Project What's Their Last? PU Edition Round 6 (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
approved by Taskr and Megazard, art by King Cacturne

A long time ago, back when DPP was the current gen, and there was no team preview, the above question was often asked. You had to be prepared for anything in that last slot and use your deductive teambuilding skills to figure out just what your opponent was saving in the back. Still today, we can use these skills to better build our own teams. When building, there will be times when you have 5 perfect Pokemon. Mons that fit together so well that you just can't seem to pick a final Pokemon. Or sometimes you have a crippling weakness to a major threat and can't think of a mon that will cover it that fits the team. This project aims to let the community figure out what the best last Pokemon would be for a given team of 5.

Every round, I will post a team that is missing one Pokemon. You guys will then post suggestions for the final mon. Over the next few days, these nominations will be discussed amongst the users until voting begins. Once the vote starts, people will choose the last mon that they think fits the rest of the team best. At the end of the round, the Pokemon with the most votes will be the winner! The team will be archived, and the user who suggested the set will have his or her name alongside the team. Think of this as a lesson in team building!

RULES:
1. Standard PU forum rules apply. No flaming/antagonizing please. Also no one liners please.
2. No joke sets. Sets that are plain bad/unviable are not welcome.
3. No slashing in your suggestions. You can't have 5 moves in a battle, why here?
4. Only one nomination per person, per round. Can't suggest more than one mon.
5. No changing the other members of the team, INCLUDING SETS. Only I can change the team and movesets.
6. Voting for your own nomination is NOT ALLOWED.
7. Please PM me if you have a team you would like featured, or just want to help out. These have to come from somewhere!
8. Have Fun :3

Last edited:
You can post guys, this is the first team!

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 196 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Drain Punch
- Stealth Rock

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Facade

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Ice Beam

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Rapid Spin

Quagsire @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Curse
- Recover
- Earthquake

Oricorio-Sensu @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Calm Mind
- Revelation Dance

This team lacks a good check to Lilligant and also a z-move user so I think Sensu is a good fit. The team also already has a good check to opposing flying types in Regirock which is why I think sensu fits better than pom pom would.

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Roselia fits fairly well on the team, as it helps check Lilligant, as well as other potential threats such as Ludicolo, and lets you play more loosely against Jellicent. The team becomes focused around bulky SpikeStack, with complimentary Rapid Spin support in Hitmonchan, that makes up for the somewhat lacking speed overall. The rest of the team also isn’t lacking in physical bulk, so breakers that could abuse Roselia’s poor defense can be checked by its teammates.​

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor

Simisear @ Grassium Z
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot

So like the others, I think this team lacks a Lilligant check and like Taskr, I noticed it also lacks a Z-move. Simisear is a great choice imo, and can really help Stoutland by handling bulky rocks like opposing Regirock, Quagsire, etc. that make it harder to spam Frustration. Also gives the team a little more specially offensive presence since while Mesprit is good, the entire team can't rely on it to break through physdef walls.

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/lilligant.gif

Lilligant @ Grassium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I think the last could be a Lilligant. Stout + Lilligant is a pretty great offensive core, as well as having scarf healing wish Mesprit there to reliably help out both. The team doesn't have much speed control so Lilligant can somewhat make up for that with the use of sleep powder, allowing it to get more set up opportunities. Which is why I don't think it's 3 attacks. Regirock being there also makes me think the last is Lilligant. Regi isn't the most common thing anymore, so the Pom Pom match up might have been a bit shaky. So they threw it on for a reliable flying resist, and Lilligant really appreciates that.

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch

I would personally advocate for Skuntank as the last member of this squad. Skuntank's typing allows it to help check specially offensive threats like Lilligant, Haunter and Mesprit and provides the team with a way of absorbing Toxic Spikes for Regirock and Quagsire, which is something Hitmonchan struggles to deal with without being worn down.
Its priority Sucker Punch gives the team some needed speed control revenge killing faster Pokémon like Raichu-Alola and Simisear when necessary.

As Hitmonchan is already fairly solid hazard control, Taunt is used instead of Defog to block Will-O-Wisp from Jellicent, Shell Smash from Carracosta etc. as well as helping the team with the Stall matchup, blocking Audino from wishpassing, Pyukumuku from functioning at all etc.

