Why is pokemon so addicting?

I don't find Pokemon addicting and haven't really had a phase of obsessively playing it since I first discovered that you could have any lvl 100 uber with any move on NetBattle lol. I don't think I played pokemon, or at least took a break from Smogon from 06-07 ish and got into DP quite a bit later than everyone and I haven't played pokemon regularly for about 4 months. I'm not in the pokemon groove right now but in the past, I enjoyed pokemon for the competitive nature of it. I'm a good battler but I'd never really proved it so laddering was an incentive for me and I liked testing things that I'd never used and constantly trying to make a team better or think of new ideas or strategies. I keep coming here though, because I like the community in general and I have an investment in a couple of projects here like Little Cup and CAP that I'd like to see succeed.

It used to be very addicting for me during the old RSE times on Netbattle, played pokemon a lot back then for 2 years until DPP came out, which pretty much killed NB and RSE, so I stopped playing since then, as DPP sucks in my opinion.

Back then tried out as many unorthodox movesets as I could think of that can work. Many possibilities makes a game interesting and in-depth, and if there are more stuff left to try out, you will want to keep going back to playing it. And if there are any particular strategies that are more fun to use than the other stuff you wanted to try out, you will probably want to use those certain strategies again, hence even more time spent playing.

Since DPP has come out, I've moved onto StarCraft and DotA, the many possibilities and combinations rule still applies to those as well.

@sbc: So, you're one of those on and off people?
I dunno, I'm still pretty involved in pokemon, and I have been posting regularly here for about 18 months now. Having not played for a while, I'm past the stage where I don't have any real incentive to play again, especially considering that DP is pretty stale atm, you need to have the same certain pokemon on your team to deal Latias, Tyranitar etc. I will probably start playing when SB2 comes out and the HGSS stuff is all implemented. I think I last stopped playing pokemon in 06 for similar reasons but back then I didn't really have any connection to the community.

I'm one of those totally addicted players. The things that's got me hooked and keeps me from studying, doing chores and other stuff is competitive Pokemon. Maybe its the Pokemon and their cool looking appearance, maybe its the sensation of winning a match or maybe its just the deadly, but fun killer prediction. Everyday I come back from school I end up on the Shoddy Battle team builder starting a new team. Its just the Pokemon that attract my total attention. The moves of the Pokemon, the skills of the trainer and the passion to get on the leader board is just too hard to resist.

I stuck with it ever since the earliest USA dubs, pulling my chair up to the TV for delicious, widescreen pleasure. Hell, even my main is Jigglypuff.

The lighthearted nature of Pokemon as a whole means any age group can get into it, and there are many ways to enjoy it. Luck has quite a big part, and everyone likes to gamble. Some things you hate and never pickup again(like smoking), this is too humble to flat-out quit.

I feel like the reason I dont think I have ever been able to leave pokemon is the fact that, I just completely grew up with it. Pokemon Blue was the first game I ever had, and I was just obsessed with Pokemon as a little kid. Getting rid of pokemon seems like getting rid of a chunk of myself :(

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Agreein with diinbong. The addicting thing is the community, not the game itself. I have been playing pokemon since I was born, but it was not until I found Smogon that I really couldn't be able to stop playing. Now, if somehow Smogon disappeared, im sure 80% of the people that were part of Smogon would be instantly "unaddicted" to Pokemon.

Just my 2 cents.

ReyScarface said:
Agreein with diinbong. The addicting thing is the community, not the game itself. I have been playing pokemon since I was born, but it was not until I found Smogon that I really couldn't be able to stop playing. Now, if somehow Smogon disappeared, im sure 80% of the people that were part of Smogon would be instantly "unaddicted" to Pokemon.
This game doesn't have as much support as it does on accident, though; the fact that we're currently at a stage where most members only hang around to talk about the game means more about the structure of the community than of the game itself. Sure, "if Smogon disappeared right now," maybe a lot of members wouldn't have a reason to play Pokemon anymore, but if the community itself were centered more around competition than analysis, that wouldn't be the case.

I will now throw out a canned answer.
Pokémon is fun. This is why I play it.
YES.

I've been with Pokemon all my life really. Since I was 5, if I believe.
Everyone at school knows I love it :D
And pretty much Pokemon takes up around 10% of my life, literally.

