Board Game Winter Diplomacy - Signups/Discussion of Format (ON HIATUS)

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Continuing Agape's tradition of completely disregarding the southern hemisphere when naming things, welcome to Winter Diplomacy 2015!

For those who don't know, Diplomacy is a board game. Think Risk meets chess. I don't have links handy atm but I'll link the rules when I can.

Go ahead and sign up below. I'll start the game within the next 3-4 days, if not sooner.

REGARDING FORMAT: Off the top of my head, I can run the following formats:
-Vanilla
-Fleet Rome
-Milan + Winter 1900 (I will not run either of these individually)
-Westeros
-Ancient Mediterranean (which is actually quite fun!)

I'm also willing to take suggestions; these are just all the ones I know.

Note that Westeros would definitely require me to edit the map in GIMP, and Ancient Med might; I need to see if Realpolitik supports it. What this means is that updating in these formats will take much longer than in any of the others.

When signing up, please include which format you'd like to play and why. I'll decide on a format once we reach some sort of general consensus.

SIGN-UPS:
Agape (reserved cause he hosted the last game, his slot to claim should he choose to do so)
sunny004
LifeAdmiral
Drawesome532

tagging UncleSam Gale Wing Srock Drawesome532 Bass

newbies are encouraged to sign up too!

Last edited:
I'm in, either 1900+milan or Amed depending on player roster

imo vanilla/f rom shouldn't be separate choices, but rather the player of Italy should have the choice

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Gonna throw out that it might be a good idea, if using the Milan+Winter 1900 Variant (which I think is actually really well balanced, as last game showed; all countries had a lot of options), to enforce that Turkey build Fleet Ankara. This is a nerf to Turkey which it kind of needs, as it is unquestionably the best country on the board in that variant.

The only question is whether this is a nerf to an already-weak Russia. Personally I'm of the opinion that it gives Russia the ability to build F Sev without declaring war on Turkey, though the fact that it also encourages Turkey to attack Russia (and ally with Austria even moreso than in last game) isn't great.

That being said apparently people think that Austria shouldn't ally with Turkey (I think those people are 100% wrong) so maybe Turkey will already be getting the nerf it needs simply from reaction to last game. Just figured I'd throw this up for debate.

I'm in, I vote for the ancient Mediterranean map. It's more balanced than it looks initially. Walrein and I have played on that one before and it was a lot of fun!

If that doesn't go through then I vote for the fleet Rome variant.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I guess I should probably mention (for those of you who are unaware) that Ancient Mediterranean is a five man variant. So theoretically we could start that very very soon, assuming nobody else signs up

:( I'm having a rough time with meds rn so psw (cough cough I'm playing your char walrein cough cough) gets my circus time unfortunately, diplo requires too much realtime communication for me to be able to play it rn. I've wanted to play for awhile but having trouble getting together 8 for vanilla and idk if I'd be up to playing any of the other formats. Just wanted to clarify in case whether I was gonna sign up or not was still unclear. Please do tag me for next diplo though and if you get a game together I'd be super happy to listen to rants from people :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)