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Drampa @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

Given how the above team looks, it's a bulky offense team that is big time asking for Lilligant to come in and destroy it. Lilligant just got sent to S rank in the VR and rightfully so knowing it just comes in and QDs and says gg to opposing teams. Giga Drain/Energy Ball is the STAB move of choice on it while the coverage move can vary. Some people run HP Fire for Alolaslash and opposing Lilligant. HP Rock is for Scyther and possibly Articuno. There's also Z-Hyper Beam which nukes something that doesn't resist it.

Drampa is just one mon that can come in on a Giga/EBall, Sleep Powder, or HP move and just laugh. If Lilligant is running Z-Hyper Beam however, Drampa could go down to a +1 Blitz if at full w/rocks damage first.

+1 252 SpA Lilligant Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Drampa: 314-370 (94.8 - 111.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

But given the off chance that it's not running it, Drampa wins 99% of the time since it absorbs the Grass moves and takes little from the Hidden Power moves and OHKOs with 1 Draco or 1 Fire Blast

252+ SpA Choice Specs Drampa Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lilligant: 456-537 (162.2 - 191.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Drampa Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lilligant: 514-606 (182.9 - 215.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

These calcs apply only if Lilligant hasn't QD'd. They both still OHKO if at +1 SpDef!​

Last edited:

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Taunt

I'm scared to post this because I saw someone saying Taunt on the Calm Mind Set would be bad, however, I think it fits perfectly in here. The team lacks a potent Stallbreaker and the fact that Stoutland is in that team supports my theory about Pompom because it lures in Flying Type checks that Stallteams like to run (like Regirock, Spdef Aggron or Carbink) and chips them. Of course that's not a good way of dealing with stall at all but for what is given, it might be the only way.
Additionally, like some have mentioned before me, the team is food for Lilligant; every team needs at least two checks for it. So Pompom compresses that role nicely too. Opposing special water types (especially in rain) can be threatenning as well. The Taunt set allows Oricorio to shut down at least Mesprit as a setter and set up own Calm Minds before something like Ludi or Omastar comes in.

Last edited:

Oathkeeper

is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Giga Drain: Not a whole lot
Z-Hyper Beam: Nothing
HP Fire: ......ok
HP Rock/Ice: The only real problem
QD: Follow suit unless asleep

All of this is a recipe for beating Lilligant

Last edited:
The winner of the first round is Taskr! grats :heart:
R2 is up and this is the team!

Omastar @ Waterium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Gunk Shot

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off

Oathkeeper

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Now I know that the mon that could be threatening this team isn't common but Z-Me First Pinsir (if given the opportunity) can beat this team. Gurdurr can't do much to it except for EQ but even then Gurdurr has Bulk Up and will win 1v1 with Drain Punch to recover despite the Bug typing and physical bulk.​

Last edited:

Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Head Smash
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake​

I think the team needs a physical breaker. The only ways for the team to break through the likes of Audino/Eelektross is Primeape and through Clefairy is Roselia (and I guess Primeape's Gunk). Aggron would help patching up those offensive holes.
Additionaly, the team needs a Normal/Rock resist that isn't Mesprit since it cannot deal with Kang, Lycanroc or Stoutland alone so Aggron can help out here too. That it also resists Ice and Psychic type attacks, which the team has problems with dealing, is a nice side effect but not something to rely on.

Last edited:
Sandslash-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 208 SpD / 48 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

Team currently lacks hazard control, and spdef Sandslash is good because rapid spin keeps your spikes/rocks up, and Ori-Sensu can't safely spinblock it.
Sorry for no sprite btw

Hi I exist (Dugtrio-Alola) @ Leftovers
Ability: Tangling Hair
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Substitute

I think no hazard control is possible for a team focused around spikes, having no rock weak Pokemon, and having two Levitate users. The current team is also suspiciously slow outside of Primeape, and really struggles with Oricorio-Pom-Pom. Alolan Dugtrio provides another physical attacker that also abuses the hazard stack to wear down various bulky Pokemon even faster to allow its teammates to clean. Toxic also helps the team beat down Pom-Pom in tandem with Eelektross, and provides another potential revenge killer to safely rid of Pokemon like Simisear.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)