We now have a Twitter (@TheBattleSpot) + state of the forum

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey everyone, I’m back and I have some cool things in store. I will get to all the new posts and threads ASAP.

First of all, many congratulations to EnGarde for making Community Contributor. We appreciate everyone who posts and shows commitment for the community. EnGarde has only been on the forums for a few months but has done so much for us - exactly the kind of person we like having around. We value new users as well as those who have been with us for awhile or are badged. As long as you show respect for other users and have an earnest interest in playing Battle Spot, we will welcome you. I feel that our “lurk less” rule has been very successful because I see new users posting here asking questions and you guys are awesome in helping out - I barely get to post because you guys are so quick in helping with good and thorough answers lol. My approach to the community is that the best way to grow is to be inclusive; you don’t have to be a 1800+ rated player to be valued, though we will try to support each other so we will come to dominate the rankings!

The big project I mentioned before my vacation is Twitter. Follow at @TheBattleSpot! I’ve never used Twitter but I spoke to Smogon social media people to seek ways to promote the Battle Spot forum and I was told that Twitter was a great way to promote ourselves. If you have a Twitter, please share and retweet us and recommend us to friends. I promise content that isn't boring. I am more familiar with Facebook, but Facebook is much more difficult to promote imo and Fuckerberg hides 70% of whatever I post unless we pay him money. Please share/follow us if you have Twitter, we could really use the help! I mostly thought about ways to make us actually worth following so people have an incentive to check the forum out. Here’s what I came up with:
  • Daily updates. Post of the day, set of the day, daily tips, it’ll be random but helpful tidbits to improve everyone’s game. The downside to Twitter is that I can’t post anything detailed due to character limit but if I have to come up with something original, I’ll hotlink the relevant post in this thread.

• Giveaways that are relevant to the current news and metagame. I am breeding the base forms of some of the new Megas atm, some will be RNG abused, all are awesome. These will be announced in advance.

• Promoting Battle Spot events, including the Battle Spot PS! channel. If you guys have something awesome going on irc or the PS! channel, lemme know and it’ll go up on Twitter.

• Pokemon news, ad nauseum.
It's just maintained by myself atm, but if you are a trusted community member with good ideas, I might be open to giving others access.

I have another thread idea coming up but I gotta find some good leads - a thread where we discuss Japanese blogs and strategies. Right now I’m sifting through hatena and 2ch for stuff since there’s no Japanese Smogon but these resources can offer valuable insights. I will continue to maintain the other threads, the viability rankings need a little bump.

I think the next serious effort to contributing to the Smogon site will be an updated differences between Battle Spot singles and Smogon tiers. We have a stickied thread but that predates Pokebank and therefore contains many inaccuracies that are not relevant to the current metagame. I also plan a guide for new players to BS Triples based on the CCAT and I plan to push Rotation for new players so non-singles formats don’t feel neglected - but those will be a bit down the road.

As always, feel free to PM myself or Hula if you have feedback about the forum. I myself am especially looking for ideas to further help new players get involved. Suggestions, complaints, something I/we can improve on, whatever you think needs to be done. Don’t be shy about being honest if it’s not positive feedback (but of course use common sense politeness). I’m here for you guys, we’re doing a great job growing and I suspect we’ll probably get some more activity once OR/AS comes out.

By the way, Battle Spot is confirmed for OR/AS and the next season will be concurrent with it so exciting times will be upon us all.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I have never used twitter before, but I have just created an account and followed. :)

If you need help collecting giveaway stuff, I've got some SV hatched shinies and can RNG good stuff in Black 2 to give away. I'm experimenting with chatot pitches (when I have time), so in the near future, I hope to be able to RNG shinies as well.

As for Japanese battling resources for your other thread idea, there is yakkun. After you get over the hilarity that is google translate, you can get some interesting insight there. Ghost_V2 found an interesting mega scizor set that I think would be cool to discuss, if you need starting material. Looks like there is a list of things that the EVs are designed to survive, but I can barely make heads or tails of them myself. It is just strange enough (u-turn + swords dance on the same set) that I think it'd be worth talking about.

Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 8.14.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-22 at 11.57.29 PM.png

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I have a twitter account but I forgot the password... I'll follow when the activation email comes through ^_^ Awesome idea.

I have never used twitter before, but I have just created an account and followed. :)

If you need help collecting giveaway stuff, I've got some SV hatched shinies and can RNG good stuff in Black 2 to give away. I'm experimenting with chatot pitches (when I have time), so in the near future, I hope to be able to RNG shinies as well.

As for Japanese battling resources for your other thread idea, there is yakkun. After you get over the hilarity that is google translate, you can get some interesting insight there. Ghost_V2 found an interesting mega scizor set that I think would be cool to discuss, if you need starting material. Looks like there is a list of things that the EVs are designed to survive, but I can barely make heads or tails of them myself. It is just strange enough (u-turn + swords dance on the same set) that I think it'd be worth talking about.

