SM OU Weavile Sun (1960+ peak)

Should I do another Rate My Team on another sun team I made?

• Yes

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Introduction

When I was surfing through sun ideas, I was wanting a team that could be flexible in and out of sun, but I also wanted to use Weavile in the process when making the team. I felt Weavile was super good with its choice band set, it creates a ton of 50/50's and mind games, but it also has a straight forward Knock Off spam too. Its ability to Pursuit trap Heatran due to its speed, dealing with Mega Latias well due to its icicle crash+pursuit, and it gives me priority too. With Sun as a play style, it does good vs steels and then sucks vs dragons, Weavile benefits from Sun's ability to take out steels, and Weavile can take down dragons while also luring many threats into a powerful knock off. The sun team in general is pretty good in every match up because of this effect.

Results of the team

Now I will first say that I don't have a screen shot of the exact elo, what I do remember is that I was 1960+ with this team on multiple occasions, for evidence that I used this team over and over in higher elo ranges, check the replays at the bottom.

The Team

I'll go over the pokemon's sets and reasonings for each set, then I'll talk about the match ups for each play style. Edit: A warning here as this is a more skill based team, so for players just starting out, I don't think this should be your first sun. For anyone who is skilled as a player, this sun is for you 100%.

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
First up, the star of the show when sun is gone, Weavile. As I discussed earlier, what it does well against and what it struggles with mesh very well with sun overall. I choose the Choice Band set due to its ability to snag 2hko's on a ton of pokemon and having knock off be as powerful as possible. Scarf could work but at that point I'd honestly go Krookadile with a choice scarf and then the lando t slot becomes flexable, but I prefer the power of Weavile. While Weavile does have Low Kick, I don't know if I'd pick that over any of the other moves myself, the only some-what open slot is Ice Shard, and even then Ice Shard comes in handy more often then not.

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Lava Plume
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
The sun setter, so I got to put this here. Torkoal with heat rock gives me enough turns to really abuse the sun for as long as I can, along with its bulk, can last a long while. Rapid Spin is mandatory on Torkoal for sun, as it acts as a backup hazard removal. Stealth Rocks are pretty easy to put in the third slot, as it lets me have hazards, which this team loves, especially Venusaur once Weavile gets a Knock Off on Toxapex. For a fire type stab, I choose Lava Plume, I can fish for burns and do decent damage to many pokemon. Flamethrower is a alternative if you want to always ohko Mega Mawile and Mega Pinsir. The last slot is the most free, it can be a variety of things, but I choose toxic because it hits Pelipper and many switch ins on Torkoal while also having a counter play to pokemon like Volcarona and Charizard X. The reason that Torkoal is min speed is to help the trick room match up and to have the slowest Rapid Spin possible, seems odd at first but that attribute comes in handy. You can make Torkoal normal speed if you want to.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Growth
The heart and soul of 90% of sun teams, Venusaur. With support from Weavile's Pursuit trap, Venusaur can then run wild on many opponents, leaving them defenseless as it clicks growth. Venusaur does have its issue of being walled off by Heatran and Kommo-o, but Tapu Fini+Weavile+Charizard X helps soften that match up a lot. The set is a typical sweeper Venusaur set, Life Orb for more kos, Giga Drain as a solid stan move that also gives you back hp and abuses Venusaur's solid bulk. Sludge Bomb makes potential switch ins weary of being poisoned, and Hp fire for steels not named Heatran. With Knock Off support, this Venusaur can beat Toxapex in a 1v1 as long as you have Life Orb. The reason for no Z move is because I do prefer the Life Orb set. There is no Earthquake as that wouldn't mesh as well with Weavile as Hidden Power Fire. Modest nature is chosen because Venusaur otherwise could not ko a lot of pokemon.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Defog
- Knock Off
Tapu Fini, one of 3 ways to remove hazards, but its also one way to deal with fire type threats. Tapu Fini's lack of recovery might seem like a bad thing and only a bad thing, but it also lures in pokemon like rocks Heatran who think that beating Fini and putting up rocks is a good idea, only to see it at 22% health, no leftovers, and ready to be Pursuit trapped. Weavile+Natures Madness is one of the key ways that you can break down teams as the opposition is worried about Charizard X or Y plowing through their team. Tapu Fini's spread allows it to take 3 ash greninja Hydro Pumps under rain 100% of the time. The rest is put into defense fot key moments where Tapu Fini has to eat a few hits on the defensive end and take out the other pokemon. Tapu Fini's set is defog so Charizard has a easier time setting up and breaking and also putting less pressure on Torkoal and Landorus to defog/spin. Moonblast and Natures Madness are the next two moves, allowing Tapu Fini to effectively check a variety of threats while also helping Weavile/Venusaur late game with its Natures Madness breaking. The last slot is a odd one, but it does serve its purpose, Knock Off. With dual knock off, I can effectively cripple a number of pokemon, allowing for Venusaur to more easily sweep. Knock off also allows me to punish Heatran if it does stay in and also cripple/scout other switch ins on Fini like Tangrowth, Toxapex, and Ferrothorn. This slot can be used for anything you want, but I think knock off fits too well on this team to not to use it.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
With any sun team, you need a fire type, a good fire type, this is where Charizard X comes into play. Charizard X+Misty Terrain+Sun is a devastating combination. Misty Terrain allows Charizard X to never fear a toxic or thunder wave, so Toxapex becomes food for this beast. Charizard X also helps Fini in dealing with other fire types, as it's *4 resistance to fire is invaluable to this team. The set is Flare Blitz, a stupidly strong move under sun and lets it wall break with ease. Roost comes next, making it able to deal with many fire types and keeps its longevity throughout the battle. Earthquake takes up the next slot, allowing it to hit pokemon such as Heatran, Toxapex, and Tyranitar. The last move goes to Dragon Dance, allowing it to be a sweeper and still scary outside of sun. Dragon Claw (in terrain lol) and Brick Break are both pretty meh options. Flame Charge is also a bad Dragon Dance in most cases, and Swords Dance doesn't really do much for it outside of overkill on breaking and making it easier to revenge kill.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 Atk / 68 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog
- Stone Edge
For the last slot, I wanted ground immunity, electric immunity, speed control outside of sun, and maybe another defog user, of course this goes to Lando T. Lando T allows this team to be fine without sun, along with other names, and not crumble to volt switch spam, stone edge spam (unless crit), and earthquake spam once Charizard X mega evolves. Its moves are Earthquake, allowin... ok its stab Earthquake, enough said. Its other moves are U-turn, allowing it to be a pivot, Defog, making life a little easier on Fini and Torkoal, and stone edge, for them pesky Mega Pinsirs and flying types. The last slot is very wide open, explosion as a example could be used, but stone edge lets it hit would-be switch ins like Tornadus T without fainting. Knock Off is a option too, but its not the most effective thing on this particular team.

