Whimsicott [Triples] (QC 0/3)

+Blistering 116 Speed and Prankster
+ Very strong support and disruption moves: Tailwind, Taunt and Encore being the main ones. Provides speed control, shutdown, and protection from big status moves like Dark Void.
+Becomes even more valuable under certain field effects and/or combos, such as when partnered with Shadow Tag and/or Justified.
- Little offensive presence
-Frail
-Crippled by Taunt

[SET]
name: Team Support
move 1: Tailwind
move 2: Encore/Taunt/
move 3: Helping Hand/Moon Blast/Giga Drain
move 4: Taunt/Encore/Protect
item: Focus Sash
ability: Prankster
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe

[Set Comments]
Moves
========

• Tailwind provides valuable speed boost to your team
  • Encore and Taunt can cripple the foe's disruption or supporting Pokemon, such as Trick Room setters or Perish trap users. Encore can also render a Pokemon that had used Fake Out, Substitute, or Protect the previous turn offensively useless, forcing a switch or sacrifice. Encore and Taunt when used together can force a Pokemon to use Struggle if they had used a non-attacking move the previous turn.
  • Helping hand provides more offensive power to a partner, helping make up for Whimsicott's lack of innate offense. Moon Blast and Giga Drain can prevent Whimsicott from being total taunt bait, and can hit certain Pokemon hard thanks to type effectiveness, such as Scrafty, Hydreigon, Hitmontop, Mega Salamence and various Water/Ground types seen on Rain teams, such as Swampert, Gastrodon, and Quagsire
  • Protect can temporarily prevent damage that would've been caused by an opponent's attack, such as Talonflame's Brave Bird, and give the partner a chance to KO it.
Set Details
========

• 252 HP and 40 Def for all-around bulk, and being able to take physical spread moves, Earthquake and Rock Slide. 216 speed to outspeed and Taunt max speed Praknster Thundurus
  • Sitrus Berry restores some HP if Whimsicott switches in to a resisted attack. Focus Sash can help Whimsicott survive if it leads against a Talonflame.
  • Max speed investment is an alternative if you want to Taunt opposing Whimsicott
Usage Tips
========

• Taunt and Encore together can shutdown supporting moves from the opponent. Encoring a support move, and then using Taunt right after will force the opposing Pokemon to use Struggle on subsequent turns. Have a partner trap them with Shadow Tag or Mean Look, and you've immobilized a Pokemon completely! You can prevent your opponent from using Follow Me, Rage Powder, or Spore, giving Whimsicott's partner a chance to attack. Follow me and Rage powder have higher priority, however, so it won't work immediately if both of you use your moves on the same turn, but only after that. Encore is also helpful for locking the foe into a move your team resists, and, if your other Pokemon is faster and knows a priority attack, its a good idea to lock the opponent into Sucker Punch
  • Boost speed with Tailwind, but if you can tell your opponent will use Trick Room, then don't!
  • Typically positioned on the side, so the center partner can maximize its offensive presence. If the center mon is weak to a move Whimsicott resists, consider shifting Whimsicott. Whimsicott's speed helps him get a shift before the opponent attacks
Team Options
========

• It is primarily a support Pokemon, so pair it with Pokemon with a strong offensive presence. Mega Kangaskhan, Landorus-T, Specs Sylveon, Mega Charizard-Y, Terrakion
  • Fake Out, Quick Guard and Wide Guard can help Whimsicott get its support and disruption moves out sooner. Talonflame, Smeargle, Hitmontop, Machamp, Hariyama, Conkeldurr, Mienshao can help here. Smeargle's Dark Void can also help Whimicott stay alive longer for it to use more support and disruption moves.
  • Combos: Beat Up with a Justified user. Usually Terrakion. Arcanine Gallade, and Lucario are less common options. Gravity with Grass Whistle. Meowstic-M is most reliable thanks to Prankster and access to protective moves like boosted priority Quick Guard and screens. Charm, Captivate, and/or Memento with Shadow Tag users such as Gothitelle and Mega Gengar, can lock in debuffs, and can help you finish the 3 turns for Perish Song to KO the team.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========

