LC Wimpod

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC: Nineage / Hilomilo / Coconut
GP: Fireflame479 / CryoGyro

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to access to Spikes and Taunt as well as having a great Speed stat, Wimpod can function as a decent suicide lead on offensive teams, as it is the fastest user of Spikes. Thanks to its 18 Speed, it can notably outspeed every common lead in the metagame, including Onix and Dwebble. Its ability Wimp Out allows it to usually get up one layer of Spikes and immediately give a teammate a safe switch. This can give your team a lot of momentum, and in combination with Spikes can put your opponent on the backfoot from the start of the game. However, Wimpod's stats other than its Speed are bad, meaning it will be knocked out easily and unable to do much damage in return. In addition, its movepool is very lacking, making it struggle to hit Pokemon that aren't weak to its STAB moves. This makes it incredibly passive. Wimpod's typing leaves it weak to Rock, not only meaning it is weak to Stealth Rock but also that it loses to common leads like Dwebble and Onix. At the same time, Wimpod faces a lot of competition from these Pokemon, as they have greater bulk and can set up entry hazards more consistently thanks to their less situational abilities, though Wimp Out does give Wimpod a small niche. However, Wimp Out can also be a curse, as a faster Pokemon can easily knock it below half HP, thus forcing it to switch out, meaning Wimpod cannot get up a layer of Spikes. Since it is unable to do much other than set up Spikes, Wimpod is very predictable, and opponents will thus easily be able to see its lead coming. Lastly, after it has been forced out because of Wimp Out, it struggles to get back in due to its weakness to Stealth Rock and general frailty.

[SET]
name: Spikes Setter
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Scald
move 4: Aqua Jet
item: Focus Sash
ability: Wimp Out
nature: Naive
evs: 76 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SpA / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spikes is a good entry hazard that can significantly dent foes when they switch in, especially if multiple layers are set up. Taunt can prevent an opposing lead such as Onix or Dwebble from setting up their own hazards or a setup sweeper such as Shellder and Omanyte from setting up. Scald is Wimpod's main STAB move; it is used despite coming off of Wimpod's weaker Special Attack stat for its good chance to burn while still OHKOing Weak Armor Onix and 2HKOing Dwebble. However, it misses out on the 2HKO on Ponyta. Aqua Jet's priority is very useful for picking off very significantly weakened threats if Wimpod comes back into play later in the game.

Set Details
========

Wimp Out is the main reason to use Wimpod, as it can give a teammate a safe switch in without forcing Wimpod to go down after it has done its job. Focus Sash allows Wimpod to nearly always survive at least one attack if it is at full HP, meaning it will usually be able to outspeed the foe, get up layer of Spikes, and then immediately activate Wimp Out. With maximum Speed investment and a Naive nature, Wimpod hits 18 Speed, allowing it to outspeed the majority of the metagame and, notably, other leads like Onix and Dwebble as well as other Taunt users like Mienfoo. With the Defense invesment, Wimpod nearly always takes one Rock Blast from Onix and Dwebble if they only get two hits. In addition, it allows Wimpod to nearly always take any two hits from Timburr. 76 Attack EVs raise Attack by one point in order to increase Aqua Jet's damage on specific targets, most notably Eviolite Onix. The leftover EVs are put into Special Attack to raise it by one point. Even though these EVs could be moved to HP easily, as the Special Attack EVs don't change any notable damage rolls, this isn't done in order to make sure Wimpod can switch into Stealth Rock four times without going down. A Naive nature is used instead of a Jolly nature in order to secure the OHKO on Eviolite Onix with Scald.

Usage Tips
========

Wimpod should almost always be used as a lead. However, if you predict your opponent to lead with a Pokemon that is faster than Wimpod, such as Abra or Aipom, it is often advised to lead with something else so that Wimpod can be used to grab momentum later in the game. When it is in, setting up Spikes should be the main priority. However, when Wimpod is in on an opposing hazard setter, like Onix or Dwebble, or a setup sweeper, like Shellder or Zigzagoon, going for Taunt is usually worth it, as it can greatly aid your team by preventing these Pokemon from doing what they do best. Always be careful of multi-hit moves like Rock Blast, as they can KO Wimpod even through its Focus Sash. Once Wimpod has taken a hit and thus given a teammate a safe switch thanks to Wimp Out, it can come back in to give another safe switch by going down, use its good Speed to use Taunt on a setup sweeper, or set up another layer of Spikes. If Wimpod hasn't activated Wimp Out yet and is not on the field, it can be used to take a hit from Pokemon such as Timburr and grab momentum using Wimp Out. If Wimpod's Focus Sash hasn't been broken yet, it can do the same against any Pokemon. Since Wimpod is so weak, it's usually not worth it to go for an offensive move instead of Spikes or Taunt. You should only use an offensive move if you are either certain that it will knock out the foe or if you already have three layers of Spikes up and using Taunt is not worth it, such as when Wimpod's foe is an all-out attacker or it is already afflicted with Taunt.

Team Options
========

Wimpod should only ever be used on hyper offense teams, as these teams do not mind losing one Pokemon early on in the game. Other teams struggle to win when they only have 5 Pokemon, and since Wimpod will generally be significantly weakened or even KOed at the very start of the game, these situations are common on teams that utilize it. In addition, the powerful wallbreakers that are often found on these sorts of teams like Abra and Doduo appreciate a safe switch and thus pair very well with Wimpod, as they can not only take advantage of Wimp Out but also force a lot of switches, meaning they take full advantage of Wimpod's Spikes. Similarly, Sturdy users like Onix and Dwebble appreciate the free switches Wimpod can give them thanks to Wimp Out. Both can also set up Stealth Rock, which synergizes nicely with Wimpod's Spikes, and they appreciate that Wimpod usually prevents hazards from going up on its side of the field thanks to its very fast Taunt. Other offensive Stealth Rock setters like Pawniard can also stack hazards with Wimpod while not draining too much momentum for the hyper offense teams Wimpod finds itself on. Setup sweepers like Shellder and Nasty Plot Vullaby appreciate Wimpod providing them with a safe switch in thanks to Wimp Out. Spinblockers like Pumpkaboo-XL and Defog deterrents like Pawniard work well with Wimpod, as they prevent or scare foes out of removing Wimpod's Spikes. Rapid Spin users like Staryu and Drilbur can remove Stealth Rock, allowing Wimpod to come back into play much more easily. Defog users can also be used to accomplish this, but they are not recommended, as they also remove Wimpod's Spikes.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Wimpod's movepool is incredibly limited, so it has very few other options. Leech Life and Waterfall can be used as slightly more powerful moves, but since Wimpod's offensive stats are so weak, the utility from Scald and Aqua Jet is generally preferred. Struggle Bug is an option to lower a foe's Special Attack and hit certain Grass-types like Snivy and Snover super effectively, but it is very weak and will actually raise Snivy's Special Attack due to its Contrary ability. Toxic can be used to cripple bulky switch-ins like Pumpkaboo-XL, but Wimpod usually prefers to set up Spikes and use Taunt against them. Berry Juice can be used to give Wimpod a chance to set up multiple layers of Spikes before being forced out by Wimp Out, though it leaves Wimpod open to OHKOs from many offensive threats such as Vullaby, Thunderbolt Staryu, and Abra.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon like Abra, Staryu, and Choice Scarf users can easily knock Wimpod below half HP, thus forcing it out due to Wimp Out, which means it is unable to set up a layer of Spikes.

**Hazard Removal**: Defog and Rapid Spin users like Vullaby and Staryu can easily undo all of Wimpod's work by removing its Spikes. Natu's ability Magic Bounce can also prevent Wimpod's Spikes from going up.

