Ubers Whimsicott [QC: 3/3] [GP: 2/2]

GP: 2/2 (frenzyplant / Muk)
QC: 3/3 (Fireburn / Hack / Edgar)

cotton picker

Overview
########

Whimsicott is one of the few beneficiaries of the useful Prankster ability. It differentiates itself from fellow recipients by being the only one of them to learn Leech Seed, which it can use to great effect. Prankster Encore is another useful tool that punishes enemy attempts to heal or set up on Whimsicott. Typing-wise, Whimsicott gained a new Fairy typing, which along with its original Grass typing allows it to check a key offensive threat in Zekrom. Unfortunately, Whimsicott has hopeless special bulk and is easily overwhelmed even by more powerful physical hits. Also, if you do not provide it with entry hazard support, stalling out its PP is also an option to render it incapable of doing any real damage. Overall, Whimsicott is a Pokemon that possesses glaring weaknesses but also highly unique qualities that establish a distinct niche for it.

Prankster
########
name: Prankster
move 1: Leech Seed
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Encore
move 4: Stun Spore / Taunt
ability: Prankster
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========

Leech Seed is Whimsicott's only form of damage output. Getting priority from Prankster, it can rack up a lot of residual damage while keeping Whimsicott healthy. Prankster Substitute helps rack up Leech Seed damage; the cost of making the Substitute is compensated by the recovery from Leech Seed and Leftovers. Encore is a very useful tool when augmented by Prankster, letting Whimsicott lock opponents into non-attacking moves that can be capitalized on by switching into relevant teammates. Stun Spore has shaky accuracy, but this is mitigated somewhat as Whimsicott will often find opportunities to use the move from behind the safety of a Substitute. Alternatively, Taunt shuts down many defensive Pokemon such as Blissey, Giratina, and Lugia, although one must watch out for Aeroblast from the latter. A couple of other options are worth mentioning for use in the last moveslot. Memento is a viable choice on offensive teams, allowing Whimsicott to weaken the opponent to ease setup for a teammate, albeit at its own demise. Knock Off is also worth a mention as removing an opponent's item is always useful; it also has a chance to 3HKO Mega Gengar.

Set Details
========

252 HP and Defense EVs with a Bold nature maximize Whimsicott's physical bulk, which goes a long way in helping it check and switch into threats such as Zekrom and Ground-types. Leftovers provides passive healing; in tandem with Leech Seed, it is integral in allowing Whimsicott to make "free" Substitutes.

Usage Tips
========

Realize that Whimsicott is frail and folds quickly to special attacks or repeated physical hits. Bring it in via double switching or on resisted physical hits from Pokemon like Groudon or Zekrom and proceed to use Leech Seed, then Substitute, perpetuating the SubSeed cycle. Ensure that entry hazards, minimally Stealth Rock, are up before doing this, as the opponent can otherwise switch Pokemon in and out of Whimsicott to drain its PP. Be proactive in seeking out opportunities by switching in on non-attacking moves such as Recover, Substitute, and Defog, and using Encore to lock opponents into these moves. You can then afford to use Leech Seed freely, or switch into a teammate that can take advantage of the situation. Encore is also a good way to hinder setup sweepers like Calm Mind Arceus formes, but you have to make smart switch-ins or you risk Whimsicott getting crippled or KOed by an attacking move. If you predict a Grass-type switch-in like Ferrothorn or Grass Arceus, use Taunt instead of Leech Seed. For that matter, liberally use Taunt on defensive Pokemon attempting to heal themselves, use a status move, etc. Speaking of which, be mindful of status moves, notably Toxic, on Pokemon such as Landorus-T that might catch you off guard. That being said, do not be overly predictable in using Taunt. Opponents will likely catch on soon enough when you are attempting to Taunt their wall/tank and switch to a Pokemon that poses an immediate offensive threat to Whimsicott. In these cases, throwing out a Leech Seed or double switching to an appropriate teammate is the wiser move.

