Weather in VGC11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Status: Will edit more in later, such as finishing the lists of pokemon who get the weather moves.

Weather in VGC11
Weather has always been an important factor in all of the previous VGCs, and it seems no different in VGC11. However, with only have access to Isshu Pokemon, VGC players have now been reset with no chance to have automatic weather. This is the first time in the history of VGC (not including JAA) where there is absolutely no chance for automatic weather. Here a brief look at the different types of weather usable in VGC11.

Rain
Benefits of Rain
  • Raises the power of all Water-type attacks to 1.5
  • Weakens the power of all Fire-type attacks to 0.5
  • Thunder and Gale have 100% accuracy

Rain Dance and Damp Rock

Rain Dance is a move that creates Rain on the field that will last for 5 turns. When a Pokemon equipped with Damp Rock uses Rain Dance, the resulting Rain will last for 8 turns instead of the usual 5.

Abilities that benefit from Rain
Hydration - Cure any status condition that the Pokemon may have when Rain is present. Activates at the end of the turn.

Mamanbou [Water - 165/75/80/40/45/65]

Agirudaa [Bug - 80/70/40/100/60/145]

Swanna [Water/Flying - 75/87/63/87/63/98] (Unreleased)

Swift Swim - Doubles Pokemon's speed when Rain is present.

Gamageroge [Water/Ground - 105/85/75/85/75/74]

Abagoura [Water/Rock - 74/108/133/83/65/32]

Tsunbeaa [Ice - 95/110/80/70/80/50] (Unreleased)

Sun
Benefits of Sun
  • Raises the power of all Fire-type attacks to 1.5
  • Weakens the power of all Water-type attacks to 0.5
  • Solarbeam does not need a turn to charge up

Sunny Day and Heat Rock

Sunny Day is a move that creates Sun on the field that will last for 5 turns. When a Pokemon equipped with Heat Rock uses Sunny Day, the resulting Sun will last for 8 turns instead of the usual 5.

Abilities that benefit from Sun
Chlorophyll - Doubles Pokemon's speed when Sun is present.

Hahakurimo [Bug/Grass - 75/103/80/70/70/92]

Doredia [Grass - 70/60/75/110/75/90]

Marakacchi [Grass - 75/86/67/106/67/60]

Mebukijika [Normal/Grass - 80/100/70/60/70]

Erufuun [Grass - 60/67/85/77/75/116] (Unreleased)

Leaf Guard - Makes the Pokemon immune to all status conditions when Sun is present. Makes Rest fail when Sun is present.

Doredia [Grass - 70/60/75/110/75/90] (Unreleased)

Hail
Benefits of Hail
  • Damages all non-Ice-type pokemon 6.25% at the end of each turn.
  • Blizzard has 100% accuracy

Hail and Icy Rock

Hail is a move that creates Hail on the field that will last for 5 turns. When a Pokemon equipped with Icy Rock uses Hail, the resulting Hail will last for 8 turns instead of the usual 5.

Abilities that benefit from Hail
Ice Body - Heals 6.25% of the owner's maximum health when Hail is present. Activates at the end of each turn.

Balbanira [Ice - 71/95/85/110/95/79]

Snow Cloak - Increases Evasiveness 1 stage when Hail is present.

Tsunbeaa [Ice - 95/110/80/70/80/50]

Sandstorm
Benefits of Sandstorm
  • Damages all non-Rock, Steel-, or Ground-type pokemon 6.25% at the end of each turn.
  • Raises the Special Defense of all Rock-type Pokemon to 1.5.

Sandstorm and Smooth Rock

Sandstorm is a move that creates Sandstorm on the field that will last for 5 turns. When a Pokemon equipped with Smooth Rock uses Sandstorm, the resulting Sandstorm will last for 8 turns instead of the usual 5.

Abilities that benefit from Sandstorm
Sand Strength - Raises Ground-, Rock-, and Steel-type moves to 1.5 their original strength when Sandstorm is present.

Doryuuzu [Ground/Steel - 110/135/60/50/65/88]

Randoruso [Ground/Flying - 89/125/90/115/80/101]

Gigagiasu [Rock - 85/135/130/60/70/25] (Unreleased)

Sand Throw - Doubles Pokemon's speed when Sandstorm is present.

Muurando [Normal - 85/100/90/45/90/80]

Doryuuzu [Ground/Steel - 110/135/60/50/65/88]

Sand Veil - Increases Evasiveness 1 stage when Sandstorm is present.

