LC Wingull

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
Wingull is one of the fastest Pokemon in LC, and its STAB combination of Water and Flying has almost perfect coverage. It is able to weaken bulky Pokemon in the beginning of the game with U-turn, Knock Off, and Scald and can use its excellent Speed tier and powerful attacks to tear through weakened teams later in the game. Defensive Pokemon such as Mareanie, Ferroseed, and Spritzee cannot comfortably switch into Wingull's attacks, especially if they have lost their Eviolite to Knock Off from Wingull or a teammate. U-turn lets Wingull pivot into a trapper like Trapinch or Diglett to eliminate Ground-weak checks like Chinchou and Mareanie or build momentum. Wingull has some glaring flaws, however. Its awful bulk makes it crippled if it switches into any non-Ground-type attack, and it is quickly weakened by Life Orb recoil and Stealth Rock. Additionally, its primary attack, Hurricane, has only 70% accuracy, meaning Wingull will often fail to get important KOs.

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Hurricane
move 2: Scald
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Air Slash / U-turn
item: Life Orb
ability: Hydration
nature: Timid
evs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
ivs: 0 HP

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Hurricane is Wingull's most powerful attack. Despite its shaky accuracy, the extra power is essential for important KOs like OHKOing Eviolite Oddish. Scald complements Hurricane as Wingull's other STAB attack; many Pokemon that resist Hurricane, like Onix and Pawniard, are KOed or severely damaged by Scald and do not appreciate its 30% chance to burn. Substitute lets Wingull take advantage of the many switches it forces; if Wingull uses Substitute as the opponent sends in a weakened Pokemon as KO fodder, it cannot easily be revenge killed, giving it the chance to freely launch attacks and decimate the opponent's team. Substitute also lets Wingull evade Pawniard's Sucker Punch. Air Slash gives Wingull a more reliable Flying-type STAB attack to consistently KO weakened Pokemon such as Mareanie and Corphish. This is particularly helpful due to Wingull's fragility; if Wingull misses Hurricane, the opposing Pokemon can typically KO Wingull back. Alternatively, U-turn lets Wingull build momentum. After weakening opposing Pokemon with its powerful STAB attacks, it can switch out to a teammate to trap or otherwise take advantage of its switch-ins. Knock Off is an additional option that can cripple walls; after they lose their Berry Juice or Eviolite, they become much worse at switching into Wingull and its teammates. However, Knock Off's low damage output means that if the foe stays in on Knock Off, they will lose their item but almost always withstand it to KO Wingull back. Knock Off can be effective if Wingull forces a switch, but the other moves are generally more consistent. Life Orb significantly boosts Wingull's power, letting it use its good STAB combination and Speed tier to tear through the opponent's team every time it comes in. However, Berry Juice can be used to give Wingull more opportunities to switch in.

Set Details
========
A Timid nature and 236 Speed EVs let Wingull reach 19 Speed, which lets it Speed tie with Jolly Ponyta and Timid Galarian Ponyta and leaves Diglett as the only unboosted Pokemon faster than it. Although Wingull may use some physical attacks, those attacks are used for their utility rather than their power, so a Timid nature is used to avoid reducing Wingull's bulk. The remaining 36 EVs are invested in Defense to help Wingull better survive physical priority attacks such as Timburr's Mach Punch and Pawniard's Sucker Punch. 0 HP IVs drop Wingull's HP to 19, which increases its longevity by making it only lose 1HP from Life Orb recoil. If using Berry Juice, however, Wingull should run the usual 31 HP IVs.

Usage Tips
========
Due to Wingull's poor bulk, it should avoid switching into attacks directly. It is better to bring it in once a teammate has been KOed or through U-turn support from teammates such as Vullaby. Wingull also does not like to take Stealth Rock damage, so keeping entry hazards off the field is very helpful for Wingull. If the opponent does not have any good switch-ins to Wingull, Wingull can use its powerful STAB attacks right away. If there are specially bulky Pokemon that are able to switch into Wingull, however, Wingull should spend the beginning of the game using Knock Off to remove their items or U-turn to gain momentum or pivot into a teammate to trap them. Mid- to late-game, once its switch-ins have been weakened, Wingull should be brought in safely and then spam its powerful STAB attacks to KO anything that switches in.

Team Options
========
Due to Wingull's fragility and Life Orb recoil, entry hazard removal is necessary for Wingull to safely switch in multiple times during a match. Thus, Wingull appreciates the hazard control provided by Rapid Spin Drilbur or a Defog user such as Vullaby or Timburr. Wingull's U-turn works excellently alongside trappers such as Diglett and Trapinch, since Wingull can lure in defensive Pokemon such as Chinchou and Mareanie and pivot to a trapper to eliminate them. Wingull also appreciates teammates such as Vullaby, which can use U-turn to help Wingull switch in without taking damage. Since Wingull is often revenge killed by Choice Scarf users, it benefits from bulky teammates that are able to switch into their attacks, such as Onix and Spritzee. Other Water-types, such as Corphish and Krabby, appreciate Wingull's ability to weaken Water-type switch-ins such as Ferroseed, Oddish, and Mareanie with Hurricane and Knock Off.

Other Options
=============
Rain Dance guarantees that Wingull's Hurricane will hit and powers up its Water-type attacks. Wingull would typically prefer to spend a turn attacking than setting up Rain Dance, but the additional power and accuracy can be very useful. Protect lets Wingull scout Choice item users and avoid being revenge killed by Trapinch's First Impression, although Substitute is typically more effective at dealing with these tactics. Roost gives Wingull a solution to its durability problem; however, Wingull already struggles to choose its four moves and would rather spend a turn attacking than healing, so Berry Juice is more effective at keeping it healthy.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Stealth Rock**: Wingull is extremely susceptible to chip damage. The combination of Stealth Rock and Life Orb recoil can prevent Wingull from being effective beyond KOing one Pokemon, as a weakened Wingull loses to any form of priority. Even resisted attacks such as Timburr's Mach Punch deal 30%, which may KO if Wingull has switched into Stealth Rock and attacked twice.

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Although bulky Pokemon such as Mareanie, Spritzee, and Ferroseed take a significant amount of damage from Life Orb Hurricane and do not appreciate having their Eviolite removed, they are able to take any one attack from Wingull even without Eviolite and do enough damage to KO Wingull or prevent it from switching in again.

**Choice Scarf Users**: Choice Scarf users such as Vullaby and Galarian Farfetch'd are able to outspeed and OHKO Wingull, although they cannot switch in to Knock Off or Wingull's STAB attacks.

**Priority**: Wingull's Speed advantage is neutralized by priority attacks such as Pawniard's Sucker Punch, which can KO it before it can attack. Wingull can often be revenge killed by weak priority attacks because it is easily worn down.