Last edited:

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, a little bit of an amcheck here.
In the overview you should definitely emphasise Wimpod's Speed stat, since it is the fastest Spikes user in the tier.
I also think Berry Juice is worth a mention in OO since it allows Wimpod to have more time to set up Spikes and Wimp Out doesn't get in the way for when you go below half HP the first time.
Struggle Bug could also be mentioned in OO since it lowers the foe's Special Attack which makes them want to switch afterwards.
Lastly I think you should mention that a lot of faster Pokemon just downright OHKO Wimpod such as Elekid and Abra.

Overall this is very well done. :D

Xayah

San Bwanna
Hey, a little bit of an amcheck here.
In the overview you should definitely emphasise Wimpod's Speed stat, since it is the fastest Spikes user in the tier.
I also think Berry Juice is worth a mention in OO since it allows Wimpod to have more time to set up Spikes and Wimp Out doesn't get in the way for when you go below half HP the first time.
Struggle Bug could also be mentioned in OO since it lowers the foe's Special Attack which makes them want to switch afterwards.
Lastly I think you should mention that a lot of faster Pokemon just downright OHKO Wimpod such as Elekid and Abra.

Overall this is very well done. :D
Thank you for the amcheck. I decided to make Struggle Bug the main slash (I had completely forgotten about its secondary effect tbh), since it synergises really nicely with Wimp Out to give a teammate a set up opportunity, and Wimpod isn't doing damage anyway. It's also really nice to annoy both physical and special attackers with Scald and Struggle Bug.
Also, I don't want to mention Elekid (was thinking about it when writing already) since Wimpod usually has a Focus Sash, meaning it's not getting OHKOed either way, and Elekid is less relevant than Abra or Staryu.

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
  • Mention specifically how passive it is
  • Talk about how its predictable
  • Emphasize a little more why you WOULD choose to use it (provides spikes + immediate momentum ig...pretty bad mon)
[SET]I'll buy it

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Honestly I wouldnt even mention its physical moves. This thing hits like a wet piece of paper anyway, so its moves should be chosen for utility > base power. This means deslash leech life
Set Details
========
  • Jolly should be only nature
  • I don't understand your rock blast comment, since that move always hits twice minimum

Usage Tips
========
  • Be wary of multihit moves
  • Don't lead when the opp is obv leading a faster Pokemon
  • Use wimpod later game if its alive to tank a hit it resists to give a teammate a free switchin
  • Don't waste time clicking attacking moves unless you have to (explain when you would attack)
Team Options
========
  • Mention in sturdy users point that wimpod also prevents hazards going up a lot cuz it has fast af taunt
  • In the first sentence, explain that wimpod should only be used on balls to the walls offense that can win 5 v 6 if it gets some spikes up
  • Talk about setup sweepers since they enjoy the free switch
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Move phys moves here
  • Honestly i dont even see the point of toxic in oo but who cares
Checks and Counters
===================
**Everything**: lol

Nice work, not a lot to say on this mon, 1/3

Xayah

San Bwanna
[OVERVIEW]
  • Mention specifically how passive it is
  • Talk about how its predictable
  • Emphasize a little more why you WOULD choose to use it (provides spikes + immediate momentum ig...pretty bad mon)
[SET]I'll buy it

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Honestly I wouldnt even mention its physical moves. This thing hits like a wet piece of paper anyway, so its moves should be chosen for utility > base power. This means deslash leech life
Set Details
========
  • Jolly should be only nature
  • I don't understand your rock blast comment, since that move always hits twice minimum

Usage Tips
========
  • Be wary of multihit moves
  • Don't lead when the opp is obv leading a faster Pokemon
  • Use wimpod later game if its alive to tank a hit it resists to give a teammate a free switchin
  • Don't waste time clicking attacking moves unless you have to (explain when you would attack)
Team Options
========
  • Mention in sturdy users point that wimpod also prevents hazards going up a lot cuz it has fast af taunt
  • In the first sentence, explain that wimpod should only be used on balls to the walls offense that can win 5 v 6 if it gets some spikes up
  • Talk about setup sweepers since they enjoy the free switch
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Move phys moves here
  • Honestly i dont even see the point of toxic in oo but who cares
Checks and Counters
===================
**Everything**: lol

Nice work, not a lot to say on this mon, 1/3
Thanks implemented.

In the Rock Blast sentence, I meant two hits, oops.
Also I'm going to assume you wanted to see a Timid nature only since Wimpod now only carries special attacks, as opposed to the Jolly nature you mentioned.

• Struggle Bug is Wimpod's main secondary STAB move, as it lowers the foe's Special Attack, which can give a teammate a set up opportunity after being brought in via Wimp Out. It also hits Grass-types that resist Waterfall, such as Snivy and Chespin, super effectively.
Not QC, but I think you meant "resist Scald" rather than Waterfall?

Xayah

San Bwanna
  • Struggle Bug is Wimpod's main secondary STAB move, as it lowers the foe's Special Attack, which can give a teammate a set up opportunity after being brought in via Wimp Out. It also hits Grass-types that resist Waterfall, such as Snivy and Chespin, super effectively.
Not QC, but I think you meant "resist Scald" rather than Waterfall?
Right thanks. That's leftover from when the main STAB move was Waterfall

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
* Specify that Wimpod functions as a decent suicide lead on offensive teams.
* Elaborate a little as to why exactly Wimpod faces competition from other common leads (its worse bulk and situational ability keep it form consistently setting up entry hazards, while Dwebble and Onix have ways to guarantee setup).

Set
Good

Moves
* Specify that Scald OHKOs Weak Armor Onix, as Sturdyjuice is 3HKOed.
* I think it's best to remove Waterfall and just put it in OO. I've messed around with both Waterfall and Scald, and have almost never actually found Waterfall to be of any use, especially considering most leads against Wimpod are physically bulky.
* Change Chespin to Snover as your second Grass-type example, as Snover's the second most relevant Grass mon that's actually hit super effectively by Struggle Bug (Chespin sucks).

Set Details
* I think you may have forgotten that after two Rock Blasts, Wimp Out will activate, meaning that Wimpod will always survive Rock Blast. I don't know how you'd like to change this, but maybe just do so in saying that it allows Wimpod to activate Wimp Out without being OHKOed by Rock Blast? (I might be wrong about this mechanic so please correct me if that's the case).

Usage Tips
* "Always be careful of multi-hit moves like Rock Blast, as they can OHKO Wimpod even through its Focus Sash" - Tired Hilo may have fucked up here, but aren't multi-hit moves disrupted by Wimp Out? If not, keep this line, but remove it if so.

Team Options
This looks great! Maybe change Pawniard to Hippo or Archen as your hazard stacking partner example since Life Orb is the current best set, but that one's really just a nitpick and is up to you.

Other Options
Good

Checks and Counters
* Not sure that Natu is relevant enough for a mention to be necessary. Maybe consult with other QC members since I don't want the only say in this, but as of now I'm convince it isn't relevant enough to deserve a mention.

Great work as usual, implement these changes and give yourself 1/3

Xayah

San Bwanna
Overview
* Specify that Wimpod functions as a decent suicide lead on offensive teams.
* Elaborate a little as to why exactly Wimpod faces competition from other common leads (its worse bulk and situational ability keep it form consistently setting up entry hazards, while Dwebble and Onix have ways to guarantee setup).

Set
Good

Moves
* Specify that Scald OHKOs Weak Armor Onix, as Sturdyjuice is 3HKOed.
* I think it's best to remove Waterfall and just put it in OO. I've messed around with both Waterfall and Scald, and have almost never actually found Waterfall to be of any use, especially considering most leads against Wimpod are physically bulky.
* Change Chespin to Snover as your second Grass-type example, as Snover's the second most relevant Grass mon that's actually hit super effectively by Struggle Bug (Chespin sucks).

