Will Battle for Love (OU RMT)

WILL BATTLE FOR LOVE (<3)
an OU RMT by Ulysses

Hello, Smogon. It’s been quite some time since I’ve made an RMT. Team Rocket Whales was posted in October of 2009, meaning it’s been...21 months. That’s probably in due part to me not being good since then, but I may have finally figured 5th generation play out. It took me a while to adjust, but with inspiration from Kevin Garnett’s Solum’s Core and PDC’s Negative 3, I’ve created my most successful team in a long time and it’s time to retire it.

Peaking at a lowly 1238 and #350 under the alt Skyscraper Hurdling, there was nothing statistically marvelous about this team. I was satisfied, though, because at some point in there hax became more than less. I’ve reached major success with the defensive core of Tangrowth, Jirachi and Latias, and to be honest, the use of Tangrowth was inspired by a Smogon Tour blow-out loss to Limitless, who murdered me with a simple combination of Tangrowth and Jirachi. Part of this team’s success is owed to him.

Well, it’s not my greatest achievement, but I’m proud of it and I hope you’ll find something to like or fix about it too.

===========

===========

Tyranitar
-Stealth Rock
-Pursuit
-Fire Blast
-Ice Beam
ability: Sand Stream
nature: Quiet
item: Expert Belt
252 hp / 180 spa / 76 sdef​

-Tyranitar is one of the best, most solid leads in the game right now. With plenty of natural bulk, Tyranitar will generally not have a hard time setting up Stealth Rock. Pursuit allows me to catch choice users as well as weak psychics like Espeon, and is especially useful for catching auto-weather inducers like Choice Scarf Politoed, which are a general nuisance. Fire Blast crushes Ferrothorn and other steel-types, hitting extremely hard with Expert Belt. Ice Beam destroys Gliscor and Garchomp. Expert Belt was chosen over Leftovers to hit many walls harder. Sand Stream, Tyranitar's default ability, is great for removing other weather.

-Tyranitar actually is probably the most debatable spot on the teams, as its inclusion was more of an "I need a lead" moment than a "this fits well" moment. However, Sand Stream has proven extremely is important. This team dislikes weather, and keeping Tyranitar alive to remove an opponent's advantage is never a bad thing. Pursuit catches Scarfed Politoed locked into Ice Beam or HP Electric and Ninetales, although Will-O-Wisp Ninetales is dangerous. Tyranitar also works well with Jirachi to handle dragon-types such as Latios and Latias.

===========

===========

Magnezone
-Substitute
-Thunderbolt
-Flash Cannon
-Hidden Power Fire
ability: Magnet Pull
nature: Modest
item: Leftovers
88 hp / 252 spa / 168 spe​

-Magnezone has experienced a bit of a revival this generation. With its excellent defensive typing, stopping troublesome steel-types is never far away. Substitute allows Magnezone to set up on Ferrothorn and choice-locked Jirachi and Scizor, which are helpless against you, while blocking status from Thunder Wave. Thunderbolt is your main method of attack, doing slightly more damage than Hidden Power Fire to Jirachi. With your 393 base special attack, Thunderbolt will be doing heavy damage to almost anything that doesn't resist it. Flash Cannon is your other STAB, hitting Tyranitar and Terrakion for heavy damage. Flash Cannon is also useful in stall situations, with its chance of lowering the target's special defense. Hidden Power Fire annihilates Scizor, Forretress and Ferrothorn.

-Magnezone's revival is not without good reason-it traps steels that render Latias ineffective that and my other team members struggle to take on. By trapping and killing a key member of the other team, defensive cores collapse and it's that much easier for Latias to sweep through teams. After the steel-type is taken out, Magnezone's power can rip through many teams. Magnezone is also the team's best answer to threats like Jirachi, Scizor, and special Dragonite. The evs allow Magnezone to outrun minimum-investment base 80s.

===========

===========

Gliscor
-Taunt
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
ability: Poison Heal
nature: Impish
item: Toxic Orb
252 hp / 20 def / 232 spe​

-Gliscor was one of the most-improved pokemon this generation. With Poison Heal and Toxic Orb, Gliscor has constant healing and can switch into status, especially Breloom, who can do little else and does not like to eat an Ice Fang. Taunt is a key move of Gliscor's repertoire, blocking healing moves, set-up and Leech Seed. Swords Dance is another important move for stall-breaking, allowing Gliscor to boost against pokemon whom have little hope of taking him down and take them down, such as Chansey. Swords Dance also allows Gliscor to become an offensive threat, as he can tear through weakened teams. Earthquake is your powerful STAB move, destroying steel-types and Tyranitar. Ice Fang has superb coverage alongside Earthquake, hitting other Gliscors for heavy damage, as well as Garchomp, Salamence, Dragonite and Grass-types.

-Gliscor is a defensive rock on the team, taking on dangerous threats like Tyranitar, Terrakion, Conkeldurr, and physical dragons. Gliscor is my Breloom counter, as after Toxic Orb poisons him, Spore is cancelled and Breloom is helpless to do damage. Gliscor is a fabulous stall-breaker and only got better this generation, now that status is not a problem. Excadrill and Terrakion are massive threats this generation, and Gliscor stops them cold. While both often run Air Balloon as their item, this means that they will be missing out on the boost in power a Life Orb provides, allowing you to survive a hit, break the balloon with Ice Fang, and then survive the following hit to KO with Earthquake. With Taunt and Swords Dance, you can shut down key threats in stall, allowing you to boost up and take down walls. The evs allow Gliscor to out-pace maximum-speed base 80s.