**Chinchou**: Chinchou is the only Pokemon in LC with a typing that resists both of Wingull's STAB attacks, and its typing and impressive bulk let it reliably switch into Wingull multiple times in a match. Wingull can cripple Chinchou with Knock Off or pivot to a teammate to trap it, but it is unable to defeat Chinchou by itself.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Expulso, 202058]]
- Quality checked by: [[Stoward, 420389], [Fiend, 208173], [jake, 110102]]
- Grammar checked by: [[CryoGyro, 331519], [Estronic, 240732]]

Last edited:

Expulso

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Bumping to say that Wingull analysis is now ready for QC checks! Thanks for your patience :heart:

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
OVERVIEW

Overview has a lot of fluff in it that provides information that is correct, but also not really necessary for the reader to know. The reader doesn't need to see information like it's got Water Flying STAB or that it/s got 40/30/30 Defenses, as that's information that they already obtain by visiting the dex site. If you're including something like that, say something like "Its STAB options allow to hit the entire tier for neutral damage"
1585536407477.png

Mentioning Waterfall is unneccesary as the Wingull isn't running that move and also when listing examples of Pokemon limit it to 3.

SET

[Life Orb][SET]
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: U-Turn / Substitute / Protect
ability: Rain Dish
nature: Naive (+Spe, -SpD)
evs: 36 Atk / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Info in the nature section is cool, but this is formatted specifically so that it can be uploaded to the site in an html format.
After talking with QC, set order should be
1. Hurricane
2. Scald
3. U-Turn
4. Knock Off

Please re-order the moves to match the set.
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves

Hurricane is Wingull's most powerful attack, a 110-BP STAB boosted by Life Orb with a bonus 30% chance to confuse the target if it hits. Despite its shaky accuracy, Hurricane should definitely be used over Air Slash; the extra power is essential for its damage output, enabling Wingull to do things like OHKO-ing Berry Juice Vullaby after Stealth Rock damage.
Don't need to explain how the move works. The stuff about the shaky accuracy onwards is good though.

Knock Off is also essential to cripple walls, making them less able to switch into Wingull or its teammates in the future by removing their recovery (if Berry Juice) or reducing their defenses (if Eviolite).
We don't do brackets in analyses. Don't really know the reasoning behind it, but we don't do them. Knocking off Choice Scarves is also useful, I'd just try to generalise that statement a little.

Set Details

A +Speed nature and 236 Speed EVs let Wingull reach 19 speed, which lets it tie with +Speed Cutiefly and outspeed every other unboosted Pokemon except for Diglett.
Rephrase this to say a "Naive nature" and "Timid Cutiefly"

0 HP IVs give Wingull 19 HP rather than 20. This is optimal due to Wingull's use of Life Orb; if Wingull has 20 HP, it loses 2 HP per attack from Life Orb, but it loses just 1 HP per attack if it has 19 HP.
Shorten this to just say something like "0 HP IVs drop Wingull's HP to 19, which makes it only lose 1HP from Life Orb recoil, increasing it's longevity"

Usage Tips

Wingull is extremely frail. Therefore, it cannot switch into any attacks it is not immune to; even resisted attacks like Timburr's Drain Punch do serious damage to Wingull, and neutral attacks like Knock Off can frequently OHKO it.

Thus, Wingull should be brought in without taking damage. This can be accomplished by using a U-Turn or Volt Switch user such as bulky Vullaby. Alternatively, Wingull can be brought in without damage by sending it in after a teammate dies or through a double switch -- switching Wingull in as the opponent switches out to another Pokemon.

Wingull should come in against a Pokemon it can KO. It can KO most non-defensive Pokemon after they have taken a little chip damage or lost their items; thus, use Wingull in the mid- to late-game, after hazards have been set up and the opposing Pokemon have been weakened a little bit.
First Paragraphs can be shortened to something like "Due to Wingull's low bulk, it should avoid switching in on direct attacks and prefers to be brought in once a teammate has been KO'd or through U-turn support from teammates such as Vullaby."

The rest of this section can be used to talk about how Wingull should be used during different stages of the game (i.e. early game clicking u-turn to generate momentum or clicking Knock Off. Or using it as a wallbreaker to dent through holes or if the opposing team has been sufficiently worn down to use it as a late-game cleaner.

Team Options

Tbh any wallbreaker can be a cleaner.
Idk how u managed to break the sim to have Scarf Wingull as a teammate for Wingull.
I'd like to see a mention of U-Turn. Also teammates that can deal with scarfers, switchins to Onix, etc etc.
Put water types down as the last example
Make sure you limit examples to 3.

Other Options

Scarf is an unset. Only things I really wanna see here are
1. Berry Juice
2. Roost
3. Sub

Checks and Counters

:blobthumbsup:

There's a lot of stuff to cover here - some of it's pretty nitpicky so please don't feel disheartened by the length of the check, but please tag me when you've implemented this and I'll take another look.

Expulso

OVERVIEW

Overview has a lot of fluff in it that provides information that is correct, but also not really necessary for the reader to know. The reader doesn't need to see information like it's got Water Flying STAB or that it/s got 40/30/30 Defenses, as that's information that they already obtain by visiting the dex site. If you're including something like that, say something like "Its STAB options allow to hit the entire tier for neutral damage"

Mentioning Waterfall is unneccesary as the Wingull isn't running that move and also when listing examples of Pokemon limit it to 3.

SET

Info in the nature section is cool, but this is formatted specifically so that it can be uploaded to the site in an html format.
After talking with QC, set order should be
1. Hurricane
2. Scald
3. U-Turn
4. Knock Off

Please re-order the moves to match the set.
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves

Don't need to explain how the move works. The stuff about the shaky accuracy onwards is good though.

We don't do brackets in analyses. Don't really know the reasoning behind it, but we don't do them. Knocking off Choice Scarves is also useful, I'd just try to generalise that statement a little.

Set Details

Rephrase this to say a "Naive nature" and "Timid Cutiefly"

Shorten this to just say something like "0 HP IVs drop Wingull's HP to 19, which makes it only lose 1HP from Life Orb recoil, increasing it's longevity"

Usage Tips

First Paragraphs can be shortened to something like "Due to Wingull's low bulk, it should avoid switching in on direct attacks and prefers to be brought in once a teammate has been KO'd or through U-turn support from teammates such as Vullaby."

The rest of this section can be used to talk about how Wingull should be used during different stages of the game (i.e. early game clicking u-turn to generate momentum or clicking Knock Off. Or using it as a wallbreaker to dent through holes or if the opposing team has been sufficiently worn down to use it as a late-game cleaner.

Team Options

Tbh any wallbreaker can be a cleaner.
Idk how u managed to break the sim to have Scarf Wingull as a teammate for Wingull.
I'd like to see a mention of U-Turn. Also teammates that can deal with scarfers, switchins to Onix, etc etc.
Put water types down as the last example
Make sure you limit examples to 3.

Other Options

Scarf is an unset. Only things I really wanna see here are
1. Berry Juice
2. Roost
3. Sub

Checks and Counters

:blobthumbsup:

There's a lot of stuff to cover here - some of it's pretty nitpicky so please don't feel disheartened by the length of the check, but please tag me when you've implemented this and I'll take another look.
Thanks for the very thorough QC check, Stoward ! I appreciate the feedback.

I have implemented all your changes (and removed Cutiefly mentions), with one exception. I was not sure how to talk about "teammates that can deal with scarfers", since all the scarfers have different checks (ex. Pawniard switches into Scarf Vulla but not Scarf Chinchou/Farfetch'd).