Set Details
* I think you may have forgotten that after two Rock Blasts, Wimp Out will activate, meaning that Wimpod will always survive Rock Blast. I don't know how you'd like to change this, but maybe just do so in saying that it allows Wimpod to activate Wimp Out without being OHKOed by Rock Blast? (I might be wrong about this mechanic so please correct me if that's the case).

Usage Tips
* "Always be careful of multi-hit moves like Rock Blast, as they can OHKO Wimpod even through its Focus Sash" - Tired Hilo may have fucked up here, but aren't multi-hit moves disrupted by Wimp Out? If not, keep this line, but remove it if so.

Team Options
This looks great! Maybe change Pawniard to Hippo or Archen as your hazard stacking partner example since Life Orb is the current best set, but that one's really just a nitpick and is up to you.

Other Options
Good

Checks and Counters
* Not sure that Natu is relevant enough for a mention to be necessary. Maybe consult with other QC members since I don't want the only say in this, but as of now I'm convince it isn't relevant enough to deserve a mention.

Great work as usual, implement these changes and give yourself 1/3
Thanks for the check, implemented.

You were indeed wrong about Wimp Out vs mulit-hit moves. Wimp Out does not activate until after the last hit.
Also, I'll leave Natu in for now, partially because it's Wimpod's hardest stop, and partially because that section will get REALLY short otherwise.

Writing up now.

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to access to Spikes and Taunt, as well as a great Speed stat, Wimpod can function as a decent suicide lead on offensive teams, as it is the fastest user of Spikes. I'd really clarify that 18 speed is really good, because it outspeeds almost every common lead, and that's basically all it has going for it. Its ability Wimp Out allows it to usually get up one layer of Spikes and immediately give a teammate a safe switch. This can give your team a lot of momentum and in combination with Spikes, it can put your opponent on the backfoot from the start of the game. However, Wimpod's stats other than its Speed are bad, meaning it will be knocked out easily and unable to do much damage in return. In addition, its movepool is very lacking, meaning it struggles to hit Pokemon that aren't weak to its STABs. This makes it incredibly passive. Wimpod's typing leaves it weak to Rock, not only meaning it is weak to Stealth Rock, but also that it loses to common leads like Dwebble and Onix. At the same time, Wimpod faces a lot of competition from these Pokemon, as they have greater bulk and can more consistently set up entry hazards thanks to their less situational abilities, though Wimp Out does give it a small niche. However, Wimpod's ability can also be a curse, as a faster Pokemon can easily knock it below half HP, thus forcing it to switch out, meaning Wimpod cannot get up a layer of Spikes. Since it is unable to do much other than set up Spikes, Wimpod is very predictable and opponents will thus easily be able to see its lead coming. Lastly, after it has been forced out because of Wimp Out, it struggles to get back in due to its weakness to Stealth Rock and general frailty.

[SET]
nope...
A 30% burn chance means almost nothing for this Pokemon, as everything you could possibly want to burn, you would rather be setting Spikes or Taunting. Here is my proposed set...

Wimpod @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wimp Out
Level: 5
EVs: 76 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

Waterfall and Aqua Jet on this set score the kill just as effectively as the currently listed set, but can score the 2HKO on Ponyta (why is that even listed? is pony switching in?) You're dropping the Bug moves, but what does that even hit? Everything that you could possibly hit with Struggle Bug would rather be Taunted or Aqua Jet. This set is more focused on setting your spikes, this pokemon's main niche.

move 4: Struggle Bug
nature: Timid
evs: 196 Def / 36 SpA / 36 SpD / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spikes is a good entry hazard that can significantly dent foes on switchin, especially if multiple layers are set up. Taunt can prevent an opposing lead such as Onix or Dwebble from setting up their own hazards, or a set up sweeper such as Shellder and Tirtouga Omanyte is a better example than Tirt here. from setting up. Scald is Wimpod's main STAB move. It is used despite coming off of Wimpod's weaker Special Attack stat for its good chance to burn, while still OHKOing Weak Armor Onix and 2HKOing Dwebble. However, it misses out on the 2HKO on Ponyta. Struggle Bug is Wimpod's secondary STAB move, as it lowers the foe's Special Attack, which can give a teammate a set up opportunity after being brought in via Wimp Out. It also hits Grass-types that resist Scald, such as Snivy and Snover, super effectively. The main benefit would be to pop your sash and Wimp Out to something that checks it, instead of accidentally giving Snivy +3 instead of +2.

Set Details
========

Wimp Out is the main reason to use Wimpod, as it can give a teammate a safe switchin without forcing Wimpod to go down after it has done its job. Focus Sash allows Wimpod to nearly always survive at least one attack if it is at full HP, meaning it will usually be able to outspeed and get up layer of Spikes and then immediately activate Wimp Out. With maximum Speed investment and a Timid nature, Wimpod hits 18 Speed, allowing it to outspeed the majority of the metagame, and notably other leads like Onix and Dwebble, as well as other Taunt users like Mienfoo. With the Defense invesment, Wimpod nearly always takes one Rock Blast from Onix and Dwebble if they only get two hits. In addition, it allows Wimpod to nearly always take any two hits from Timburr. The leftover EVs are put into Special Defense and Special Attack to raise both by one point. Even though the Special Attack EVs could be moved to HP easily, as the Special Attack EVs don't change any notable damage rolls, this isn't done in order to make sure Wimpod can switch into Stealth Rock four times without going down. The Attack bonus actually does affect some rolls now.

Usage Tips
========

Wimpod should almost always be used as a lead. However, if you predict your opponent to lead with a Pokemon that is faster than Wimpod, such as Abra or Aipom, it is often advised to lead something else so that Wimpod can be used to grab momentum later in the game. When it is in, setting up Spikes should be the main priority. However, when Wimpod is in on an opposing hazard setter, like Onix or Dwebble, or a set up sweeper, like Shellder or Zigzagoon, going for Taunt is usually worth it, as it can greatly aid your team to prevent these Pokemon from doing what they do best. Always be careful of multi-hit moves like Rock Blast, as they can OHKO Wimpod even through its Focus Sash. Once Wimpod has taken a hit and thus given a teammate a safe switch thanks to Wimp Out, it can come back in to give another safe switch by going down, or using its good Speed to use Taunt on a set up sweeper or set up another layer of Spikes. If Wimpod hasn't activated Wimp Out yet and is not on the field, it can be used to take a hit from Pokemon such as Timburr and grab momentum using Wimp Out. If Wimpod's Focus Sash hasn't been broken yet, it can do the same against any Pokemon. Since Wimpod is so weak, it's usually not worth it to go for an offensive move in stead of Spikes or Taunt. You should only use an offensive move if you are either certain that it will knock out the opponent, or if you already have three layers of Spikes up and using Taunt is not worth it, such as when Wimpod's foe is an all out attacker or it is already afflicted with Taunt.

Nice job!

