rise. Poison-types are also immune to Toxic and resist U-turn, but can have trouble countering the Choice Scarf set effectively due to the damage potential of an neutral Brave Bird. Diglett also pairs well with Vullaby if your team fears Chinchou. Hone Claws Diglett can switch into the choiced Thunderbolt aimed at Vullaby and proceed to go +6/ +6 behind a substitute while your opponent quivers in fear.</p>

OK, since I'm helping him out with this, I will be editing in QC/GP checks, so i need the right to edit.

Im not really sure about the NP set right now, but thats it.

Why is the first set Impish if HP Fire is slashed?

Maybe slash Air Slash / Dark Pulse with HP Fire on the NP set? HP Fire leaves you open to just Houndour, although he's pretty common. +2 Dark Pulse definitely KOS after SR, since it's frail as hell. Air Slash and HP Fire leave you vulnerable to rock-types, but Dwebble gets slashed anyway, so the only problem is Omanyte. Dark/Flying, by contrast, leaves you walled by Steels, and getting screens set up by Bronzor or just an SD from Komatana can wreck teams.

On the writeup, change all the "HP Fire" into "Hidden Power Fire", because it's more formal and shit.

Diglett also pairs well with Vullaby if your team fears Chinchou. Hone Claws Diglett can switch into the choiced Thunderbolt aimed at Vullaby and proceed to go +6/ +6 behind a substitute while your opponent quivers in fear.</p>
This part goes into AC. Make a new sentence for Chinchou on how it resists Flying and kicks ass with Thunderbolt.

Dwebble can also fuck up your shit with STAB Rock Blast if you try Taunting.

Munchlax does p well against special sets.

metsrule158

Don't disturb him on his break.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, well, I only updated the overview so... yeah. I will get all of the changes by Saturday afternoon probably. Otherwise Sunday.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Toxic
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Roost
move 4: Knock Off/ Whirlwind/ Hidden Power Fire
ability: Big Pecks
nature: Impish
EVs: 36 Hp/ 236 Def / 236 SpD
Out of curiosity, which move/ability that lowers defense is used competitively? I think Overcoat is best as sand is extremely common.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Out of curiosity, which move/ability that lowers defense is used competitively? I think Overcoat is best as sand is extremely common.
This. Overcoat should be mentioned on all three sets, as there are very few Defense lowering pokes these days in comparison to Snover and Hippopotas. Also, more and more people have been using the scarf set on sandstorm teams, so Overcoat should be mentioned there as well.

You should probably mention the synergy of Swagger and Punishment in Other Options.

Other than that this looks good, but personally I think the Choice Scarf set is more viable than the Nasty Plot one.

I don't think nasty plot is good enough for it's own set. There are so many special sweepers in LC, and vullaby lacks the speed to sweep, AND it needs to set up, and if vullaby is out sped than it will be hit twice before it actually has a chance to attack. (shown here, the example enemy is charmander) I'm not gonna go into speed or damage calculations, just saying IF it's out sped.

In sunlight-
Foe charmander used fire blast!
Charmander lost HP due to solar power.
Vullaby used nasty plot!
Charmander used fire blast!
----

Then vullaby attacks. Yes, I know it has eviolite, good defences, blah blah blah. I'm saying it could be risky if you're up against a powerful attacker.

Feel free to prove me wrong with damage calcs.

I don't think nasty plot is good enough for it's own set. There are so many special sweepers in LC, and vullaby lacks the speed to sweep, AND it needs to set up, and if vullaby is out sped than it will be hit twice before it actually has a chance to attack. (shown here, the example enemy is charmander) I'm not gonna go into speed or damage calculations, just saying IF it's out sped.

In sunlight-
Foe charmander used fire blast!
Charmander lost HP due to solar power.
Vullaby used nasty plot!
Charmander used fire blast!
----

Then vullaby attacks. Yes, I know it has eviolite, good defences, blah blah blah. I'm saying it could be risky if you're up against a powerful attacker.

Feel free to prove me wrong with damage calcs.
First of all, Solar Power Charmander is illegal.

Second of all, sun is already set up. In an even situation, which rarely ever happens

Vullaby used Nasty Plot, because it's actually faster!
Charmander used Sunny Day!
Vullaby used Dark Pulse!
Charmander died!

Or.

Vullaby used Nasty Plot!
Charmander used Dragon Dance!
Charmander used Flare Blitz! Vullaby survived because it's really fucking bulky with Eviolite!
Vullaby used Dark Pulse! Charmander died because it's as bulky as a burning paper bag!

Vullaby's bulk, decent and unique typing, Roost, and the mere fact that it HAS Nasty Plot, a very poorly distributed move, are what separate it from other pokemon.

You can lock and move it yourself since you have a badge, just go to thread tools in the upper right hand corner. Don't delete it so someone new can use it for reference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)