I also wasn't sure whether to mention Sticky Web. It seems interesting because Wingull can sweep very easily if Sticky Web makes Scarfers too slow to revenge it. However, is Webs still a viable playstyle without Cutiefly? Is Dewpider viable enough to mention as a teammate?

Tysm :) if you have any other changes you want me to make, let me know and I'll implement them ASAP.

Amcheck

First: the format of the credits needs your id number, found on the hyperlink for your profile
Stoward's is [Stoward, 420389]

Secondly, the analysis should be written as bullet points for QC 1 and 2, and then written in full before QC 3. Too late now but an FYI for future.

Moving onto the analysis, implement whatever you want.
Overview:
Get the rid of the bit in brackets about Chinchou, maybe say it has almost perfect neutral coverage
Combo -> combination
Tbh Wingull doesn't get worn down that much by Life Orb recoil, this applies more for mons that can't hit 19HP, so I'd just say it gets worn down by Stealth Rock damage.
I would mention the burn chance from Scald somewhere in the overview, and that the burns can cripple physical attackers.

Set:
In my experience, it is very useful to have Air Slash as well as hurricane, for situations where you cannot afford the inaccuracy of Hurricane e.g. endgame situation against a Thunderpunch Timburr.
For the last move, I would slash Air Slash after Knock Off.
It's very minor, but Hydration is a tiny bit better than Rain Dish as the ability, for the niche situation where Wingull is paralysed in a rain matchup.

Moves:
The last paragraph should either be moved to other options or deleted. This section is meant for describing the use of the moves in the set above.

Set details:
Explain why you have used naive rather than Gentle (+spe -def) or Timid (+spe -atk). This should involve mentioning the lack of special priority in the tier (realistically only Croagunk's vacuum wave).
Explain why the remaining 36 evs are invested in attack, considering investing them in defense improves the rolls on Timburr's Mach Punch and Corphish's Aqua Jet. Mention any important rolls for U-turn/Knock. Alternatively change the EVs in the set to def.

Usage tips:
Mention here to keep Stealth Rock off the field. Might be worth mentioning that Wingull isnt affected by spikes and webs but doesn't really matter.

Team options:
I would add that other flying types make good teammates because Wingull can OHKO Onix and potentially burn Pawniard.
For the water types para, i would add Oddish or replace Mareanie with it when talking about water resists.

Other options:
No comments

Checks and comments:
Delete the stealth rock para, I believe this section is for Pokemon that switch into/threaten Wingull
Change Chinchou to Electric-types - since Helioptile checks Wingull as well as Chinchou can.
Priority -> Priority users
Might be worth adding Choice Scarf users - they can't switch into Wingull but they do revenge kill it.
Change Specially Defensive Walls to Bulky Eviolite Users - the only SpDef wall in the tier is Munchlax and he isn't mentioned. Eviolite Munchlax checks Wingull really well, although Berry Juice variants dislike Knock Off.

Regarding "Teammates that can deal with scarfers", common scarfers are Farfetch'd-Galar, Vullaby and Rufflet (arguably Chinchou as well in the current meta), Spritzee switches into all but Rufflet (because nothing switches safely into Scarf Rufflet but that's another matter) so you could add that, but I personally don't think this is a useful change to make.

Regarding webs - Wingull doesn't benefit that much from webs, in fact it's better at threatening opposing webs teams. Scarf users aren't actually that common right now.

Expulso

Amcheck

First: the format of the credits needs your id number, found on the hyperlink for your profile
Stoward's is [Stoward, 420389]

Secondly, the analysis should be written as bullet points for QC 1 and 2, and then written in full before QC 3. Too late now but an FYI for future.

Moving onto the analysis, implement whatever you want.
Overview:
Get the rid of the bit in brackets about Chinchou, maybe say it has almost perfect neutral coverage
Combo -> combination
Tbh Wingull doesn't get worn down that much by Life Orb recoil, this applies more for mons that can't hit 19HP, so I'd just say it gets worn down by Stealth Rock damage.
I would mention the burn chance from Scald somewhere in the overview, and that the burns can cripple physical attackers.

Set:
In my experience, it is very useful to have Air Slash as well as hurricane, for situations where you cannot afford the inaccuracy of Hurricane e.g. endgame situation against a Thunderpunch Timburr.
For the last move, I would slash Air Slash after Knock Off.
It's very minor, but Hydration is a tiny bit better than Rain Dish as the ability, for the niche situation where Wingull is paralysed in a rain matchup.

Moves:
The last paragraph should either be moved to other options or deleted. This section is meant for describing the use of the moves in the set above.

Set details:
Explain why you have used naive rather than Gentle (+spe -def) or Timid (+spe -atk). This should involve mentioning the lack of special priority in the tier (realistically only Croagunk's vacuum wave).
Explain why the remaining 36 evs are invested in attack, considering investing them in defense improves the rolls on Timburr's Mach Punch and Corphish's Aqua Jet. Mention any important rolls for U-turn/Knock. Alternatively change the EVs in the set to def.

Usage tips:
Mention here to keep Stealth Rock off the field. Might be worth mentioning that Wingull isnt affected by spikes and webs but doesn't really matter.

Team options:
I would add that other flying types make good teammates because Wingull can OHKO Onix and potentially burn Pawniard.
For the water types para, i would add Oddish or replace Mareanie with it when talking about water resists.

Other options:
No comments

Checks and comments:
Delete the stealth rock para, I believe this section is for Pokemon that switch into/threaten Wingull
Change Chinchou to Electric-types - since Helioptile checks Wingull as well as Chinchou can.
Priority -> Priority users
Might be worth adding Choice Scarf users - they can't switch into Wingull but they do revenge kill it.
Change Specially Defensive Walls to Bulky Eviolite Users - the only SpDef wall in the tier is Munchlax and he isn't mentioned. Eviolite Munchlax checks Wingull really well, although Berry Juice variants dislike Knock Off.

Regarding "Teammates that can deal with scarfers", common scarfers are Farfetch'd-Galar, Vullaby and Rufflet (arguably Chinchou as well in the current meta), Spritzee switches into all but Rufflet (because nothing switches safely into Scarf Rufflet but that's another matter) so you could add that, but I personally don't think this is a useful change to make.

Regarding webs - Wingull doesn't benefit that much from webs, in fact it's better at threatening opposing webs teams. Scarf users aren't actually that common right now.
Thanks for the feedback! I haven't written an analysis in a while so I appreciate the tips about procedural stuff.

As for the Wingull-specific advice, I'll drop my thoughts below. if a QCer could weigh in on what part of Enzo's feedback to implement, I'd appreciate it -- many of his points seem valid to me but I don't want to make the analysis too long or spend too much time discussing minor details.