Team Options
========

In general, powerful wallbreakers like Choice Specs Palkia and Life Orb Yveltal appreciate Whimsicott checking Zekrom for them and giving their user's team an offensive backbone. Note that Ferrothorn largely outclasses Whimsicott if it is used with Kyogre, as it checks many of the same threats, such as Zekrom and most Calm Mind Arceus formes. Ho-Oh is another great teammate as it massacres the majority of Whimsicott's checks and appreciates it checking Zekrom. Klefki provides Spikes support that works great with Whimsicott's ability to force many switches; it also helps check Xerneas and Yveltal. Having other Taunt users on your team to prevent attempts to Defog is recommended. Yveltal can do this to Scizor, as can Mega Mewtwo Y to support Arceus formes. Bulky Mega Mewtwo Y is also a good general check to special attackers such as Calm Mind Arceus formes and Palkia. Giratina-O and physically defensive Yveltal can check Extreme Killer Arceus, as well as pesky Steel-types such as Scizor and Genesect for Whimsicott. On offensive teams, Volt Switch and U-turn users can bring Whimsicott in safely; Choice Scarf Zekrom is a great offensive Volt Switch user, while Scizor doubles as a Xerneas check but compounds the team's Ho-Oh weakness.

Other Options
########

Whimsicott has several other nifty moves that find themselves on the cusp of viability. U-turn allows it to pivot out of unfavorable matchups, notably keeping it from being Mega Gengar bait. Moonblast is Whimsicott's strongest STAB move, 2HKOing Yveltal and Zekrom. Tailwind doubles Whimsicott and its teammates' Speed for four turns and is a usable choice on offensive teams. Toxic can cripple defensive Pokemon with access to recovery moves, although Taunt similarly cripples them by preventing them from healing. Grass Whistle puts the target to sleep and gets +1 priority, but a terrible 55% accuracy means it isn't much more than an elevated gimmick.

Checks & Counters
########

Many Pokemon check Whimsicott one-on-one, but not so much if it has managed to hit them with Leech Seed on the switch-in, which is reasonably easy to do with a basic level of prediction. What is listed here are then the Pokemon that beat it regardless.

**Grass-types**: These are immune to Leech Seed, meaning Whimsicott cannot hurt them at all. Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, Grass Arceus, and Shaymin-S have their way with Whimsicott.

**Ho-Oh**: Ho-Oh can switch in and out of Whimsicott unscathed, provided Stealth Rock is not up, as Regenerator allows it to heal off the damage incurred from Leech Seed.

**STAB U-turn**: Scizor and Genesect can use a powerful STAB U-turn to pivot out of Whimsicott, breaking its Substitute and gaining momentum against it, or otherwise dealing severe damage to it.

**Extreme Speed**: Extreme Speed gets +2 priority and will thus hit Whimsicott before it can react. Extreme Killer Arceus can set up on and overwhelm Whimsicott with Swords Dance and Extreme Speed.

**Special Attackers**: Whimsicott loses to many of the tier's special attackers, even if it hits them with Leech Seed on the switch. Yveltal can break Whimsicott's Substitutes with Oblivion Wing while keeping itself healthy. Calm Mind Arceus formes force Whimsicott to continually predict between Taunt and Substitute. Even an unboosted neutral Judgment from a 0 SpA Arceus forme does 60-71% to Whimsicott, so it's pretty much fighting a losing battle if it stays in.

**Cloyster**: Icicle Spear breaks Whimsicott's Substitute on the second hit and has a 62.5% chance of KOing it from full health.

**Magic Bounce**: Espeon, Xatu, and Mega Absol are all rarely used in Ubers, but they render Whimsicott helpless by reflecting its support moves.

BASED FLUFF OF NIGHTMARES

Overview
########

• One of the few beneficiaries of the useful Prankster.
  • The only one of these to learn Leech Seed, which it can use to great effect.
  • Gained a new Fairy typing which allows it to check a key offensive threat in Zekrom.
  • Prankster Encore punishes enemy attempts to heal/setup.
  • Hopeless special bulk, easily overwhelmed even by more powerful physical hits.
  • Overall, possesses glaring weaknesses but also highly unique qualities that establish a distinct niche for it.

