Who doesn't love Latias? (GIVEAWAY OVER CONTACT DISTRIBUTORS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS GIVEAWAY IS OVER. PLEASE CONTACT THE DISTRIBUTORS.
It was really hard to pick the winners, since there were so many good entries, but I think I narrowed it down. I'm sorry if you weren't selected, but I will be having more giveaways in the future like this!

#380 Latias

OT: Stephen | ID No.: 00077 | Gender: Female
Nature: Timid | Ability: Levitate
IV: 31/31/31/30/31/31
EV: UT | Level: 35
Moves: DragonBreath | Water Sport | Refresh | Mist Ball
*Not Redistributable*

So what do you have to earn Latias? Simply post a maximum of two nicknames you suggest for her and a creative moveset for her.

Guidelines for nickname:
-Must be less than ten characters
-Must actually mean something - Please explain the meaning behind the names you submit
-Must not be something dumb like "Latiass" or "Lati-Tati"

Guidelines for moveset:
-May not be any of the exact movesets suggested on the fifth generation analysis
-May not incorporate Soul Dew, as it is unreleased in 5th gen
-Have EVs that make sense!
-Explain the reason for the moves you have selected

There will be five nickname winners, and five moveset winners. Winners will be selected next Tuesday, when I am available during the day. I will need two distributors who can distribute for me as I have really crappy internet at my mom's house.

Nickname winners:
1) Kaida - Jake626
2) Celeste - fearow23
3) Athena - Zachilles
4) Tiamat - Jet Star
5) Aurum
- NeoFred

Creative moveset winners:
1) Advancer
2) Hokage
3) KM888
4) Dr. Alex
5) Palu

Distributors:
1) Metalex
2) Cereza

Good luck!

The name im going to suggest is Lemuria which translates to "lost land". Latias gets its name from the latin word Lateo, which means "Lie hidden". Lemuria sounded like a pretty good name for latias since it does end in "a" which signifies that its a female.

Also id like to suggest a set for it.
Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Reflect Type
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse
Evs allow for latias to have some bulk while having speed and attack power. The moves are a bit wierd, but you asked for an creative set so here goes....
Reflect type is to stop alot of Latias' opponents such as tyranitar, ferrothorn, scizor, etc. With Reflect type this latias can set up on the examples given above and allow her to snag some calm mind boosts. Calm mind allows her to be an effective sweeper not much else about that. Reflect is to increase longevity and allow her to set up many boosts. Dragon pulse is her main STAB move, to be honest you can probably replace this move but dragon pulse has worked for me. Hopefully I helped you get a name for your latias and have given you a set that works for you.

Nicknames:
Calypso For The Rain Team one, since calypso is goddess of the sea.
PaperPlane, just because i think it sounds good.

Latias
Levitates
EV 252 Sp.A / 252 Speed / 4 hP
Latias @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
-Psyshock/Energy Ball
-Surf
-Thunder
-Draco Meteor

Because you know someone somewhere is going to come up to you and say "Hey, how's the weather?" and it's going to be "DRIZZLING", and as soon as its starts drizzling you can ask them "Hey, what comes after lightning?" and then you can yell out. "THUNDER BITCH!!!"

Oh and you can have the choice scarf in case you want to outrun omastar or other rather slow swift swimmers.

I would nickname her, Hinata, meaning a "sunny place" in japanese, due to her color.
Or Tempest, which is a violent windy storm, which Latias can be sometimes.

I'm allready going to post my nickname, and I do the Moveset later on this day. This because I don't want the name to be taken before I get the chance to post it.

Nickname:

Aeona: The origin of both Latias and Latios can be searched at many places, in many things. One of those is probably the “Aeons of Gnosticicm”. Because certain aeons are immaterial beings of concepts, existing in pairs of males and females, emanated from God and one other.
You can also see a reference in there species, which is “Eon Pokémon”.

Because it is Latias and not Latios, I let the name end with the letter “a”, as it sounds female.

