Weezing

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Take over from the late The True Prophet

Weezing
QC: 3/3 (IronBullet93, Bouffalant, dodmen)
GP: 2/2 (Queez, P Squared)

[OVERVIEW]

Don't underestimate Weezing; thanks to its solid mono-Poison typing, Levitate, and high Defense, it is a very reliable physical wall in the UU tier. Its resistance to Fighting-type moves is especially useful, as the tier is filled with offensive Fighting-types such as Mienshao, Lucario, Infernape, and Machamp. Thanks to Weezing's decent Special Attack and access to Will-O-Wisp, it is not setup bait like most dedicated walls are. Couple that with Weezing's ability to wall foes and provide some momentum at the same time, and it makes for a solid choice on your stall or balance team.

Unfortunately, Weezing's low Special Defense allows special attackers to shut it down completely. Weezing also lacks reliable recovery, which is detrimental to its capabilities as a wall, as Pain Split can only help so much. Its low Speed also means that it'll nearly always have to take a hit before it is able to do anything.

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Toxic Spikes
move 2: Sludge Bomb / Flamethrower
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Pain Split / Haze
item: Black Sludge
ability: Levitate
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Toxic Spikes poisons foes as they switch in, making them easier to wear down. Sludge Bomb prevents Weezing from becoming setup bait and allows it to inflict poison on foes without using Toxic Spikes. Alternatively, Flamethrower can be used to directly punish Steel-types, such as Mega Aggron, Forretress, and Cobalion. It is especially useful to prevent Substitute + Swords Dance Cobalion from setting up on Weezing. Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers that attempt to use Weezing as setup bait. Pain Split is Weezing's best option for recovery, while Haze makes foes unable to try to set up against Weezing. Alternatively, Taunt is an option to stallbreak against opposing walls, though Weezing is too slow to use the move reliably.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defense investment with a Bold nature allows Weezing to take on several physical attackers in the UU tier. If running Taunt, 44 EVs in Speed can be used to hit uninvested Chesnaught and Umbreon with Taunt, preventing them from stalling out Weezing. Black Sludge gives Weezing passive recovery, allowing it to remain on the battlefield for a bit longer. Alternatively, Rocky Helmet can punish physical attackers and Knock Off users, but Weezing needs its reliable recovery and becomes overly reliant on Pain Split. Levitate removes Weezing's Ground weakness and allows it to switch in on Ground-type attacks and Spikes without worry.

Usage Tips
========

Weezing works best as an early- and mid-game wall. To get it in safely and successfully, pivot Weezing into powerful physical attacks to absorb the hit and stifle opposing momentum. Be sure to use it to deal with many threatening physical sweepers, including boosting ones such as Feraligatr and Lucario. In most cases, set up Toxic Spikes on the predicted switch. However, if you suspect that the opponent will bring in a wall, cripple it with Will-O-Wisp. If you predict the opponent will switch in a Steel-type, nail it with Flamethrower.

Team Options
========

Specially defensive clerics such as Umbreon, Blissey, Vaporeon, and Florges make for perfect teammates. They give Weezing a more reliable method of recovery than Pain Split and can take the special attacks that it has trouble surviving. Dark-, Ghost-, and Bug-types, such as Mega Absol, Doublade, and Mega Beedrill, respectively, can nail the Psychic-types that give Weezing trouble, such as Azelf and Reuniclus. Dark-types also appreciate Weezing's ability to counter Fighting- and Fairy-types. Pursuit trappers such as Escavalier and Krookodile can nail Psychic-types that attempt to switch out, giving Weezing an easier time walling the opposing team. Ground-types such as Donphan and Mamoswine can take out the grounded Poison-types that try to remove Weezing's Toxic Spikes. In return, Weezing can switch into the Grass-type attacks aimed at its Ground-type teammates. Setup sweepers such as Salamence and Mega Sharpedo appreciate Weezing crippling their offensive checks with Will-O-Wisp, giving them an easier time setting up. A spinblocker such as Doublade can prevent opposing spinners from removing the Toxic Spikes that Weezing sets up. All-out attackers such as Kyurem, Pangoro, and Hydreigon enjoy having their defensive checks worn down by Toxic Spikes as well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Explosion can deal solid damage as a last resort and prevent a spinner or Defogger from removing Weezing's Toxic Spikes. Thunderbolt is an interesting option to surprise Feraligatr, Mega Aerodactyl, and Mega Pidgeot. Fire Blast is more powerful than Flamethrower, but Flamethrower is the more consistent option due to its higher PP and perfect accuracy. Clear Smog can be used over Haze in order to get past Taunt users. However, Clear Smog is blocked by Substitute and Steel-types. Memento assists a teammate with setting up, though Weezing has better things to do than sacrifice itself. Memento is, however, a decent move to use once Weezing is low on health. Toxic alongside Protect can stall out foes, but Weezing lacks room for the move.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Psychic-types**: Weezing's only weakness is to the Psychic-type. Reuniclus is Weezing's biggest threat because it is immune to any status that Weezing may inflict on it and can repeatedly set up with Calm Mind in Weezing's face. Other Psychic-types such as Azelf and Espeon can also force Weezing to switch out.