Overview:
- Will fix that wording, ty :heart:
- I'll mention scald burn chance in overview next to other things that cripple the other team (Knock)

Set / Moves:
- I see air slash's niche but likely won't include that in main section since QC decided on those 4 moves for the set. Not having a powerful move really hurts Wingull 70% of the time, even if a near-guaranteed hit helps on the 30% of the time Hurricane misses. Besides, that niche is just "guaranteed hit against flying-weak mons", since you already have Scald for a 100% accuracy move. Maybe I will put it in OO.
- Oh, shoot, I did move that paragraph to OO but forgot to erase it from Moves, lol. Fixed that

Set Details:
- I was thinking about the special priority, yes, didn't mention it but I will add that. Not being -atk is good because it helps you get good chip on stuff like Chinchou with Knock + U-Turn, but u could do evs in atk or def, 36 doesnt make a big difference with rolls either way.

Usage Tips:
- Will add sentence about SR

Team Options:
- Flying types sound good with Wingull, I won't add it for now because that section is really long but if a QCer wants me to I will. Thanks for the suggestion!
- Will add oddish as example

Checks:
- I'll keep SR for now since i've seen other analyses mention things like that - checks are just "how do you stop this Pokemon" and keeping hazards up is a good way to limit Wingull's capabilities
- Will add Choice Scarf users, great idea, I mention that elsewhere so yea I'll put it here for sure
- Electric types > chinchou sounds good too

Ty for your help EnzoLapras :-)

Last edited:

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Tbh I’m less fussy than other QC members about the bullets. While other QC members might feel differently (will have to discuss that internally) I really don’t mind if you write up the whole analysis once it’s in a QC stage. With other tiers doing previews rather than full analyses, I think that leaves us with a little more flexibility.

Also he might not have put my credits in as I hadn’t actually stamped this yet.

I do agree with @EnzoLapras’s check though. Except for Air Slash and removing Stealth Rock from checks and counters. Air Slash seems like top of other options imo and as you’ve said, plenty of analyses have mentioned entry hazards in that section and Wingull really doesn’t like SR.

Regarding team options. I didn’t mean a sentence about beating scarfers as such, but make sure you include Pokémon that can beat the scarfers and mention in team options that these pokemon are also useful cos they beat x scarfer.

Once you’ve done that looks good 1/3

Expulso

Rufflet mentions removed. Scarfers listed as checks are now just Vullaby and Farfetchd'G - if anyone can think of another pls lmk. (I don't include Chinchou there; i gave it its own section it as a check since its typing lets it switch in to wingull's stabs)

DC

Kpop Main, No Brain
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
AM QC Check (Implement what you agree with):

[Overview]
-The 3rd paragraph is unnecessary (You already covered Wingull's positive/negative traits; This feels like it belongs in the Moves/Team Options section)

[Moves]
-Give examples of Knock Off targets (Ferroseed, Mareanie, Spritzee for "walls")

[Team Options]
-Change "Due to Wingull's fragility and Life Orb recoil" to "Due to Wingull's fragility and weakness to Stealth Rock" (The initial wording implies that Life Orb Recoil was the reason why you need hazard removal)

[Other Options]
-Remove the "It can also use Air"

[Checks and Counters] - Agreeing with Enzo's AM Check
-Remove Stealth Rock as a check
-Mention Munchlax in the Special Defensive Walls section

Hope this helped! Not much to add since this analysis is very well-written.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
remove add comment
[OVERVIEW]
These flaws make Wingull challenging to use, but it is even more challenging to switch into.
This doesn't actually make sense idt. Use a different turn of phrase

[SET]
move 3: U-Turn
move 4: Knock Off
nature: Naive Timid
Versus chinchou (eg neutrals) the extra attack doesn't matter for its main bulk benchmarks so Timid is better.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Hurricane is Wingull's most powerful attack. Despite its shaky accuracy, Hurricane should definitely be used over Air Slash; the extra power is essential for its damage output, enabling Wingull to do things like OHKO Oddish OHKO-ing Berry Juice Vullaby after Stealth Rock damage. I think SpD Vulla is common enough that another example is warranted.

Knock Off is also essential to cripple walls; after they lose their Berry Juice or Eviolite, they become much worse at switching into Wingull or its teammates in the future. Knock Off also dissuades faster Choice Scarf Pokemon from switching in and immediately outspeeding Wingull, since they might lose their item on the switch.

Set Details
========

A Naive Timid nature and 236 Speed EVs let Wingull reach 19 speed, which lets it tie with Jolly Ponyta and Meowth and outspeed every other unboosted Pokemon except for Diglett. A Naive nature is used instead of a Timid or Gentle nature because Wingull uses physical attacks and does not want a nature lowering its attack, and its Special Defense is less important than its Defense because nearly all priority attacks in LC are physical. To help it survive priority attacks, the remaining 36 EVs are invested in defense. 0 HP IVs drop Wingull's HP to 19, which increases its longevity by making it only lose 1HP from Life Orb recoil.

Usage Tips
========
This is fine.

Team Options
========

Choice Scarf users appreciate Wingull's ability to weaken the opposing team, which helps them sweep in the late game. Choice Scarf Vullaby and Farfetch'd-Galar are both fast cleaners that benefit from Wingull's support. Since Wingull is often revenged by Choice Scarf users, it benefits from a bulky teammate like Onix or Spritzee that is able to switch into their attacks.
hmnn, i don't think this really holds true anymore. We have other easier ways to manage something similar to this, and typically you'd want another type of Vullaby paired with gull.

Other water types, such as Corphish, Shellder, and Krabby, appreciate Wingull's ability to weaken Water resists such as Ferroseed, Oddish, and Mareanie with Hurricane and Knock Off. Thus, a Water spam duo of Wingull and another Water-type Pokemon can be very effective. Shellder doesn't work out too well, i'm thinking it's best to leave off here even if it can work out. The 2nd sentence seems redundant.

Other Options
=============

Wingull has a few more interesting and usable options in its movepool. Substitute can take advantage of opponents who choose to sack a Pokemon in order to then revenge Wingull; after putting up a Substitute and KOing the sack, Wingull cannot immediately be revenge-killed by a faster Pokemon, causing more trouble for offensive teams. This also helps it play around Pawniard's Sucker Punch, the priority attack that does the most damage to Wingull and make better use of Berry Juice. Protect lets Wingull scout Choice users and avoid being revenge killed by Trapinch's First Impression. Roost gives Wingull a solution to its durability problem. However, U-Turn and Knock Off are much more useful than Substitute, Protect, or Roost, since those two moves are useful for Wingull's teammates rather than just Wingull. Using Air Slash in order to have a more accurate Flying-type STAB attack can be useful in certain situations, but Hurricane's power is more valuable. Make this one the first sentence -> Finally, Wingull can use Berry Juice to mitigate its durability problem, but Wingull is so frail that it is often KOed before Berry Juice can activate.

Checks and Counters
===================

(asterisk add) **Stealth Rock**:
QC 2/3
Fiend, 208173

Lots of little things to tune up. Unsure the relevancy of a particular Electric Normal type mentioned as a counter but that's a nitpick someone else can have.

Expulso

Implemented and ready for QC 3.

Two questions for the last QCer:
- Is Air Slash worth a slash on the fourth moveslot?
- is Berry Juice worth a slash as item?