Prankster
########
name: Prankster
move 4: Taunt

Moves
========
  • Leech Seed is Whimsicott's only form of damage output. Getting priority from Prankster, it can rack up a lot of residual damage while keeping Whimsicott healthy.
  • Prankster Substitute racks up Leech Seed damage; the cost of making the Substitute is compensated by Leech Seed + Leftovers healing.
  • Encore is a very useful tool when augmented by Prankster, it lets Whimsicott lock opponents into non-attacking moves that can be capitalized on by switching into relevant teammates.
  • Taunt shuts down many defensive Pokemon such as Blissey, Giratina, and Lugia (watch out for Aeroblast).

Set Details
========

• 252 HP and Def EVs with a Bold nature for maximum physical bulk.
  • Leftovers for passive recovery, in tandem with Leech Seed, it is integral in allowing Whimsicott to make "free" Substitutes.

Usage Tips
========
  • Frail and folds quickly to special attacks or repeated physical hits. Bring in via double switching/on resisted physical hits from Pokemon like Groudon or Zekrom and proceed to use Leech Seed, then Substitute, perpetuating the SubSeed cycle.
  • Be proactive in seeking out opportunities by switching in on non-attacking moves such as Recover, Substitute or Defog, and using Encore to lock opponents into the move. You can then afford to use Leech Seed freely, or switch into a teammate that can take advantage of the situation.
  • Encore is also a good way to hinder setup sweepers like Calm Mind Arceus formes but you have to make smart switch-ins or risk getting crippled/KOed by an attacking move.
  • If you predict a Grass-type switch-in like Ferrothorn or Grass Arceus, use Taunt instead of Leech Seed, because the latter does not affect Grass-types.
  • Taunt stallmons while it is on the field.
  • Be mindful of status moves, notably Toxic, on Pokemon such as Landorus-T that might catch you off guard.
  • Do not be overly predictable in using Taunt. Opponents will likely catch on soon enough when you are attempting to Taunt their wall/tank and switch to a Pokemon that poses an immediate offensive threat to Whimsicott. In these cases, throwing out a Leech Seed or double switching to an appropriate teammate is the wiser move.

Team Options
========
  • Klefki provides Spikes support that works great with Whimsicott's ability to force many switches, it also helps check Xerneas and Yveltal.
  • Wish support from Blissey or Jirachi is very welcome as with only Leech Seed and Leftovers for recovery, Whimsicott can get worn down quickly if it isn't careful.
  • Ho-Oh is a great teammate as it massacres the majority of Whimsicott's checks and appreciates it checking Zekrom.
  • In general, wallbreakers like Choice Specs Kyogre/Palkia and Life Orb Yveltal appreciate Whimsicott checking Zekrom for them and give the team an offensive backbone.
  • Physically defensive Yveltal checks Extreme Killer Arceus, as well as Scizor and Genesect for Whimsicott.
  • Bulky Mega Mewtwo Y is a good general check to special attackers (Arceus formes and Palkia).
  • Having other Taunt users on your team to prevent attempts to Defog is recommended. The aforementioned Yveltal can do this to Scizor, and Mega Mewtwo Y to support Arceus formes.

Other Options
########
  • Toxic
  • Tailwind
  • U-Turn
  • Moonblast
  • Knock Off
  • Light Screen
  • Grass Whistle

Checks & Counters
########

(emphasize that many, MANY things check whimsicott one-on-one, but not if it has managed to get a Leech Seed off, which is fairly easy to do with a basic level of prediction)

**Grass-types**:
**STAB-U-Turn**:
**Extreme Speed**:
**Special Attackers**:
**Cloyster**:
**Magic Bounce**:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tailwind > Encore, or at least a slash, since a lot of things can take advantage of it, and Encore isn't that good in practice imo. For team options throw in stuff like Kyogre, that appreciates a teammate to beat Zekrom. Groudon can carry Toxic a lot so maybe say to play carefully around that. mention encoring into a support move + taunting them is more annoying then swagplay

RotomPoison

um encore is like, one of the 2 key reasons to be using whimsy at all... but that aside, i'll take note of ogre and stuff when i get down to doing team options, as well as the bit on toxic

LustrousPalkia

i'll do that, for krom at least. palkia isnt really checked by whimsy tho

EDIT:
ok this is qc ready
also lustkia, imma consider moving u-turn into moves bc it really is pretty annoying... As for Klefki vs whimsy, why not run both?