The match ups vs each play style

Balance: Balance is normally Charizard X and Venusaur food. With Charizard X's ability to soften up a lot of defensive cores with ease, along with Weavile, Venusaur late is extremely dangerous for Balance teams.

Semi-Stall: Overall a decent match up when you take into account Charizard X being about to deal with semi-stalls speed+walls. Careful of dual prio Lopunny and Ditto though, those 2 can make things very annoying if you're not careful.

Stall: Sun's best possible match up is stall. With Venusaur's ability to 6-0 half of the stall teams with ease and doing well in every stall match up, it's a easy game if you don't play like garbage. Weavile's Pursuit/Knock Off, Tapu Fini's terrain, and Charizard X under sun are all great against stall too.

Rain: The better player wins this match up, but Torkoal can be a real pain for rain teams, with the combination to put sun up, rocks up, toxic, and rapid spin on ferrothorn, Torkoal makes this match up a fairly easy one. Weavile, Tapu Fini, and Venusaur also help a lot against these teams.

Sand: One of the more challenging match ups you'll get. Venusaur can do well against sand, Landorus T acts as a buffer early game vs sand and is good late game too. Weavile is a solid pick against sand aslo, Fini is solid, and Charizard X can break sand. The better player wins this match up.

Veil: Only good Veil team is Mega Ttar Veil, so I'll only mention that. Veil can be a very easy match up as long as you can take down Tyranitar and have the pieces needed to take on the other sweepers.

Screens: Can be a annoying match up at times, but with 2 defog users and a lot of ways to check sweepers, screens is pretty beatable. Beware of Iappapa sweepers, Kommo-o, and Mega Gyarados.

Webs:Torkoal takes a dump on Bee and Shuckle, but Araquanid is a bery annoying treat. You will have to use Venusaur to take down this monster, can be free set up, but don't attack at +2, you could see a mirror coat jump at you back and end up with a dead Venusaur. If you use your pokemon right and know what match ups you want, you can beat webs. Careful of Mega Pinsir flyspam.

Other Lead Ho:Leads on ho can be infuriating if you don't have a plan, but Weavile can lead against most leads and you can fish for a flinch. If its Aerodactyl lead, be careful of how you attack it, you can use Landorus T for it, but you'll likely need some hp for other attackers too.

Bulky Offense: A annoying match up at times, but sun generally has the match up advantage. Careful of pokemon like rockium z garchomp.

Psyspam: One of the hardest match ups you'll get. Weavile, while a dark type, is not a great switch into most psyspam abusers. Charizard X can beat these teams more often then not, but I would be careful on how you go about facing psyspam. Landorus T can revenge kill Alakazam and Tapu Fini can put it in range of Ice Shard, creating a 50/50. Venusaur is good v psyspam offensively but Alakazam taking chlorophyll can be a death sentence late game.

Grass spam: A easy match up, Charizard X, Weavile, Torkoal, and Venusaur all destroy these type of teams. Always be careful of some tech on sets, but if you play with half a brain you'll win pretty much every time.

Sun: Weavile+Charizard X makes this match up winnable, but this match up isn't the easiest thing ever. It normally comes down to who wins the speed tie between the Venus. May the best player win but don't be shocked if the battle ends with a Venu vs Venu situation. If Charizard X gets +2, you win.

