Webcomics with captivating storylines?

I'd love to get another largeish plot-based webcomic to read through now that Questionable Content is beginning to drive me nuts with its crawling pace when I have to actually wait a day inbetween each strip. Anyone have recommendations?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Kid Radd and 8-bit Theatre are two excellent webcomics, both are completed.

Kid Radd isn't too long and is unique in its presentation as most panels have animation (the latter ones go crazy). 8-bit theatre is 1000+ panels of Final Fantasy 1/Dungeons and Dragons/General RPG crazy parody. With the Warriros of Light goig around and being huge dicks.

Both are amazingly funny, Kid Radd is the only comic that made me tear up.

misfile

misfile is a comic about an angel who is kinda dumb and accidentally changes the gender of the main character. a friend of mine posted a full review of it a while ago and it got me pretty hooked.

Most transgender comics turn into a) sexist nonsense, b) fetish fuel, or c) both. In fact, I’d say the majority are both. Misfile, with very few exceptions, manages to avoid these pitfalls. It actually gives a fairly realistic portrayal of the situation, and uses it effectively to tell an interesting story.
the rest of the review

updates every weekday.

Sinest
Daily updates, good art, huge archive. A good time waster that rewards you with eccentric, but lovable characters, running gags, and, to top it all off, good art.

Allan
If you are more into comics based on real life, Allan brings to life the events of a very outgoing american boy. Started in highschool, Allan continues with stories from his college (adult) life.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I started reading Sluggy back in 2001 during Fire and Rain, basically when it started to go seriously downhill comedy-wise while kicking up the intensity of its long, involved plotlines. If you're looking for an in-depth webcomic, I would highly recommend Sluggy Freelance... but make sure you start at the beginning so you understand what the hell is going on. It's completely self-referencing, all the way back to 1997.

Misfile is a bad manga imitator (plenty of manga with far stronger storylines if this is what you want) and Menage a Trois is smut filth drawn by someone who has never gotten laid or who, despite having been laid, still has nothing but seventh grade ideas about sexuality and humor involving sexuality. Megatokyo has a plot like you can get used to being raped in prison.

Sluggy had good storylines even through the pirate mess, but this latest 2 year Riff stint just seemed to drag on and on and on without ever going anywhere. I feel like if this was the type of strip they want, they need like 12 panels a day to keep crap moving at anything resembling a reasonable rate. Obviously that is demanding, but this storyline even finally kind of killed my enjoyment of the strip, and they had as much of my goodwill as any strip could have (used to be my favorite).

Evil Inc., Girl's Genius, Irregular Webcomic, and Order of the Stick have pretty good contiguous plots. For dead webcomics, Bruno the Bandit, Gaming Guardians, Grim Tales from Down Below / PowerPuff Girls (both from snafu-comics, pretty much the only good fanfiction ever), Marry Me, Patchwork Champions, and Wigu I remember as having strong plots depending on the particular type of plot you value, e.g. gaming, adventure, snark, et cetera. I am sure I am forgetting more dead ones, there are tons of good comics that finished instead of dragging on forever.

megatokyo.com is also cool. And too complicated to summarize, except that it's in Tokyo.
I respect your personal opinion, but to the general public, Megatokyo is complete self appreciating, unrealistic drivel and garbage designed only so the obese weeaboo nerd author can imagine himself not only living in Japan, but being adored by Japanese schoolgirls.

And there's a guy who talks in nothing but "1337sp33k", which should never have been dredged up again.

Sinfest is amazing. It doesn't have a captivating storyline (or really a storyline at all) though, so I'm not sure why it was brought up.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you have played through Half-Life 2 Concerned is a fabulous comic, one of the best parts is that is uses Garry's Mod so everything is straight from the game.

http://www.hlcomic.com/

The story is about a guy named Gordon Frohman, who is the exact opposite of the HL2 hero. Loud, obnoxious and not very smart. It runs just over 200 comics so it's not that long compared to some others.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Sluggy had good storylines even through the pirate mess, but this latest 2 year Riff stint just seemed to drag on and on and on without ever going anywhere. I feel like if this was the type of strip they want, they need like 12 panels a day to keep crap moving at anything resembling a reasonable rate. Obviously that is demanding, but this storyline even finally kind of killed my enjoyment of the strip, and they had as much of my goodwill as any strip could have (used to be my favorite).
Yeah, same here, and I've heard that from a bunch of other people too. I stopped reading it back during Oceans Unmoving or whatever that garbage was called, because I hate Bun-Bun as a standalone "leading" character.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)