**Chandelure**: Chandelure is Weezing's second biggest threat after Reuniclus. Chandelure can get a Flash Fire boost by switching into Weezing's Flamethrower or Will-O-Wisp, resists Sludge Bomb, and can repeatedly set up on Weezing with Substitute and Calm Mind.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Because Weezing is not very specially bulky, powerful special attackers such as Chandelure, Porygon-Z, and Hydreigon can deal serious damage to it.

**Fast Taunt Users**: Fast Pokemon with access to Taunt, such as Crobat, Tornadus, Azelf, Mega Aerodactyl, and Krookodile, can shut down most of Weezing's moves and force it out of the battlefield.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers**: If Weezing is not carrying Haze, bulky setup sweepers such as Suicune can set up on Weezing with ease. Even if Weezing has Haze, the foe can hit Weezing hard as it tries to use the move.

**Entry Hazard Removers**: Empoleon is immune to Toxic Spikes, can use Defog to remove Weezing's Toxic Spikes, and forces out Weezing with the threat of Scald. Mega Blastoise can also remove Toxic Spikes and threaten Weezing with a fully invested STAB Scald, but Mega Blastoise dislikes being poisoned. Grounded Poison-types such as Dragalge and Nidoking can remove Toxic Spikes simply by switching in and then proceed to hit Weezing with a powerful special attack.

**Magic Bounce Users**: Espeon and Mega Absol can bounce back Weezing's Toxic Spikes and Will-O-Wisp, making it a liability.

Last edited:

Empress

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok- finished everything.
To QC: if you notice yourself making too many edits, do not hesitate to reassign this.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
  • I don't think Will-O-Wisp should be slashed with anything. It's one of Weezing's best traits and one of the things that makes it such a good physical wall. So I reckon Sludge Bomb should be slashed with Flamethrower instead as it hits the Steel-types that are not affected by Toxic Spikes. Also you've mentioned Fire Blast in the Moves section, I think you meant Flamethrower.
  • RestTalk definitely deserves a mention in Team Options to make it a very durable physical wall that can repeatedly switch into the likes of Mienshao and Heracross. It can also absorb sleep from the likes of Roserade and Amoongus. Would fit excellently on more stallish teams.
  • Also don't slash Taunt on the main set, it's a pretty niche option. Just a mention in Set Comments is fine. Chesnaught and Umbreon dislike Toxic Spikes anyway.
  • Magic Bounce users like Espeon and Mega Absol are worth a mention in C&C as they can reflect back Toxic Spikes and Will-O-Wisp.
QC 1/3 after the above has been implemented. Nice work!

**Strong Special Attackers**: Because Weezing is not very bulky on the physical side, powerful special attackers such as Chandelure, Porygon-Z, and Hydreigon can deal serious damage to it.
Not QC obviously, but I think I should point this out that you meant to write "special" instead of "physical"

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
  • I don't think Will-O-Wisp should be slashed with anything. It's one of Weezing's best traits and one of the things that makes it such a good physical wall. So I reckon Sludge Bomb should be slashed with Flamethrower instead as it hits the Steel-types that are not affected by Toxic Spikes. Also you've mentioned Fire Blast in the Moves section, I think you meant Flamethrower.
  • RestTalk definitely deserves a mention in Team Options to make it a very durable physical wall that can repeatedly switch into the likes of Mienshao and Heracross. It can also absorb sleep from the likes of Roserade and Amoongus. Would fit excellently on more stallish teams.
  • Also don't slash Taunt on the main set, it's a pretty niche option. Just a mention in Set Comments is fine. Chesnaught and Umbreon dislike Toxic Spikes anyway.
  • Magic Bounce users like Espeon and Mega Absol are worth a mention in C&C as they can reflect back Toxic Spikes and Will-O-Wisp.
QC 1/3 after the above has been implemented. Nice work!
"RestTalk deserves a mention in Team Options" did you mean OO?

