SM OU Winter is Coming

Winter is coming!

In the sixth generation I prided myself on being an Eevee trainer; come the seventh generation I decided to take some of these new Aloha variants for a spin and see what I came up with. What I netted as a result was a rather interesting take on some old favorites, with enough of a archetype spread to prove interesting to say the least.

Teambuilding Process

New life is breathed into Ninetales with it's new Aloha form, sporting a brand new dual-typing and a very subtle shift in the spread of its BST. Removing 9 points from the useless Attack stat to be reassigned to speed puts it ahead of the threats assailing it previously such as Simipour, Purugly and even Floatzel (assuming a favorable nature matchup). In addition, new moves offered to the 'mon with the new generation offer a bit more utility.

After picking a brand new 'mon, I wanted to take things back into familiar territory, choosing a good lead that could set up some hazards, troll those who want to set up, and generally be an incredible nuisance in its own right.

With a good lead and what appears to be a great fast special attacker, I looked to find another Ice type that could compliment Ninetales. Surprisingly, the Aloha variant of Sandslash fit the bill perfectly to me. Acting as the bulky physical attacker (and pseudo wall) to Ninetales' fast, special attacker, Sandslash-Aloha seemed like a great choice for me to use.

Now I hear you all saying "you scrub, Castform isn't an ice type wtf" but consider that under Hail conditions, it turns into the ice type to blend with the rest of the team. In addition, Castform's uniform BSTs (and movepool) allow me to delegate it to whatever role I want, be it physical wall, special wall, HP sponge, what have you. Plus I couldn't pass up the opportunity for a joke in the naming of my team members.

Cloyster really needs no introduction for any team. Acting as a late game sweeper, Cloyster enjoys fantastic defensive stats, and an amazing gimmick movepool. The fact that it's an ice type just tickles me as I'm able to enter (once again) familiar territory in case things go absolutely pear shaped.

The last slot on my team was honestly rather difficult to determine. Should I go with a Crabominable, with its rediculous attack stat, insane moves (I'm looking at you, Ice Hammer), and good bulk? Or should I go with Vanilluxe, with its even better stats but monotyping? Ultimately, I decided to assign Arceus' lil brudder to the last slot, simply because of the movepool it offers. Like Castform, the flat stat distribution allows me the opportunity to create either a mixed attacker or go all in on physical or special.

The Team

Ventisca (Ninetales-Alola) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Moonblast
- Extrasensory
- Freeze-Dry
Initially, I had planned on Ninetales being an Aurora Veil-er with Light Clay rather than the Choice Specs swapping out Extrasensory for Veil and Nasty Plot for Freeze-Dry. I feel, however, that there is enough not only enough bulk in the team to not warrant the use of Veil but also a presence in the meta for wall smashing (LOOKING AT YOU BRUXISH) so instead I opted to go with a specs user. Extrasensory functions as a counter to poison and fighting types looking to chump Ninetales, and Freeze-Dry acts as a great answer to annoying water types that otherwise can shrug off the hits from my beaters (Sandslash and Silvally).

Ornery Woman (Froslass) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 196 HP / 56 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond
In this generation, it seems that setting entry hazards/setting up is a prominent tactic with things like Minior and Ribombee in the scene. Taunt addresses those issues with ease and allows for setting up your own entry hazards to punish your opponent when they switch to try and check or counter your team. While Destiny Bond received a severe nerf in this generation (now subject to the same clause as moves like Protect), more often than not Froslass will be able to outspeed a threat and drag the attacker down into the grave with her as she dies.

Pain Train (Sandslash-Alola) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD / 4 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
Oh Sandslash, how good you've become. Much like Ninetales, new life is breathed into this otherwise uninspired former-ground type by taking a whopping 20 points away from the useless Special Attack and assigning ten to Defense and Special Defense each. In addition, the speed boost enjoyed by Slush Rush means Sandslash operates at an effective 386 speed during Hail conditions. Focusing mostly as a mid-game threat, Sandslash is able to punch massive holes in a team if not outright take out multiple attackers. The moveset is a bit uninspired, with no real tricks up its sleeve aside from doubling as a rapid spinner to clear out any hazards that may get past Froslass (or are laid down after Froslass gets knocked out). The only real issue to consider is the 4x weakness to Fire and Fighting, of which special based attacks will rip through its HP bar like cheese cloth.

BlaccuWeather (Castform) @ Icy Rock
Ability: Forecast
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hail
- Weather Ball
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
Following up Froslass usually will be Castform, enabling an 8 turn Hail condition that many Pokemon just can not deal with. In of itself, Hail will deal 1/16th damage to each non-ice pokemon at the end of each turn, which can at worst negate the Leftovers any wall tries to bring, and at best add pressure to the switch ins dealing with Froslass' Spikes (of which there will be at least one layer of). Weather Ball adds an additional 100 damage Ice attack (150 with stab) to its repitoir that can whittle down opponents before yielding to a more offensive based 'mon. The downside to a Hail focused Castform is the limited move pool available to you while mantaining its presence. At best, if Castform can lay down Hail before it dies, it has done its job in my opinion.

U Kno Hoo (Cloyster) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Ice Shard
Oh Shell Smash. How we love to hate you. After a single SS, Cloyster will enjoy an effective speed of 468, meaning the only things you will have to concern yourself with are priority moves (or Trick Room). Rock Blast acts as an answer to Fire types that would otherwise wreck havoc on this all-ice team, while Ice Shard addresses the Priority issue. Cloyster best functions as a late game sweeper and revenge killer, finishing off pokemon that have been otherwise weakened or hamstringed thanks to Spikes. A Focus Sash is used over an Herb due to the inherent nature of not knowing if you will be bringing Cloyster in against a physical or special attacker.