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
malefic is there no stop to your analysis snatching tyranny?
The answer is no because malefic makes good analyses. *_*

You should mention VoltTurn support - Zekrom is cool because it baits Ground-types and can check Skymin somewhat well, Scizor is ok too but tends to bait Fire-types in so mainly just mention Zekky, Scizor does check Grass-types though.

Heatran is also a nice partner since it covers all of Whimsi's weaknesses and vice versa.

You should mention Ho-Oh as a counter, if SR isn't up it can switch in and out indefinitely on Whimsicott because of Regenerator to PP stall Leech Seed. Yveltal can go in here too since it can Taunt Whimsicott, and Oblivion Wing means it will have trouble Sub Stalling it.

QC 1/3

Just a question, why is Moonblast not mentioned....anywhere? If you have a substitute up and opposing mons try to PP stall by switching, you punish them with Moonblast. Also mitigates the fact that if you get Taunted its not a free turn for the opponent. It's not the strongest of attacks but it still 2HKOs Yveltal and Zekrom. OO at least imo.

thanks fireburn, i'll implement changes

whoops nayrz. added moonblast to oo. it has its uses but doesn't deserve more than that imo. tbh i didnt mention it bc i never knew it learnt the move (glossed over it in the teambuilder) @_@

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
I'd mmention that Whimsicott is a good deterrent to GeoXern, as if you play your cards right can come in on Geomancy, Encore it - the Herb is wasted. you can Stun Spore it too although compared to Keys that's unreliable. Also, i have an interesting mechanic for you concerning taunt+encore. you can encore say arceus into recover then taunt it and make it struggle, but you cannont taunt say arceus as it recovers, then encore it into the failed taunted move if that makes sense. something interesting you should maybe mention

i hate this annoying cottonball so much

Wow...the racism. :(

Anyway do you guys really think Whimsicott is worth it in ubers? Priority leech seed is pretty neat i guess, but seed in tandem with leftovers will not recover more than 25% (unless Chansey or something), meaning that unless in the rare case that it sets up a leech seed and lives an attack with a good amount of HP, Whimsicott won't be staying around for long.
Not only that but infiltrator and sound-based moves do exist, escepially from the likes of Sylveon. It's also stopped by Amoongus (immune to seed and the rare stun spore, resists moonblast and giga drain and can OHKO with STAB poison moves), Wobbuffet can trap it and encore it, Yveltal can recover any damage taken via oblivion wing, etc.

I know everything has checks and counters, but the tier is full of mons that can deal with Whimsicott, not only that but it can't really make much of an impact even if it's large list of checks and counters are removed from the equation.

It's pretty niche and does handle Zekrom incredibly well, but I just don't see it functioning well in Ubers, I had faced off against a few in Ubers and found them to be quite easy to eliminate.

Sorry, not a bad Pokemon or analysis, its just not fit for Ubers.

If i were QC i would reject :(

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
Wow...the racism. :(

Anyway do you guys really think Whimsicott is worth it in ubers? Priority leech seed is pretty neat i guess, but seed in tandem with leftovers will not recover more than 25% (unless Chansey or something), meaning that unless in the rare case that it sets up a leech seed and lives an attack with a good amount of HP, Whimsicott won't be staying around for long.
Not only that but infiltrator and sound-based moves do exist, escepially from the likes of Sylveon. It's also stopped by Amoongus (immune to seed and the rare stun spore, resists moonblast and giga drain and can OHKO with STAB poison moves), Wobbuffet can trap it and encore it, Yveltal can recover any damage taken via oblivion wing, etc.