Not QC obviously Snobalt but I feel you could expand on the Dark-types in the teammates section to being Dark-, Bug- and Ghost types as they all hit Psychic-types for super effective damage as their STAB. You could then mention how Dark-types are the best out of all three for the role as they are immune to Psychic-type attacks and can heavily damage Psychic-types that attempt to switch-out via Pursuit. I would mention bulky setup sweepers in C&C as they setup against Weezing not carrying Haze and even if Weezing has Haze they can usually hit it hard when it tries to use it. I would mention Chandelure specifically in C&C as it is gets a boost everytime Weezing attempts to use Will-O-Wisp or Flamethrower, resists Sludge Bomb, and can setup on Weezing with SubCM. I would also mention Ground-types as good partners to Weezing as they hit grounded Poison-types that remove Toxic Spikes for super effective damage and Weezing resists Grass-type attacks aimed at them. Krookodile could probably get a special mention here for having a Psychic-type immunity. In Usage Tips I would mention some of the Physical Sweepers it deals with such as DD Gatr and SD Lucario. Also correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Weezing should only be used on Stall teams.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah I meant OO, not Team Options my bad! Also agree with all of Kreme's points. I would also mention Escavalier along with Krookodile in Team Options for its ability to nail Psychic-types that attempt to switch out with Pursuit. Well I haven't personally used it but I think it could find a place on balance as well as a nice defensive pivot. Toxic Spikes, Will-O-Wisp and Taunt are all excellent support options that threaten offensive and defensive teams alike.

Intro: eh I would hesitate to call it "one of the best physical walls in the tier" lol. Just leave it as underrated but reliable or something. Also Haze should be removed from here since it's not central to Weezing's set; replace it with WoW.

Moves: Sub SD Cobalion should be mentioned as a reason to use Flamethrower.

Remove the thing about RestTalk completely from Other Options. Mention Thunderbolt as a decent option to hit Feraligatr with, and it also hits Pidgeot and Mega Aero so that's nice. The rest of it looks good!

Edit for IB: reason I wanted RestTalk off is that Weezing is already a niche mon that only really covers a few out of the tier's many many threats, and I feel that dedicating a whole slot on stall to RestTalk Weezing - who only has two more slots to support its team appropriately - is a waste when you could be using Fighting checks that offer a lot more to a stall team.

Last edited:

Empress

Intro: eh I would hesitate to call it "one of the best physical walls in the tier" lol. Just leave it as underrated but reliable or something. Also Haze should be removed from here since it's not central to Weezing's set; replace it with WoW.

Moves: Sub SD Cobalion should be mentioned as a reason to use Flamethrower.

Remove the thing about RestTalk completely from Other Options. Mention Thunderbolt as a decent option to hit Feraligatr with, and it also hits Pidgeot and Mega Aero so that's nice. The rest of it looks good!
Did all of this.
Is that 3/3? And was this analysis non-shitty?

queez

wandering and wondering
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Additions
Removals
Comments

[OVERVIEW]

Don't underestimate Weezing,;(comma -> semicolon) ("as due" is awkward) as due thanks to its solid mono-Poison typing, Levitate, and high Defense, it is a very reliable physical wall in the UU tier. Its resistance to Fighting-type moves is especially useful,(add comma) as the in a tier is filled with offensive Fighting-types such as Mienshao, Lucario, Infernape, and Machamp. Thank to Weezing's decent Special Attack and access to Will-O-Wisp, it is not setup bait like most dedicated walls are. Couple that with Weezing's ability to wall foes and provide some momentum at the same time, and it makes for a solid choice on your stall team or even your balance team.