Team Options
========

Wimpod should only ever be used on hyper offense teams, as these teams do not mind losing one Pokemon early on in the game. Other teams struggle to win when they only have 5 Pokemon, and since Wimpod will generally be significantly weakened or even KOed at the very start of the game, these situations are common on teams that utilize it. In addition, the powerful wallbreakers that are often found on these sorts of teams like Abra and Doduo appreciate a safe switch and thus pair very well with Wimpod, as they can not only take advantage of Wimp Out, but also force a lot of switches, meaning they take full advantage of Wimpod's Spikes. Similarly, Sturdy users like Onix and Dwebble appreciate the free switches Wimpod can give them thanks to its ability. Both can also set up Stealth Rock, which synergises nicely with Wimpod's Spikes, and they also appreciate that Wimpod usually prevents hazards from going up on its side of the field thanks to its very fast Taunt. Other Stealth Rock setters like Hippopotas and Ferroseed bad example, Ferroseed also sets Spikes, probably better than Wimpod in 90% of situations. In addition to that, there's no way either of these Pokemon fit on the kind of team that you would be using Wimpod on, as they are very slow paced. You could either try to revise this sentence or fit something like Pawniard or Amaura here instead. can also stack hazards with Wimpod. Set up sweepers like Shellder and Nasty Plot Vullaby appreciate Wimpod providing them with a safe switch in thanks to Wimp Out. Spinblockers like Pumpkaboo-XL and Defog deterrents like Pawniard work well with Wimpod, as they prevent or scare foes out of removing Wimpod's Spikes. Rapid Spin users like Staryu and Drilbur can remove Stealth Rock, allowing Wimpod to come back into play much more easily. Defog users can also be used to accomplish this, but they are not recommended as they also remove Wimpod's Spikes.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Wimpod's movepool is incredibly limited, so it has very few other options. Leech Life and Waterfall can be used as slightly more powerful moves, but since Wimpod's offensive stats are so weak, the utility from Scald and Struggle Bug is generally preferred. Aqua Jet can be used as a form of priority, but due to Wimpod's low Attack, it is very weak. Toxic can be used to cripple bulky switchins like Pumpkaboo-XL, but Wimpod usually prefers to set up Spikes and Taunt them. Berry Juice can be used to give Wimpod a chance to set up multiple layers of Spikes before being forced out by Wimp Out, though it leaves Wimpod open to OHKOs from many offensive threats such as Vullaby, Thunderbolt Staryu, and Abra. Special Wimpod can go here. Also I think Red Card should get a mention, but that just might be my personal bias.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon like Abra, Staryu, and Choice Scarf users can easily knock Wimpod below half HP, thus forcing it out due to Wimp Out, which means it is unable to set up a layer of Spikes.

**Hazard removal**: Defog and Rapid Spin users like Vullaby and Staryu can easily undo all of Wimpod's work by removing its Spikes. Natu's ability Magic Bounce can also prevent Wimpod's Spikes from going up.

Spinners? Feels pretty empty down here.

QC: 3/3

Xayah

San Bwanna
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to access to Spikes and Taunt, as well as a great Speed stat, Wimpod can function as a decent suicide lead on offensive teams, as it is the fastest user of Spikes. I'd really clarify that 18 speed is really good, because it outspeeds almost every common lead, and that's basically all it has going for it. Its ability Wimp Out allows it to usually get up one layer of Spikes and immediately give a teammate a safe switch. This can give your team a lot of momentum and in combination with Spikes, it can put your opponent on the backfoot from the start of the game. However, Wimpod's stats other than its Speed are bad, meaning it will be knocked out easily and unable to do much damage in return. In addition, its movepool is very lacking, meaning it struggles to hit Pokemon that aren't weak to its STABs. This makes it incredibly passive. Wimpod's typing leaves it weak to Rock, not only meaning it is weak to Stealth Rock, but also that it loses to common leads like Dwebble and Onix. At the same time, Wimpod faces a lot of competition from these Pokemon, as they have greater bulk and can more consistently set up entry hazards thanks to their less situational abilities, though Wimp Out does give it a small niche. However, Wimpod's ability can also be a curse, as a faster Pokemon can easily knock it below half HP, thus forcing it to switch out, meaning Wimpod cannot get up a layer of Spikes. Since it is unable to do much other than set up Spikes, Wimpod is very predictable and opponents will thus easily be able to see its lead coming. Lastly, after it has been forced out because of Wimp Out, it struggles to get back in due to its weakness to Stealth Rock and general frailty.

[SET]
nope...
A 30% burn chance means almost nothing for this Pokemon, as everything you could possibly want to burn, you would rather be setting Spikes or Taunting. Here is my proposed set...

Wimpod @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wimp Out
Level: 5
EVs: 76 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

Waterfall and Aqua Jet on this set score the kill just as effectively as the currently listed set, but can score the 2HKO on Ponyta (why is that even listed? is pony switching in?) You're dropping the Bug moves, but what does that even hit? Everything that you could possibly hit with Struggle Bug would rather be Taunted or Aqua Jet. This set is more focused on setting your spikes, this pokemon's main niche.

move 4: Struggle Bug
nature: Timid
evs: 196 Def / 36 SpA / 36 SpD / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spikes is a good entry hazard that can significantly dent foes on switchin, especially if multiple layers are set up. Taunt can prevent an opposing lead such as Onix or Dwebble from setting up their own hazards, or a set up sweeper such as Shellder and Tirtouga Omanyte is a better example than Tirt here. from setting up. Scald is Wimpod's main STAB move. It is used despite coming off of Wimpod's weaker Special Attack stat for its good chance to burn, while still OHKOing Weak Armor Onix and 2HKOing Dwebble. However, it misses out on the 2HKO on Ponyta. Struggle Bug is Wimpod's secondary STAB move, as it lowers the foe's Special Attack, which can give a teammate a set up opportunity after being brought in via Wimp Out. It also hits Grass-types that resist Scald, such as Snivy and Snover, super effectively. The main benefit would be to pop your sash and Wimp Out to something that checks it, instead of accidentally giving Snivy +3 instead of +2.

Set Details
========

Wimp Out is the main reason to use Wimpod, as it can give a teammate a safe switchin without forcing Wimpod to go down after it has done its job. Focus Sash allows Wimpod to nearly always survive at least one attack if it is at full HP, meaning it will usually be able to outspeed and get up layer of Spikes and then immediately activate Wimp Out. With maximum Speed investment and a Timid nature, Wimpod hits 18 Speed, allowing it to outspeed the majority of the metagame, and notably other leads like Onix and Dwebble, as well as other Taunt users like Mienfoo. With the Defense invesment, Wimpod nearly always takes one Rock Blast from Onix and Dwebble if they only get two hits. In addition, it allows Wimpod to nearly always take any two hits from Timburr. The leftover EVs are put into Special Defense and Special Attack to raise both by one point. Even though the Special Attack EVs could be moved to HP easily, as the Special Attack EVs don't change any notable damage rolls, this isn't done in order to make sure Wimpod can switch into Stealth Rock four times without going down. The Attack bonus actually does affect some rolls now.

Usage Tips
========

Wimpod should almost always be used as a lead. However, if you predict your opponent to lead with a Pokemon that is faster than Wimpod, such as Abra or Aipom, it is often advised to lead something else so that Wimpod can be used to grab momentum later in the game. When it is in, setting up Spikes should be the main priority. However, when Wimpod is in on an opposing hazard setter, like Onix or Dwebble, or a set up sweeper, like Shellder or Zigzagoon, going for Taunt is usually worth it, as it can greatly aid your team to prevent these Pokemon from doing what they do best. Always be careful of multi-hit moves like Rock Blast, as they can OHKO Wimpod even through its Focus Sash. Once Wimpod has taken a hit and thus given a teammate a safe switch thanks to Wimp Out, it can come back in to give another safe switch by going down, or using its good Speed to use Taunt on a set up sweeper or set up another layer of Spikes. If Wimpod hasn't activated Wimp Out yet and is not on the field, it can be used to take a hit from Pokemon such as Timburr and grab momentum using Wimp Out. If Wimpod's Focus Sash hasn't been broken yet, it can do the same against any Pokemon. Since Wimpod is so weak, it's usually not worth it to go for an offensive move in stead of Spikes or Taunt. You should only use an offensive move if you are either certain that it will knock out the opponent, or if you already have three layers of Spikes up and using Taunt is not worth it, such as when Wimpod's foe is an all out attacker or it is already afflicted with Taunt.

Nice job!