I know everything has checks and counters, but the tier is full of mons that can deal with Whimsicott, not only that but it can't really make much of an impact even if it's large list of checks and counters are removed from the equation.

It's pretty niche and does handle Zekrom incredibly well, but I just don't see it functioning well in Ubers, I had faced off against a few in Ubers and found them to be quite easy to eliminate.

Sorry, not a bad Pokemon or analysis, its just not fit for Ubers.

If i were QC i would reject :(
Priority Encore means:

Encore Dragon Move. Set up Sub as they switch out. replace Dragon with Water/Electric/etc. Encore SD/CM and set up as they switch out. Sub on a Toxic, then Encore it, then they switch out. It's meant to be supremely irritating and disrupt your opponent. You can even be a man and come in on Xerneas as it Geomancies - the pure existence of Whimsicott warns your opponent off of setting up at all, as they can be Encored and irritated (this especially applies to Xerneas, who can only set up once)

Taunt Wobbuffet before it can Encore, then Leech Seed it etc.

Amoonguss is VERY rare

I would like to mention that whimsicott can fill another niche as a memento user
With Memento a whimsicott with no more use can weaken opposing offensive pokemon. Since you cant switch out right after a memento you are essentially giving a free turn to any of your remaining pokemon. I have found that this works well with E-killer/Calm mind Arceus. If they stick around then you have the abilty to set up while taking relatively no damage, while if they switch out you get a free setup turn! This only works on offensive pokemon however as defensive ones (Groudon, Lugia and Giratina-A) just phaze your arceus away.
All in all i think memento is worth a moveslot

Last edited:
Memento might be neat in conjunction with Gothitelle, increasing the number of things against which it can get to +6 w/ TR. Thoughts?
hmmm, sounds a bit gimmicky and even at -50% offensive stats goth cant take 6 hits in a row n_n
should just be used for a bread and butter setup sweeper

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Um, I am unsure whether you know what goth runs or not. In Ubers they run Rest, Psychic / 'shock, Calm Mind, Trick Room / Heal Bell. Goth is would be terrifying against so much of the meta at halved offenses it isn't funny. I don't know where you got the notion that goth can't take 6 hits in a row, because it can with Rest. I do support the idea of Memento as a moves mention / OO mention for the reasons Alert to Sounds mentioned.

Um, I am unsure whether you know what goth runs or not. In Ubers they run Rest, Psychic / 'shock, Calm Mind, Trick Room / Heal Bell. Goth is would be terrifying against so much of the meta at halved offenses it isn't funny. I don't know where you got the notion that goth can't take 6 hits in a row, because it can with Rest. I do support the idea of Memento as a moves mention / OO mention for the reasons Alert to Sounds mentioned.
I forgot about rest. Derp

-2 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gothitelle: 61-73 (17.7 - 21.2%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

-2 252+ Atk Life Orb Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gothitelle: 105-125 (30.6 - 36.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

-2 252+ SpA Kyogre Water Spout (132 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Gothitelle in Rain: 148-175 (43.1 - 51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery(after 1 round of rocks in rain)

-2 252+ SpA Kyogre Water Spout (112 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Gothitelle in Rain: 126-148 (36.7 - 43.1%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery(After 2 round of rocks in rain)

-2 252+ SpA Kyogre Water Spout (132 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Gothitelle: 99-117 (28.8 - 34.1%) -- 98.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery(after 1 round of Stealth Rocks in regular weather)

-2 252+ SpA Kyogre Water Spout (112 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Gothitelle: 84-99 (24.4 - 28.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery(after 2 rounds of Stealth Rocks in regular weather)

It seems like you are right, But assuming goth isn't chesto rest then why sack 2 turns to be attacked? after all that means it cant beat ho-oh 1v1 due to the fact that if it wants to survive it just has to keep on resting, even with full defensive investement.
Yes goth, as well as other set-up sweepers can be used with whimsicott

