Project What's Their Last? v3 Cycle 6: Tapu Lele Spikes Stack (SubmissionPhase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greninja @ Waterium Z
Timd Nature
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power Fire
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes

Without looking at the sets, there are a few mons that can fill in the last spot. From the top of my head, AV Magearna, Zygarde, and Ferrothorn can work here. But because Amoonguss is AV, I think Protean Gren works best. Gren gives the team another option for hazards in the form of Spikes, and Hydro Pump into Waterium Z can give the team an extra push into breaking opposing mons that do not resist it. Initially, I was thinking that Choice Scarf Protean could work, but after seeing at AV Amoonguss can deal with setup threats with Clear Smog, I think that a non-scarf Gren can give the team another option of speed and power.

Kartana

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance
- Defog

This team lacks a Z-Move user, a defogger, something that can set-up, and physical presence in general. Kartana fills all the holes

Attachments

Tornadus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

The team lacks a Z Move user and don't have hazard control. Tornadus-T fills the hole and form a nice Regen core with Amoonguss.
PS: Landorus-T will be much better with Punishment > Knock Off.

Thanks to Colonel M for setting up the voting.

Grats to hmsa2012 for winning votes, it was actually Greninja too, nice job.

Round 3: Chansey Balance

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Aromatherapy

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 200 HP / 140 Atk / 168 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Dance

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Curse
- Roost

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Haze

When it comes to a team archetype, Toxapex has been a near-guarantee staple in Balance since its rise in Sun and Moon. I hate this Pokemon with a passion due to its ridiculous bulk and defensive utility, but for the team above, it fulfills the defensive role for its teammates. It can eat Fire-type moves that threatens Magnzeone and Mega-Scizor, and sponge Ice-type moves that can put Torn-T and Zygarde at risk. Vice versa, Mega Scizor and Zygarde can eat up Toxapex's weaknesses (Electric, Ground, Psychic) and Mega Scizor can act as a slow pivot to get momentum going. Chansey can eat hard hitting Special Attack moves that would put Pex in danger. Regenerator allows the team to preserve its health as much as possible with little consequence, and the combination with Recover ensures that the team's "unkillable shield" can be used as much as possible to preserve the team's setup users. Toxic Spikes allow Toxapex's teammates to put pressure on opposing teams with annoying wear down damage. Haze prevents opposing setup users like Hawlucha from crippling the team. Toxapex is also a good wall against Protean Greninja, which threatens the team if it has the right coverage (HP Fire, Ice Beam, Low Kick, etc etc). The EVs of pex can be tweaked to ensure that it can take a hit from Mega Medicham, which otherwise can tear this team in half.

Heika

I may very well be the worst player on this site
is a Pre-Contributor
I may look obsessed by quag for those who saw other threads, but I really feel like this team just insta lose to stall + una quag, so I feel the last mon shall help in this match ups, either by toxic support a being a set up that can't be taken by quagsire.
So here is my suggestion :

A bulky z tapu bulu

Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 112 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

Not that much invested in spD cuz we already have chansey to be the special sponge, more over fightinium Z allow you to finish some celesteela that are not easily trap by magnezone

This team already has quite good natural bulk, but struggles against fire attacks with M-Scizor and Magnezone both KO'd by fire moves. It also lacks a Z-Move user, and doesn't have an easy time against stall (Zygarde helps, but can't break unaware users alone). Enter Heatran:

image.png

Heatran @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Against stall, with Firium Z, Heatran can break M-Sableye, a mon this team slightly struggles with, and toxic can cripple Gastrodon, Unaware Clef or Quagsire, makes Chansey easier to take out, and is a general nuisance. One could replace Toxic with Solar beam to give Tran a nuke against the aforementioned bulky water types, but I though Firium-Z was more consistently devastating a move.

Outside of facing stall, few mons can switch into Heatran. With Firium-Z it can nuke just about anything for good damage, and the trapping and passive damage off Magma Storm provides solid damage to just about anything that comes in. Heatran also appreciates the presence of Mega-Scizor and Tornadus-T as reliable switch-ins to ground type moves. In addition, the only reliable switch in on this team to Heatran itself is Zygarde (other than the rare HP Ice variants that have popped up recently), and adding max speed Heatran improves the teams matchup with opposing Heatrans, adding a second mon that is at worst a coin flip vs opposing Heatrans, and a reliable switch in to fire type moves.

