Monotype Winged Warriors - Hyper Offensive Flying Team

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Banner and Text by Moosical (aka torkool)

Hello everyone! This is Harpp here with another RMT. Offensive playstyle is something that has piqued my interest lately since the thought of overwhelming offense to keep opponents on their toes excites me and I like team building a lot to improve myself as a player, and so I built a Hyper offense Flying-type team some time ago. The team is very fun to use according to me as it excels at pressuring opposing teams offensively due to strong attackers on the team. Main reason for building offensive team was that, that the type has powerful attackers and wallbreakers, and Flying-type is just good in general in the metagame. Most Flying-type teams are generally either Balance or Bulky offense and so this team is a little deviation from the standard builds. I have play tested this team on the ladder and used it in tournaments as well with good results. I have reached 1600-1700s on the ladder many times using this team on different alts and so the team functions effectively as far as I am able to tell. However I hope to improve the team further if it can be improved. So now let me present to you..The Winged Warriors!

I started the team off with Aerodactyl since it has good base 130 speed which lets it stop most entry hazard setters first and set its own hazards. It also has access to moves such as Taunt, Stealth Rock and even Tailwind which allow it to be a good suicide lead that can keep momentum in the teams favor. I opted for a more support suicide lead set as it compliments the team very well.

Next up, I added Mega Charizard Y as the Mega Pokemon of choice due to its ability to pressure and check Steel-, Ice- and Water-type Pokemon. It is also a phenomenal wallbreaker that hits very hard with sun boosted Fire Blast making it hard for opposing teams to switch into it reliably without a dedicated special wall. It also has access to Focus Blast which allows it to bust through Pokemon such as Heatran and threaten the opposition.

After adding a powerful special wallbreaker, I decided on using Choice banded Dragonite as it is a physical wallbreaker and compliments Mega Charizard Y very well, weakening each others checks and counters. Choice Band Dragonite allows the team the ability to break defensive cores such as that of Normal or Poison quite effectively. It also provides the team with a very good and powerful priority move in Extreme Speed which is very important to check threats such as Belly Drum Azumarill.

After adding two very powerful wallbreakers to the team, I wanted Electric-type immunity and a speed control so I added Choice Scarf Landorus-T to the team. It appreciates the wallbreaking potential the team has to clean opposing teams late game. Choice Scarf allows it to keep threats such as Tapu Koko and Mega Diancie at bay. It is the emergency Defog user for the team and one that is decent at it.

Next up I decided on using Thundurus-T which is also provides the team with a secondary Electric-type immunity that alleviates pressure off Landorus-T to check Electric-type moves. I decided on using Double Dance set as it is good vs both offensive and defensive teams. Against Offensive teams. Thundurus-T can set up an agility and threaten teams while against defensive teams it can wallbreak with Nasty Plot. Electrium Z with Nasty Plot allows it to fire off a very powerful nuke which is capable of getting past its usual checks such as Muk-Alola. Its pseudo Bolt-Beam coverage is an asset when facing opposing Flying-type teams.

At this point, I noticed that the team was very weak to Ice- and Rock-type moves and very easy for Pokemon such as Greninja and Nihilego to score a KO every time it comes in, so to solve that problem I added Defensive mixed Celesteela to the team. Initially I was using AV Celesteela however it lacked recovery and was worn down easily so I used the defensive set with Leech seed and protect and it has worked well for the team being able to stall, chip and annoy fat cores such as the infamous Normal-type core. Most Player will say that defensive Celesteela is a momentum drain to such an offensive team however I believe defensive Celesteela is too good and brings a lot to the table compared to AV set.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Double-Edge
- Tailwind

Aerodactyl on the team outspeeds almost every entry hazard setter except few Faster Pokemon such as Deoxys-S. Its High Speed allows it to stop opposing Stealth Rock setters with Taunt as Flying as a Type is weak to it. Stealth Rock allows its teammates to score easier KOs and having limited switch-ins into attacks. Stealth Rock allows the team to pressure types such as Fire- and Flying-type teams and break Focus Sash or Sturdy which may be hindering to other offensive Pokemon on the team. Double Edge is a suicide move which allows it to KO itself with recoil once it is down to its Focus Sash, this is very useful when Aerodactyl has set up Stealth Rock or Tailwind and it is down to its Focus Sash as it can then simply KO itself preventing opposing Pokemon from using Rapid Spin or Defog and bringing momentum to the team. Lastly, Tailwind allows it to support its offensive teammates such as Mega Charizard Y or Dragonite by increasing their speed for few turns which allows them to do some wallbreaking early on in the battle, gaining the upper hand. Tailwind and Double Edge is very good move combination.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y

Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Tailwind

Mega Charizard Y improves the Steel- and Water-type match up for the team due to its coverage move. It is also a very good wallbreaker that punches holes in the opposing team, making it easier for cleaners on the team to beat remaining Pokemon. Fire Blast as a STAB move gets boosted by its ability Drought and hits very hard denting even targets that resist it and so it is the go-to-move. Solar Beam allows it to pressure Water-types such as Swampert, and Gastrodon. Focus Blast on the set allows it to take out Air Balloon Heatran which otherwise walls Mega Charizard Y and once Heatran is taken out then the rest of the team is very easy prey to Fire Blast. Tailwind is a bit of interesting choice in the last slot, however it has proved effective on this offensive team. There have been instances where I won matches because of Tailwind as it allows Mega Charizard Y to turn into a sweeper for few turns with powerful coverage move. Tailwind is most effective vs other offensive teams such as Fairy.

Dragonite @ Choice Band

Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

Standard Choice Band Dragonite set, its physical wallbreaking power is very much complementary to a Special wallbreaker such as Mega Charizard Y. Dragonite helps in taking out or weakening walls that would normally stop Mega Charizard Y, such as Chansey. Power of Choice Band allows it to dent even some bulky Pokemon such as Toxapex and Porygon2. Outrage is the most powerful move on the set being able to dent even targets that resist the move. It has raw power that is needed to break through the defensive cores of the team and make way open for other attackers on the team. Superpower nails steel-types that resist the move such as Ferrothorn and it also takes out Heatran. Fire Punch is used for walls like Celesteela, Scizor and Skarmory so it relieves pressure from Mega Charizard Y to check such Steel-types. Lastly, Extreme Speed allows Dragonite to bypass its mediocre speed stat and pick off weakened threats such as Mamoswine or Belly Drum Azumarill for the team. It is a very good move for revenge killing and having a priority move is just good in general. Adamant nature is used for more power.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Defog

Landorus-T provides the team with a crucial Electric-type immunity which is important to keep threats like Tapu Koko in check. It is also the speed control of the team with a Choice Scarf set. Earthquake allows it to take out Electric- and Poison-types such as Tapu Koko and Muk-Alola. Stone Edge allows it to take on flying and Bug types such as Mega Charizard Y or Volcarona. It also forms Edge-Quake coverage that hits a lot of types for super effective damage. U-turn is very important in an offensive team to pivot, retaining momentum and bringing a teammate safely. Lastly we have Defog as an emergency support tool to help Stealth Rock weak Pokemon such as Dragonite and Mega Charizard Y on the team.

Thundurus-Therian @ Electrium Z

Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Agility
- Nasty Plot

Thundurus-T is the set up sweeper of the team sporting a double dance set which works vs both offensive and defensive teams quite effectively. Nasty plot allows Thundurus-T to wallbreak opposing teams using Electrium Z which gets past some of its checks such as Muk-Alola. It has good base 101 speed which makes it stand out from the crowded 100 speed tier. Agility allows Thundurus-T to outspeed the whole metagame and clean opposing weakened teams. Thunderbolt along with Hidden Power Ice forms a pseudo Bolt-Beam coverage which has very good super effective coverage overall. This set allows it to single handedly threaten Flying and even Water-type team once the Electric-type immune Pokemon is taken out by its teammates.