UB-HUNTER (Silvally) @ Ice Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 196 Atk / 60 SpD / 252 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thunder Fang
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
Rounding out the last of the team, Silvally-Ice can act as both a suicide attacker and a check to bulky water and steel types that can cause issues for an all-ice team. With 196 points in Attack, Swords Dance boosts your effective Attack stat to an even 550 to use with Thunder and Fire Fang. A maximized speed stat also allows you to potentially enjoy the full benefit of these moves, both paralysis/burn *and* flinching. Multi-Attack, after a single Dance, also deals massive damage (150 attack after STAB), and can effectively finish up or start what Sandslash wasn't meant for. It is worth noting that while the single typing of Silvally-Ice makes it less prone to getting dunked on by Fire and Fighting moves like Sandslash-Aloha, you do so at the expense of losing six resistances. Also consider thoroughly if the opponent has an Oricorio on their team before using Swords Dance, as they could feasibly turn right around and use that to punish you with a +2 Physical Move (such as Acrobatics).

Conclusion

Gimmick, brute force of both Physical and Special nature, decent tanking types, this team contains it all. If you're looking for something a little different than your standard fare, why not give this Hail team a try?

Ventisca (Ninetales-Alola) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Moonblast
- Extrasensory
- Freeze-Dry

Ornery Woman (Froslass) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 196 HP / 56 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond

Pain Train (Sandslash-Alola) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD / 4 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

BlaccuWeather (Castform) @ Icy Rock
Ability: Forecast
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hail
- Weather Ball
- Thunder Wave
- Scald

U Kno Hoo (Cloyster) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Ice Shard

UB-HUNTER (Silvally) @ Ice Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 196 Atk / 60 SpD / 252 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Thunder Fang
- Fire Fang

First off, if this is intended to be monotype then you should put this RMT in that section.

Ninetales-A: This shouldn't be specs because the only real reason hail's viability has increased this gen is due to Aurora Veil. I strongly recommend 252 SpA/4 SpD/ 252 Spe Timid with Aurora Veil, Blizzard, Moonblast, Filler since it retains offensive presence but also provides the support that is absolutely necessary. Icy rock works fine on it.

Froslass: If you want a suicide lead I think Azelf or Lycanroc-Midday would work better. That said I see that your team gets ripped apart by Pheromosa and could use a proper switch-in to steels. Perhaps Alolan Marowak with stealth rock would help.

Sandslash-A: A good hail abuser, and its moveset looks fine. I'd recommend 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe with a Jolly nature because 386 speed really isn't that impressive and offensive teams will easily revenge kill a slower set. Life Orb will give it the extra power it desperately needs. Also it gives you another Alola variant, which is fun.

Castform: Good lord why is this here. Jokes aside, Castform is massively outclassed in both offensive and supportive capabilities by the Ninetales-A set I listed above. I understand that a second hail setter is nice, but the only options for snow warning mons right now (I would never use a mon with hail when snow warning exists) are Abomasnow, which does not have its mega stone available, Aurorus, and Vanilluxe. Frankly they all suck in OU. I think the best option would be something that can serve as a wallbreaker since stall looks hard to deal with. If you really want a strong ice type I guess Kyurem-Black works but Tapu Lele seems cool since it hits very hard, pressures stall, and supports the team with psychic terrain (your team really appreciates not having to worry about priority). Lele would want to have HP Fire and/or Focus Blast since steels are threatening.

Cloyster: This thing is really strong honestly and it makes for a decent wincon. However, there are other set-up sweepers that can take advantage of Aurora Veil better. I like Mega Gyarados here since it becomes really hard to take down, even with no defensive EV investment, with veil up and it answers many common fire-types. It has good synergy with Tapu Lele since Lele helps break things like Tangrowth and Mega Venusaur so Gyara can go nuts. Lastly it gives you a ground immunity before it mega-evolves.

Silvally: For a check to bulky waters and steels, this thing isn't the best option. Same goes for a wallbreaker. Magnezone traps steels and kills them with HP Fire as well as smashing many water-types with Thunderbolt, although it is very ground weak and the team already has issues with switching into ground types. Some options to fix this are Rotom-Wash, Latios, and Hydreigon. Rotom switches into water moves easily and can use Will-o-wisp or Volt Switch to handle steels like Skarmory and Scizor. It can also provide safe switches through a slow volt switch. Latios handles water types well and can run HP Fire to dent steel types, and it has reliable recovery with Roost. Hydreigon is a powerful wallbreaker with Specs (scarf isn't needed as you already have Sandslash as a good cleaner) and drops Fire Blasts/Dracos all over the place. Keep in mind that they can all switch into EQ but Scarf Excadrill can threaten them all due to Mold Breaker. Lando-T can U-turn when Latios/Hydreigon come in to hit them for massive damage.

I think your approach at hail offense is innovative and definitely fun, but it needs a lot more power and defensive synergy to really excel on the ladder. The biggest flaw in my own suggestion is the glaring weakness to Scarf Excadrill; either Mega Gyara can outplay it or Tapu Lele (if Scarf with HP Fire/Focus Blast) can revenge kill it. Maybe you could throw in Breloom somewhere in this team to dent steels and waters and pick drill off with mach punch, but it doesn't switch into drill well and it can't switch into EQ more than a couple times.

Hope that helps, and congrats on your first post!

-JTD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)