Moveset:

@ Flame Orb
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP | 60 SpD | 196 Spe
Moves: Psycho Shift | Recover | Dragon Pulse | Healing Wish

Setinfo: With Flame Orb you get burned, which you can transfer with Psycho Shift. Recover for obvious last minute Healing. Dragon Pulse not to get Tanuted.
And last but not least: Healing Wish. With this you can Heal a pokémon to its max, at the cost from your own life. You can use it as a last move to Heal a good Teammember. Since Latias is really fast, this could actually work.

EVinfo: The Burn transfers make sure you dont need any EVs for Defense. With 252 HP and 60 EVs in SpD your actually Bulky enough to survive a lot. The Speed EVs along with the Timid Nature is to outspeed base 100 Speed Pokémon.

A good nickname would be Celeste. It's a play on the word "celestial", plus it was one of my crushes names :P.

I missed the Wi-Fi event for SS, so I'll have a crack at this.

Nicknames:
Candice - 'Fire White', or 'Clarity' 'Whiteness' 'Honesty', an alternate spelling of Candace. I felt this is a fitting name as Shiny Latias is White and bright Orange/Yellow, like Fire White.
Artemis - pronounced AR-te-miss, originating from the Ancient Greek, Artemis was 'the Hellenic goddess of the hunt, wild animals, wilderness, childbirth, virginity and young girls, bringing and relieving disease in women; she often was depicted as a huntress carrying a bow and arrows'. I'd say this is my primary choice for a nickname, as it captures Latias's qualities as an offensive team partner and her ability to function as cleric, also I think it'd be fun creating a personality for a Latias with this nickname.

Moveset:

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
- Charm
- Mist Ball
- Thunder Wave
- Recover / Roar / Wish

A spin of some of the popular sets from the Gen IV Battle Tower Thread, in this case abandoning the Trick + Choice Scarf style to take advantage of Latias's signature move, Mist Ball, which has a 50% chance of lowering the opponent's special attack. Combined with Charm and Thunder Wave, Latias can shut down most Physical and Special Attackers and do a bit of damage in the process. Recover is slashed with Roar, if you prefer to force out certain opponents, or Wish, to safely switch to another Pokemon.

Nicknames:
One of the nicknames I would choose would be "Sophia" after Aeon of wisdom from Gnotiscism. I chose this nickname because Latias draws inspiration from the Aeons along with her brother who exist in pairs.

The second nickname I would choose would be "Valkyrie" after the plane units from the original Macross anime series. I choose this because of the jet-like design of Latias.

For the nickname I would say Amphitrite suits her the best judging by the trials you had to go through to get her. The name is of a greek goddess who going by this extract, likes to play "hard to get" :P

"At first, Amphitrite rebuffed Poseidon’s love persuasions and declined the honor. She fled to the Atlas, to the far end of the earth, though sure enough there were some good soles saying she was playing hard to get."

Source:

I think her moveset should reflect this,
Latias
Ev's: 252hp, 4 SpA, 252Spe
Moves:
-Attract
-Charm
-Mist Ball
-Roar
Not a competitive move set but one I think would best suit her "hard to get" role, Timid to flee quickly, Attract to get your attention, Charm to make you interested, Mist ball to give a sense of mystery and Roar to start the chase.

Well, I can try my hand at this.

Nickname:

Sol Avian - basically a nicer, Latin-like way to say "Bird of the Sun". Shiny Latias combination of yellow and white remind me of a bright, sunny weather with white fluffy clouds, so I thought this nickname would fit her perfectly.

To Lover - the first thing I noticed about your Latias is that you caught her in a Love Ball. This reminded me of doves, aka the love messengers. "To Lover" might be a way to refer to the loved one in the letter without revealing their name. Or if Latias were to be named that way, a gift to said lover. I hope this makes sense ^^

Moveset:

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 204 HP / 66 Def / 240 Spd
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Dragon Pulse

The point of this set it to abuse super-fast Roars with the combination of Rest and Sleep Talk. When Sleep Talk picks a move, it ignores normal move priority, allowing you to phaze the opponent before it gets the chance to do anything. With Latias' great speed and excellent bulk, this strategy can prove to be extremely lethal when used right. This set should be paired with entry hazards users such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn or Forretress, and a Heal Beller / Aromatheraphis for back-up - examples include common stall Pokemon like Blissey/Chansey, but also Vaporeon and Roserade. EVs allow you to outspeed positive natured base 108 Pokemon like Infernape and Terrakion. At first I wanted to go straight for 252 speed, but then I figured out that Latias has no business risking a speed tie with offensive behemoths such as Latios or Gengar. 204 HP hits Leftovers number, and the rest was put into Defense to cushion the blow from various physical attacks such as Close Combat.

i can be a distributor.. if not, here's my entry for the nickname: NeoDrake. i chose this because latias looks like a futuristic pokemon with a dragon-like twist.