Team Options
========

Wimpod should only ever be used on hyper offense teams, as these teams do not mind losing one Pokemon early on in the game. Other teams struggle to win when they only have 5 Pokemon, and since Wimpod will generally be significantly weakened or even KOed at the very start of the game, these situations are common on teams that utilize it. In addition, the powerful wallbreakers that are often found on these sorts of teams like Abra and Doduo appreciate a safe switch and thus pair very well with Wimpod, as they can not only take advantage of Wimp Out, but also force a lot of switches, meaning they take full advantage of Wimpod's Spikes. Similarly, Sturdy users like Onix and Dwebble appreciate the free switches Wimpod can give them thanks to its ability. Both can also set up Stealth Rock, which synergises nicely with Wimpod's Spikes, and they also appreciate that Wimpod usually prevents hazards from going up on its side of the field thanks to its very fast Taunt. Other Stealth Rock setters like Hippopotas and Ferroseed bad example, Ferroseed also sets Spikes, probably better than Wimpod in 90% of situations. In addition to that, there's no way either of these Pokemon fit on the kind of team that you would be using Wimpod on, as they are very slow paced. You could either try to revise this sentence or fit something like Pawniard or Amaura here instead. can also stack hazards with Wimpod. Set up sweepers like Shellder and Nasty Plot Vullaby appreciate Wimpod providing them with a safe switch in thanks to Wimp Out. Spinblockers like Pumpkaboo-XL and Defog deterrents like Pawniard work well with Wimpod, as they prevent or scare foes out of removing Wimpod's Spikes. Rapid Spin users like Staryu and Drilbur can remove Stealth Rock, allowing Wimpod to come back into play much more easily. Defog users can also be used to accomplish this, but they are not recommended as they also remove Wimpod's Spikes.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Wimpod's movepool is incredibly limited, so it has very few other options. Leech Life and Waterfall can be used as slightly more powerful moves, but since Wimpod's offensive stats are so weak, the utility from Scald and Struggle Bug is generally preferred. Aqua Jet can be used as a form of priority, but due to Wimpod's low Attack, it is very weak. Toxic can be used to cripple bulky switchins like Pumpkaboo-XL, but Wimpod usually prefers to set up Spikes and Taunt them. Berry Juice can be used to give Wimpod a chance to set up multiple layers of Spikes before being forced out by Wimp Out, though it leaves Wimpod open to OHKOs from many offensive threats such as Vullaby, Thunderbolt Staryu, and Abra. Special Wimpod can go here. Also I think Red Card should get a mention, but that just might be my personal bias.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Hazard removal**: Defog and Rapid Spin users like Vullaby and Staryu can easily undo all of Wimpod's work by removing its Spikes. Natu's ability Magic Bounce can also prevent Wimpod's Spikes from going up.

Spinners? Feels pretty empty down here.

QC: 3/3
We talked on Discord, implemented most of it. Hoping that you can take another look at it before GP since the set was changed a bit and I might have messed up.

EDIT: Coco gave me the right away, so moving to GP

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to access to Spikes and Taunt, as well as a great Speed stat, Wimpod can function as a decent suicide lead on offensive teams, as it is the fastest user of Spikes. Thanks to its 18 Speed, it can notably outspeed every common lead in the metagame, such as Onix and Dwebble. Its ability Wimp Out allows it to usually get up one layer of Spikes and immediately give a teammate a safe switch. This can give your team a lot of momentum,(AC) (independent clause) and in combination with Spikes, it can put your opponent on the backfoot from the start of the game. However, Wimpod's stats other than its Speed are bad, meaning it will be knocked out easily and unable to do much damage in return. In addition, its movepool is very lacking, meaning making (repetition) it struggles struggle to hit Pokemon that aren't weak to its STABs STAB moves. This makes it incredibly passive. Wimpod's typing leaves it weak to Rock, not only meaning it is weak to Stealth Rock, but also that it loses to common leads like Dwebble and Onix. At the same time, Wimpod faces a lot of competition from these Pokemon, as they have greater bulk and can more consistently set up entry hazards thanks to their less situational abilities, though Wimp Out does give it a small niche. However, Wimpod's ability can also be a curse, as a faster Pokemon can easily knock it below half HP, thus forcing it to switch out, meaning Wimpod cannot get up a layer of Spikes. Since it is unable to do much other than set up Spikes, Wimpod is very predictable,(AC) and opponents will thus easily be able to see its lead coming. Lastly, after it has been forced out because of Wimp Out, it struggles to get back in due to its weakness to Stealth Rock and general frailty.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spikes is a good entry hazard that can significantly dent foes on switchin when they switch in, especially if multiple layers are set up. Taunt can prevent an opposing lead such as Onix or Dwebble from setting up their own hazards,(RC) (dependent clause) or a set up setup sweeper such as Shellder and Omanyte from setting up. Scald is Wimpod's main STAB move;(SC).(period) it is used despite coming off of Wimpod's weaker Special Attack stat for its good chance to burn,(RC) while still OHKOing Weak Armor Onix and 2HKOing Dwebble. However, it misses out on the 2HKO on Ponyta. Aqua Jet's priority is very useful for picking of very significantly weakened threats if Wimpod comes back into play later in the game.

Set Details
========

Wimp Out is the main reason to use Wimpod, as it can give a teammate a safe switchin switch in without forcing Wimpod to go down after it has done its job. Focus Sash allows Wimpod to nearly always survive at least one attack if it is at full HP, meaning it will usually be able to outspeed the foe,(AC) and get up layer of Spikes,(AC) and then immediately activate Wimp Out. With maximum Speed investment and a Naive nature, Wimpod hits 18 Speed, allowing it to outspeed the majority of the metagame,(RC) and notably other leads like Onix and Dwebble, as well as other Taunt users like Mienfoo. With the Defense invesment, Wimpod nearly always takes one Rock Blast from Onix and Dwebble if they only get two hits. In addition, it allows Wimpod to nearly always take any two hits from Timburr. 76 Attack EVs raise it by one point in order to increase Aqua Jet's damage on specific targets, most notably Eviolite Onix. The leftover EVs are put into Special Attack to raise it by one point. Even though these EVs could be moved to HP easily, as the Special Attack EVs don't change any notable damage rolls, this isn't done in order to make sure Wimpod can switch into Stealth Rock four times without going down. A Naive nature is used in stead of a Jolly nature in order to secure the OHKO on Eviolite Onix with Scald.

Usage Tips
========

Wimpod should almost always be used as a lead. However, if you predict your opponent to lead with a Pokemon that is faster than Wimpod, such as Abra or Aipom, it is often advised to lead with something else so that Wimpod can be used to grab momentum later in the game. When it is in, setting up Spikes should be the main priority. However, when Wimpod is in on an opposing hazard setter, like Onix or Dwebble, or a set up setup sweeper, like Shellder or Zigzagoon, going for Taunt is usually worth it, as it can greatly aid your team to prevent these Pokemon from doing what they do best. Always be careful of multi-hit moves like Rock Blast, as they can OHKO Wimpod even through its Focus Sash. Once Wimpod has taken a hit and thus given a teammate a safe switch thanks to Wimp Out, it can come back in to give another safe switch by going down,(RC) or using use its good Speed to use Taunt on a set up setup sweeper or set up another layer of Spikes. If Wimpod hasn't activated Wimp Out yet and is not on the field, it can be used to take a hit from Pokemon such as Timburr and grab momentum using Wimp Out. If Wimpod's Focus Sash hasn't been broken yet, it can do the same against any Pokemon. Since Wimpod is so weak, it's usually not worth it to go for an offensive move in stead of Spikes or Taunt. You should only use an offensive move if you are either certain that it will knock out the opponent,(RC) or if you already have three layers of Spikes up and using Taunt is not worth it, such as when Wimpod's foe is an all-(AH)out attacker or it is already afflicted with Taunt.