Maggyo [Ground/Electric - 109/66/84/81/99/32] (Unreleased)

breh

強いだね
er.. are any of the non-ss weathers viable? Rain has no released (ATM but they don't seem to want to release 5th gen DW pokes) sweepers but the shitty gamageroge, Sun has only grass types, Shandera (no DW so it sucks) and ulgamoth (which is admittedly good... but not great), and Hail is... well lol

the only use any of them have is to cancel ss, and priority taunt can do that already.

sun isn't too bad. there's also hihidaruma with an ecourage, sun, STAB boosted base 140 Flare Blitz. ohkos everything that isn't super bulky and doesn't resist, 2hkos everything else.

but other than that, hail and rain are shit. overall, ss is the way to go.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
er.. are any of the non-ss weathers viable? Rain has no released (ATM but they don't seem to want to release 5th gen DW pokes) sweepers but the shitty gamageroge, Sun has only grass types, Shandera (no DW so it sucks) and ulgamoth (which is admittedly good... but not great), and Hail is... well lol

the only use any of them have is to cancel ss, and priority taunt can do that already.
Shandera literally has no use for Shadow Tag in doubles, Flash Fire is actually the superior ability. I've used Shandera on a Sunny Day team with Erufuun and I can say that it's top notch. Scarf Modest with Heat Wave while Erufuun activates Sunny Day (with priority) is no joke.

Who has the balls to use a hail team this year? =P

It's a shame though, an ice shard user can destroy erufuun. It's just hard to fit one in.

But Baibanira is the only one with decent enough attack to use Ice shard, and can't Erufuun taunt before you set up hail?
I think Sandstorm is going to be the top weather this year, but then there's Erufuun and those trick room teams. It's gonna be an interesting year, that's for sure.

I'd go for a hail team. Since ice apparently destroys that erufuun poke.
Balbanira has decent enough stats, right?

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
COMEBACK FOR SUN TEAMS :D
They actually might dominate (in terms of weather) in an environment where Groudon is banned.

*Yawns* Alright. Another year for VGC - time for me to start posting again.

I think that sun will be a common threat, but think that the lure of Doryuuzu/Randorosu will be almost too good to pass up.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Update thread please. Politoed and ninetales are out so forget it.
If you bothered to read the VGC 2011 rules, you would know that those two are banned - you're only allowed to use pokemon you obtain from the Isshu/Unova region.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you bothered to read the VGC 2011 rules, you would know that those two are banned - you're only allowed to use pokemon you obtain from the Isshu/Unova region.
I think he means they're "out" as in thrown out like they can't be used. He very well could mean it the other way, but that's how I took it.

Imo most weathers will be shunned for either tailwind or trickroom. Seriously, tailwind is like ss except one less turn, an it boost ALL of your pokemons speed. Also I don't know if this is a glitch or not but on PO you can reset turns while tailwind is active by simply using it again. However sun boosted heatwaves seem fairly potent.

breh

強いだね
Imo most weathers will be shunned for either tailwind or trickroom. Seriously, tailwind is like ss except one less turn, an it boost ALL of your pokemons speed. Also I don't know if this is a glitch or not but on PO you can reset turns while tailwind is active by simply using it again. However sun boosted heatwaves seem fairly potent.
Yeah fairly sure the tailwind thing is a glitch

Anyway I'm going to agree with this; Trick Room and Tailwind are really the best because they practically make every move go first. Rain and Sun aren't that bad either as each has a high-power multi hit move (rain has (the admittedly akward) surf as well as Water Spout... don't remember if there are any Muddy Water users and sun has Heat Wave).

We have Tornadus and Thundurus to set up weather with priority. Not sure why you would want to set up hail, though, since Kyurem is banned from this.

This is kinda stupid but I thought you meant the real weather influencing how many players would attend =(
^ That literally made my day.

I found this on Team Magma's site, and if the stats used to gather this information remain relatively stable, Hail + Blizzard could very well be a counter to a lot of the more powerful strats (Whimsicott leads, Hydreigon, genies, etc.).

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sun seems like it could be a decent strategy, and I think it really stands out as the best weather available. Between Shanderaa's Heat Wave and Hihidaruma Flare Blitz, it will be pretty hard to wall a Sun team. They can even use Doreida's Grass moves to take out Terakion, who would otherwise give Fire mons issues.

The main problem with Ice is the pokemon that can use ice attacks suck. Also they are weak to Shandera and most pokemon which are weak to Ice can harm Ice with strong attacks especially due to their extreme frailty. Sunny Day isn't that great either, it might seem good when you theorymon, but they share too many common weaknesses and Tailwind (Tornelos) and in general Sazandora will win against them. Rain Dance is okay, not too many abusers, they can abuse it just as much as you and the sweepers are not so strong for their job.

The Ice/Dragon doesn't seem too bad under Hail, and backed by other strong Ice Types like Articuno (Tailwind + Snowcloak), it could prove decent.

A hail team is outclassed by Sun and Rain mostly rain if if you can use weather abusers most of the time. Hail doesn't offer much of an offensive advantage other than accurate Blizzards, while other pokemon can abuse Rain and Sun for much larger advantages.

HolyChipmunk

California's finest chodesmuggler
I think sun is the dominant weather this year, with an easy way to set up (Erufuun) and many abusers (Shandera, the daruma thing, Urugamosu and Hahakomori, for starters). The only problem is dealing with other sun teams, from what I've tested.

Has anyone actually used a rain team to much success?

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I've used a Trick Room Rain team that worked pretty well. I think Hail is a lot more viable than alot of people think it is. Blizzard detroys alot of the metagame and will almost always guarantee you at least one kill a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)