Unfortunately, Weezing's low Special Defense means that allows special attackers to shut it down completely. Weezing also lacks reliable recovery, which is detrimental to its capabilities as a wall, as Pain Split can only help so much. Its low Speed also means that it'll nearly always have to take a hit before it is able to do anything.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Toxic Spikes poisons foes as they enter the battlefield, making them easier for Weezing or its teammates to wear down. Sludge Bomb is a reliable STAB attack that prevents Weezing from becoming setup bait and allows it to inflict poison on foes without using Toxic Spikes. Alternatively, Flamethrower can be used to directly punish Steel-types, such as Mega Aggron, Forretress, and Cobalion. It is especially useful to prevent Substitute + Swords Dance Cobalion from setting up on Weezing. Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers that attempt to use Weezing as setup bait. Pain Split is Weezing's best option for recovery, while Haze makes foes unable to try to set up against Weezing. Alternatively, Taunt is an option to stallbreak against opposing walls, though Weezing is too slow to use the move reliably.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defense investment with a Bold nature allows Weezing to take on the vast majority of physical attackers in the UU tier. If running Taunt, 44 EVs in Speed can be used to hit uninvested Chesnaught and Umbreon with Taunt, preventing them from stalling out Weezing. Black Sludge gives Weezing passive recovery, allowing it to remain on the battlefield for a bit longer. Alternatively, Rocky Helmet can punish physical attackers and Knock Off users, but Weezing misses needs its reliable recovery and becomes overly reliant on Pain Split. Levitate removes Weezing's Ground weakness and allows it to switch in on Ground-type attacks and Spikes without worry.

Usage Tips
========

Weezing works best as a an early- to mid-game wall. To get it in safely and successfully the battlefield, pivot Weezing into powerful physical attacks to absorb the hit and stifle opposing momentum. Be sure to use it to deal with many threatening physical sweepers, including boosting ones such as Feraligatr and Lucario. In most cases, set up Toxic Spikes on the predicted switch. However, if you suspect that the opponent will bring in a wall, cripple it with Will-O-Wisp. If you predict the opponent will switch in a Steel-type, nail it with Flamethrower. If running Taunt, use the move to stallbreak against dedicated walls such as Blissey, Umbreon, and Chesnaught (didn't move this to Other Options because the other info was enough).

Team Options
========

Specially defensive clerics such as Umbreon, Blissey, Vaporeon, and Florges make for perfect teammates. They give Weezing a more reliable method of recovery than Pain Split and can take the special attacks that it has trouble surviving. Dark-, Ghost-, and Bug-types, such as Mega Absol, Doublade, and Mega Beedrill, respectively, can nail the Psychic-types that give Weezing trouble, such as Azelf and Reuniclus. Dark-types also appreciate Weezing's ability to counter Fighting- and Fairy-types. Pursuit trappers such as Escavalier and Krookodile can nail Psychic-types that attempt to switch out, giving Weezing an easier time walling the opposing team. Ground-types such as Donphan and Mamoswine can take out the grounded Poison-types that try to remove Weezing's Toxic Spikes. In return, Weezing can switch into the Grass-type attacks aimed at its Ground-type teammates. Setup sweepers such as Salamence and Mega Sharpedo appreciate Weezing crippling their offensive checks with Will-O-Wisp, giving them an easier time setting up. A spinblocker such as Doublade can prevent opposing spinners from removing the Toxic Spikes that Weezing sets up. All-out attackers such as Kyurem, Pangoro, and Hydreigon enjoy having their defensive checks worn down by Toxic Spikes as well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Explosion can deal solid damage as a last resort and prevent a spinner or Defogger from removing Weezing's Toxic Spikes. Thunderbolt is an interesting option to surprise Feraligatr, Mega Aerodactyl, and Mega Pidgeot. Fire Blast is more powerful than Flamethrower, but Flamethrower is the more consistent option due to its higher PP and perfect better accuracy. Clear Smog can be used over Haze in order to get past Taunt users. However, Clear Smog is blocked by Substitute and Steel-types. Memento allows assists a teammate with setting up to enter the battlefield and set up, though Weezing has better things to do than to sacrifice itself. Memento is, however, a decent move to use once Weezing is low on health. Toxic alongside Protect can stall out foes, but Weezing lacks room for the move.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Psychic-types**: Weezing's only weakness is to the Psychic-type. Reuniclus is Weezing's biggest threat because it is immune to any status that Weezing may inflict on it and can repeatedly set up with Calm Mind in Weezing's face. Other Psychic-types such as Azelf and Espeon can also force Weezing to switch out.

