Tournament World Cup of Other Metagames II - Week 1

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Original OP from Megazard

Thanks to Kaiju Bunny for the amazing art!

How this works
There are 8 teams this year. Each team will have have 6 starters and 3 subs. The players are picked by the managers, who have access to any players eligible for their region. Teams can win their matchup every week by winning 4 of the 6 matches that their players have to play.

The tier lineup this year is as follows:
  1. USUM Almost Any Ability
  2. USUM Balanced Hackmons
  3. USUM Mix and Mega
  4. USUM Camomons
  5. USUM STABmons
  6. USUM Tier Shift
All games will be played on the Pokemon Showdown main server or SmogTours in the most current version of the format corresponding to those listed above. Apart from where it is explicitly mentioned (1 and 4 above), the result between players may be decided in a best-of-one or best-of-three at the discretion of both players involved. If there is no agreement, the result will decided in a Bo1 by default.

Matchups for this year's tournament are put in a normal round robin structure, similar to PSPL. There are 8 teams total and they will be divided into 2 groups of 4. Each team will face off against one other team per week and will spend a total of three weeks facing all other teams in their division. Points will be given by the end of each week. All winning teams get 2 points while tied teams get 1 point and losing teams get 0. After three weeks, the two teams of each division with the most points total will make it into the playoff semifinals round where the finalists are determined. All standard Smogon tournament rules and procedures apply.

Tiebreaker
In the event of two teams being tied for a spot in the finals based on points and win differential, or a tie in the final round itself, we will have a tiebreaker round(s).

Tiebreaker Rules: The most played meta from usage stats (Balanced Hackmons) plus one metagame picked by each manager will give a best-of-three game between the tied teams, ultimately deciding who goes onto playoffs or finals.

Rules on Substitutes:
Substitutes are allowed during the group stages. A player that has been subbed out during a week may not be subbed into any other slot. Multiple substitutions may occur in the same slot.

Substitutions will be not be allowed in tiebreak series unless the hosts mandate it. However, since we prioritize games being played, we will consider extension requests so long as they're reasonable. We will also be reluctant to give activity wins to those who are clearly fishing for them.

Scheduling
Scheduling should be done on Smogon VM walls, plain and simple:
  • If there is no communication on VM walls and a game goes undone, it will be left to the RNG to decide the winner
  • If there is communication on only one user's behalf, the win will go to them. Feel free to call activity in this thread beforehand
  • If there is a very healthy back and forth regarding potential times and one user is a no-show, a manager may take the opportunity to sub out the no-show competitor; if this is not done, the user that showed up responsibly will be awarded the win.
TL;DR: VM your opponents, schedule your matches, and be reliable. If you're not reliable, let your manager know so they can sub you out ASAP.

Use these VM's to initiate discussion about bo1 or bo3 as well!

Sportsmanship
Exhibitions of unsportsmanlike conduct with regards to World Cup of Other Metas II will be met with an infraction at the discretion of the WCoOM II hosts/OM mods. This is unlikely to include interactions within a team's private chat unless there is reason found to make an exception. This rule is meant to protect other users from being publicly flamed/bashed/provoked by another competitor for the duration of and following the tournament.

All players must complete their matches by the given deadline. Any incomplete matches by that time will be subject to activity decision (MAKE SURE YOU POST ON YOUR OPPONENT'S VM WALL); otherwise, they will be decided via !pick publicly in the Other Metas Room. All matches should ideally be done on your most notable alt (the one you registered for WCoOM II with) to avoid confusion and the replay must be saved and posted in this thread. The replays will be archived in a separate thread, and will be used to calculate usage stats.

Substitutions & Lineups
Managers, if you wish to make any substitutions, you must post here tagging both the player you're subbing out, the player you're subbing in, the manager and assistant manager of the opposing team, the substitute's opponent(s), and myself. This is to assure that everyone is in-the-loop and that the OP is updated accordingly to reflect the new match-up.

Lineups for the next round will be due on 8:59 PM Eastern on Sunday October 27th.

