Big Chungus Winner
+ Tons of utility
+ Great ability in Prankster that makes use of said utility moves
+ Brings a lot of momentum
+ Nice typing in Grass/Fairy allows it to take on the likes of Keldeo, Breloom, Slowbro, Mega Gyarados, Mega Lopunny, etc.
- Lackluster stats overall except speed
- No offensive presence whatsoever.
- Easy to widdle due to its lack of reliable recovery.
name: Fast Support
move 1: Moonblast
move 2: Stun Spore
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Encore
evs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
- Moonblast, while weak, allows Whimsicott to damage what it's suposed to check, as it heavily damages the likes of Breloom, Mega Gyarados, Mega Lopunny, Latios and Latias, etc.
- Stun Spore cripples anything that isn't a grass-type, and combined with Prankster it is able to paralyze fast sweepers such as Sand Rush Excadrill, Rock Polish Landorus, Swift Swim users like Mega Swampert, Kingdra, Kabutops, Omastar and is overall a nice move to have.
- U-turn is for momentum purposes
- Encore locks the opposing Pokemon into the last move they have used. It is certainly useful to stop opposing set-up.
- A Timid nature with maximum speed investment outspeeds everything up to Starmie and Raikou.
- The rest is invested in bulk so that Whimsicott can take hits better.
- Leftovers allows for passive recovery, as without it, this set would be easier to wear down.
- Prankster is the key to Whimsicott's success in the metagame, as without it, it wouldn't be able to stop sweeps with priority Stun Spore or Encore.
- Whimsicott checks a plethora of Pokemon in the tier, use it as a pivot to them.
- The best idea early game is to use U-turn, as Whimsicott is easy to take advantage of, and you don't lose anything by going for U-turn as it scouts what your opponent wants to do and gain momentum.
- However, if they have used a set-up move, use Encore to stop a possible sweep and proceed to U-turn afterwards.
- Use Moonblast only when you really need to, as it's a move really easy to switch into, specially considering Whimsicott's poor Special Attack.
- Whimsicott is usually the Pokemon that supports the team, and as such, it shouldn't be built around it.
- However, Whimsicott has glaring weaknesses to Poison, Fire and Steel so Pokemon that can take advantage of them such as Heatran and Mega Gallade have great synergy with Whimsicott.
- Frail Pokemon love Whimsicott's ability to bring momentum to the table with U-turn, allowing them to switch in freely without taking any damage, in case the opponent didn't stay in of course.
move 1: Encore
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Memento
move 4: Tailwind / Stun Spore / Taunt / Switcheroo
item: Lagging Tail
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Encore locks the enemy into the last move they have used. This is specially useful against set-up sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Slowbro.
- U-turn combined with Lagging Tail allows you to bring a teammate safely.
- Memento lowers the opponent's Attack and Special Attack by two stages at the cost of losing Whimsicott. This is helpful to bring a teammate for free and set-up easier.
- Tailwind to raise teammates speed.
- Stun Spore paralyzes an opposing Pokemon unless it's a Grass-type, essentially crippling it by the rest of the match.
- Taunt stops non attacking moves from being used. It works well on hazard stacking teams as it stops Defog.
- Switcheroo with Lagging Tail allows Whimsicott to take an item from opposing Pokemon and also cripple it due to Lagging Tail's effect of making the wielder move last.
- Maximum HP and Def investment with an Impish nature to take on Mega Gyarados, Mega Lopunny, Breloom, etc.
- However, a specially defensive spread can be used to take on Keldeo, Kingdra and Slowbro better.
- Lagging Tail so that you have slow U-turns.
- Prankster is vital for Whimsicott's success as it makes non attacking moves have priority.
- Bring Whimsicott on something that it can take it on and proceed to use a move accordingly.
- Whimsicott is somewhat predictable, so most of the time spamming U-turn is the best idea, as it brings a teammate safely and you can scout what your opponent wants to do.
- Don't let Whimsicott go down if you need it to check something late game.
- Frail and powerful pokemon such as Weavile, Gengar and Thundurus appreciates Whimsicott's ability to bring them safely.
- If running Tailwind, pokemon such as Mega Heracross, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Pinsir and Crawdaunt can turn themselves into cleaning machines, and as such, partnering Whimsicott with them is a good idea.
- Something to take on the common Flying, Fire, Steel-types that Whimsicott baits in. Terrakion is a great example, as it's able to deal with them.
name: Focus Sash
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Encore
move 3: Memento / Endeavor
move 4: Tailwind
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Taunt stops non attacking moves and it lets Whimsicott not be Taunt bait itself.
- Encore locks the enemy into the last move they have used and it prevents Whimsicott from being set-up bait.
- Memento allows to bring a teammate safely after it has done its job. It also lowers the opponents Attack and Special Attack by two stages.
- However, if Memento is not desired, Endeavor in tandem with Focus Sash allows Whimsicott to weaken a pokemon severely.
- Tailwind doubles teammates speed for 4 turns.
- A Timid nature with maximum Speed investment allows Whimsicott to get its job done, as it outspeeds any Taunt user, even Prankster Thundurus.
- Rest in HP because it's not using an attacking move.
- Focus Sash combined with Prankster allows Whimsicott to use two moves minimum.
- Lead with it and proceed to either Taunt if you think the opponent has Taunt itself or any hazard or set-up Tailwind.
- If Whimsicott hasn't gone down by the time it used Tailwind, use Memento to bring a teammate safely.
- If Whimsicott is using Endeavor, use it whenever you get attacked.
- Encore whenever the opponent uses a set-up move.
- This Whimsicott set is exclusive to Baton Pass teams, and as such, its partners are usually the same. Use it along with Dual Screens Azelf, Geomancy Smeargle with Baton Pass, and Espeon with Stored Power. It's very simple.
- Knock Off can be very useful, as even with no attack investment it is a no opportunity cost move, as it removes the items of opposing Pokemon.
- SubSeed is an option Whimsicott has in its arsenal. However, it is not advisable to run this set as its easily taken advantage of and blocked by Grass-types.
- Grass Whistle allows you to put an opposing Pokemon to sleep. While this might seem really useful, its bad accuracy makes it unreliable.
Checks & Counters
**Residual Damage**: Whimsicott is known for using U-turn, so Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin / Iron Barbs users such as Ferrothorn and ironically Garchomp give it a rough time.
**Types it is weak to**: Whimsicott doesn't usually use attacking moves due to its poor offenses, as such, it is forced out by Fire, Poison, Ice, Steel and Flying-types.
**Bisharp**: Bisharp recieves its own mention in checks and counters due to its Steel-type STAB that can easily dispose of Whimsicott in tandem with its Defiant ability which completely takes advantage of Memento.