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

Whimsicott is of the few beneficiaries of the useful Prankster ability. It differentiates itself from fellow other recipients by being the only one of them to learn Leech Seed, which it can use to great effect. Prankster Encore is another useful tool that punishes enemy attempts to heal or set up (space) on Whimsicott. Typing-wise, Whimsicott gained a new Fairy typing in XY, which along with its original Grass typing allows it to check a key offensive threat in Zekrom. Unfortunately, Whimsicott has hopeless special bulk and is easily overwhelmed even by more powerful physical hits. Also, if you do not provide it with entry hazards support, stalling out its PP is also an option to PP stalling can render it incapable of doing any real damage. Overall, Whimsicott is a Pokemon that possesses glaring weaknesses but also highly unique qualities that establish a distinct niche for it.

Prankster SubSeed (as all viable Whimsicott sets have Prankster, they should be characterized based on their moves)
########
name: Prankster SubSeed
move 4: Taunt

Moves
========

Leech Seed is Whimsicott's only form of damage output. Getting priority from Prankster, it can rack up a lot of residual damage while keeping Whimsicott healthy. Prankster Substitute racks up Leech Seed damage; the cost of making the Substitute is compensated by Leech Seed and Leftovers healing. Encore is a very useful tool when augmented by Prankster, as it lets Whimsicott lock opponents into non-attacking moves that can be capitalized on by switching into relevant teammates. Taunt shuts down many defensive Pokemon, including such as Blissey, Giratina, and Lugia, although one Whimsicott must watch out for Aeroblast from the last latter. A couple of other options are worth mentioning for use in the last moveslot. Stun Spore has shaky accuracy, but this is mitigated somewhat as Whimsicott will often find opportunities to use the move from behind the safety of a Substitute. Memento is a viable choice on offensive teams, allowing Whimsicott to weaken the opponent to ease setup by a teammate's setup, albeit at its own demise.

Set Details
========

252 HP and Defense EVs with a Bold nature maximize Whimsicott's physical bulk, which goes a long way in helping it check and switch into threats such as Zekrom and Ground-types. Leftovers provides passive healing; in tandem with Leech Seed, it is integral in allowing Whimsicott to make "free" Substitutes.

Usage Tips
========

Realize that Whimsicott is frail and folds quickly to special attacks or repeated physical hits. Bring it in via double switching or on resisted physical hits from Pokemon like Groudon or and Zekrom and proceed to use Leech Seed, then Substitute, perpetuating the SubSeed cycle. Ensure that entry hazards, minimally Stealth Rock, are up before doing this, as otherwise the opponent can otherwise switch Pokemon in and out of Whimsicott to drain its PP. Be proactive in seeking out opportunities by switching to switch in on non-attacking moves such as Recover, Substitute or Defog, and using Encore to lock opponents the opponent into the move. You Whimsicott can then afford to use Leech Seed freely, or you can switch into a teammate that can take advantage of the situation. Encore is also a good way to hinder setup sweepers like such as Calm Mind Arceus formes, (comma) but you have to make smart switch-ins or risk getting crippled or KOed by an attacking move. If you predict a Grass-type switch-in like such as Ferrothorn or Grass Arceus, use Taunt instead of Leech Seed, because the latter does not affect Grass-types. For that matter, liberally use Taunt on defensive Pokemon attempting to heal themselves, use a status move, etc. (comma to period) Speaking of which, be mindful of status moves, most notably Toxic, on Pokemon such as Landorus-T that might catch you off guard. That being said, do not be overly predictable in using Taunt. Opponents will likely catch on soon enough when you are in a position attempting to Taunt their wall or tank (slash to or) and switch to a Pokemon that poses an immediate offensive threat to Whimsicott. In these cases, throwing out a Leech Seed or double switching to an appropriate teammate is the wiser move.