Hey man, Wonderfull giveaway, i must say that Latias is my favourite OU pokemon ATM, and the set i love the most is :

Latias, Timid (Leftovers)
Ev. 252 Hp, 4Def, 252 Speed
Moveset:
Dragon Pulse
Calm Mind
Hidden Power Fire
Recover

this set has little differents from the basic one, but i've found thatIt works really really good, after a lot of playing i've discovered that hp Fire removes some of the bigger trheath in the metagame, and of the latias threaths.

I love the name Latias, but if a i have to nickname her i'd give her the name of Kagura, from the Manga Gintama, 'cause they both look really cute, but if they goes Berserk they're unstoppable.

Or i would nickname her Alexstraza, like the queen of red (i know, shiny latias is goldXD) dragons in the world of warcraft lore, This Alexstraza is powerfull but mercyfull too, like i think Latias win.

Hope to win this 'cause i really love latias, Thank u so much for the giveaway!

Great giveaway!
I only have one name to suggest, and that is Empress. It is the best female-only pokemon, and this name reflects that. She also happens to be gold in shiny form.

Set (SubCM):
Latias@Leftovers
Timid, 252HP/4Sp.atk/252Speed
Substitute
Calm Mind
Dragon Pulse
Surf/Thunderbolt/Hp fire

This set allows Latias to set up in the face of something that can only win by toxicing it. The sub is there because it blocks status while also giving latias a free move, so to speak. CM is there to boost her sp.atk and sp.def. Dragon Pulse is reliable STAB, and the final move is for coverage and should be changed according to your team.
Once again, great giveaway :)

Honestly, I would nickname the Latias "Skygem". The name's kind of a given. It travels alot in the sky, and is a really beautiful Pokemon, and Gem when used to describe something or someone, means "precious", or "beautiful".
And the moveset would be a simple, yet effective Special Moveset.

Latias @White Herb/Leftovers
Evs: 4 HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 252Spe
Moves: Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse, Toxic, Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball

So, pretty much this moveset is just trying to damage to your opponent, but it's got a few little twists here and there. So if you choose White Herb as your item, then you will probably want to go with Draco Meteor as your choice of move, otherwise, go with Dragon Pulse. Thunderbolt is there, just in case your opponent has a Gyarados, or anything else that could be a major threat. Shadow Ball is there just in case you run into Pokes such as Cresselia, which can be a major hassle trying to take down. And Toxic is there for a the small element of surprise, which can come in rather handy when battling Pokes which are resistant against Latias, such as Blissey.

Awesome giveaway!

Nickname:

Seraphina
- I would name it Seraphina because it is a female take on the name Seraphim which means highest ranking angel

Moveset:

Latias @ Leftovers
Evs: 252 HP, 252 Spe Defense, 4 Speed
Modest Nature (+Spe Attack, -Attack)
- Wish
- Protect
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder Wave

I would nickname her: Aurum, from the Latin word for "Gold".
The name fits with Shiny Latias being "Golden" in colour, and that you caught it in HeartGold^^

Set idea:
Latias (F)
Timid: +Spe, -Atk
EV's: 248 HP, 76 Def, 184 Spe
Recover/Wish
Ice Beam
Calm Mind
Psychic/Surf

A Physical Defensive Latias, 248 HP Ev's to live longer, Def to take Physical hits better, and the speed to troll Max Spe +Spe natured non scarfed Pokémon (Landorus in particular)

Aphrodite (Greek goddess of love)
Latias@leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/Sp Def
Moveset:
Healing Wish
Reflect
Light Screen
Dragon Pulse/Thunder Wave

Meet Aphrodite, the Goddess of love. She loves so much she is willing to die for her friends.

