Washing dishes with hot or cold water

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Today I was washing dishes with cold water (our boiler is broken but I also just like how cold water feels). My mum entered the room, reminded me the boiler was broken and implied I should leave the dishes until later.

While she didn't say it directly, it was implied I should be using hot water, which I know people usually do, but does it actually matter?

A quick Google search gives mixed results, some saying hot water is better for killing bacteria while others saying it doesn't make much difference.

What do you think? And do you have any scientific evidence to back up your perspective?

This is really bothering me...

i've literally always washed em cold, didn't know that people washed em hot till i had to fill up something while my mom was doing the dishes and realized it was warm lmao. i guess if hot water kills more bacteria it's objectively better, but... just do what you want and let the dish soap do its job imo

Albatross

Loosely Resembling Some Variety Of Bird
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributor
Jesus god fucking christ you sick fucking incel what the fuck do you mean you've only ever used cold water. have you ever tried washing butter off a plate, bowl or any other kind of dish with cold ass water?????? Lemme tell you something you disgusting freak of nature; it fucking sucks ass

Listen. I do a lot of baking. That normally involves getting my hands dirty and all butter'd up. I also live in the middle of shitballs nowhere and sometimes our water goes wonky so we only have cold water for washing up. And oh my fucking god does it make cleaning up an absolute bloody chore. The natural heat exuded by my hands is counteracted by the icy piss water and it makes the butter hard, ergo I have to spend ten goddamn hours trying to get this shit off my hands. Doesn't help that its cold water, so my hands are fucking numb. So I'm trying to rub these two slippery, unfeeling stubs of meat together to get butter off them. it fucking sucks. I'd genuinely prefer licking them clean. I don't do that because I'm not a fucking cat, but its far better than glacier spunk straight from the southern bloody poles. And that'd not even touching on the leftover bowls and baking trays. Good god in heaven those things are a fucking warzone when all you've got is a slow trickle of cold water and a dream

You make me sick. I hope you get waterboarded in a sink of freezing cold piss you fucking shithead. Jesus Christ.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hoooo boy, lots of misconceptions itt

ok so im a physical expert; let me try to clear some things up here

hot water is better for washing up because hot is faster than cold

this is similar to the idea of redshift and blueshift; a red car will travel faster than a blue one. that's why ferraris are all red and win all the races

when you use hot water, the time dilation allows washing up to be completed ~20% faster

this is desirable bc washing up is a chore

okay that should about cover it, lmk if you have any questions

hoooo boy, lots of misconceptions itt

ok so im a physical expert; let me try to clear some things up here

hot water is better for washing up because hot is faster than cold

this is similar to the idea of redshift and blueshift; a red car will travel faster than a blue one. that's why ferraris are all red and win all the races

when you use hot water, the time dilation allows washing up to be completed ~20% faster

this is desirable bc washing up is a chore

okay that should about cover it, lmk if you have any questions
This is important. Is the Ferrari driving away or coming towards you?

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Today I was washing dishes with cold water (our boiler is broken but I also just like how cold water feels). My mum entered the room, reminded me the boiler was broken and implied I should leave the dishes until later.

While she didn't say it directly, it was implied I should be using hot water, which I know people usually do, but does it actually matter?

A quick Google search gives mixed results, some saying hot water is better for killing bacteria while others saying it doesn't make much difference.

What do you think? And do you have any scientific evidence to back up your perspective?

This is really bothering me...
as other experts have said already itt, hot water will make washing the dishes much faster and more efficient and it really does matter because it takes way less effort with hot water and if youre a clean person who also likes to cook or do other things that involve dirty dishes you will save yourself a lot of time by getting used to running the water as hot as you can handle it and investing in a good dish soap. you don't have to put off washing dishes if you dont have hot water, but it will make it take more physical effort to clean the dishes.

I only use the sink to scrub off stuff our dishwasher can't handle, but I only use hot water for scraping really tough things off the dishes. Otherwise, I normally wash the dishes cold. On a somewhat related note, I like the sensation of cold water soaking my hands

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Heat makes molecules move faster, which is useful if you want to get sticky shit off of stuff. No idea how people learn to clean dishes with cold water.
yeah it helps melt some of the grease. But I'm too lazy to wear gloves when washing the dishes so I never get it scalding enough to either disinfect or get good at goo-gone ):

The sensation of food bits and cold water at once is awful to me so I always wear gloves, and those gloves let me use hot water for easier grease removal. Plus the feeling of warm rubber around my hands is nice and it helps distract me from how irritating my least-favorite chore is.

The sensation of food bits and cold water at once is awful to me so I always wear gloves, and those gloves let me use hot water for easier grease removal. Plus the feeling of warm rubber around my hands is nice and it helps distract me from how irritating my least-favorite chore is.
I can really relate to that. As soon as the food pieces just touch the water they suddenly becomes really disgusting

I have a sponge on a hollow plastic handle that can be filled with detergent. Works great with dealing with the fact that food waste grosses me out like spiders apparently do for most people.

I usually run the sink hot, though I also don't actually wait for it to warm up and turn it off when not actively rinsing so the first couple don't get very warm water.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)