"U-Turn Dragonfly Away Home" XD

Also, to clarify an earlier discussion BWong was absolutely correct to question a Porygon2 spread I erroneously interpreted as 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 Spe. It should of course read
244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe.

Given this, I would advise caution with google translate and seek a sanity check if you're unsure. A lot of moves and natures do not translate into English particularly well - for example, a 'Naughty' nature in Japanese can actually mean an 'Impish' nature in English.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Bulbapedia has japanese names listed, so if you search for the japanese text you should end up with the corresponding move/pokemon/ability/whatever

Last edited:
Works for Pokemon and it's easy to narrow down abilities.

Some moves can be difficult to decipher in my experience. For (an easier) example, google translate interprets 'Superpower' as 'Brute Force' - putting that into Bulbapedia doesn't return anything useful (For reference the Japanese for Superpower is 'Great Power'). A little bit of thinking outside the box comes in handy.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Works for Pokemon and it's easy to narrow down abilities.

Some moves can be difficult to decipher in my experience. For (an easier) example, google translate interprets 'Superpower' as 'Brute Force' putting that into Bulbapedia doesn't return anything useful (For reference the Japanese for Superpower is 'Great Power'). A little bit of thinking outside the box comes in handy.
Which is why you use the japanese text and not the google translated stuff!

Which is why you use the japanese text and not the google translated stuff!
Take your point, I didn't realise you could search using Japanese characters on Bulbapedia.

Could potentially be a fair bit of faffing about switching languages to make sure you copy the correct characters though...

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I changed the name to @TheBattleSpot because it sounds better.

Sweet find, EnGarde. I'll bookmark that.

I found the original page and it's better to go from there. The set is:

Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant
236 HP / 52 Atk / 52 Def / 92 SpD / 76 Speed
U-turn
Bullet Punch
Swords Dance
Roost

for singles format.

(this is my own commentary and not translated from the page)
This set appears to be a very bulky SD set, with U-turn instead of more traditional filler like Knock Off or Superpower which is find interesting. U-turn is generally a trademark of more offensive sets to keep up momentum, but Scizor can scarcely afford to run super offensive sets in a format filled with hostile Pokemon like Talonflame, Heatran, and the faster Rotom.

I found the page somewhat hard to decipher due to the heavy use of abbreviations. However, I was able to make out the reasoning for the EVs and the thresholds conveniently included.

236 HP / 52 Def is designed to survive 2 EQs from Landorus, which checks out: 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 52 Def Mega Scizor: 73-87 (41.7 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
3HKO from Garchomp EQ: 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 28 Def Mega Scizor: 63-75 (36 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Minimizes chance of 2HKO from Terrakion CC: 252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 236 HP / 52 Def Mega Scizor: 75-88 (42.8 - 50.2%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
3HKO from neutral Mega Tar Stone Edge: 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 236 HP / 52 Def Mega Scizor: 73-87 (41.7 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
3HKO from positive regular Tar Stone Edge: 252+ Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 236 HP / 52 Def Mega Scizor: 69-82 (39.4 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

236 HP / 92 SpD is designed for:
Surviving Modest Mega Venu's HP Fire: 252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Hidden Power Fire vs. 236 HP / 92 SpD Mega Scizor: 136-160 (77.7 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
3HKO from Specs Latios' Surf / Thunderbolt: 252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Surf vs. 236 HP / 92 SpD Mega Scizor: 70-83 (40 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
It mentions Hydreigon's Dark Pulse, but I got a good chance of 2HKO from LO: 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 236 HP / 92 SpD Mega Scizor: 79-95 (45.1 - 54.2%) -- 50.4% chance to 2HKO
Minimizes chance of 3HKO from Thundurus and Thundurus-T, however the former often runs LO which throws this calc off: 252 SpA Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 236 HP / 92 SpD Mega Scizor: 76-91 (43.4 - 52%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO
3HKO from Cress HP Fire with no SpA investment: 0 SpA Cresselia Hidden Power Fire vs. 236 HP / 92 SpD Mega Scizor: 68-84 (38.8 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
3HKO from Raikou Thunderbolt: 252 SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 236 HP / 92 SpD Mega Scizor: 66-78 (37.7 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Speed EVs are to tie base 85s like Suicune and Cresselia with no investment. (I personally would not leave it up to a coinflip imo. And there's no telling if those two don't run speedcreep EVs either.)

I think there is a lot of thought put into the EVs but they can be situational. Remember, it's not just surviving attacks but also being able to benefit from that, whether KOing the opposition in question or U-turning out. For instance, Scizor needs an SD in its belt to beat Mega Venu, Thundurus, and Hydreigon - the Attack EVs give you enough for 2HKOs but U-turn can also be counterproductive to that goal. Being reliant on a boost is a little sketchy, even with Roost and great defenses. Overall, I think it's an interesting set and definitely the work of a skilled player but I think the move choice might need some tweaking.

Addendum:

Set goes well with Heatran and Electric types.

I changed the name to @TheBattleSpot because it sounds better.

