Why do people think Christianity is better than Islam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't hold a grudge against Christians, I keep in touch with my friends from my old church and whilst there's the odd evangelical idiot ["It's a beautiful day" "Yeah, God made it a beautiful day, and a beautiful world, and - YOU'RE GOING TO BURN IN HELL IF YOU DON'T COME BACK TO CHURCH"] they are wonderful people.
However, these same wonderful people have sat in a room with me and discussed how AIDS is a curse sent down by God to warn gay people about the sins of their lifestyle [and this is a pretty moderate congregation - only a Baptist church]. Since I was fourteen and still by today's standards fairly in the closet bisexual at the time, it - and incidents like it - left something of a vast impression on my psyche.
Yes, they'd be nice to a gay person should they meet them, but they'd also think there's something fundamentally wrong with them and I can't stand that.
Anyway, I ramble.
I'm Marxist, so I'm bound to hate religion remember ;)

Christianity is not better than Islam or any other religion.

Belive whatever you want that's fine for everyone as long as you follow some simple rules besides the bible or koran or whatever

- don't annoy everone else. honestly we don't want to be saved by you! Don't bother! We probably believe something else already anyway. Keep it private

- Things advance! Back when the Bible was written People didn't know about evolution, people die before they are 300 years old, virgins dont have kids - the Bible was written by humans not your god they make mistakes once in a while. It does not matter you can still belive in god. But just accept that you don't have to take everything literary.

If you don't believe that your religion is better than any other religion, then whats the point of worshipping a religion? I believe that my religion is the best, correct, and true, and that's why I worship it. If i didn't, then I would worship a different religion, simple as that.

And people probably associate Muslims with terrorists because of recent events. Its easy for you to say, "Why do people think Muslims are terrorists," when you haven't had foreigners come into your country, hijack a few planes, smash them into a national icon closely associated with your economy, and have those icons destroyed, killing a couple thousand innocent people. Honestly, I wouldn't know what to feel if someone started making fun of the World Trade Towers, or any other terrorist attack. Its wrong, and the hate is understandable, especially if one has a family member, or close friend who died in an attack.

And be careful with your historical accuracy. The Crusades were actually called for by the Byzantine version of the pope (dunno a whole lot about Eastern Orthodox) asked his Western equivalent for help against the invading Turks. It just snow balled from there.

As for your views, remember, Turkey, compared to the other Middle Eastern nations, is very, very liberal and accepting. You said that you lived in Western Turkey, and so I am assuming the Anatolia area? If so, that area is more Western in historical and cultural aspects, meaning a much more accepting view.

And Akuchi, modern feminism is a joke. It does very much preach Female dominance over Males. If they were just preaching equality, then very few people would have a problem with it, but it doesn't. Its just as ignorant as most views of females throughout Europe in the Early Modern Era.

oh, fucking hell, no it doesn't. I've been involved in the feminist 'scene' for what, nearly six years now, I think I know a hell of a lot more about it than you do, sweetie. don't be so fucking ignorant until you've got even the vaguest of ideas what you're talking about.

for one, modern feminism isn't a single cohesive movement - but honestly, you find me a major undercurrent of feminist thought that preaches supremacy over men (and please, the SCUM manifesto hardly counts). Go on. find one.

I think you'll find you can't.

Do you think that you should be treated exactly like a man?

Simple question sweetie.

And sorry for going off topic, but radicalism needs to be taken care of.

I have the feeling this is an extremely loaded question - should I say 'yes' I'll get Deck Knight's rhetoric about how I can now expect a punch in the face, should I say 'no' I'll get something about how you told me so and what an evil misandric bitch I am.

I think I should have the same rights and opportunities as men. That good enough for you?
I think I shouldn't face harassment because of my gender, I think sexual violence needs to end.
That's all I'll put down for now since it's late and I'm tired, but yeah.

Here, I don't think i'm explaining my views well enough.

I've know people who've been on the feminist train for 20+ years, so compared to you, they are seasoned veterans. And more importantly, we have discussed these issues and topics. I believe that women and men are equal and should be treated equally. Women should be treated exactly like men in every aspect (except for physically impossible things). I am an advid supporter for this.

More importantly, however, these women were firm Christian believers. To people like you, they would support Christianity in a heart beat. You have to remember that everything evolves over time. Were those things wrong back then? No. Are those things wrong today? Yes. Churches across the world condemn stuff like rape and unequal treatment for women. If you didn't know, the Catholic church is a strong supporter for equal women's rights (though they view that only men can hold positions within the church due to the precedent set by Jesus). Most Protestant churches now have no problem with women being pastors and preachers; thus is how far we have come as a society.

tl;dr version

I think that women are equal to men for various reasons.

then what the fuck is your problem? that I'm not a christian? I've already explained my reasons for avoiding religion, itt.

I just find that too many feminist groups are advocating that women are superior to men in everyway shape and form. From what I infered from your posts, I almost get that feeling, so sorry if I assumed something wrong.

And it is fine if you are not religious, but there's no reason to blatantly tell someone that their religion is bad and evil and preaches inequality.

I have absolutely never found a feminist group that preaches supremacy to men, if you could point me in the direction of one..

Okay then.

And they really aren't "organized" per ce, its just a bunch of bitchy girls who think that they are better than everyone.

That logic could also apply to Christianity.

"I don't know of any specific Christian group that says 'all sinners will burn in hell forever', but there are some dumb Christians who say that. Christianity is a joke."

Except.. a basic tenet of christianity is 'I am the way, the truth, and the life, and none shall get to the Father but through me' so the two aren't really comparable, are they?

StrangerDanger

RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Okay then.

And they really aren't "organized" per ce, its just a bunch of bitchy girls who think that they are better than everyone.
holy wow you're a jackass

not just for this post, but for about every post you've made. I mean, you're pretty adamant about how you know there are 'some feminist groups' who preach supremacy over men, only to remove the veil and show it's really 'some bitchy girls who think that they're better than everyone.'

Maybe they aren't feminists? Maybe they're just bitchy girls?

EDIT: sorry to step in your territory kewchi, i'm just reading this thread and it makes me want to hurt something. Why is this still open?

Kk, view me as a jackass. If would've read and understand my post, i said that the feminists who i've known have also been bitchy girls, meaning that that could've been the reason.

umbarsc, thats not what i've been trying to say.

It's sad that people like that left those kinds of impressions of Christianity on you akuchi. As a Christian I think it's perfectly acceptable to question certain morals and beliefs that other Christians hold, as well as the Bible itself, which I think is fair to interpret deeper than the surface. Many people believe faith will get you to heaven, but I think even by standards of the Bible that that isn't true, maybe it's also because my concept of heaven is way different than most people's. So as much as I would hope you come to terms with your past Christian background, the God I put my faith in and feel like I have an ever so slight connection with would surely "allow" a good person into "his kingdom". Anyways this debate made me consider many things about my faith, so thanks I suppose, and my humble return of thanks is me, a Christian, sympathizing with you on things other Christians may not ?_?

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
SD is right, this degenerated very quickly.

Probably should've been closed a while ago, that's my fault.

I really don't understand what the deal is with people thinking that Jews are terrorists.

The Jews did absolutely nothing, In fact, they try to avoid things like terrorism and wars (not including Lebanon 3 years ago).

And it was BUSH who knocked down the Twin Towers, NOT Muslims or Jews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)