Why are the cute Pokemon not more popular?

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Talking about popularity, the intermediate results of Pokemon Grand Election is are out: (internet list goes up to top 100)
grand election13076864_1241155992578757_4904594205777874717_n.jpg

http://www.pokemon-movie.jp/election/intermediate.php

As you can see from the list, popularity of a certain Pokemon is very difficult to predict, and there are obvious joke votes such as Magnemite.
It also fluctuates a lot every year, depending on whether the merchandise reminds people of "hey! this Pokemon exists!!"

However, the rule of thumb is, cooler Pokemon ARE indeed more popular than cuter Pokemon. Cute Pokemon rarely ever make good results on vote lists, as I have observed during both Pokken votes AND Movie Grand Election votes.

Pokemon I'm surprised to see on the list: Ekans, Arbok, Oshawott, Beautifly.

Pokemon that I thought were popular but did poorly: Gardevoir (39) , Gengar (51), Metagross (60) <-- Considering Accelgor is 61!!, Salamence (69), Sceptile (70), Flygon (80)

Don't hate on Magnemite ;_;

Some of the results are pretty unexpected. Strange to see Zygarde as high as 10th and Genesect as 7th. It seems this list is somewhat biased toward newer generation, with Greninja topping it and without the usual Charizard/Mewtwo/Blastoise or something top 3 usually seen in popularity contests. This is a good thing if you ask me, I feel some designs are grossly overrated. Other unexpectedly ranked Pokémon are things like Armaldo, Meditite, and Ampharos.

Anyway, this list shows once more how cool>cute when it comes to Pokémon. Most of the ranked Pokès, even the cute ones, are strong battlers.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Strange to see Archen over Gengar, and Blastoise all the way down at 86. Umbreon at 94 and Goomy at 72 are also strange, I thought the entire Internet had been fawning over those since forever? Seeing Armaldo above Garchomp, or Meditite above Zapdos is also quite unexpected.

Cresselia~~

Strange to see Archen over Gengar, and Blastoise all the way down at 86. Umbreon at 94 and Goomy at 72 are also strange, I thought the entire Internet had been fawning over those since forever? Seeing Armaldo above Garchomp, or Meditite above Zapdos is also quite unexpected.
Clarification: this isn't really an internet vote.
Methods of voting:
1. Bephysically at Pokemon Center
2. Vote via Corocoro code.
3. vote via movie ticket code

So basically, you can't vote umless you are either in Japan, or have purchased something.

Japanese children (and manchildren???) confirmed for shit taste, my nigga カメックス should be #1 always Charizard can go fuck itself.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Why are the bottom two rows duplicated but separated by a line??? Strangest looking infographic I have ever seen. 53 Mons on this list?

Also, I'm not really sure what you mean. Nearly half of the top 20 would be considered "Cute" mons.

Mew/Pikachu/Sylveon/Meloetta/Eevee/Jirachi/Diancie/Manaphy/Victini are all in the top 20 on this list. Hell you could proably throw in Keldeo there and make it 50/50. I'd say that is pretty popular. This list shows almost nothing like what the title of this threads asks.

Cute Pokemon on this list ARE popular. I am pretty surprised the highest ranked non-advertised mon is Archeops... I know he was pretty badass ingame in Gen 5, but never expected him to be this popular overall. Are there any %'s attached to this or is it simply "These are the results"?

Cresselia~~

Turns out the unpopular Pokemon that showed up in the votes are because their Japanese names begin with A, and appear on page 1 (of 12) on the voting page.

This goes to Arbok, Ekans, Beautifly, Armaldo, Accelgor, and Archeops.

Oh bummer...

I think we should also keep in mind that these sorts of lists are made up by asking for everyone's number 1 favourite and hence are not indicative of popularity beyond that. Gardevoir, Salamence and Blastoise for instance are likely much more popular than the list indicates, but may be somewhere in a lot of peoples' top 5s or top 10s rather than their absolute favourite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)