Watching the Anime Without All the Filler

I am of the opinion that, save for the BW arc, the anime's pretty decent when it's not in filler. The problem is that it is all goddamned filler.

This girl made a wonderful list based on episode summaries that cuts out every totally vapid and meaningless episode. It's not perfect (it's missing the episodes where Charizard and Ash finally bond) but she's making changes as she finds holes.

I wanted to catch up to the current Pokemon X & Y episodes so I could see new Pokemon in the anime but watching every episode was waaaaay too slow so I made this list where only important episodes relating to Ash's progression as a trainer were shown. I consider important episodes to be

• When Ash catches, evolves, releases, or trades a Pokemon.

• When Ash wins a gym battle and gains a badge.

• All of the battles in the final league of a season.

• When Ash's friends join or leave him.

• Any episode required to give these events context.
I just finished watching all the episodes in the list and it works so well. I didn't even notice that episodes were being skipped after a while and you can really get a feel of Ash's progression as a trainer. Hopefully this will be helpful to others like me that wanted to get back into the show but couldn't be bothered with all the filler episodes.
Pokemon Fast Track Viewing List

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow this is pretty legit. I was actually thinking of compiling a similar list for myself to watch before the XY arc starts so this helps a whole lot

I actually did something like this once, though I never posted it online and I was a lot more lenient in what I considered non-filler. Personally, I would include important episodes with Ash's traveling partners as well, but I've skimmed over it and it seems like a good list. Might actually try watching the listed episodes myself sometime.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Nice list, the only problem is, Ash gets reset every gen. Dont think im being sardonic, i think that way of separating every season is useful, a lot, but even then, after going to the next gen, you WILL notice that ash suddenly gets amnesia about everything he learned in the past region, so, he has no character development to say the least. :[

Id like more people to read the manga, because there are actually well written characters and non-repetitive plots, and people would actually see what a pokemon story can be if taken seriously.

Nice list, the only problem is, Ash gets reset every gen. Dont think im being sardonic, i think that way of separating every season is useful, a lot, but even then, after going to the next gen, you WILL notice that ash suddenly gets amnesia about everything he learned in the past region, so, he has no character development to say the least. :[

Id like more people to read the manga, because there are actually well written characters and non-repetitive plots, and people would actually see what a pokemon story can be if taken seriously.
Eh. I would rather this not be a manga thread. I don't care for the manga for various reasons, though it has its moments, and I get really tired of people pushing Red.

If you think the anime is decent after watching the episode where Ash fights Clay, you probably just like really generic things. Literally any line in it can be put in another battle anywhere and you would not be able to tell the difference.

I personally think that the anime overall is decent, especially since it's catered toward children than us older folk. I actually think that the filler is quite fun to watch because it helps expand the Pokémon world in a way that's not possible through the limited medium of the games.

I was just thinking of watching the series without all the filler so I appreciate that someone took the time to make a list. The episodes that always excited me the most were rival battles or evolution episodes and gym/league battles. Lets face it, the show is aimed at young children but the epic battles make for good show. I just eventually either hate the partner characters or could care less. Ash gets more naive and annoying with every season so I'd rather just stick to the good battles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)