• Beat Up + Justified: Give your Justified Pokemon a potential +6 attack boost and attack on the same turn! Redirection, Fake Out, and/or Friend Guard can help keep your Justified Pokemon healthy.
  • Charm & Captivate: Weaken the foe's offense, Captivate is rather risky though, since it only works on opposite gender.
  • Fake Tears: Lets your special attackers deal more damage to a target.
  • Endeavor: After Focus Sash activates, you can bring a foe down to 1 HP and have the partner knock it out. Add in residual damage from burn, poison, sea of fire, etc, and you can simply KO them on that turn!
  • Safe Guard: Protect against Burns, Paralysis, and especially Dark Void.
  • Light Screen: Boosts Special Defense for your team.
  • Memento: If Whimsicott has done all its can, you can cripple a foe's offense,
  • Grass Whistle: Under Gravity, Grass Whistle has almost 95% accuracy. Dangerous!!
  • Trick Room: Whimsicott can setup Trick Room decently, or cancel out an opposing Trick Room. Note that Trick Room will not receive a priority boost due to its -7 priority bracket.
  • Sitrus Berry: If you plan on switching Whimsicott in on resisted hits, Sitrus berry can help recover some health.
[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave, Talonflame's Brave Bird, Scizor's Bullet Punch. Mege Gengar can trap it and KO with Sludge Wave. Note that Gale Wings Brave Bird + another priority attack could KO Whimsicott before it does anything at all, even with a Focus Sash.

**Misc.**: Aromatisse's Aroma Veil stops Whimsicott from using Encore or Taunt. This can allow Trick Room to be set up, turning Tailwind, and Pokemon trying to work with it into a liability. Whimsicott loses most 1-v-1 scenarios due to lack of offensive pressure and frailty.

Snatchers can steal Whimsicott's support moves for their own team, Talonflame and Meowstic are the more notable ones. They can also use Quick Guard to block your priority disruption moves.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yo PumpedAaron great to see you here, we need all the triples contributors we can get!

Just a heads up about how analysis writing works:

you're meant to just do all the info in bullet points until you get two QC checks, then you write it up in paragraph form so you can get the third check, then it'll get grammar checked. Having it in bullet form for the QC checks makes it much easier for us to skim the info and make sure everything needed is there, it also means you don't need to re-write sentences when we say to add/remove stuff.

Also, you need to use the proper format for the moveset which looks like:

[SET]
name: Team Support
move 1: Tailwind
move 2: Encore / Taunt
move 3: Helping Hand / Moonblast / Giga Drain
move 4: Protect / Encore / Taunt
item: Sitrus Berry / Focus Sash
ability: Prankster
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe

It looks like you copied the format the the rest of the sections so I'm not sure why you didn't use the moveset format haha

Alright cant say I'll go ahead and reformat it like that. Thanks for bearing with me and stuff, eheh...

Edit: Alright! I reformatted it.

Last edited:

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
PumpedAaron
Sorry I'm a month late, lol.

- Remove Beat Up from the slashes on the set, move to Other Options (OO)
- Slash Encore / Taunt before Protect on Move 4
- Change EV Spread to 244 HP / 44 Def / 220 Spe; survives Jolly Mega Kangaskhan's Return 100% of the time while still outrunning Thundurus (216 Spe EVs speed ties it)
- Slash Focus Sash before Sitrus Berry as an item, it's generally way better. The only thing Sitrus Berry does is let you take Kangaskhan's hits or resisted hits better, pretty much.
- Mention Hydreigon and Mega Salamence as Pokemon that are also hit hard by Moonblast
- Either slash Fake Tears onto Move 4 or mention it in OO
- Mention Charm in OO, perhaps?
- "Cripple something with Encore and Taunt, ..." - it might seem obvious to you how Encore and Taunt should be used, but try to go into a bit more detail here (Encore into Substitute, Trick Room, Fake Out, Protect / King's Shield is the most obvious play; Encore into resisted moves or Sucker Punch is also a cool option, the latter especially since you have priority). Taunt to save your physical attackers from Will-O-Wisp, speedy attackers from Thunder Wave, Trick Room setters from Taunt, or to stop opposing setup (boosting moves or Trick Room, mainly), and especially to stop Dark Void, wew. Also good for stopping gimmicks in general, Guard Split Shuckle anyone???
- Mention in your last point of Usage Tips that Whimsicott's high speed usually lets it get a shift in early, helping to prevent damage to teammates
- Perhaps mention trappers (Goth / Gengar) as potential teammates? Not entirely sure how good that goes down in Triples, since I've never tried that particular setup.

Level 51 Thanks for all the tips!

I've added in nearly all the changes, but I'm having a little trouble in the "go into more details about Encore and Taunt" part. I tried to just say, "Use it to shutdown support and disruption moves" but that still doesn't mention resisted hits or Sucker Punch. Since there's obviously a -huge- list of disruption and support moves to go through in general, I don't think its very practical to mention all of them, one-by-one, right? I think I should just mention the more popular moves... hmm

Level 51

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Level 51 Thanks for all the tips!