Expulso

per discussion in #qc on lc discord, the consensus among qcers (fiend / lily / ghost) seemed to be the following:

move1 - hurricane
move2 - scald
move3 - sub
move4 - air slash / uturn

mention knock off in moves section
mention berry juice in items section (along with reminder to run 21hp instead of 19hp if using it)

mention rain dance in OO

im just going to tag, uh, Fiend Stoward to ask whether qc approves of the changes listed above. thx yall!

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
yes @ above changes. knock off is valuable but only usable when wingull forces a switch, whereas every other move there is much more consistently useful

excellent overview

Hurricane is Wingull's most powerful attack. Despite its shaky accuracy, Hurricane should definitely be used over Air Slash; the extra power is essential for its damage output, enabling Wingull to reach important benchmarks like OHKO-ing Eviolite Oddish.
you can slightly rephrase this when talking about air slash, but also mention the value of air slash in that it can confirm KOs on weakened pokemon without relying on hurricane's shaky accuracy

be sure to also talk about sub in the updated version

Set Details
========

A Naive nature and 236 Speed EVs let Wingull reach 19 speed, which lets it tie with Jolly Ponyta and Meowth and outspeed every other unboosted Pokemon except for Diglett.
i don't think the meowth mention is warranted; honestly the only relevant 19 speeders here are ponyta and ponyta-galar. good meowth will usually run adamant and wingull gets popped by adamant feint anyway:

236+ Atk Life Orb Technician Meowth Feint vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Wingull: 12-16 (63.1 - 84.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Possible damage amounts: (12, 12, 12, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 16)

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Although defensively bulky Pokemon such as Mareanie and Spritzee do not appreciate having their Eviolite knocked off and take a significant amount of damage from a Life Orb Hurricane, they are able to live any one attack from Wingull even without Eviolite and do enough damage to KO Wingull or prevent it from switching in again.
i'd include ferroseed here as well

**Choice Scarf Users**: Choice Scarf users such as Vullaby and Farfetch'd-Galar are able to outspeed and OHKO Wingull, although they cannot switch in to Knock Off or Wingull's STAB attacks.
weak armor scarf vullaby *could* switch into knock off. it's minor but just leave it as-is, i think it's not important enough to be objectionable

this is really well done imo

3/3

amcheck also cacaw!
Add Remove (Comments)
Make sure to make everything into one paragraph for each section, especially the moves sections. I didn't combine everything to make it easier for you to implement the amcheck. Good work! :)
[OVERVIEW]
Remove space
Wingull is one of the fastest Pokemon in the LC metagame, and its STAB combination of Water and Flying has almost perfect coverage. It is able to weaken bulky Pokemon in the beginning of the game with U-Turn, Knock Off, and Scald's burn chance, and its excellent Speed speed tier and powerful attacks enable Wingull to tear through weakened teams later in the game.

Although Wingull's pros are very compelling, it has some glaring flaws that must be played around when using it. Wingull has awful bulk, cannot switch into any non-Ground-type attack without being severely crippled, and is quickly weakened by Stealth Rock and Life Orb recoil. Its primary offensive attack, Hurricane, has a 30% chance to miss, meaning that Wingull will often fail to get an important KO.

Despite its flaws, Wingull remains an extremely difficult Pokemon to switch into. Defensive Pokemon such as Mareanie, Ferroseed, and Spritzee cannot comfortably switch into Wingull's attacks, especially if they have lost their Eviolite to Knock Off from Wingull or a teammate. Access to U-Turn U-turn lets Wingull pivot into a trapper like Trapinch or Diglett to eliminate Ground-weak defensive checks like Chinchou and Mareanie or build momentum. Once Wingull has weakened the other team, it becomes very difficult to deal with. (you mentioned this in the first paragraph)

[SET]
move 4: Air Slash / U-Turn U-turn

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Remove space
Hurricane is Wingull's most powerful attack. Despite its shaky accuracy, the extra power is essential for its damage output, enabling Wingull to reach important benchmarks like OHKOing OHKO-ing Eviolite Oddish.

Scald complements Hurricane as Wingull's other STAB; many Pokemon that resist Hurricane, like Onix and Pawniard, are either KOed or severely damaged by Scald and do not appreciate its 30% chance to burn.

Substitute lets Wingull take advantage of the many switches it forces; if Wingull sets up a Substitute as the opponent sacks a weakened Pokemon, it cannot easily be revenge killed revenge-killed, giving it the chance to freely launch LO Hurricanes and decimate the opponent's team. It also helps Wingull evade Pawniard's Sucker Punch.

Air Slash gives Wingull a more reliable Flying-type STAB attack, which enables Wingull to secure KOes on weakened Pokemon such as Mareanie and Corphish without being forced to depend on Hurricane's poor accuracy. This is particularly helpful due to Wingull's fragility; as if it misses Hurricane, the opposing Pokemon can typically KO Wingull back.

Alternatively, U-turn U-Turn lets Wingull build momentum. After weakening opposing Pokemon with its powerful STAB attacks, it can switch out to a teammate to trap the foe or otherwise take advantage of its switch-ins.

Knock Off is an additional option that can cripple opposing walls; after they lose their Berry Juice or Eviolite, they become much worse at switching into Wingull or its teammates in the future. However, its low damage output means that if the opponent stays in on a Knock Off, they will lose their item but almost always live to KO Wingull back. Knock Off can be effective if Wingull forces a switch, but the other moves are generally more consistent.

A Life Orb significantly boosts Wingull's power, letting it use its good STAB combination and Speed speed tier to tear through the opponent's team every time it comes in. However, Berry Juice can also be used to give Wingull more opportunities to switch in.

Set Details
========
Remove Space
A Naive nature and 236 Speed EVs let Wingull reach 19 Speed speed, which lets it Speed tie with Jolly Ponyta and Timid Galarian Ponyta-Galar and leaves Diglett as the only unboosted Pokemon faster than it. Although Wingull may use some physical attacks, running an Attack-decreasing nature does not reduce its damage output in any meaningful way, so a Timid nature is used to avoid reducing Wingull's bulk even further. The remaining 36 EVs are invested in Defense to help Wingull survive priority attacks, which are most commonly physical. 0 HP IVs drop Wingull's HP to 19, which increases its longevity by making it only lose 1HP from Life Orb recoil. If using Berry Juice, however, Wingull should run the usual 31 HP IVs.

Usage Tips
========
Remove Space
Due to Wingull's poor bulk, it should avoid switching into attacks directly. It is better to bring it in once a teammate has been KOed KO'd or through U-turn support from teammates such as Vullaby. Wingull also does not like to take Stealth Rock damage, so keeping hazards off the field is very helpful for Wingull, especially if it is at low health.

If the opponent does not have any good switch-ins to Wingull, Wingull can use its powerful STAB attacks right away. If the opposing team has specially bulky Pokemon that are able to switch into Wingull, however, Wingull then it should spend the beginning of the game using Knock Off to remove their items or U-turn U-Turn to gain momentum or trap them. During the mid- to late-game, once its switch-ins have been weakened, Wingull should be brought in safely and then spam its powerful STAB attacks to KO anything that switches in.