**Chandelure**: Chandelure is Weezing's second biggest threat after Reuniclus. Chandelure can get a Flash Fire boost by switching into Weezing's Flamethrower or Will-O-Wisp, resists Sludge Bomb, and can repeatedly set up on Weezing with the combination of (not an extremely necessary change but eh) Substitute and Calm Mind.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Because Weezing is not very bulky on the special side, powerful special attackers such as Chandelure, Porygon-Z, and Hydreigon can deal serious damage to it.

**Fast Taunt Users**: Fast Pokemon with access to Taunt, such as Crobat, Tornadus, Azelf, Mega Aerodactyl, and Krookodile,(remove comma) can shut down most of Weezing's moves and force it out of the battlefield.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers**: If Weezing is not carrying Haze, bulky setup sweepers such as Suicune can set up on Weezing with ease. Even if Weezing has Haze, the foe can hit Weezing hard as it tries to use the move.

**Entry Hazard Removers**: Empoleon is immune to Toxic Spikes, can use Defog to remove Weezing's Toxic Spikes, and forces out Weezing with the threat of Scald. Mega Blastoise can also remove Toxic Spikes and threaten Weezing with a fully invested STAB Scald, but Mega Blastoise dislikes being poisoned. Grounded Poison-types such as Dragalge and Nidoking can remove Toxic Spikes simply by switching in and then proceed to hit Weezing with a powerful special attack.

**Magic Bounce Users**: Espeon and Mega Absol can bounce back Weezing's Toxic Spikes and Will-O-Wisp, making it a liability.

GP 1/2 my friend

edit: lol I originally moved a bunch of stuff to other options but I changed that

Last edited:

Empress

Additions
Removals
Comments

[OVERVIEW]

Don't underestimate Weezing,;(comma -> semicolon) ("as due" is awkward) as due thanks to its solid mono-Poison typing, Levitate, and high Defense, it is a very reliable physical wall in the UU tier. Its resistance to Fighting-type moves is especially useful,(add comma) as the in a tier is filled with offensive Fighting-types such as Mienshao, Lucario, Infernape, and Machamp. Thank to Weezing's decent Special Attack and access to Will-O-Wisp, it is not setup bait like most dedicated walls are. Couple that with Weezing's ability to wall foes and provide some momentum at the same time, and it makes for a solid choice on your stall team or even your balance team.

Unfortunately, Weezing's low Special Defense means that allows special attackers to shut it down completely. Weezing also lacks reliable recovery, which is detrimental to its capabilities as a wall, as Pain Split can only help so much. Its low Speed also means that it'll nearly always have to take a hit before it is able to do anything.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Toxic Spikes poisons foes as they enter the battlefield, making them easier for Weezing or its teammates to wear down. Sludge Bomb is a reliable STAB attack that prevents Weezing from becoming setup bait and allows it to inflict poison on foes without using Toxic Spikes. Alternatively, Flamethrower can be used to directly punish Steel-types, such as Mega Aggron, Forretress, and Cobalion. It is especially useful to prevent Substitute + Swords Dance Cobalion from setting up on Weezing. Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers that attempt to use Weezing as setup bait. Pain Split is Weezing's best option for recovery, while Haze makes foes unable to try to set up against Weezing. Alternatively, Taunt is an option to stallbreak against opposing walls, though Weezing is too slow to use the move reliably.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defense investment with a Bold nature allows Weezing to take on the vast majority of physical attackers in the UU tier. If running Taunt, 44 EVs in Speed can be used to hit uninvested Chesnaught and Umbreon with Taunt, preventing them from stalling out Weezing. Black Sludge gives Weezing passive recovery, allowing it to remain on the battlefield for a bit longer. Alternatively, Rocky Helmet can punish physical attackers and Knock Off users, but Weezing misses needs its reliable recovery and becomes overly reliant on Pain Split. Levitate removes Weezing's Ground weakness and allows it to switch in on Ground-type attacks and Spikes without worry.

