General What brought you to Smogon?

I've come to Smogon to learn about the competitive community and competitive battling as a whole, not to mention most of my friends aren't very 'cool' with Pokemon anymore. I've been playing with Smogon rules for a long time but just created an account today.

I found Smogon through team building on ORAS. The knowledge was the most appealing thing to me. I plan on staying for a while and I'm looking forward to doing work for the community!

Since I can remember, Smogon is the biggest authority when it come to Pokémon.
Your rules are followed by everyone and that's because you do a very good job in making the metagame as balanced as possible.
I've always been a fan of Pokémon, played since Red version, I didn't have a Game Boy but I had a N64, a Pokemon Stadium and Transfer Pak.
Later I bought Pokémon Stadium 2 and received pokémon Silver from an old friend.
I had a GBA, and in DS was the first time I started playing competitively, It was quite a discover for me,
a game that seemed so simple had such a rich metagame. I don't know why I didn't do this before,
but I believe I can learn a lot from you guys. I already changed a bit my original team following some suggestions from RMT section,
where I posted my team and I've seem a progress, my team is more balanced and has a better performance generally talking,
I hope one day I will be able to help newcomers the same way I was helped and become a better trainer with time.
Thanks for reading my Wall of Post :)

I want to get into the competitive scene and I also am really interested in the Uber tier. This will probably be my only comment ever, but I love to learn different sets. I'll probably also get into OU as well.

I want to get into the competitive scene and I also am really interested in the Uber tier. This will probably be my only comment ever, but I love to learn different sets. I'll probably also get into OU as well.
I would recommend starting in OU before moving to Uber.
OU is by far the most played metagame, you'll see the good, the bad and the ugly strategies,
sometimes you'll see that your favorite pokémons aren't as good as you once tought,
sometimes you'll start using strategies you'll once tought were despicable,
but you'll have opportunity to see a lot from your mistakes and incorporate good strategies to your teams,
you'll learn to see the difference between experienced players from the ones who aren't and
will have a great opportunity of growth, thing that wouldn't be as good starting from Ubers.

Started on Gen 1, so long time Pokemon fan, never played competitively until I stumbled on PS not too long ago. I'm mostly on Smogon to lurk and get a little better at battling, and because there's some pretty cool people on here I've come to be friends with mostly Goddess Briyella. I play alot of OM's and was 11th on the Balanced Hackmons ladder for a while before all the ladders reset and I enjoy Triples, Little Cup, Almost Any Ability, various others.

I would recommend starting in OU before moving to Uber.
OU is by far the most played metagame, you'll see the good, the bad and the ugly strategies,
sometimes you'll see that your favorite pokémons aren't as good as you once tought,
sometimes you'll start using strategies you'll once tought were despicable,
but you'll have opportunity to see a lot from your mistakes and incorporate good strategies to your teams,
you'll learn to see the difference between experienced players from the ones who aren't and
will have a great opportunity of growth, thing that wouldn't be as good starting from Ubers.
I appreciate the advice! Thank you!

My friend pointed this site out to me. It seemed kind of interesting. I'd seen strategy on forums before but the site seemed to be all about strategy and competition and such. I came here out of curiosity. I'm not sure how long I will stay but I wanted to learn more about the game. I want to know about IV's (only really learned about EV's recently) and genuine strategy for battling instead of the method I use now, which is use a high attack pokemon with a high damage attack and swing. I'd like to find out about the tiers that pokemon are classified under for competitions. Basically I want to know enough so I don't feel like a complete noob if I am looking through pokemon forums. Just looking to learn a bit and if anything comes of it (becoming part of a community or becoming competitive), all the better.

Smogon! I've been coming here for years the lurking user I am. I was a Marriland person during Gen 4 days, but always played on Smogon Servers for games such as Shoddy Battle. I discovered PS! July 22nd, 2013 and became a part of the sports room. Quickly I became staff of the room due to my obsession to sports, and it being the only room i would visit. At the end of May 2014, i was told to make a Smogon account for the sports staff chat and here I am. Since then i have been a regular user of Smogon and many PS! rooms!

Well, I have been reading the forums from quite a while (around 2 years) and sometimes I wanted to post opinions on some topics or post my teams and get some advice in what I could do to make them better. But most of all it was because I wanted to learn more about competitive pokemon in general. I discovered Pokemon Showdown thanks to a group of friends who introduced me to the world of playing pokemon competitively.

I only played showdown for a while towards the end of gen 5 but played a lot more since gen 6 and finally decided to make a account and participate in the smogon comunity directly.

What attracted me here was the knowledge. I love to battle, but at first I had no idea what EV's or IV's were. When OR came out I felt like I wanted to battle for real and be competitive. After doing my research on the best sites to do so, smogon was always the answer I found. So here I am

I don't really have an elaborate story. I've never done competitive battling before, but it looks very interesting and I wanted to learn more. I don't know what initially led me to look into Smogon, whether it was an ad on another website, a suggestion on an app, a youtube video, or a friend recommending it.

Heard about it on a YouTube video. I liked what you guys had to offer and I have used the Garchomp builds extensively. Seemed rude not to join up (at last!)

I used to play the TCG competitively, and that of course means I played the video games, and I started looking around for simulators for the VGC, and found PS! through Smogon. That was a few years ago, and just recently I've made this account. Nice to meet everyone.

I know some people who fell in love with the smogon community (but they don't play pokemon much anymore these days) while looking for a fun competitive pokemon community, I remembered Smogon & pokemon showdown.

So far this seems like a rather nice place to learn Compev and make friends

I had joined Smogon when I first started playing Pokemon competitively. I used to only lurk here but then Pokemon Showdown was born, and I became part of that, which led to me becoming an active user on Smogon. Several badges and over 2000 posts later, I am still here!

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus
It all started when I wanted to join Jeopardy for the academics room. SteelEdges said I had to make an account. So I did.

Hmm. I'd say ultimately what lead me to Smogon was Pokemon, but that's too obvious. Perfectly honest, It's Pokemon Showdown that lead me to Smogon. My earlier (and still somewhat present) thoughts about Smogon before would've never brought me here. As I played Omega Ruby, it made me want to play with my brother who doesn't have a copy. This lead to Bulbapedia, where I searched for a decent remedy. This lead me to Pokemon Showdown, where after enough searching and studying, I got to play with him. This, being so close to Smogon, led me to Smogon, where I thought to study the meta and learn what pokemon were popular, and inversely, what pokemon I wanted to use(I generally don't like whatever everyone else likes and vice-versa). After some reading on Smogon, I began to doubt the prejudice I held against it, and I figured stepping into the community is a good way to figure out whether I was wrong with my prejudice or not.As for whether I stay, like every forum, that depends on two things. The quality of the community, and the quality of the roleplaying section. I have yet to see good or bad on either

New member of Smogon, I,ve been playing pokemon forever but i just started competitive battling from pokemon ORAS. kinda lost around the Smogon website.

I watched some Youtube Vids about competitive Pokemon battling which caught my eye, one of them (Pyrotoz) played Pokemon Showdown and talked about Smogon tiers, I was a bit intimidated at first being an absolute scrub (didn't even know how IV or EV worked) so I decided to watch him and learn as well as teach myself and read a little first. Now I am thoroughly enjoying building teams and watching competitive battles I want to learn more so I made an account here :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)