Matchups:

Sword Division
Canada
(Jrdn, Pigeons) - [1] [5] - US South (In The Hills, Quantum Tesseract)

USUM Almost Any Ability - itsKimbo vs Catalystic
USUM Balanced Hackmons - GL Volkner vs PinkDragonTamer
USUM Mix and Mega - Pigeons vs Skysolo
USUM Camomons - Jrdn vs In The Hills
USUM STABmons - Funbot28 vs aesf
USUM Tier Shift - EviGaro vs Quantum Tesseract

Asia Pacific (The Immortal, Sylveon.)
- [3] [3] - France (Matiss98, LaBalladeDesCieux)

USUM Almost Any Ability - The Immortal vs LaBalladeDesCieux
USUM Balanced Hackmons - Chessking345 vs Naoki-sama
USUM Mix and Mega - TectonicDestroyer vs damflame 3
USUM Camomons - Sylveon. vs Matiss98
USUM STABmons - Chloe vs kuyukihime
USUM Tier Shift - Dj Breloominati♬ vs Dragonillis (sub 1)

Shield Division
US West
(rozes, lax)
- [2] [4] - US Northeast (power, regirock)

USUM Almost Any Ability - ima vs Sabella
USUM Balanced Hackmons - jasprose vs regirock (sub 1)
USUM Mix and Mega - Anaconja (sub 1) vs Andyboy
USUM Camomons - rozes vs Highlord
USUM STABmons - vivalospride vs Betathunder
USUM Tier Shift - Eien vs Megazard

Europe
(Aethernum, Perish Song) - [1] [5] - UK (Hamhamhamham, Willdbeast)

USUM Almost Any Ability - Mark_K vs Racool
USUM Balanced Hackmons - SolarflareRo vs Willdbeast
USUM Mix and Mega - MultiAmmiratore vs xavgb
USUM Camomons - Perish Song vs Chazm
USUM STABmons - umbreon098 vs w0rd
USUM Tier Shift - Elgino10 vs Cam

---
If any errors were made, I apologize in advance and request you to please let me know asap via this thread, VM, PM or through discord!
---

The deadline is Sunday, October 27th, 11:59 PM Eastern

Last edited:

vivalospride

been up all year my third eye aint even blinkin’
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Wow it's omwc already, om tournaments are both amazing and horrible experiences at the same time. Ompl was definitely a horrible experience but I cannot deny the entertainment I received from that tournament until the finals which lasted like 2 months. This tour is already off to a FLYING fuckin start, I can't wait.

Canada (Jrdn, Pigeons) - [4] [2] - US South (In The Hills, Quantum Tesseract)

USUM Almost Any Ability - itsKimbo vs Catalystic - Okay, after a 0-5 uupl, kimbo has a chance at getting some momentum early with this boy cataripstick. Cata is not unfamiliar with aaa, but it's like his 27th most played meta on his list of 50, while kimbo is underrated and has jrdn support.
USUM Balanced Hackmons - GL Volkner vs PinkDragonTamer - US South should bow down to the greatness that is pdt every single day, once per meal w/ a prayer. This guy is not beatable in a team tour, I'm tired of it, someone stop him. I never had faith in headass volt to do so anyways but at least he's a good sport!!
USUM Mix and Mega - Pigeons vs Skysolo - Skysolo beat me in AGPL and AGPL vivalospride is p fuckin disgusting at pocket monsters. I'd bet on skysolo to win b/c of this fact and b/c mnm is an ubers based metagame, similar to ag. HOWEVER Pigeons is the ag TIER LEADER so he completely cheat codes his way into a bolded name.
USUM Camomons - Jrdn vs In The Hills - Jrdn is fuckin murdering snake rn, this tour prolly feels like a kitty pool to him rn. Gl hills but I have like 0 faith in you to overcome the monster that is Jrdn, even if when I ask him for help w/ stabmons all he says is "this is weak to Kyurem" you fuckin lint licker.
USUM STABmons - Funbot28 vs aesf - Funbot is p nasty but aesf has proven to not be a human being. I don't think I can brainlessly bold funbot's name in this mu b/c aesf is like geerat/pdt levels of broken.
USUM Tier Shift - EviGaro vs Quantum Tesseract - QT seems to have limitless knowledge of every metagame that's ever existed and it's not really fair. I bet he has like a 27head b/c his brain must be fuckin humongous. On another note, Evi is p nice at pocket monsters to some degree. Jrdn EviTato combo might prove to be too strong for the over 9000head user Quantum Tesseract.