Team Options
========

Wimpod should only ever be used on hyper offense teams, as these teams do not mind losing one Pokemon early on in the game. Other teams struggle to win when they only have 5 Pokemon, and since Wimpod will generally be significantly weakened or even KOed at the very start of the game, these situations are common on teams that utilize it. (space) In addition, the powerful wallbreakers that are often found on these sorts of teams like Abra and Doduo appreciate a safe switch and thus pair very well with Wimpod, as they can not only take advantage of Wimp Out,(RC) but also force a lot of switches, meaning they take full advantage of Wimpod's Spikes. Similarly, Sturdy users like Onix and Dwebble appreciate the free switches Wimpod can give them thanks to its ability Wimp Out. Both can also set up Stealth Rock, which synergises synergizes nicely with Wimpod's Spikes, and they also appreciate that Wimpod usually prevents hazards from going up on its side of the field thanks to its very fast Taunt. Other offensive Stealth Rock setters like Pawniard can also stack hazards with Wimpod while not draining too much momentum for the hyper offense teams Wimpod finds itself on. Set up Setup sweepers like Shellder and Nasty Plot Vullaby appreciate Wimpod providing them with a safe switch in thanks to Wimp Out. Spinblockers like Pumpkaboo-XL and Defog deterrents like Pawniard work well with Wimpod, as they prevent or scare foes out of removing Wimpod's Spikes. Rapid Spin users like Staryu and Drilbur can remove Stealth Rock, allowing Wimpod to come back into play much more easily. Defog users can also be used to accomplish this, but they are not recommended,(AC) as they also remove Wimpod's Spikes.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Wimpod's movepool is incredibly limited, so it has very few other options. Leech Life and Waterfall can be used as slightly more powerful moves, but since Wimpod's offensive stats are so weak, the utility from Scald and Aqua Jet is generally preferred. Struggle Bug is an option to lower a foe's Special Attack and hit certain Grass-types like Snivy and Snover super effectively, but it is very weak and will actually raise Snivy's Special Attack due to its Contrary ability. Toxic can be used to cripple bulky switch-(AH)ins like Pumpkaboo-XL, but Wimpod usually prefers to set up Spikes and use Taunt against them. Berry Juice can be used to give Wimpod a chance to set up multiple layers of Spikes before being forced out by Wimp Out, though it leaves Wimpod open to OHKOs from many offensive threats such as Vullaby, Thunderbolt Staryu, and Abra.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Hazard Removal**: Defog and Rapid Spin users like Vullaby and Staryu can easily undo all of Wimpod's work by removing its Spikes. Natu's ability Magic Bounce can also prevent Wimpod's Spikes from going up.
GP 1/2

Xayah

San Bwanna
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to access to Spikes and Taunt, as well as a great Speed stat, Wimpod can function as a decent suicide lead on offensive teams, as it is the fastest user of Spikes. Thanks to its 18 Speed, it can notably outspeed every common lead in the metagame, such as Onix and Dwebble. Its ability Wimp Out allows it to usually get up one layer of Spikes and immediately give a teammate a safe switch. This can give your team a lot of momentum,(AC) (independent clause) and in combination with Spikes, it can put your opponent on the backfoot from the start of the game. However, Wimpod's stats other than its Speed are bad, meaning it will be knocked out easily and unable to do much damage in return. In addition, its movepool is very lacking, meaning making (repetition) it struggles struggle to hit Pokemon that aren't weak to its STABs STAB moves. This makes it incredibly passive. Wimpod's typing leaves it weak to Rock, not only meaning it is weak to Stealth Rock, but also that it loses to common leads like Dwebble and Onix. At the same time, Wimpod faces a lot of competition from these Pokemon, as they have greater bulk and can more consistently set up entry hazards thanks to their less situational abilities, though Wimp Out does give it a small niche. However, Wimpod's ability can also be a curse, as a faster Pokemon can easily knock it below half HP, thus forcing it to switch out, meaning Wimpod cannot get up a layer of Spikes. Since it is unable to do much other than set up Spikes, Wimpod is very predictable,(AC) and opponents will thus easily be able to see its lead coming. Lastly, after it has been forced out because of Wimp Out, it struggles to get back in due to its weakness to Stealth Rock and general frailty.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spikes is a good entry hazard that can significantly dent foes on switchin when they switch in, especially if multiple layers are set up. Taunt can prevent an opposing lead such as Onix or Dwebble from setting up their own hazards,(RC) (dependent clause) or a set up setup sweeper such as Shellder and Omanyte from setting up. Scald is Wimpod's main STAB move;(SC).(period) it is used despite coming off of Wimpod's weaker Special Attack stat for its good chance to burn,(RC) while still OHKOing Weak Armor Onix and 2HKOing Dwebble. However, it misses out on the 2HKO on Ponyta. Aqua Jet's priority is very useful for picking of very significantly weakened threats if Wimpod comes back into play later in the game.

Set Details
========

Wimp Out is the main reason to use Wimpod, as it can give a teammate a safe switchin switch in without forcing Wimpod to go down after it has done its job. Focus Sash allows Wimpod to nearly always survive at least one attack if it is at full HP, meaning it will usually be able to outspeed the foe,(AC) and get up layer of Spikes,(AC) and then immediately activate Wimp Out. With maximum Speed investment and a Naive nature, Wimpod hits 18 Speed, allowing it to outspeed the majority of the metagame,(RC) and notably other leads like Onix and Dwebble, as well as other Taunt users like Mienfoo. With the Defense invesment, Wimpod nearly always takes one Rock Blast from Onix and Dwebble if they only get two hits. In addition, it allows Wimpod to nearly always take any two hits from Timburr. 76 Attack EVs raise it by one point in order to increase Aqua Jet's damage on specific targets, most notably Eviolite Onix. The leftover EVs are put into Special Attack to raise it by one point. Even though these EVs could be moved to HP easily, as the Special Attack EVs don't change any notable damage rolls, this isn't done in order to make sure Wimpod can switch into Stealth Rock four times without going down. A Naive nature is used in stead of a Jolly nature in order to secure the OHKO on Eviolite Onix with Scald.

Usage Tips
========

Wimpod should almost always be used as a lead. However, if you predict your opponent to lead with a Pokemon that is faster than Wimpod, such as Abra or Aipom, it is often advised to lead with something else so that Wimpod can be used to grab momentum later in the game. When it is in, setting up Spikes should be the main priority. However, when Wimpod is in on an opposing hazard setter, like Onix or Dwebble, or a set up setup sweeper, like Shellder or Zigzagoon, going for Taunt is usually worth it, as it can greatly aid your team to prevent these Pokemon from doing what they do best. Always be careful of multi-hit moves like Rock Blast, as they can OHKO Wimpod even through its Focus Sash. Once Wimpod has taken a hit and thus given a teammate a safe switch thanks to Wimp Out, it can come back in to give another safe switch by going down,(RC) or using use its good Speed to use Taunt on a set up setup sweeper or set up another layer of Spikes. If Wimpod hasn't activated Wimp Out yet and is not on the field, it can be used to take a hit from Pokemon such as Timburr and grab momentum using Wimp Out. If Wimpod's Focus Sash hasn't been broken yet, it can do the same against any Pokemon. Since Wimpod is so weak, it's usually not worth it to go for an offensive move in stead of Spikes or Taunt. You should only use an offensive move if you are either certain that it will knock out the opponent,(RC) or if you already have three layers of Spikes up and using Taunt is not worth it, such as when Wimpod's foe is an all-(AH)out attacker or it is already afflicted with Taunt.