By die for them I mean use Healing Wish. This set is similar to Cresselias Lunar Dance set, but Latias has one a niche for it. A base 110 Speed. Uninvested, she has 256 Speed, which can be very useful in pulling off the Healing Wish.

The EV spread is for maximum bulk, kinda standard on a support set, but effective nonetheless.

The purpose of this set it this: Resurrect a dying/crippled sweeper. As bulky as she is, Aphrodite can set up screens, then die to fully restore another poke. The final move is a choice. Dragon Pulse will hit nearly everything for neutral coverage, as well as prevent Aphrodite from struggle via Taunt. However, Thunder Wave can seriously Cripple a fast poke and make setting up Screens a little easier.

Nickname: ALCYONEx7 or HALCYON. The reasoning behind that is the myth of alcyone , which draws similarities to Latias, both as to how the pokemon looks, and the fact that in the myth Alcyone revived as a Halcyon bird after her death, which draws similarities to the ending of the Latios/Latias movie (in case anyone watched it). The Halcyon bird is also a mythical bird representing peace; Latias' belevolent appearance reflects that thoroughly. The x7 is to make the name a bit more mechanical, as latias does have a design resembling a jet plane...but that just maybe my slight obsession with mecha genre (robots, airplanes...etc) talking, lol.

As for the moveset:

EVs: 252 spatk, 252 speed. (or 252 hp/180 speed/80 def if a bulkier version is preferred).
item: leftovers

refresh
calm mind
recover
dragon pulse

The moveset will allow latias to use calm mind without worrying about status.
The fact that it can cure itself also draws similarities to the revival of Alcyone, which ties in nicely with the nickname.

My proposed nickname for Latias would be Athena. In Greek mythology, Ares, Athena's brother, is more powerful and seen as more force oriented. Athena is seen as more disciplined and strategic. While Latios has his 130 Sp Atk to blast holes through teams, Latias needs to be more subtle and strike when it best suits her. Even so, Athena disliked wars, and only used conflict as a means to solve a greater problem. I find this similar to Latias' role in her film, Pokemon Heroes.

As for a set, there is one I have been thinking of:

Latias @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 HP, 78 Def, 180 Spd
Moves:
Psycho Shift
Toxic/Thunder Wave
Recover
Dragon Pulse

The purpose of this set is to weaken/eliminate Latias' counters. Many times, the only type of Pokemon that would switch in to a Latias is a Steel-type, meant to counter the STAB Dragon attack. Scizor and Metagross come to mind. Another - non Steel - is Tyranitar. All of them use their attack stat, which would be crippled by a burn. As a second option for other walls, you could either use Toxic or Thunder Wave, depending on what type of team you have. Toxic is obviously more stall oriented, while Thunder Wave allows you to cripple sweepers that switch in, such as a ScarfTran. Recover for healing, and Dragon Pulse for obvious reasons.

The EVs are set up so you outspeed Neutral nature 252 Speed Scarf Tyranitar, so you can burn him before he does damage to you. The rest are invested in HP and Defense for maximum survivability. I find this to be very much like Athena, using smaller, more tactical strikes against an opponent to great effect.

Latias:nickname/Oribella "Beautiful golden child" it latin.

Q:Why was this name choosen
A: Latias has a childlike look to it and this being a shiny latias and to me a beautiful one I felt this name would suit it very well.

Moveset:
charge beam
wish
swift
safe gaurd

Q:Why was this moveset choosen?
A:I chose these moves because I feel it all revolves around the meaning "golden child". All of the moves are bright when used in battle or yellow sticking to the theme that I choose "golden child".

EV's:
252 HP
126 sp.att
126 sp.def

Q:Why was this ev set choosen?
A:With the moves wish and safegaurd this golden child takes on more of a lead purpose. Set up safeguard and wish and get out of their. Its ev's are designed to take hits on the special side because it is sp.def bulky. It also is design to give them as well. That is why the charge beam, sp.att ev investment was choosen.