Trick Room: Weavile+Torkoal make this match not a auto-lose, as this duo deals with trick room decently well. Charizard X late game is also very good vs Trick Room.

The Paste: https://pokepast.es/0e6cbe0e64ee5c06

Replays: I gathered a ton of replays, win or lose, when I'm battling someone with 1700+ elo bare minimum.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-947853166
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-950334835-zo990j6v0i5pywudlvxgtem1shj7dicpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-959859958
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-952908562
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-966704358
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-960374461
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-963318497
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-959874346
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-959873011
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-959859958
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-959840281
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-952908562
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-970675817

Thank you Primal Unova for helping me organize this rmt out.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting Zaza and thanks a lot for being a friend on PS.

For the rate: this team is very solid for a sun build but I think Weavile is probably really high IQ for newer players. Are any viable replacements for him? Does any Heatran lure work?

Thanks for posting Zaza and thanks a lot for being a friend on PS.

For the rate: this team is very solid for a sun build but I think Weavile is probably really high IQ for newer players. Are any viable replacements for him? Does any Heatran lure work?
Low Kick Weavile is probably a more effective Heatran lure, also if you just want something more safe against Heatran, you could try a bulky leftovers Hydreigon>Fini, thick fat banded (pursuit, earthquake, stab move, filler) Snorlax>Weavile and/or Krookadile>Landorus T, but I find these options a little bit less overwhelming overall in power. The team, as I'll edit in later, is a very skill based team. I hope these alternative ideas do interest you if you so choose to use them. Also likewise on the friend part.

wow you weren't kidding when you said choice band Weavile was strong say good bye to lando's
And yes, thats one of many reasons I love Weavile. Shard and/or Suit help Charizard get the effective chip to ohko under sun at -1 and defensive lando at +-0 or in the case of Ice Shard, just take it out entirely.

Sry to bother u im rly new at this game, but can u explain how weavile works dat fine in a sun team since he is a ice without any fire attacks??

Sry to bother u im rly new at this game, but can u explain how weavile works dat fine in a sun team since he is a ice without any fire attacks??
It doesn't really matter that the sun makes Weavile's Fire weakness even worse, because it's not like it was going to survive a Fire attack anyway. In return, it handles the Dragon-types resist its teammate's Fire attacks, especially Garchomp and Mega Lati@s.

why is weavile jolly?wouldn't adamant be better?
A fast and frail Pokemon like Weavile NEEDS to be able to hit first to avoid getting OHKOed. Adamant will make you more reliant on Ice Shard, actually lowering your overall damage output.

A fast and frail Pokemon like Weavile NEEDS to be able to hit first to avoid getting OHKOed. Adamant will make you more reliant on Ice Shard, actually lowering your overall damage output.
I guess you have a point.I just thought the base speed is a good speed tier for the mon

Why is Mega Charizard X the mega for this team instead of Mega Charizard Y? Wouldn't having another Sun setter be good?
Charizard X under sun is more of a threat then Charizard Y. Honestly when I make full sun teams with Charizard Y as a backup sun setter, its power output is very underwhelming and requires a lot of support w/o giving much utility defensively. Charizard X also benefits from Tapu Fini's Terrain more then Charizard Y. You can try Charizard Y>X if you wish to but personally Charizard X is a much bigger threat because it can set up and sweep, making this team less reliant on sun while doing so. Charizard X also hits Heatran and Toxapex harder, making life easier for Venusaur. Charizard X is also a much better fire type switch in then Charizard Y, taking some pressure of Tapu Fini.

Charizard X under sun is more of a threat then Charizard Y. Honestly when I make full sun teams with Charizard Y as a backup sun setter, its power output is very underwhelming and requires a lot of support w/o giving much utility defensively. Charizard X also benefits from Tapu Fini's Terrain more then Charizard Y. You can try Charizard Y>X if you wish to but personally Charizard X is a much bigger threat because it can set up and sweep, making this team less reliant on sun while doing so. Charizard X also hits Heatran and Toxapex harder, making life easier for Venusaur. Charizard X is also a much better fire type switch in then Charizard Y, taking some pressure of Tapu Fini.
Okay, thanks for the info!

I guess you have a point.I just thought the base speed is a good speed tier for the mon
It is very good, but without a Jolly nature, you get outsped by base 110s that run a speed-boosting nature. You still outspeed Kartana, so it's like having a base speed of 109.5, which isn't bad, but it's not amazing.

It is very good, but without a Jolly nature, you get outsped by base 110s that run a speed-boosting nature. You still outspeed Kartana, so it's like having a base speed of 109.5, which isn't bad, but it's not amazing.
To follow up on what you said, one of the main reasons for Weavile on sun is to eliminate Dragons such as Mega Latias, who has a speed stat of 110, which is slightly faster then Weavile if Adamant nature.

To follow up on what you said, one of the main reasons for Weavile on sun is to eliminate Dragons such as Mega Latias, who has a speed stat of 110, which is slightly faster then Weavile if Adamant nature.
ok I understand now thanks for the clear up DrPumpkinz and@Zaza

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)