Team Options
========

Wimpod should only ever be used on hyper offense teams, as these teams do not mind losing one Pokemon early on in the game. Other teams struggle to win when they only have 5 Pokemon, and since Wimpod will generally be significantly weakened or even KOed at the very start of the game, these situations are common on teams that utilize it. (space) In addition, the powerful wallbreakers that are often found on these sorts of teams like Abra and Doduo appreciate a safe switch and thus pair very well with Wimpod, as they can not only take advantage of Wimp Out,(RC) but also force a lot of switches, meaning they take full advantage of Wimpod's Spikes. Similarly, Sturdy users like Onix and Dwebble appreciate the free switches Wimpod can give them thanks to its ability Wimp Out. Both can also set up Stealth Rock, which synergises synergizes nicely with Wimpod's Spikes, and they also appreciate that Wimpod usually prevents hazards from going up on its side of the field thanks to its very fast Taunt. Other offensive Stealth Rock setters like Pawniard can also stack hazards with Wimpod while not draining too much momentum for the hyper offense teams Wimpod finds itself on. Set up Setup sweepers like Shellder and Nasty Plot Vullaby appreciate Wimpod providing them with a safe switch in thanks to Wimp Out. Spinblockers like Pumpkaboo-XL and Defog deterrents like Pawniard work well with Wimpod, as they prevent or scare foes out of removing Wimpod's Spikes. Rapid Spin users like Staryu and Drilbur can remove Stealth Rock, allowing Wimpod to come back into play much more easily. Defog users can also be used to accomplish this, but they are not recommended,(AC) as they also remove Wimpod's Spikes.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Wimpod's movepool is incredibly limited, so it has very few other options. Leech Life and Waterfall can be used as slightly more powerful moves, but since Wimpod's offensive stats are so weak, the utility from Scald and Aqua Jet is generally preferred. Struggle Bug is an option to lower a foe's Special Attack and hit certain Grass-types like Snivy and Snover super effectively, but it is very weak and will actually raise Snivy's Special Attack due to its Contrary ability. Toxic can be used to cripple bulky switch-(AH)ins like Pumpkaboo-XL, but Wimpod usually prefers to set up Spikes and use Taunt against them. Berry Juice can be used to give Wimpod a chance to set up multiple layers of Spikes before being forced out by Wimp Out, though it leaves Wimpod open to OHKOs from many offensive threats such as Vullaby, Thunderbolt Staryu, and Abra.

Checks and Counters
===================

GP 1/2
Thanks for the check, implemented

GP 2/2
remove add

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to access to Spikes and Taunt, (comma) as well as having a great Speed stat, Wimpod can function as a decent suicide lead on offensive teams, as it is the fastest user of Spikes. Thanks to its 18 Speed, it can notably outspeed every common lead in the metagame, such as including Onix and Dwebble. Its ability Wimp Out allows it to usually get up one layer of Spikes and immediately give a teammate a safe switch. This can give your team a lot of momentum, and in combination with Spikes, (comma) it can put your opponent on the backfoot from the start of the game. However, Wimpod's stats other than its Speed are bad, meaning it will be knocked out easily and unable to do much damage in return. In addition, its movepool is very lacking, making it struggle to hit Pokemon that aren't weak to its STAB moves. This makes it incredibly passive. Wimpod's typing leaves it weak to Rock, not only meaning it is weak to Stealth Rock, (comma) but also that it loses to common leads like Dwebble and Onix. At the same time, Wimpod faces a lot of competition from these Pokemon, as they have greater bulk and can more consistently set up entry hazards more consistently thanks to their less situational abilities, though Wimp Out does give it Wimpod a small niche. However, Wimpod's ability Wimp Out can also be a curse, as a faster Pokemon can easily knock it below half HP, thus forcing it to switch out, meaning Wimpod cannot get up a layer of Spikes. Since it is unable to do much other than set up Spikes, Wimpod is very predictable, and opponents will thus easily be able to see its lead coming. Lastly, after it has been forced out because of Wimp Out, it struggles to get back in due to its weakness to Stealth Rock and general frailty.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spikes is a good entry hazard that can significantly dent foes when they switch in, especially if multiple layers are set up. Taunt can prevent an opposing lead such as Onix or Dwebble from setting up their own hazards or a setup sweeper such as Shellder and Omanyte from setting up. Scald is Wimpod's main STAB move; it is used despite coming off of Wimpod's weaker Special Attack stat for its good chance to burn while still OHKOing Weak Armor Onix and 2HKOing Dwebble. However, it misses out on the 2HKO on Ponyta. Aqua Jet's priority is very useful for picking off very significantly weakened threats if Wimpod comes back into play later in the game.

Set Details
========

Wimp Out is the main reason to use Wimpod, as it can give a teammate a safe switch in without forcing Wimpod to go down after it has done its job. Focus Sash allows Wimpod to nearly always survive at least one attack if it is at full HP, meaning it will usually be able to outspeed the foe, get up layer of Spikes, and then immediately activate Wimp Out. With maximum Speed investment and a Naive nature, Wimpod hits 18 Speed, allowing it to outspeed the majority of the metagame and, (comma) notably, (comma) other leads like Onix and Dwebble, (comma) as well as other Taunt users like Mienfoo. With the Defense invesment, Wimpod nearly always takes one Rock Blast from Onix and Dwebble if they only get two hits. In addition, it allows Wimpod to nearly always take any two hits from Timburr. 76 Attack EVs raise it Attack by one point in order to increase Aqua Jet's damage on specific targets, most notably Eviolite Onix. The leftover EVs are put into Special Attack to raise it by one point. Even though these EVs could be moved to HP easily, as the Special Attack EVs don't change any notable damage rolls, this isn't done in order to make sure Wimpod can switch into Stealth Rock four times without going down. A Naive nature is used in(space)stead of a Jolly nature in order to secure the OHKO on Eviolite Onix with Scald.

Usage Tips
========

Wimpod should almost always be used as a lead. However, if you predict your opponent to lead with a Pokemon that is faster than Wimpod, such as Abra or Aipom, it is often advised to lead with something else so that Wimpod can be used to grab momentum later in the game. When it is in, setting up Spikes should be the main priority. However, when Wimpod is in on an opposing hazard setter, like Onix or Dwebble, or a setup sweeper, like Shellder or Zigzagoon, going for Taunt is usually worth it, as it can greatly aid your team to by preventing these Pokemon from doing what they do best. Always be careful of multi-hit moves like Rock Blast, as they can OHKO Wimpod even through its Focus Sash. Once Wimpod has taken a hit and thus given a teammate a safe switch thanks to Wimp Out, it can come back in to give another safe switch by going down, (comma) or use its good Speed to use Taunt on a setup sweeper, (comma) or set up another layer of Spikes. If Wimpod hasn't activated Wimp Out yet and is not on the field, it can be used to take a hit from Pokemon such as Timburr and grab momentum using Wimp Out. If Wimpod's Focus Sash hasn't been broken yet, it can do the same against any Pokemon. Since Wimpod is so weak, it's usually not worth it to go for an offensive move in(space)stead of Spikes or Taunt. You should only use an offensive move if you are either certain that it will knock out the opponent foe or if you already have three layers of Spikes up and using Taunt is not worth it, such as when Wimpod's foe is an all-out attacker or it is already afflicted with Taunt.