Sweet find, EnGarde. I'll bookmark that.

I found the original page and it's better to go from there. The set is:

Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant
236 HP / 52 Atk / 52 Def / 92 SpD / 76 Speed
U-turn
Bullet Punch
Swords Dance
Roost

for singles format.

(this is my own commentary and not translated from the page)
This set appears to be a very bulky SD set, with U-turn instead of more traditional filler like Knock Off or Superpower which is find interesting. U-turn is generally a trademark of more offensive sets to keep up momentum, but Scizor can scarcely afford to run super offensive sets in a format filled with hostile Pokemon like Talonflame, Heatran, and the faster Rotom.

I found the page somewhat hard to decipher due to the heavy use of abbreviations. However, I was able to make out the reasoning for the EVs and the thresholds conveniently included.

236 HP / 52 Def is designed to survive 2 EQs from Landorus, which checks out: 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 52 Def Mega Scizor: 73-87 (41.7 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
3HKO from Garchomp EQ: 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 28 Def Mega Scizor: 63-75 (36 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Minimizes chance of 2HKO from Terrakion CC: 252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 236 HP / 52 Def Mega Scizor: 75-88 (42.8 - 50.2%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
3HKO from neutral Mega Tar Stone Edge: 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 236 HP / 52 Def Mega Scizor: 73-87 (41.7 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
3HKO from positive regular Tar Stone Edge: 252+ Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 236 HP / 52 Def Mega Scizor: 69-82 (39.4 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

236 HP / 92 SpD is designed for:
Surviving Modest Mega Venu's HP Fire: 252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Hidden Power Fire vs. 236 HP / 92 SpD Mega Scizor: 136-160 (77.7 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
3HKO from Specs Latios' Surf / Thunderbolt: 252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Surf vs. 236 HP / 92 SpD Mega Scizor: 70-83 (40 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
It mentions Hydreigon's Dark Pulse, but I got a good chance of 2HKO from LO: 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 236 HP / 92 SpD Mega Scizor: 79-95 (45.1 - 54.2%) -- 50.4% chance to 2HKO
Minimizes chance of 3HKO from Thundurus and Thundurus-T, however the former often runs LO which throws this calc off: 252 SpA Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 236 HP / 92 SpD Mega Scizor: 76-91 (43.4 - 52%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO
3HKO from Cress HP Fire with no SpA investment: 0 SpA Cresselia Hidden Power Fire vs. 236 HP / 92 SpD Mega Scizor: 68-84 (38.8 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
3HKO from Raikou Thunderbolt: 252 SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 236 HP / 92 SpD Mega Scizor: 66-78 (37.7 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Speed EVs are to tie base 85s like Suicune and Cresselia with no investment. (I personally would not leave it up to a coinflip imo. And there's no telling if those two don't run speedcreep EVs either.)

I think there is a lot of thought put into the EVs but they can be situational. Remember, it's not just surviving attacks but also being able to benefit from that, whether KOing the opposition in question or U-turning out. For instance, Scizor needs an SD in its belt to beat Mega Venu, Thundurus, and Hydreigon - the Attack EVs give you enough for 2HKOs but U-turn can also be counterproductive to that goal. Being reliant on a boost is a little sketchy, even with Roost and great defenses. Overall, I think it's an interesting set and definitely the work of a skilled player but I think the move choice might need some tweaking.

Addendum:

Set goes well with Heatran and Electric types.
thanks for explaining the EVs. It was driving me mad not knowing why they use the EVs the way they did.

Age of Kings - the Impish Azumarill set I found is also intriguing. Can I nominate it for the next look?

http://yakkun.com/xy/theory/n38

If I've interpreted correctly, the nature and EV combination is designed to withstand two consecutive Garchomp Earthquakes (among other things). Would be awesome to get your take on this too when you can spare a moment of your valuable time :)

Last edited:

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Age of Kings - the Impish Azumarill set I found is also intriguing. Can I nominate it for the next look?

http://yakkun.com/xy/theory/n38

If I've interpreted correctly, the nature and EV combination is designed to withstand two consecutive Garchomp Earthquakes (among other things). Would be awesome to get your take on this too when you can spare a moment of your valuable time :)
Yeah, it looks to be a generic AV set with Impish and the EVs being 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Def:
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 124 HP / 132+ Def Azumarill: 81-96 (42.4 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

It acknowledges that Rough Skin will throw these calcs off, meaning that EQ isn't quite a 3HKO. If you take EQ on the switch-in, you'll both faint but apparently Azu will have done its job. I found a bunch of other calcs on the bottom, but the only other thing that caught me eye was from a 3HKO from Blaziken's Stone Edge.

With Sitrus Berry, the recommended EVs change to 124 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Def / 60 SpD.

I find it interesting that Goodra is recommended as a partner for this Azumarill - they definitely help with each other's checks (although since both are good AV candidates, you'll have to pick one). Goodra / Azu core is interesting imo.

EDIT: Superpower is recommended over Knock Off for Kanga.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)