Celesteela @ Leftovers

Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Celesteela provides the team with some defense backbone and check to various threats such as Greninja, Nihilego,Excadrill, Mega Diancie, Latios etc. The set showcased is a mixed defensive set checking various threats for the team. While AV set may look good here due to it not losing momentum and all but I have found defensive set to work a little better due to fact that it does not gets worn down easily and can check aforementioned threats quite reliably due to move Leech Seed and Leftovers as item. Heavy Slam is important move on the set that checks Ice- and Rock-types such as Mamoswine and Nihilego. It also hits decently hard neutrally due to Celesteela being very heavy. Earthquake allows Celesteela to catch Victini and Heatran on the switch once its Air Balloon is broken. The team has enough coverage for Steel-type Pokemon and hence I did not go for Flamethrower as coverage option here. Protect allows it to scout and gain leftovers or Leech Seed recovery.

To conclude, this team is very fun to use and I have always enjoyed using this team whether it be the casual ladder or some tournament match. I am always open to exploring less used archetypes and that is how I built this team. Building and using this team I have learned more about Flying as a type and how it functions and it is also one of my favorite types to use now. While Hyper offense Flying may not be the most common build for Flying-type teams right now, it is still very enjoyable to use fast paced offensive attackers. Thank you for reading.

Kyurem-B has always been a threat to Flying-type teams and this team is no exception to that fact. Due to its Bolt-Beam coverage Kyurem-B is able to out or severely damage every member of the team. Mega Charizard Y can dent it very well wth sun boosted Fire Blast or Celesteela can do some good damage with Heavy Slam so that Landorus-T or Dragonite can revenge kill it. Mega Latias with its Calm Mind set is also a threat as it is very bulky and after Few Calm Minds and Stealth Rock up, it is very difficult to check it. Dragonite can check if it has Multiscale intact. Kommo-o can be a trouble to face as well due to Dragon Dance and an omniboosting Z move along with decent coverage in its arsenal. Celesteela can chip it down with Leech Seed and Heavy Slam to the point where Landorus-T can check it. This is if it is only at +1 Speed.

Victini is problematic especially due to no proper defensive backbone that can check it so the team has to rely on offensive ways to check it which is not always the best when taking into account the support Psychic-type teams have in the form of Strong defensive backbone in slowbro and Jirachi or dual screen support. Z celebrate Victini in particular is a menace to face due to its increased bulk which allows it to tank hits better. Mega Gallade can be problematic too as it can take out or weaken like half of the team. Celesteela does a decent job of chipping it down so that Landorus-T or Dragonite can revenge kill it.

Mega Diancie puts a lot of pressure on the team to check it as it has a good speed at base 110 and access to powerful Rock-type move in Diamond Storm. Celesteela can switch into it and force it out as it threatens it out with Heavy Slam. Landorus-T can also revenge kill it with Earthquake. Tapu Koko is a big threat due to Electric Terrain boosted Electric-type moves and Hidden Power Ice which can take out Landorus-T on a poor predict. Belly Drum Azumarill behind dual screens is very hard to check as Extreme Speed fails to revenge kill once it is behind Reflect.

Greninja with its Choice Scarf set is a threat to the team as it can pressure the team with Ice Beam and U-turn. Celesteela is usually safe against Greninja, once greninja is chipped then Dragonite can check it or if I get a Agility from Thundurus-T or Tailwind Support up. Keldeo can be troublesome due to its Choice Specs set blasting away like half of the team with Hydro Pump.

Both Nihilego and Terrakion are threats to the team due to Rock STAB move and a Choice Scarf set threatens a good portion of the team. Celesteela can check them to an extent provided it does not gets worn down too much. Similarly Landorus-T can check too if Nihilego is Life Orb.

Tapu Koko is a threat to the team as mentioned above however the duo of Tapu Koko and Raichu-Alola makes the threat level even higher. My safe bet vs them is to bring Landorus-T freely and Safely to threaten them or chip them down with Stealth Rock for Choice Banded Dragonite to revenge kill with Extreme Speed.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Double-Edge
- Tailwind

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Tailwind

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Defog

Thundurus-Therian @ Electrium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Agility
- Nasty Plot

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Leech Seed
- Protect

A big shoutout to Moosical for helping with the banner and texts, you have always helped me and you are one of the nicest and coolest guy I have met on PS!
Alpha Rabbit and Iggy96 shoutout to both of you for always supporting me
shoutout to GoldenTorkoal for coming up with a neat RMT format :D
Shoutout to The Excadrill for being a good friend and helping with team tests

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)