I've added in nearly all the changes, but I'm having a little trouble in the "go into more details about Encore and Taunt" part. I tried to just say, "Use it to shutdown support and disruption moves" but that still doesn't mention resisted hits or Sucker Punch. Since there's obviously a -huge- list of disruption and support moves to go through in general, I don't think its very practical to mention all of them, one-by-one, right? I think I should just mention the more popular moves... hmm
Yeah obviously it's impractical to list all the possible uses of each, just list one or two situations where they might help, like "Encore can be used to great effect by locking opponents into non-damaging moves, like Fake Out, Protect, Substitute, or even Sucker Punch in some circumstances, as well as to force opponents to deal resisted hits, severely lowering their damage output." or something like that.

Alright, lets see what I can do then.

EDIT: Okay. So, I think I did a better job at going into more details about Encore and Taunt, but I'm not sure if those details should be presented in the Moves section, or the Usage Tips section. What do you guys think? Anything else you suppose needs fixing?

Level 51 NOVED Whiskey Tango -Latios-

Last edited:
Add talonflame to checks & counters make sure to mention snatch among other things, add heatran too, and mega kanga(can break through sash), meowstic is probably a decent check too, snatches your shit and quick guards too.

probably should not have encore as the first slash in two different slots.

move sitrus berry to OO

i think beat up should be in the main analysis but if we're putting beat up in other options, make you sure you move any mention of beat up out of the main analysis and into OO, you have a couple mentions of it in a few parts. But i mean seriously, Beat up is on over 70% of whimsicotts.. i dont think it would make sense to just put it in OO since terracott is so much stronger in triples with the third slot to support it(smeargle). Tagging Theorymon and Whiskey Tango for their input cause I realize im contradicting Level 51's check with this opinion. And please feel free to expand on your opinion for taking it out l51.

Add smeargle to team options. Really fast fake out(assuming scarf smeargle) is nice on whim teams to get your stuff set up(tailwind, beat up, etc). also dvoid helps in some situations too.

add zard y to team options. you already have pokemon with strong offensive presence mentioned, i think zard fits in that list fine. and zard really like speed control cause its in that sorta awkward speed tier.

If you're running Beat Up paired with a Justified user, consider using Beat Up first. Your opponent might expect you to do Tailwind + Protect on the first turn
take this note out. whether you should beat up first or tailwind first is totally dependent on the matchup, you cant just give a general statement to beat up before anything.

trick room could be added to other options. its decent for reversing trick room since tr teams really shit on tailwind.

dont straight up call something a gimmick anywhere, that doesnt look good for a competitive analysis.
The whole gimmick section in team options, just expand on beat up stuff(if beat up stays in main set) and move all that other stuff to their respective spot in OO cause none of the moves you talk about are on the main set.

mention moonblast hits hitmontop too.

Expand a lot more in the intro. What strong support moves and why are they strong? More valuable under what field affects and how so?

looking good so far, nice work man. i'll give a check once you do this stuff

Last edited:

Level 51

i think beat up should be in the main analysis but if we're putting beat up in other options, make you sure you move any mention of beat up out of the main analysis and into OO, you have a couple mentions of it in a few parts. But i mean seriously, Beat up is on over 70% of whimsicotts.. i dont think it would make sense to just put it in OO since terracott is so much stronger in triples with the third slot to support it(smeargle). Tagging Theorymon and Whiskey Tango for their input cause I realize im contradicting Level 51's check with this opinion. And please feel free to expand on your opinion for taking it out l51.
Right, I haven't played Triples that much recently so I wasn't aware of the stats. I feel like using Beat Up on Whimsicott requires a very specific team structure, which is why I was hesitant to put it right in the main set, but if you guys think it's fine then I'm okay with that too.

Right, I haven't played Triples that much recently so I wasn't aware of the stats. I feel like using Beat Up on Whimsicott requires a very specific team structure, which is why I was hesitant to put it right in the main set, but if you guys think it's fine then I'm okay with that too.
Yeah, it does require a specific team. For that reason, i wouldn't put it as a very first slash. Probably behind encore and taunt would be good. But yeah whims is pretty much known and used for the specific beat up teams, i think it's worth expanding on in the main set.

And a smaller note, it differentiates it more from the doubles analysis which is nice.

Okay!! Added in most of the changes as far as I can see. For now, I prefer to leave Beat Up in OO. I don't want viewers to think Whimsicott's strength is limited to the Justified Beat Up, combo, and I want to draw more attention to the fact that Whimsicott's support movepool is -very very- wide! I'm thinking about adding in some of the other Justified users into OO as well, like Lucario, Absol, and Gallade, especially since they can all Mega Evolve as well. they also have some extra support options that Terrakion lacks, and Mega Abs magic bounce is pretty helpful.

NOVED Level 51 Theorymon Whiskey Tango -Latios-

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)