I play it because it is fun! It also takes alot of skill,intelectuallity,classiness,sportsmanship and a sense of humor, whether or not you're playing it because you're on a site like Smogon, or whether you just play it for fun, or in your spare time.

But my opinion on this game may be different as I'm only 15. Compared to an 18, or 19 year old, maybe even people in their early 20's.

Even if I have a lot of school work and can't play for 3 days, I still love Pokemon. Who knows, maybe in the next few years or so, I'll realize there are bigger things in life, and stop playing, but for the time being, that idea is buried away in the farthest part of my mind.

Pokemon, in one short word, is amazing. end.

I go through stages where i really get into Battling, then other times i cba and think its a waste of time. I've been going through these stages ever since D/P.

I think it's fun because its competition and very intellectual. You always have to think about what you're going to do next turn.

From what I've played and seen, I don't really quite see what's inherently addicting about Pokemon in particular over other strategic or competitive games, but gaming in general can be addicting. Personally, I love to compete, so I imagine that would keep bringing me back when I start pouring more time into this game.

Perhaps you have an addictive / obsessive personality and crave what currently excites you more than normal? I know a lot of people like that (many of them ended up into WoW ._.)

it's deceptively simple. there's something in it for people of all skill levels. you can sit back, content to level up and beat the elite four. or you can get into the natures, EV training, IV's and competitive battling. or you can focus on raising your pokemon for contests. or completing the pokedex. or testing yourself at the battle frontier. there's an infinite amount of ways to play the game. no matter how far into the game you are, there's always something else to do.

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Pokemon is fun and intellectual. Two things I like a lot. However I sometimes go through periods where I don't play at all for months. That sucks when you get back into the DS games because you have to relearn all the tricks to breeding- trust me

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Ingame pokemon is pretty addictive, and it's because you have a lot of goals.

At the same time you are trying to catch em all, trying to train your team up to be as strong as it can be, trying to explore the region, trying to collect all the badges and beat the elite 4, and trying to defeat team rocket.

The idea is that at any point in the game you should be thinking "if I play for another couple of minutes I can accomplish a minor objective to at least one of those goals".

IE you might be saying "ok I'll just play until I defeat this gym" but then by the time you achieve that one of your 6 pokemon might be just about to evolve, so you'll play on until that happens, by which stage you'll come across a new pokemon you want to catch etc.. It's good game design basically..

But yeah, any competitive game will be addictive if you want to excel at it..

Have a nice day.

hip said it best

but also it's worth noting that basically anything enjoyable that you have essentially limitless access to can become addictive if you allow it to be

I always found pokemon to be addicting because I grew up with it. There are numerous times where I'll say I'm gonna quit forever but I never do. I originally wasn't going to get D/P because I didn't have a DS but I bought a DS and got diamond anyway. There's just so much to pokemon and then when I found out about competititve battling a whole new world just opened up for me.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I said "I quit Pokémon" about 4-5 years ago after quite an overdose.

Guess I now got it out of my system entirely, I never felt like going back to it.

(there are things that are more addicting!)

What is all this 'addicting' stuff? I thought that was a participle. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't addictive be used?

Though, on topic. I'd have to agree with Hip, the gratification of achieving goals kept me glued to my gameboy for a good half a decade. Perhaps the feeling of control could also be appealing?

I got bored of pokemon is 2007 and proceeded to take a 2 year break but to be honest I kind of missed the little critters so I came back...

Pokemon is so addicting because it's a game that we all grew up with and now it's almost a test of intellectual skill what with the team building and the battling. I originally joined netbattle in early 2004 because I got bored of playing my friends and I've been playing online since, with the exception of the break.

I recently got back into it in the summer and I have to say it is good to be playing again. So for me pokemon is addicting because I see it as a good way to keep my brain working as well as meeting some really cool people on here. It's nice to know that there are others out there like me who at 19 years of age still play this game.
What a coincidence, we have the same story rofl.

I had to quit playing Pokemon and competitive battling back in 2007 since college was so damn hard and I take Accountancy which is a very tedious course.
Then HG and SS came which reeled me to play Pokemon where I will plan to sell my PSP for a DS Lite just to play them.

I could say that Pokemon was really addicting because it was my first game which I played on my first console for the very first time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)