SM OU Why use Rocks Dog when we got Rocks Bug (Peaked top 50)

frisoeva

LETS FUCKING NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Introduction

Hello all, second post on Smogon. I've been around since late 2015, so quite short, and have been practicing my battling skills. Nothing more to say so let's get straight to the team.

Teambuilding Process

So first of all I was working on some stallbreaker tapu koko set since I absolutely hate facing stall, when I found it wasn't that good I decided to use this double screens koko and 5 set-up sweepers

So now that my koko didn't work against stall I hate to get a suicide lead w/ rocks which also destroys stall.

Thirdly I initially wanted to build around double screens double dance lando-t, so it was on the squad

Then I added zygarde because it's bulk is so high and it gives some priority

Next up I needed to add magearna since I needed all S tier mons in the team, as well as providing set-up, bulk and amazing typing

Lastly I needed something against set-up. First I had Mimikyu, but found it on the weak side, after that I tried Ditto for a bit, also no succes, so then I just slapped on hawlucha.

The Team

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
So I chose Tapu Koko because of it's good speed, ability to surprise with screens and the fact it can u-turn out to some threat after setting up a screen. Be sure to not always set up both screens, so you can start setting up earlier and preserve the health on your Koko for late screens. Also try to preserve Tapu Koko to be able to set up for Hawlucha.

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
I feel like whilst be say this set is good, still not many use it and so don't expect it. DD Lando punches holes early game whilst also being able to dent bulky steels like Celesteela and Ferrothorn. Landorus also often lures a water shuriken from ash-greninja so you can just switch into the next mon, Zygarde!

Zygarde @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 160 HP / 216 Atk / 28 SpD / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Coil
Like Landorus, this thing also punches holes early game, weakening defensive pokemon like Tangrowth and Landorus

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Close Combat
My most common lead, stall-breaker and just general annoyance to fat team with Mew. Against stall you set up rocks unmega'd on the will o wisp or protect from Sableye. After that you proceed to click sd and facade. People often switch to Skarmory or Zapdos after the sd so you can 2hko it and kill the rest.

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Shift Gear
- Trick Room / Flash Cannon / Calm Mind
Magearna gives me some breathing room against stuff like Greninja as well as opposing Magearnas. It is also my steel of the team which every team needs right. Lastly I'm doubting between a few moves. Trick room to seriously improve my matchup against trick room, since that matchup is quite weak. Flash Cannon is there to hit mega Mawile and Magearna harder. Lastly Calm Mind does what it is know for, just help against stuff like opposing Magearna and Tangrowth

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
Lastly, every hyper offense team needs something against set up pokemon I feel like, and I decided for Hawlucha. I gave it enough speed to speed creep scarf Greninja as well as being able to live a Water Shuriken from an evolved Ash-Greninja after rocks. Hawlucha is also my go-to rain check, since the rest of the squat just dies to Swampert.

Conclusion

I think it's a nice fun team to use, and hope people will like it as much as I do although I thing there is definitely room for improvement. I'm looking forward to the rates!

Proof of getting top 50

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

Zygarde @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 160 HP / 216 Atk / 28 SpD / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Coil

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Close Combat

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Shift Gear
- Trick Room

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch

EDIT:

Oops, forgot to add some replays.

Last edited:
very good team but ill will suggest cm on magearna over trick room. i find trick room counter active to zygarde , lando-t , and hawlucha setting up late game. also cm allows you to better take on lele and other special attacking mons.

Been trying out this team and I recommend changing to Figy berry on Zygarde and using calm mind as the last move on magearna. Love the team.

Hi frisoeva,
really like the original idea behind your team building and I feel it has a great potential. Just a thing sounds weird to me: why did you decide to run Mega Pinsir and you don't have any way of removing Stealth Rocks from the field since, we know, they give huge problems to the aftermentioned pokemon to come in and act as a late game cleaner or else?
Also, I can't see reasonable motivation behind your members choices: for instance, what kind of support does Zygarde provide to your team? It is hard to imagine without having a look at replays. This is going to be more of an advice, anyway your team doesn't seem to have big holes to me

Hi frisoeva,
really like the original idea behind your team building and I feel it has a great potential. Just a thing sounds weird to me: why did you decide to run Mega Pinsir and you don't have any way of removing Stealth Rocks from the field since, we know, they give huge problems to the aftermentioned pokemon to come in and act as a late game cleaner or else?
Also, I can't see reasonable motivation behind your members choices: for instance, what kind of support does Zygarde provide to your team? It is hard to imagine without having a look at replays. This is going to be more of an advice, anyway your team doesn't seem to have big holes to me
In his team Pinsir doesn't really function as a cleaner, it's closer to an early game breaker and also functions as a stall killer. Also this team is basically hyper offense so there is no need for removal of stealth rock. I've been using this team and tbh most of the time Zygarde ends of finishing/cleaning for me. Almost any of the mons can function as a cleaner on this team; Magearna, Hawlucha, Zygarde, and Lando can all boost their speed stat (and their atk/spatk respectively). He has some replays, but I can show you something from my experience.

These replays are from my alt:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-603084718 In this game I break with lando + hawlucha because they have good matchups, and then after they get revenge killed I go into Zygarde and start setting up and he can't really do anything because he can't kill me. Also the Figy berry change I recommended came into play :].

Hi clubtropper ,
I see what you mean and agree with your point of view but I was not criticizing the team itself, just the way it's been exposed. I watched all the replays and they were fundamental to understand the structure and purpose of the team. That said, I'm not going to rate the battle side since I feel it is solid enough and doesn't need so many changes.
Have a nice day :)

PS: Figy Berry is the best choice

Hey, man your team seems really interesting indeed dual screener tapu koko is a really good idea in an HO, this mon is fast, this mon has a good bulk nevertheless so it can setup easily screens.
But I'll probably play a full hp and full speed timid spread because in this team Koko is not use for its offensive presence its goal is to set up screens and to setup the electric terrain for Hawlucha. Double Dance landorus therian is one of the biggest threat of this metagame imo so it finds a good niche in an HO. Moreover many teams are not prepared for DD Lando, so it can really surprise people. Pinsir's ability mold breaker is excellent in your team indeed it increases your MU against stalls which is required in the current metagame. Imo Magearna DD finds its niche here but 3 moves can also be a solid option.

To conclude except your spread of Tapu Koko your team seems pretty good. I hope that my rate help you thank you for reading and see ya !!!

Last edited:

frisoeva

LETS FUCKING NOOOOOOOOOOOO
Thank you all for the responses. I will have to agree, figy berry zygarde will probably be much better. Moreover I will be trying max hp koko to see if thats the better option.

Hi frisoeva,
Here's the Zygarde set in action if you wanna see some "support" lol
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-604295788

I'm having a hard time figuring out this team. How are you making pinsir an effective lead? It seems to get OHKO'd by everything (I see lead greninjas in half my games). Where does pinsir lead actually serve a role?

Also, is it just me or does wish/protect unaware clefable completely 6-0 this team?

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time figuring out this team. How are you making pinsir an effective lead? It seems to get OHKO'd by everything (I see lead greninjas in half my games). Where does pinsir lead actually serve a role?

Also, is it just me or does wish/protect unaware clefable completely 6-0 this team?
From my experience trying out this team I saw Pinsir functions as a perfect lead against stall teams: indeed, once it gets burned by Sableye's WoW it is 6-0.
Unaware clefable is troublesome for the team and it needs to be played around with Koko's tbolt, Lando's EQ and Magerna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)