Team Options
========
Remove Space
Due to Wingull's fragility and Life Orb recoil, hazard removal is necessary for Wingull to safely switch in multiple times during a match. Thus, Wingull appreciates the hazard control provided by a Defog or Rapid Spinger user such as Vullaby,(AC) or Timburr,(AC) and or Rapid Spin Drilbur.

Wingull's U-Turn U-turn works excellently alongside trappers such as Diglett and Trapinch, since Wingull can lure in defensive Pokemon such as Chinchou or Mareanie and U-turn U-Turn out to a trapper to eliminate them. Wingull also appreciates teammates such as Vullaby that can use U-Turn U-turn to help Wingull switch in without taking damage.

Since Wingull is often revenged killed by Choice Scarf users, it benefits from a bulky teammate like Onix and or Spritzee that is able to switch into their attacks.

Other Water-types water types, such as Corphish and Krabby, appreciate Wingull's ability to weaken Water-type resists such as Ferroseed, Oddish, and Mareanie with Hurricane and Knock Off.

Other Options
=============
Remove Space
Rain Dance guarantees that Wingull's Hurricanes will hit and powers up its Water-type attacks. Wingull would typically prefer to spend a turn attacking than setting up Rain Dance, but the additional power and accuracy Wingull has under Rain can be very useful. Protect lets Wingull scout Choice item users and avoid being revenge killed by Trapinch's First Impression, although Substitute is typically more effective at dealing with these tactics. Roost gives Wingull a solution to its durability problem; however, Wingull already struggles to choose its four moves and would rather spend a turn attacking than healing, so Berry Juice is more effective at keeping helping Wingull remain healthy (this is a subjective change but seems less clunky).

Checks and Counters
===================
Remove Space
**Stealth Rock**: Wingull is extremely susceptible to chip damage. The combination of Stealth Rock and Life Orb recoil can prevent Wingull from being effective beyond KOing one Pokemon, as a weakened Wingull dies to any form of priority --(I think a semicolon is better here) even resisted attacks such as Timburr's Mach Punch can kill when Wingull is at 30%, which may occur if Wingull has switched into Stealth Rock and attacked twice. Thus, even without taking an attack, Wingull can be put into KO range due to residual damage alone if Stealth Rock is up. Therefore, hazard removal from a teammate like Defog Vullaby or Timburr is greatly appreciated. (you mentioned this earlier already)

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Although defensively bulky Pokemon such as Mareanie, Spritzee, and Ferroseed take a significant amount of damage from a Life Orb Hurricane and do not appreciate having their Eviolite removed knocked off, they are able to live any one attack from Wingull even without Eviolite and do enough damage to KO Wingull or prevent it from switching in again.

**Choice Scarf Users**: Choice Scarf users such as Vullaby and Galarian Farfetch'd-Galar are able to outspeed and OHKO Wingull, although they cannot switch in to Knock Off or Wingull's STAB attacks.

**Priority**: Wingull's Speed advantage is neutralized by priority attacks, such as Pawniard's Sucker Punch, that can KO it before it can attack. Wingull's teammates must be able to deal with common priority users like Timburr and Pawniard. (not the place to talk about teammates)

**Electric-(AH)types**: Despite not being top-(RH)tier Pokemon in this metagame, Chinchou and Dry Skin Helioptile deserve to be mentioned as the only Pokemon in LC that resist both of Wingull's STABs. Wingull can cripple Chinchou with Knock Off, but it will be unable to defeat Chinchou by itself. Wingull can 2HKO Helioptile but must hit two Hurricanes to do so.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

Expulso

Thank you ForgottenOnes! I implemented most of it, and really appreciate you catching repeated errors such as capitalizing the t in "U-turn".

To help you out I left these comments about the few changes i didn't implement.

moves
This is particularly helpful due to Wingull's fragility; as if it misses Hurricane, the opposing Pokemon can typically KO Wingull back.
seems too subjective/stylistic and i think the way i wrote it is fine.

After weakening opposing Pokemon with its powerful STAB attacks, it can switch out to a teammate to trap the foe or otherwise take advantage of its switch-ins.
feels unnecessary to add an object there; the object of "trap" is "its switch-ins" [same object as "take advantage of"].

team options
it benefits from a bulky teammate like Onix and or Spritzee that is able to switch into their attacks.
it would be "a bulky teammate" if providing one teammate ("onix or spritzee"); it would be "bulky teammates" if providing multiple teammates ("onix and spritzee"). i implemented "and" but also changed it to "bulky teammates."

checks&counters
**Stealth Rock**: Wingull is extremely susceptible to chip damage. The combination of Stealth Rock and Life Orb recoil can prevent Wingull from being effective beyond KOing one Pokemon, as a weakened Wingull dies to any form of priority --(I think a semicolon is better here) even resisted attacks such as Timburr's Mach Punch can kill when Wingull is at 30%, which may occur if Wingull has switched into Stealth Rock and attacked twice.
yeah this sentence is super long, oops! i started a new sentence there which seems like a better option than a semicolon.

Therefore, hazard removal from a teammate like Defog Vullaby or Timburr is greatly appreciated. (you mentioned this earlier already)
i think it can be good to repeat it in that context to show why it is important (i.e. it mitigates one of the best ways to cripple wingull). however, if length is an issue this can be cut.

Thank you ForgottenOnes! I implemented most of it, and really appreciate you catching repeated errors such as capitalizing the t in "U-turn".

To help you out I left these comments about the few changes i didn't implement.

moves

seems too subjective/stylistic and i think the way i wrote it is fine.

feels unnecessary to add an object there; the object of "trap" is "its switch-ins" [same object as "take advantage of"].

team options

it would be "a bulky teammate" if providing one teammate ("onix or spritzee"); it would be "bulky teammates" if providing multiple teammates ("onix and spritzee"). i implemented "and" but also changed it to "bulky teammates."

checks&counters

yeah this sentence is super long, oops! i started a new sentence there which seems like a better option than a semicolon.

i think it can be good to repeat it in that context to show why it is important (i.e. it mitigates one of the best ways to cripple wingull). however, if length is an issue this can be cut.
There's still a "U-Turn" in your second sentence in your Overview, but I really appreciate the feedback, this was genuinely super helpful, thank you so much! :) (i didn't notice it either oops)

GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]
Wingull is one of the fastest Pokemon in LC, and its STAB combination of Water and Flying has almost perfect coverage. It is able to weaken bulky Pokemon in the beginning of the game with U-turn, Knock Off, and Scald, and use its excellent Speed tier and powerful attacks enable Wingull to tear through weakened teams later in the game. Although Wingull's pros are very compelling, it has some glaring flaws that must be played around when using it. Wingull has awful bulk, cannot switch into any non-Ground-type attack without being severely crippled, and is quickly weakened by Stealth Rock and Life Orb recoil. Its primary offensive attack, Hurricane, has a 30% chance to miss, meaning that Wingull will often fail to get an important KO. Despite its flaws, Wingull remains an extremely difficult Pokemon to switch into. Defensive Pokemon such as Mareanie, Ferroseed, and Spritzee cannot comfortably switch into Wingull's attacks, especially if they have lost their Eviolite to Knock Off from Wingull or a teammate. Access to U-turn lets Wingull pivot into a trapper like Trapinch or Diglett to eliminate Ground-weak defensive checks like Chinchou and Mareanie or build momentum. Wingull has some glaring flaws, however. Its awful bulk makes it crippled if it switches into any non-Ground-type attack, and it is quickly weakened by Life Orb recoil and Stealth Rock. Its primary attack, Hurricane, has only 70% accuracy, meaning Wingull will often fail to get important KOs.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Hurricane is Wingull's most powerful attack. Despite its shaky accuracy, the extra power is essential for its damage output, enabling Wingull to reach important benchmarks KOs like OHKOing Eviolite Oddish. Scald complements Hurricane as Wingull's other STAB; many Pokemon that resist Hurricane, like Onix and Pawniard, are either KOed or severely damaged by Scald and do not appreciate its 30% chance to burn. Substitute lets Wingull take advantage of the many switches it forces; if Wingull sets up a uses Substitute as the opponent sacks sends in a weakened Pokemon as KO fodder, it cannot easily be revenge killed, giving it the chance to freely launch LO Hurricanes attacks and decimate the opponent's team. It Substitute also helps lets Wingull evade Pawniard's Sucker Punch. Air Slash gives Wingull a more reliable Flying-type STAB attack, (comma) which enables Wingull to secure KOes on to consistently KO weakened Pokemon such as Mareanie and Corphish without being forced to depend on Hurricane's poor accuracy. This is particularly helpful due to Wingull's fragility; if it Wingull misses Hurricane, the opposing Pokemon can typically KO Wingull back. Alternatively, U-turn lets Wingull build momentum. After weakening opposing Pokemon with its powerful STAB attacks, it can switch out to a teammate to trap or otherwise take advantage of its switch-ins. Knock Off is an additional option that can cripple opposing walls; after they lose their Berry Juice or Eviolite, they become much worse at switching into Wingull or and its teammates in the future. However, its Knock Off's low damage output means that if the opponent stays in on a Knock Off, they will lose their item but almost always live withstand it to KO Wingull back. Knock Off can be effective if Wingull forces a switch, but the other moves are generally more consistent. A Life Orb significantly boosts Wingull's power, letting it use its good STAB combination and Speed tier to tear through the opponent's team every time it comes in. However, Berry Juice can also be used to give Wingull more opportunities to switch in.

Set Details
========
A Naive Timid nature and 236 Speed EVs let Wingull reach 19 Speed, which lets it tie with Jolly Ponyta and Timid Galarian Ponyta and leaves Diglett as the only unboosted Pokemon faster than it. Although Wingull may use some physical attacks, running an Attack-decreasing nature does not reduce its damage output in any meaningful way those attacks are used for their utility rather than their power, so a Timid nature is used to avoid reducing Wingull's bulk even further. The remaining 36 EVs are invested in Defense to help Wingull survive priority attacks, which are most commonly physical. (examples? you should typically have concrete reasons to go for bulk on offensive mons) 0 HP IVs drop Wingull's HP to 19, which increases its longevity by making it only lose 1HP from Life Orb recoil. If using Berry Juice, however, Wingull should run the usual 31 HP IVs.

Usage Tips
========
Due to Wingull's poor bulk, it should avoid switching into attacks directly. It is better to bring it in once a teammate has been KOed or through U-turn support from teammates such as Vullaby. Wingull also does not like to take Stealth Rock damage, so keeping entry hazards off the field is very helpful for Wingull, especially if it is at low health. If the opponent does not have any good switch-ins to Wingull, Wingull can use its powerful STAB attacks right away. If there are opposing team has specially bulky Pokemon that are able to switch into Wingull, however, Wingull should spend the beginning of the game using Knock Off to remove their items or U-turn to gain momentum or trap them. During the mid- to late-game, once its switch-ins have been weakened, Wingull should be brought in safely and then spam its powerful STAB attacks to KO anything that switches in.

Team Options
========
Due to Wingull's fragility and Life Orb recoil, entry hazard removal is necessary for Wingull to safely switch in multiple times during a match. Thus, Wingull appreciates the hazard control provided by Rapid Spin Drilbur or a Defog user such as Vullaby or Timburr. Wingull's U-turn works excellently alongside trappers such as Diglett and Trapinch, since Wingull can lure in defensive Pokemon such as Chinchou or and Mareanie and U-turn out pivot to a trapper to eliminate them. Wingull also appreciates teammates such as Vullaby, (comma) which that can use U-turn to help Wingull switch in without taking damage. Since Wingull is often revenge killed by Choice Scarf users, it benefits from bulky teammates like Onix and Spritzee that are able to switch into their attacks like Onix and Spritzee. Other Water-types, such as Corphish and Krabby, appreciate Wingull's ability to weaken Water resists switch-ins such as Ferroseed, Oddish, and Mareanie with Hurricane and Knock Off.

Other Options
=============
Rain Dance guarantees that Wingull's Hurricanes will hit and powers up its Water-type attacks. Wingull would typically prefer to spend a turn attacking than setting up Rain Dance, but the additional power and accuracy Wingull has under Rain can be very useful. Protect lets Wingull scout Choice item users and avoid being revenge killed by Trapinch's First Impression, although Substitute is typically more effective at dealing with these tactics. Roost gives Wingull a solution to its durability problem; however, Wingull already struggles to choose its four moves and would rather spend a turn attacking than healing, so Berry Juice is more effective at keeping Wingull healthy.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Stealth Rock**: Wingull is extremely susceptible to chip damage. The combination of Stealth Rock and Life Orb recoil can prevent Wingull from being effective beyond KOing one Pokemon, as a weakened Wingull dies loses to any form of priority. Even resisted attacks such as Timburr's Mach Punch can kill when Wingull is at deal 30%, which may occur KO if Wingull has switched into Stealth Rock and attacked twice. Thus, even without taking an attack, Wingull can be put into KO range due to residual damage alone if Stealth Rock is up. Therefore, hazard removal from a teammate like Defog Vullaby or Timburr is greatly appreciated.

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Although defensively bulky Pokemon such as Mareanie, Spritzee, and Ferroseed take a significant amount of damage from a Life Orb Hurricane and do not appreciate having their Eviolite removed, they are able to live take any one attack from Wingull even without Eviolite and do enough damage to KO Wingull or prevent it from switching in again.

**Choice Scarf Users**: Choice Scarf users such as Vullaby and Galarian Farfetch'd-Galar are able to outspeed and OHKO Wingull, although they cannot switch in to Knock Off or Wingull's STAB attacks.

**Priority**: Wingull's Speed advantage is neutralized by priority attacks, (comma) such as Pawniard's Sucker Punch, that which can KO it before it can attack,.(period) and Wingull can often be revenged revenge killed by weak priority attacks because it is easily worn down.