Team Options
========

Wimpod should only ever be used on hyper offense teams, as these teams do not mind losing one Pokemon early on in the game. Other teams struggle to win when they only have 5 Pokemon, and since Wimpod will generally be significantly weakened or even KOed at the very start of the game, these situations are common on teams that utilize it. In addition, the powerful wallbreakers that are often found on these sorts of teams like Abra and Doduo appreciate a safe switch and thus pair very well with Wimpod, as they can not only take advantage of Wimp Out but also force a lot of switches, meaning they take full advantage of Wimpod's Spikes. Similarly, Sturdy users like Onix and Dwebble appreciate the free switches Wimpod can give them thanks to Wimp Out. Both can also set up Stealth Rock, which synergizes nicely with Wimpod's Spikes, and they also appreciate that Wimpod usually prevents hazards from going up on its side of the field thanks to its very fast Taunt. Other offensive Stealth Rock setters like Pawniard can also stack hazards with Wimpod while not draining too much momentum for the hyper offense teams Wimpod finds itself on. Setup sweepers like Shellder and Nasty Plot Vullaby appreciate Wimpod providing them with a safe switch in thanks to Wimp Out. Spinblockers like Pumpkaboo-XL and Defog deterrents like Pawniard work well with Wimpod, as they prevent or scare foes out of removing Wimpod's Spikes. Rapid Spin users like Staryu and Drilbur can remove Stealth Rock, allowing Wimpod to come back into play much more easily. Defog users can also be used to accomplish this, but they are not recommended, as they also remove Wimpod's Spikes.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Wimpod's movepool is incredibly limited, so it has very few other options. Leech Life and Waterfall can be used as slightly more powerful moves, but since Wimpod's offensive stats are so weak, the utility from Scald and Aqua Jet is generally preferred. Struggle Bug is an option to lower a foe's Special Attack and hit certain Grass-types like Snivy and Snover super effectively, but it is very weak and will actually raise Snivy's Special Attack due to its Contrary ability. Toxic can be used to cripple bulky switch-ins like Pumpkaboo-XL, but Wimpod usually prefers to set up Spikes and use Taunt against them. Berry Juice can be used to give Wimpod a chance to set up multiple layers of Spikes before being forced out by Wimp Out, though it leaves Wimpod open to OHKOs from many offensive threats such as Vullaby, Thunderbolt Staryu, and Abra.

Checks and Counters
===================

Last edited:

Xayah

San Bwanna

GP 2/2
remove add

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to access to Spikes and Taunt, (comma) as well as having a great Speed stat, Wimpod can function as a decent suicide lead on offensive teams, as it is the fastest user of Spikes. Thanks to its 18 Speed, it can notably outspeed every common lead in the metagame, such as including Onix and Dwebble. Its ability Wimp Out allows it to usually get up one layer of Spikes and immediately give a teammate a safe switch. This can give your team a lot of momentum, and in combination with Spikes, (comma) it can put your opponent on the backfoot from the start of the game. However, Wimpod's stats other than its Speed are bad, meaning it will be knocked out easily and unable to do much damage in return. In addition, its movepool is very lacking, making it struggle to hit Pokemon that aren't weak to its STAB moves. This makes it incredibly passive. Wimpod's typing leaves it weak to Rock, not only meaning it is weak to Stealth Rock, (comma) but also that it loses to common leads like Dwebble and Onix. At the same time, Wimpod faces a lot of competition from these Pokemon, as they have greater bulk and can more consistently set up entry hazards more consistently thanks to their less situational abilities, though Wimp Out does give it Wimpod a small niche. However, Wimpod's ability Wimp Out can also be a curse, as a faster Pokemon can easily knock it below half HP, thus forcing it to switch out, meaning Wimpod cannot get up a layer of Spikes. Since it is unable to do much other than set up Spikes, Wimpod is very predictable, and opponents will thus easily be able to see its lead coming. Lastly, after it has been forced out because of Wimp Out, it struggles to get back in due to its weakness to Stealth Rock and general frailty.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========

Wimp Out is the main reason to use Wimpod, as it can give a teammate a safe switch in without forcing Wimpod to go down after it has done its job. Focus Sash allows Wimpod to nearly always survive at least one attack if it is at full HP, meaning it will usually be able to outspeed the foe, get up layer of Spikes, and then immediately activate Wimp Out. With maximum Speed investment and a Naive nature, Wimpod hits 18 Speed, allowing it to outspeed the majority of the metagame and, (comma) notably, (comma) other leads like Onix and Dwebble, (comma) as well as other Taunt users like Mienfoo. With the Defense invesment, Wimpod nearly always takes one Rock Blast from Onix and Dwebble if they only get two hits. In addition, it allows Wimpod to nearly always take any two hits from Timburr. 76 Attack EVs raise it Attack by one point in order to increase Aqua Jet's damage on specific targets, most notably Eviolite Onix. The leftover EVs are put into Special Attack to raise it by one point. Even though these EVs could be moved to HP easily, as the Special Attack EVs don't change any notable damage rolls, this isn't done in order to make sure Wimpod can switch into Stealth Rock four times without going down. A Naive nature is used in(space)stead of a Jolly nature in order to secure the OHKO on Eviolite Onix with Scald.

Usage Tips
========

Wimpod should almost always be used as a lead. However, if you predict your opponent to lead with a Pokemon that is faster than Wimpod, such as Abra or Aipom, it is often advised to lead with something else so that Wimpod can be used to grab momentum later in the game. When it is in, setting up Spikes should be the main priority. However, when Wimpod is in on an opposing hazard setter, like Onix or Dwebble, or a setup sweeper, like Shellder or Zigzagoon, going for Taunt is usually worth it, as it can greatly aid your team to by preventing these Pokemon from doing what they do best. Always be careful of multi-hit moves like Rock Blast, as they can OHKO Wimpod even through its Focus Sash. Once Wimpod has taken a hit and thus given a teammate a safe switch thanks to Wimp Out, it can come back in to give another safe switch by going down, (comma) or use its good Speed to use Taunt on a setup sweeper, (comma) or set up another layer of Spikes. If Wimpod hasn't activated Wimp Out yet and is not on the field, it can be used to take a hit from Pokemon such as Timburr and grab momentum using Wimp Out. If Wimpod's Focus Sash hasn't been broken yet, it can do the same against any Pokemon. Since Wimpod is so weak, it's usually not worth it to go for an offensive move in(space)stead of Spikes or Taunt. You should only use an offensive move if you are either certain that it will knock out the opponent foe or if you already have three layers of Spikes up and using Taunt is not worth it, such as when Wimpod's foe is an all-out attacker or it is already afflicted with Taunt.

Team Options
========

Wimpod should only ever be used on hyper offense teams, as these teams do not mind losing one Pokemon early on in the game. Other teams struggle to win when they only have 5 Pokemon, and since Wimpod will generally be significantly weakened or even KOed at the very start of the game, these situations are common on teams that utilize it. In addition, the powerful wallbreakers that are often found on these sorts of teams like Abra and Doduo appreciate a safe switch and thus pair very well with Wimpod, as they can not only take advantage of Wimp Out but also force a lot of switches, meaning they take full advantage of Wimpod's Spikes. Similarly, Sturdy users like Onix and Dwebble appreciate the free switches Wimpod can give them thanks to Wimp Out. Both can also set up Stealth Rock, which synergizes nicely with Wimpod's Spikes, and they also appreciate that Wimpod usually prevents hazards from going up on its side of the field thanks to its very fast Taunt. Other offensive Stealth Rock setters like Pawniard can also stack hazards with Wimpod while not draining too much momentum for the hyper offense teams Wimpod finds itself on. Setup sweepers like Shellder and Nasty Plot Vullaby appreciate Wimpod providing them with a safe switch in thanks to Wimp Out. Spinblockers like Pumpkaboo-XL and Defog deterrents like Pawniard work well with Wimpod, as they prevent or scare foes out of removing Wimpod's Spikes. Rapid Spin users like Staryu and Drilbur can remove Stealth Rock, allowing Wimpod to come back into play much more easily. Defog users can also be used to accomplish this, but they are not recommended, as they also remove Wimpod's Spikes.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
===================

Thanks for the check, implemented.

After 4 months, this is now done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)