Usage Tips
========

Weezing works best as a an early- to mid-game wall. To get it in safely and successfully the battlefield, pivot Weezing into powerful physical attacks to absorb the hit and stifle opposing momentum. Be sure to use it to deal with many threatening physical sweepers, including boosting ones such as Feraligatr and Lucario. In most cases, set up Toxic Spikes on the predicted switch. However, if you suspect that the opponent will bring in a wall, cripple it with Will-O-Wisp. If you predict the opponent will switch in a Steel-type, nail it with Flamethrower. If running Taunt, use the move to stallbreak against dedicated walls such as Blissey, Umbreon, and Chesnaught (didn't move this to Other Options because the other info was enough).

Team Options
========

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Explosion can deal solid damage as a last resort and prevent a spinner or Defogger from removing Weezing's Toxic Spikes. Thunderbolt is an interesting option to surprise Feraligatr, Mega Aerodactyl, and Mega Pidgeot. Fire Blast is more powerful than Flamethrower, but Flamethrower is the more consistent option due to its higher PP and perfect better accuracy. Clear Smog can be used over Haze in order to get past Taunt users. However, Clear Smog is blocked by Substitute and Steel-types. Memento allows assists a teammate with setting up to enter the battlefield and set up, though Weezing has better things to do than to sacrifice itself. Memento is, however, a decent move to use once Weezing is low on health. Toxic alongside Protect can stall out foes, but Weezing lacks room for the move.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Chandelure**: Chandelure is Weezing's second biggest threat after Reuniclus. Chandelure can get a Flash Fire boost by switching into Weezing's Flamethrower or Will-O-Wisp, resists Sludge Bomb, and can repeatedly set up on Weezing with the combination of (not an extremely necessary change but eh) Substitute and Calm Mind.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Because Weezing is not very bulky on the special side, powerful special attackers such as Chandelure, Porygon-Z, and Hydreigon can deal serious damage to it.

**Fast Taunt Users**: Fast Pokemon with access to Taunt, such as Crobat, Tornadus, Azelf, Mega Aerodactyl, and Krookodile,(remove comma) can shut down most of Weezing's moves and force it out of the battlefield.

GP 1/2 my friend

edit: lol I originally moved a bunch of stuff to other options but I changed that
Thanks man; most changes implemented.
- In Moves, I changed "enter" to "switch in" b/c just leaving it as "as they enter" sounded awkward.
- In OO, I kept "perfect" over "better" b/c I want to make it clear that Flamethrower has 100 accuracy and Fire Blast doesn't.
- In Fast Taunt Users, I kept the comma b/c there was a comma after "...with access to Taunt."

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2 :]
[OVERVIEW]

Don't underestimate Weezing; thanks to its solid mono-Poison typing, Levitate, and high Defense, it is a very reliable physical wall in the UU tier. Its resistance to Fighting-type moves is especially useful, as the tier is filled with offensive Fighting-types such as Mienshao, Lucario, Infernape, and Machamp. Thanks to Weezing's decent Special Attack and access to Will-O-Wisp, it is not setup bait like most dedicated walls are. Couple that with Weezing's ability to wall foes and provide some momentum at the same time, and it makes for a solid choice on your stall or balance team.

Unfortunately, Weezing's low Special Defense allows special attackers to shut it down completely. Weezing also lacks reliable recovery, which is detrimental to its capabilities as a wall, as Pain Split can only help so much. Its low Speed also means that it'll nearly always have to take a hit before it is able to do anything.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Toxic Spikes poisons foes as they switch in, making them easier to wear down. Sludge Bomb prevents Weezing from becoming setup bait and allows it to inflict poison on foes without using Toxic Spikes. Alternatively, Flamethrower can be used to directly punish Steel-types, such as Mega Aggron, Forretress, and Cobalion. It is especially useful to prevent Substitute + Swords Dance Cobalion from setting up on Weezing. Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers that attempt to use Weezing as setup bait. Pain Split is Weezing's best option for recovery, while Haze makes foes unable to try to set up against Weezing. Alternatively, Taunt is an option to stallbreak against opposing walls, though Weezing is too slow to use the move reliably.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defense investment with a Bold nature allows Weezing to take on several physical attackers in the UU tier. If running Taunt, 44 EVs in Speed can be used to hit uninvested Chesnaught and Umbreon with Taunt, preventing them from stalling out Weezing. Black Sludge gives Weezing passive recovery, allowing it to remain on the battlefield for a bit longer. Alternatively, Rocky Helmet can punish physical attackers and Knock Off users, but Weezing needs its reliable recovery and becomes overly reliant on Pain Split. Levitate removes Weezing's Ground weakness and allows it to switch in on Ground-type attacks and Spikes without worry.