===========

===========

Tangrowth
-Sleep Powder
-Power Whip
-Hidden Power Ice
-Leech Seed
ability: Regenerator
nature: Relaxed
252 hp / 4 atk / 252 def​

-Tangrowth is hella-bulky defensive threat that will hopefully vault into OU mainstream play with its new Dream World ability, Regenerator. With every switch-out, Tangrowth is ready to absorb another attack. Sleep Powder is extremely useful utility, temporarily removing threats from the game. It's easy to fire it off when switching in to absorb an Earthquake from Excadrill or similar. Power Whip is Tangrowth's hard-hitting physical damage, throttling Tyranitar, Terrakion, and bulky waters. Hidden Power Ice hits Garchomp and Gliscor very hard, allowing Tangrowth to more efficiently take on Dragons. Leech Seed is a good support move, healing Tangrowth and rapidly chipping off health from the target.

-Tangrowth is part of my heavy-set defensive core, handling Excadrill, Terrakion, Gyarados, Garchomp, Breloom, and physical Virizion. Tangrowth will handle almost any physical move it switches into, and with Excadrill currently one of the most common and dangerous threats in the metagame, it's extremely crucial that I have two presences to counter it. Physical Tyranitar is one of Latias's toughest counters, and Tangrowth demolishes it while taking only minimal damage from any one of its attacks. With Regenrator, there's no problem with multiple switch-ins, as Tangrowth will be rearing to go whenever needed. I desperately hope that Tangrowth will catch on, because it certainly deserves to.

===========

===========

Jirachi
-Iron Head
-Body Slam
-Wish
-Protect
ability: Serene Grace
nature: Careful
252 hp / 224 sdef / 32 spe​

-Specially-defensive Jirachi is one of the greatest annoyers of this generation, and one of the best defensive threats, forming part of the Tangrowth-Latias-Jirachi core. Iron Head is your STAB and the chief reason that Jirachi's mere presence will invoke ragequits from more easily-annoyed players. The 60% flinch rate and super-effective hit on Tyranitar and Terrakion certainly help its viability. Body Slam is really one of the unique features of Jirachi, allowing you to paralyze on 60% of your hits, crippling sweepers and ground-types immune to Thunder Wave, such as Garchomp and Landorus. Coupled with Sere Gace Iron Head, paraflinch is one of the single biggest annoyances in the world of Pokemon. Wish and Protect are also important, allowing Jirachi to stall out weaker special threats and heal up for frurther switch-ins to Specs users.

-Jirachi is the second member of my defensive core. Natural bulk and fantastic steel typing allow Jirachi to take even Choice Specs Latios with ease, as well as other dangerous special threats, including Thundurus, and cripple with Body Slam. Body Slam is great support, essentially removing dangerous special sweepers. Jirachi is also the team's best answer to rain, coupled with Latias. This set was popularized by Solum's Core and other prolific teams, and it's no surprise why.

===========

===========

Latias
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse
-Recover
-Refresh
ability: Levitate
nature: Timid
252 hp / 4 def / 252 satk​

-Latias is absolutely on of the best defensive pokemon and one of the best overall pokemon this generation and it's absurd that it's so low in usage, because what it has to offer is different than her brother, the more offensive threat Latios. Calm Mind is Latias's bread and butter, boosting a well-above average Special Attack stat and a fantastic Special Defense stat. With Latias's great typing, it's easy to set up against walls and weak pokemon running special attacks. Dragon Pulse compliments Calm Mind, and with the great dragon typing resisted only by steels, Latias can sweep through teams. Recover is obvious for keeping Latias alive and boosting, and Refresh is critically important, allowing Latias to shrug off the paralysis and Toxics teams use to deal with her and continue to sweep.

-Latias wraps up the defensive core of the team, handling fire-types that Jirachi can't handle and boasting an immunity to Ground. Latias can handle a wealth of special threats by boosting and healing in succession as their attacks do less and less damage. Latias is also my main other answer to Thundurus, surviving a +2 Hidden Power Ice with enough health and taking it down with Dragon Pulse. Because Latias offers the threat of a sweep, the team must be prepared to take down the pokemon that stand in its way, primarily steel-types and Tyranitar. Magnezone effectively traps and beats steels, and Tyranitar can be handled by Tangrowth, Gliscor, and Jirachi. This is the highlight of the team and it performs spectacularly.

Hope you enjoyed. Please rate!

Tbh I'd replace tangroeth with the standard bulky offensive rotor-w for the popular rotomw+gliscor+jirachi core for now..

I'd also like to recommend haxchomp but that would make the team way too much like the it's team

But why should I replace him? Before making that radical of a change, I'd like to at least know what the reasoning behind it is.

It bugs me that you don't have a committed phys attacker, a dedicated special wall like slax or blissey/chansey could wall you fairly effectively

You also have to worry about a heatran (especially with a balloon), With a fire move & HP ice he can do some serious damage to every poke except ttar, with only gliscor being able to kill it, since it resists every move your other pokes have.

Also a Volcarona with HP ice can take every poke you have down (if it has a quiver dance or two)

And it's hard to leave Excadrill out of any SS team, but thats just me :p /fanboy D8

Snorlax and Blissey are taken down through a combination of Gliscor and Tangrowth. Blissey doesn't like Leech Seed, and Gliscor can Taunt and Swords Dance to kill both of them. Snorlax rarely shows up on teams now anyways.

Heatran, while it can pose a problem, is pretty much stopped by Latias, who can boost up if Roar isn't present.

Volcarona is definitely a big problem, because it can take down everything on the team. Gliscor is my best hope, really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)