Why we need a "Noob Tier" and how it will revolutionize the metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, This is my first post to Smogon (although I've been competing in Smogon's Shoddy server for a couple months now) so be nice.

Have you ever been in a battle where you the opponent d/cs while screaming "CRIT HAX" just because you got a lucky critical hit?

Have you ever been dq'd because two of your pokemon were holding Focus Sash?

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, there should be a new tier where not only are all pokemon allowed (like Uber) and there are no clauses. (Like Wifi's No Restrictions ,but for online simulators.)

The clauses were invented in order to stop noobs from invading standard metagame with cheap "hax" and combos. So fine, let players enjoy OU knowing Spore-Breloom is no longer a threat ,but why can't players create their own tier where every noob strategy is put to the test.

There wouldn't be any cheap maneuvers because virtually everything would be considered cheap move. If everything is allowed, the playing field would be fair for everybody in Noob Tier.

Just think about it.
Wouldn't it be interesting to see:

Hypnosis Gengar vs. King's Rock parahax Jirachi
OHKOers vs. Double team annoyer Garchomp with Lax Incense (sand veil)
A Explosion/Self Destruct Team vs a whole team of Fear Rattata's
Forget trick room teams, just give a quick claw to Ryperior

When every annoying trick would be put to the test , a unique and fun metagame would emerge.

Now some of you may be thinking, why don't you just challenge people to Shoddy to a no clause battle. Well, its not that simple. Often times, people are so used to playing by Standard rules that they will reject or modify your request for a no clause battle. Also, why can't "Noob Tier" have its' own Ladder battles?

Some people might be a little discouraged when the person brings out the team of 6 shiny Arceus so some modifications could be allowed. The following is a list of various Noob Tiers that could be created and interesting examples that could be done with them.

Noob All (All pokemon, including CAP pokemon, the example in the list)

Noob Uber or Nuber (All Pokemon ,but CAP pokemon) interesting example: Soul Dew Lati@s

Noob OU or NOUB: (No CAPs or Ubers) Interesting Example:Mindreader/Sheer Cold Articuno (i know Articuno is uu ,but this one is just too noobishly powerful)

Noob UU or NUUB (No CAPS, Ubers, or OUs) Interesting example: Lucky Punch Chansey

Interesting move: quick claw roar
also you could have Noob BL, NU, NFE, Suspect, (Double? in the future) etc etc.

Some people might criticize this idea because they think its too offensive oriented ,but it would require just as much defensive strategy as any other metagame. It would require players to draw out the other teams exploder self destructer and take it out before it can force a tie (since there is no explosion clause) and use more protects, focus sash/band etc.

Just because luck is involved alot more doesn't mean the tier wouldn't be fun.

So, Smogon members, if you like this idea, please pass it on and get the word out that you want a competitive no clause tier.

Thank you for reading my first post to the Smogon Forum. Remember, I'm MechaMecca and this is all my personal opinion so don't get offended. Constructive/skeptical criticism is encouraged though.

Noob Tier...not just for noobs anymore.

I don't really see the point of this. Whilst it may be fun, theres nothing stopping anyone creating a match with no clauses on shoddy or going into an OU match with Ubers. Seems kinda redundant to me

Well, you're right, no one's stopping anybody. But the reason it should be in a separate tier is that reputable Pokemon websites would start covering noob tier and genuine strategies would develop.

hell, people might even post RMTs if it was designated as a separate tier. it would give the no clause community (me...lol) an actual standing in the current metagame. I mean also, aren't we all sick of BP Scizor? By creating a new tier, this would bring new excitement while still maintaining the traditions of the old ones.

thanks for your comment though!

We already have enough tiers. There's nothing stopping you from making your own server and creating said rules. But it is highly unlikely this will ever be implemented onto Shoddy or Shoddy 2.

Interesting idea. While Im trying to get into competative battling, I still use my noob tactics in the game all the time. I mean I just beat the entire Elite Four with my Event Arceus. That's my strategy for winning a battle. Noobs might want to battle to! -looks in mirror-

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
The clauses were invented in order to stop noobs from invading standard metagame with cheap "hax" and combos.
Even the best player can hax someone, it's not like only certain people get it(even if it may seem that way sometimes). This really seems like to me a place to shove noobs away so only good players can play but wouldn't that just stop some noobs from growing into better players? The best way to learn is by doing so, newer players need will need to learn their mistakes and just go out and learn on regular ladder. And as said above, sure it might be fun to play for some people, but nothing stops you from just turning all the clauses off on Shoddy and having a match then.

Sure, even the best players get "hax" ,but try bringing the much inferior focus band into a standard battle and see what people say (even though focus sash is totally viable just because it doesn't use luck). People laugh at parahax Dunsparce but once they find out its holding king's rock, all hell breaks loose...lol.

You make a good point that these just seems like its kicking out all noobs and not letting them mature into real players. But if you think about it, isn't the noob tier the natural way to play Pokemon? Does Nintendo or Game Freak post any clauses or tiers? Isn't this the way we used to play? way back in 1996 when we first got red and there wasn't a significant online community yet. when we Its not weeding out the noobs, but its letting noobs, amateurs, and pros build a brand new team in a whole new metagame.

There's not much to be said other then what already has mentioned. There is nothing stopping you from battling someone on shoddy and turning off all the clauses. In fact by making all pokemon useable it's just practically playing an Uber battle, just without clauses. However the clauses were introduced for a reason, using double team multiple times doesn't make the match more fun, it makes it more frustrating, and I'm sure many people would agree.

Hypnosis Gengar vs. King's Rock parahax Jirachi
OHKOers vs. Double team annoyer Garchomp with Lax Incense (sand veil)
A Explosion/Self Destruct Team vs a whole team of Fear Rattata's
Forget trick room teams, just give a quick claw to Ryperior
what ? Why give quick claw to Rhyperior ? Why use Rhyperior at all ?

Again , good strategies would be the ones to dominate here as well.

The way i see it lack of sleep clause among with evasion clause are the ones who people will get advantage of the most. Again it won't be "everything will be used".

haunter

Banned deucer.
The clauses were invented in order to stop noobs from invading standard metagame with cheap "hax" and combos. So fine, let players enjoy OU knowing Spore-Breloom is no longer a threat ,but why can't players create their own tier where every noob strategy is put to the test.
The clauses were invented to create a more competitive and balanced metagame.

This thread is completely pointless since you're not forced to play ladder matches. You can just challenge someone with your custom rules. Smogon is a "competitive Pokemon" community and we feel the need for clauses (though some of them are going to be tested sooner or later) and tiers, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)