Usage Tips
========

Weezing works best as an early- to ("or" or "and"; ctrl-f "early-game" in the Spelling and Grammar Standards for reasoning!) mid-game wall. To get it in safely and successfully, pivot Weezing into powerful physical attacks to absorb the hit and stifle opposing momentum. Be sure to use it to deal with many threatening physical sweepers, including boosting ones such as Feraligatr and Lucario. In most cases, set up Toxic Spikes on the predicted switch. However, if you suspect that the opponent will bring in a wall, cripple it with Will-O-Wisp. If you predict the opponent will switch in a Steel-type, nail it with Flamethrower.

Team Options
========

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Explosion can deal solid damage as a last resort and prevent a spinner or Defogger from removing Weezing's Toxic Spikes. Thunderbolt is an interesting option to surprise Feraligatr, Mega Aerodactyl, and Mega Pidgeot. Fire Blast is more powerful than Flamethrower, but Flamethrower is the more consistent option due to its higher PP and perfect accuracy. Clear Smog can be used over Haze in order to get past Taunt users. However, Clear Smog is blocked by Substitute and Steel-types. Memento assists a teammate with setting up, though Weezing has better things to do than to sacrifice itself. Memento is, however, a decent move to use once Weezing is low on health. Toxic alongside Protect can stall out foes, but Weezing lacks room for the move.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Chandelure**: Chandelure is Weezing's second biggest threat after Reuniclus. Chandelure can get a Flash Fire boost by switching into Weezing's Flamethrower or Will-O-Wisp, resists Sludge Bomb, and can repeatedly set up on Weezing with Substitute and Calm Mind.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Because Weezing is not very specially bulky on the special side, (no sides bc that implies there's a middle ground, or so i've been told) powerful special attackers such as Chandelure, Porygon-Z, and Hydreigon can deal serious damage to it.

**Fast Taunt Users**: Fast Pokemon with access to Taunt, such as Crobat, Tornadus, Azelf, Mega Aerodactyl, and Krookodile, can shut down most of Weezing's moves and force it out of the battlefield.

Last edited:

Empress

GP 2/2 :]
[OVERVIEW]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Weezing works best as an early- to ("or" or "and"; ctrl-f "early-game" in the Spelling and Grammar Standards for reasoning!) mid-game wall. To get it in safely and successfully, pivot Weezing into powerful physical attacks to absorb the hit and stifle opposing momentum. Be sure to use it to deal with many threatening physical sweepers, including boosting ones such as Feraligatr and Lucario. In most cases, set up Toxic Spikes on the predicted switch. However, if you suspect that the opponent will bring in a wall, cripple it with Will-O-Wisp. If you predict the opponent will switch in a Steel-type, nail it with Flamethrower.

Team Options
========

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Explosion can deal solid damage as a last resort and prevent a spinner or Defogger from removing Weezing's Toxic Spikes. Thunderbolt is an interesting option to surprise Feraligatr, Mega Aerodactyl, and Mega Pidgeot. Fire Blast is more powerful than Flamethrower, but Flamethrower is the more consistent option due to its higher PP and perfect accuracy. Clear Smog can be used over Haze in order to get past Taunt users. However, Clear Smog is blocked by Substitute and Steel-types. Memento assists a teammate with setting up, though Weezing has better things to do than to sacrifice itself. Memento is, however, a decent move to use once Weezing is low on health. Toxic alongside Protect can stall out foes, but Weezing lacks room for the move.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Strong Special Attackers**: Because Weezing is not very specially bulky on the special side, (no sides bc that implies there's a middle ground, or so i've been told) powerful special attackers such as Chandelure, Porygon-Z, and Hydreigon can deal serious damage to it.

Done and ready for upload!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)