move 2: Brave Bird
move 3: Defog
move 4: U-Turn / Roost
item: Berry Juice
ability: Weak Armour
nature: Adamant
evs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Vullaby functions as a fantastic offensive pivot that can threaten the majority of the metagame with it's dual STAB attacks alone. Being one the most powerful Knock Off abusers is incredibly important as it can cripple switchins by removing important items such as Eviolite, Berry Juice, or choiced items. Brave Bird targets Fighting-types such as Farfetch'd-G, Timburr, and Scraggy. Defog enables Vullaby to clear hazards against setters such as Ferroseed and Drilbur. U-Turn lets Vullaby pivot out against checks such as Pawniard, Onix, and Spritzee, providing amazing synergy for it's team due to the amount of swithins it forces. Roost can be used instead to improve Vullaby's sustainability, especially when it constantly switches into Stealth Rock. However, the utility of U-Turn is generally preferred. Weak Armour enables Vullaby to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame after being struck by a physical attack, therefore it is advised to switch Vullaby into resisted physical hits such as Bullet Seed from Ferroseed and Knock Off from opposing Vullaby. However, it is adivsed to prevent Vullaby from taking too much chip damage as it can be worn down rather quickly if not running Roost. Vullaby can function best as a late-game cleaner as well once checks such as Pawniard and Onix are either taken out or significantly weakened. The given EV spread enables Vullaby to hit as hard as possible while also retaining some bulk to help deal with threats such as Ponyta-G, Trapinch, and Drifloon.

A check to Pawniard is necessary, therefore Fighting-types such as Farfetch'd-G and Timburr can be great partners as a result as Vullaby can help deal with Psychic-types in return. Vullaby can also form a great Volturn core with pivots such as Chinchou, as it helps Vullaby deal with Ice-, Electric-, and Rock-types while Vullaby can help check Grass- and Ground-types in return. Hazard setters such as Onix and Ferroseed can help Vullaby break through it's checks more easily, while Onix can help check Electric-, and Rock-types and Ferroseed can help deal with checks such as Spritzee, Chinchou, and Onix. Vullaby also pairs well with other Flying-types such as Wingull, Drifloon, and Rufflet, creating a powerful offensive core that can overwhelm their shared checks.

Last edited:
Just an am-check - implement what you want.

- What does this specific spread accomplish? You say:
The given EV spread enables Vullaby to hit as hard as possible while also retaining some bulk to help deal with threats such as Ponyta-G, Trapinch, and Drifloon.
However, this spread does not enable Vullaby to hit as hard as possible (236 Atk does). Is there a specific calc on Pony-G, Pinch, or Floon that the extra HP helps with? If not, I would strongly suggest the more traditional spread of 236 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe.

- I think Brave Bird probably doesn't need a sentence given that its usage is intuitive; your sentence also would imply that Brave Bird is mainly for Fighting-types, while in reality it chunks most of the tier.

- I would replace the Drilbur and Ferroseed mentions with the point that Vullaby is great at hazard control thanks to its immunity to Toxic Spikes and Sticky Webs.

- I would add on the point about how Vullaby forces switch-ins with the point that Vullaby generates offense pressure by allowing you to pivot around your opponent's defensive core.

- I don't think Roost is a great option on WA Bjuice Vullaby set - Berry Juice already provides you with some recovery and this Vullaby in particular does not like to waste turns getting hit. Heat Wave, on the other hand, could be slashed instead as an option for beating Ferroseed and Pawniard.

- I also think it's better to slash these options with Defog in the case that you have other hazard control, but this might be personal preference.

- I don't think it's necessarily advised to switch Vullaby into Ferroseed and Vullaby just to boost; both can cause you to lose your juice and Ferroseed can just paralyze you instead. Rather, I would make the point that Weak Armor (especially in combination with juice) allows Vullaby to take a hit from faster mons and revenge kill them.

- I'm not sure Vullaby "can function best" as a late-game cleaner; rather, it is capable of this function should Flying resists be gone.

- I don't think a check to Pawniard is necessary so much as a check to Onix is. You can keep the fighters in here for this, but I would REALLY consider adding a mention of synergy with Trapinch due to Trapinch's ability to trap and remove flying resists and facilitate Vullaby's clean up.

- You need a sentence on Vullaby's checks - Onix, Pawniard, Chinchou, etc.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)