Finally, the team lacks a taunt user, and can struggle a bit against bulky calm mind sweepers (Latias especially, but also Reuniculus and Clefable to a lesser extent). With taunt, toxic, and trapping Heatran can do good work against a variety of these mons too.

All in all, Heatran can fill in some of the gaps on this team, and would be a solid addition to it.

Last edited:

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Scald
- Substitute

This week was a tricky one. The team was gonna be super weak to something no matter what I put in the last slot, but at the same time the team was lacking a wincon, so I went with that as the likely last slot. I also wanted to fit in some sort of Zard X check, and something that takes advantage of Chansey's Aromatherapy, and Suicune fit the bill.

Algeria

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii~

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power Ice
- Earthquake

it brings a resistance to water and a very important resistance to the ground.
It also allows you to have a check Zygarde in addition.
Furthermore,he can form a Regenerator Core with Tornadus-Therian which is very appreciated in OU.

Heika

I may very well be the worst player on this site
is a Pre-Contributor
Since I would have suggest pex if It wasn't proposed yet, my vote goes to pex

last seems like it would be weavile because suit is amazing on rest talk zyg teams and the team has zone to trap sciz and it traps medicham and lele both of which can be extremely threatening to the finished submissions. weavile also helps you not autolose to zyg zone but the matchup is far from optimal even with it. and i also think the last can be ditto which helps against breakers like mmedi and stall. given the submissions i'll make a tryhard post and talk about submissions one by one

Toxapex: toxapex is nice on the team as a toxic spikes immunity and helps against scizor but i honestly dont think this is it because the team has a fairly stable fire resist already in zygarde and this leaves an open z slot too. it does pair well with some of the members on the team(tornt, scizor). it also helps against clef zone as zone traps curse sciz really easily and over the long run can trap magnezone as youre bound to get locked into flash when it comes in. however, i disagree with saying that toxapex is a near guarantee on balance as many balances dont have it and use mons like gastrodon or bulky zygarde instead. however, if its pex last its probably going to be payapa berry toxic for lele and medicham.

Tapu Bulu: uses the z slot but it doesnt really do that much else except checking zyg zone and lele. the team already has a breaker and this gives threats like mawile even more oppurtunity to come in and zone can trap celesteela so having fightz isnt huge. chansey + tapu bulu is also counterproductive.

Heatran: again, im not sold on this being last. zone + tran is very counterproductive and this gives free switchins for zyg.

Suicune: this looks like an interesting submission at the very least. cune + zone and cune + aroma are all good. however, this gives triple boosting support which is often not run on balances and would love wish support. also, i feel like its the only mon thats not super counterproductive on this team. it burns bulu which is also huge as zyg can beat it. im not sold on this being last just because balance dont run 3 wincons and cune would make it more toxic spikes weak.

Tangrowth: tangrowth + chansey + curse sciz is really redundant and this shouldnt be last.

my vote goes to Toxapex even though i wanted to say suicune

Closing this Cycle now.

Grats to hmsa2012 for winning the votes. Honorable mention goes to mellowyellowhd as it was actually Suicune, good job.

Round 4: Mega Latias Balance

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
- Roost

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Calm Mind

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 148 Atk / 84 Def / 196 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rock Slide

Last edited:
Kartana @ Fightinium Z / Grassium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance
- Defog

So looking at the team, the first thing that I noticed was the team had no defogger or a Z-move user. Some more breaking power would also be appreciated and so I came up with Kartana. Kartana really appreciates rocks always being up from CM Clefable allowing it to break past mons like Zapdos.

Last edited:

Tornadus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

The team lacked a Defogger, and Torn is on most of these balance teams so it's probably Tornadus. Aside from that, Torn creates a nice pivotting core with Lando, it provides the team with Knock support and functions as a secondary check to Kartana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)