Team Options
========

In general, powerful wallbreakers like such as Choice Specs Kyogre, Palkia, and Life Orb Yveltal appreciate Whimsicott checking Zekrom for them and give its user's team an offensive backbone. Ho-Oh is another great teammate, (comma) as it massacres the majority of Whimsicott's checks and appreciates it checking Zekrom. Klefki provides Spikes support that works great with Whimsicott's ability to force many switches; it also helps check Xerneas and Yveltal. Having other Taunt users on your team to prevent attempts to Defog is recommended. Yveltal can do this to prevent Scizor from Defogging, and Mega Mewtwo Y can do this to support Arceus formes. Bulky Mega Mewtwo Y is also a good general check to special attackers such as Calm Mind Arceus formes and Palkia. Giratina-O or and physically defensive Yveltal can check Extreme Killer Arceus, (remove comma) as well as pesky Steel-types such as Scizor and Genesect for Whimsicott. On offensive teams, Volt Switch and U-turn users can bring Whimsicott in safely; Choice Scarf Zekrom is a great offensive Volt Switch user, while Scizor doubles as a Xerneas check but compounds the team's Ho-Oh weakness.

Other Options
########

Whimsicott has a wealth of nifty support moves that find themselves on the cusp of viability. U-turn allows it to pivot out of unfavorable matchups. Moonblast is Whimsicott's strongest STAB move, 2HKOing Yveltal and Zekrom. Tailwind doubles Whimsicott's and its teammates' Speed stats for four turns and is a usable choice on offensive teams. Knock Off is worth a mention, (comma) as removing an opponent's item is always useful. Toxic can cripple defensive Pokemon with access to recovery moves, although Taunt similarly cripples them similarly by preventing them from healing. Grass Whistle puts the target to sleep and gets +1 Prankster's priority boost, but a terrible 55% accuracy means it isn't much more than an elevated gimmick.

Checks & Counters
########

Many Pokemon check Whimsicott one-on-one, but not so much if it has managed to hit them with Leech Seed on the switch-in, which is reasonably easy to do with a basic level of prediction. What is listed here are, then, (commas) the Pokemon that beat it regardless.

**Grass-types**: These Grass-types are immune to Leech Seed, meaning Whimsicott cannot hurt them at all. Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, Grass Arceus, and Shaymin-S have their way with Whimsicott, although the latter two detest Stun Spore.

**Ho-Oh**: (colon) Ho-Oh can switch in and out of Whimsicott unscathed, (remove comma) provided Stealth Rock is not up, as Regenerator allows it to heal off the damage incurred from Leech Seed.

**STAB-U-turn (remove dash)**: Scizor and Genesect can use a powerful STAB U-turn to pivot out of Whimsicott, either breaking its Substitute and gaining momentum on it, or else dealing severe damage to it.

**Extreme Speed**: Extreme Speed gets +2 priority and will thus hit Whimsicott before it can react. Extreme Killer Arceus can set up on and overwhelm Whimsicott with a boosted Extreme Speed.

**Special Attackers**: Whimsicott loses to many of the tier's special attackers, even if it hits them with Leech Seed on the switch. Yveltal can break Whimsicott's Substitutes while keeping itself healthy with Oblivion Wing while keeping itself healthy. Calm Mind Arceus formes force Whimsicott to continually predict between using Taunt and Substitute. Even an unboosted neutral Judgment from a 0 SpA Arceus forme does 60-71% to Whimsicott, so it's pretty much fighting a losing battle.

**Cloyster**: Icicle Spear breaks Whimsicott's Substitute on the second hit and has a 62.5% chance of KOing it from full health.

**Magic Bounce**: Espeon, Xatu, and Mega Absol are all rarely used in Ubers, but they render Whimsicott helpless by reflecting its support moves.

uturn instead of sub to not be gengar bait is an option

a worse ferrothorn if used with kyogre. its best niche is checking xern and zek much like ferrothorn without needing rain thus mention ferrothorn is simply a better option most of the time if used with kyogre. whims would only be better if and only if you are desperately weak to dd groudon or landt etc, but even then that means your team built poorly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)