**Electric-types**: Chinchou and the niche Dry Skin Helioptile deserve to be mentioned as the only Pokemon in LC that resist both of Wingull's STABs. Wingull can cripple Chinchou with Knock Off or pivot out to a teammate to trap it, but it will be is unable to defeat Chinchou by itself. Wingull can 2HKO Helioptile but must hit two Hurricanes twice to do so.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
add remove (comments)
[OVERVIEW]
Wingull is one of the fastest Pokemon in LC, and its STAB combination of Water and Flying has almost perfect coverage. It is able to weaken bulky Pokemon in the beginning of the game with U-turn, Knock Off, and Scald, (RC) and use its excellent Speed tier and powerful attacks to tear through weakened teams later in the game. Defensive Pokemon such as Mareanie, Ferroseed, and Spritzee cannot comfortably switch into Wingull's attacks, especially if they have lost their Eviolite to Knock Off from Wingull or a teammate. U-turn lets Wingull pivot into a trapper like Trapinch or Diglett to eliminate Ground-weak checks like Chinchou and Mareanie or build momentum. Wingull has some glaring flaws, however. Its awful bulk makes it crippled if it switches into any non-Ground-type attack, and it is quickly weakened by Life Orb recoil and Stealth Rock. Its Additionally, (AC) primary attack, Hurricane, has only 70% accuracy, meaning Wingull will often fail to get important KOs.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Hurricane is Wingull's most powerful attack. Despite its shaky accuracy, the extra power is essential for important KOs like OHKOing Eviolite Oddish. Scald complements Hurricane as Wingull's other STAB attack; many Pokemon that resist Hurricane, like Onix and Pawniard, are KOed or severely damaged by Scald and do not appreciate its 30% chance to burn. Substitute lets Wingull take advantage of the many switches it forces; if Wingull uses Substitute as the opponent sends in a weakened Pokemon as KO fodder, it cannot easily be revenge killed, giving it the chance to freely launch attacks and decimate the opponent's team. Substitute also lets Wingull evade Pawniard's Sucker Punch. Air Slash gives Wingull a more reliable Flying-type STAB attack to consistently KO weakened Pokemon such as Mareanie and Corphish. This is particularly helpful due to Wingull's fragility; if Wingull misses Hurricane, the opposing Pokemon can typically KO Wingull back. Alternatively, U-turn lets Wingull build momentum. After weakening opposing Pokemon with its powerful STAB attacks, it can switch out to a teammate to trap or otherwise take advantage of its switch-ins. Knock Off is an additional option that can cripple walls; after they lose their Berry Juice or Eviolite, they become much worse at switching into Wingull and its teammates. However, Knock Off's low damage output means that if the opponent foe stays in on Knock Off, they will lose their item but almost always withstand it to KO Wingull back. Knock Off can be effective if Wingull forces a switch, but the other moves are generally more consistent. Life Orb significantly boosts Wingull's power, letting it use its good STAB combination and Speed tier to tear through the opponent's team every time it comes in. However, Berry Juice can be used to give Wingull more opportunities to switch in.

Set Details
========
A Timid nature and 236 Speed EVs let Wingull reach 19 Speed, which lets it Speed tie with Jolly Ponyta and Timid Galarian Ponyta and leaves Diglett as the only unboosted Pokemon faster than it. Although Wingull may use some physical attacks, those attacks are used for their utility rather than their power, so a Timid nature is used to avoid reducing Wingull's bulk even further. The remaining 36 EVs are invested in Defense to help Wingull better survive priority attacks, which are most commonly physical, such as Timburr's Mach Punch and Pawniard's Sucker Punch. 0 HP IVs drop Wingull's HP to 19, which increases its longevity by making it only lose 1HP from Life Orb recoil. If using Berry Juice, however, Wingull should run the usual 31 HP IVs.

Usage Tips
========
Due to Wingull's poor bulk, it should avoid switching into attacks directly. It is better to bring it in once a teammate has been KOed or through U-turn support from teammates such as Vullaby. Wingull also does not like to take Stealth Rock damage, so keeping entry hazards off the field is very helpful for Wingull. If the opponent does not have any good switch-ins to Wingull, Wingull can use its powerful STAB attacks right away. If there are specially bulky Pokemon that are able to switch into Wingull, however, Wingull should spend the beginning of the game using Knock Off to remove their items or U-turn to gain momentum or pivot into a teammate to trap them. During the mid- Mid- to late-game, once its switch-ins have been weakened, Wingull should be brought in safely and then spam its powerful STAB attacks to KO anything that switches in.

Team Options
========
Due to Wingull's fragility and Life Orb recoil, entry hazard removal is necessary for Wingull to safely switch in multiple times during a match. Thus, Wingull appreciates the hazard control provided by Rapid Spin Drilbur or a Defog user such as Vullaby or Timburr. Wingull's U-turn works excellently alongside trappers such as Diglett and Trapinch, since Wingull can lure in defensive Pokemon such as Chinchou and Mareanie and pivot into a trapper to eliminate them. Wingull also appreciates teammates such as Vullaby, which can use U-turn to help Wingull switch in without taking damage. Since Wingull is often revenge killed by Choice Scarf users, it benefits from bulky teammates that are able to switch into their attacks like, (AC) such as Onix and Spritzee. Other Water-types, such as Corphish and Krabby, appreciate Wingull's ability to weaken Water-type switch-ins such as Ferroseed, Oddish, and Mareanie with Hurricane and Knock Off.

Other Options
=============
Rain Dance guarantees that Wingull's Hurricane will hit and powers up its Water-type attacks. Wingull would typically prefer to spend a turn attacking than setting up Rain Dance, but the additional power and accuracy can be very useful. Protect lets Wingull scout Choice item users and avoid being revenge killed by Trapinch's First Impression, although Substitute is typically more effective at dealing with these tactics. Roost gives Wingull a solution to its durability problem; however, Wingull already struggles to choose its four moves and would rather spend a turn attacking than healing, so Berry Juice is more effective at keeping Wingull it healthy.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Stealth Rock**: Wingull is extremely susceptible to chip damage. The combination of Stealth Rock and Life Orb recoil can prevent Wingull from being effective beyond KOing one Pokemon, as a weakened Wingull loses to any form of priority. Even resisted attacks such as Timburr's Mach Punch deal 30%, which may KO if Wingull has switched into Stealth Rock and attacked twice.

**Specially Defensive Walls**: Although bulky Pokemon such as Mareanie, Spritzee, and Ferroseed take a significant amount of damage from Life Orb Hurricane and do not appreciate having their Eviolite removed, they are able to take any one attack from Wingull even without Eviolite and do enough damage to KO Wingull or prevent it from switching in again.

**Choice Scarf Users**: Choice Scarf users such as Vullaby and Galarian Farfetch'd are able to outspeed and OHKO Wingull, although they cannot switch in to Knock Off or Wingull's STAB attacks.

**Priority**: Wingull's Speed advantage is neutralized by priority attacks such as Pawniard's Sucker Punch, which can KO it before it can attack. Wingull can often be revenge killed by weak priority attacks because it is easily worn down.

**Chinchou**: Chinchou is the only Pokemon in LC with a typing that resists both of Wingull's STABs attacks, and its typing and impressive bulk let it reliably switch into Wingull multiple times in a match. Wingull can cripple Chinchou with Knock Off or pivot to a teammate to trap it, but it is unable to defeat Chinchou by itself.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[CryoGyro, 331519], [, ]]
2/2 :blobthumbsup:
Estronic-GP-small.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)