Nature:Gentle sp.def+/-def

Q:Why was gentle nature choosen?
A: A child is usally a kind, young person that is new to the world and still learning. So the nature "gentle" fit the term "golden child" perfectly.

Item:Nugget
Q:Why was nugget choosen for a item?
A:=p Just here for kicks it has wish for recovery and I wanted to make this more interesting then serious.

Nicknames. I have two. Either kasu, a shortening of mistys Japanese name just because latias reminds me of misty a little bit because shes awesome. Or. TIAMAT: Babylonian name composed of the Sumerian elements ti "life," and ama "mother," hence "mother of life."*In mythology, this is the name of a primeval sea dragon goddess, the embodiment of Chaos, and mother of the first gods.
A good way to try to capture latiass awesomeness.

Moveset.
Latias
Timid
Item: leftovers/choice scarf depending on speed or health desired
Dragon pulse
Psyshock
Hidden power fighting or ground
Surf/recover
Evs - 252 sp atk 252 speed 4 hp. Helps it be as fast as possible and deal as much damage as it can.
Dragon pulse is a must for dealing neutral damage to anything but steel types.
Psy shock. Deals less damage then psychic but helps against special def walls.
Surf gives latias at least neutral coverage against everything except empoleon and ferrothorn.
Recover can be used instead since hp fighting will get at least neutral coverage against all steel types until a steel ghost type appears.
Hp fighting covers the last two and gives help against other steel types. So does hp ground. One won't work on ghosts the other on levitaters and flyers. So that's just on preference.

For nicknames I would suggest the following:

Citrine: Citrine is the name of a brilliant yellow gemstone. I think that naming Latias after a jewel is fitting, because Latias itself is rare because it's a wanderer, and a shiny Latias is especially rare. Naming Latias after this jewel emphasizes both its rarity and it's shining, radiant appearance.

Midas: King Midas, from Greek mythology, was a king who turned everything he touched into gold, effectively turning everything and everyone around him into cold, lifeless metal. I think this name is appropriate for two reasons: First, shiny Latias has a golden appearance which makes it look as if part of it is made of gold. Second, the moveset I lay out below focusing on crippling and disabling opponents, much like Midas's "Golden Touch" crippled those around him.

And, without further ado, the moveset:

Latias@Leftovers
Timid Nature
252 HP/ 4 SpAtk/ 252 Speed
-Charm
-Recover
-Toxic
-Draco Meteor

This set is designed to cripple and wear down an opponent's team by spreading toxic to the vast majority of their Pokemon. This is how it works: Charm cripples physical attackers, which are extremely common in today's metagame and are the most common switch-ins to Latias, given its low defense. Tyranitar, Scrafty, Scizor, etc. are all unable to touch Latias after their attack has been slashed by Charm. This will cause them to switch out to a different counter, giving Latias a chance to spread toxic to more of the opponent's Pokemon. Assuming the user has entry hazards in play, this cycle of Charming and switching will quickly wear down an entire team through both toxic damage and entry damage. Also, it should be noted that when facing special attackers, Latias can simply wall them with its massive SpDef and Recover, while toxic runs its course.

Recover, rather obviously, provides a reliable recovery move that allows Latias to stall as toxic wears down its opponents.

Draco Meteor allows Latias to OHKO frailer Pokemon such as Gengar, Infernape, Cloyster, etc. without relying on toxic and also puts a large dent in many walls. It also ensures that Latias doesn't Struggle if Taunted and provides a damaging move to use when not using its three support moves.

The given EVs are to maximize survivability while still maintaining a speed tie with Gengar, who could do some serious damage with Shadow Ball despite Latias's monstrous SpDef but who is also easily KOed by Draco Meteor.

Final Summation: This Latias moveset provides for some deadly Toxic stalling. It can cripple physically-based foes and doesn't care about specially-based ones due to its high SpAtk. When combined with a teammate who can set up Stealth Rock and/or Spikes, this Latias can very easily wear down an entire team through a combination of entry hazard damage, toxic damage, and powerful blows from Draco Meteor.

And finally, many thanks to stephenjm for this amazing giveaway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)