Asia Pacific (The Immortal, Sylveon.) - [3.5] [2.5] - France (Matiss98, LaBalladeDesCieux)

USUM Almost Any Ability - The Immortal vs LaBalladeDesCieux - Man, I like TI but cmon... Shit like this can possibly be the downfall of this team. Geerat is literally indubitably a top 3 aaa player rfn and prolly ever. WHAT ARE YOU DOING TI?!? Just for this IGNORANCE I'm gonna bold whoever this other guy is.
USUM Balanced Hackmons - Chessking345 vs Naoki-sama - Uhhh, yeah I don't have anything for this. Chessking has numbers in his name which is always a bad thing but Naoki-sama might be the weebiest name of all time so my hands are rlly tied rn. You both shall lose.
USUM Mix and Mega - TectonicDestroyer vs damflame 3 - UH, idk who this damflame3 guy is. Chances are he's at least as good as tect is at mons... but is it enough...? Idk. Idc. Tect will prolly win fuck this.
USUM Camomons - Sylveon. vs Matiss98 - Okay this is gonna be really difficult to bold literally any of these people's names. Do any of you play OMs? But yeah the only reason I'd ever bold Mathias98 is out of frustration for geerat not being in the aaa slot, but I shan't do that. (edit: stresh notified me that Matthew 18:7 is actually camomons god, however geerat is still op)
USUM STABmons - Chloe vs kuyukihime - Aight I'll give france a break, Chloe's trash, go kyuremtime or whatever ur name is
USUM Tier Shift - Dj Breloominati♬ vs Louna - Uhhh, dj breloominati is p good and I should be bolding his name but I believe Louna is a far superior name. Dj Breloominati doesn't really make much sense and Spitfire Arcanine barely does either ngl. But stating that france will win a single week would be fuckin blasphemous so I will bold you anyways my friend.

Europe (Aethernum, Perish Song) - [1] [5] - UK (Hamhamhamham, Willdbeast)

USUM Almost Any Ability - Mark_K vs Racool - Wow this is unfortunate, Mark is the one who copped me for OMPL in which I'm grateful for... but we also finished last place and he upbid the team that won the whole thing. So I'm not super grateful for it, but I'm grateful. Racool hasn't shown any sign of rust despite a few sketchy games in ompl, she finished more than strong. I'd imagine she gets this dub.
USUM Balanced Hackmons - SolarflareRo vs Willdbeast - I had no idea wildbeast even knew how to play pocket monsters, I assumed he was just TI's managing buddy tbh ngl. Being TI's managing buddy still gives you more credibility than SolorflareRo tho so Wildbeast will be catching a W imo tbh ngl
USUM Mix and Mega - MultiAmmiratore vs xavgb - Okay I googled what "ammiratore" meant and I found nothing, it sounds like a word that'd describe how the largest continent can casually pair with Australia for a world cup tournament, anyways stresh will be stresh.
USUM Camomons - Perish Song vs Chazm - Chazm is v nice but I'll have to give this to Perish Song b/c I don't want this to be too one sided. Perish Song might be better at mons too so who really knows since they're both not in their main metas.
USUM STABmons - umbreon098 vs w0rd - maybe if umbreon didnt have the 098 in their name they'd stand a chance, and while w0rd has w0rd on smog, he has "word" on PS so it makes up for the blunder that is the missing o in his name on smog. Anyways I've been using word's stabmons dump as my primary resource and it single handedly outshines the entirety of the STABmons thread so I have to show my respect.
USUM Tier Shift - Elgino10 vs Cam - Cam is p good, I'm sure he'd do well in tier shift, I've seen elgino around and he seems nice but Cam I believe is superior.

Betathunder fight me pussy

Anyways I hope you all enjoyed these but if you didn't I really don't care :3, pls donut be angry with me I can barely comprehend the complexity of times tables, there is nothing to be upset with

Last edited:
here's some predicts to lighten up the thread, aiming for the perfect

Canada (Jrdn, Pigeons) - [3] [3] - US South (In The Hills, Quantum Tesseract)
USUM Almost Any Ability - itsKimbo vs Catalystic - While cata is the better player, kimbo actually ladders and has put in some effort into learning this meta as well as he can. Add in big bro support and motivation and you have a recipe for success.
USUM Balanced Hackmons - GL Volkner vs PinkDragonTamer - have a strong feeling about this one.
USUM Mix and Mega - Pigeons vs Skysolo - Pigeons' shown to understand current mnm to a great level and i will expect nothing but a really solid team coming from him, the only way I see skysolo taking this is by surprising pige with outdated tech or simply cting the stall if he brings it lul.
USUM Camomons - Jrdn vs In The Hills - ITH is camos TL and is probably been working on his teams for a while now in prep for this tour so I'm sure he'll put up a good fight, however, i just can't shake the feeling jrdn's experience will speak louder and take the W here.
USUM STABmons - Funbot28 vs aesf - stabmons isn't too hard to learn nor too hard to innovate so experience is nearly null in this matchup, whoever preps better definitely wins, and i not only think aesf is the better player he also has the better support for this meta.
USUM Tier Shift - EviGaro vs Quantum Tesseract - TS is PU on steroids and some nerfed upper tiers so Evi will find her footing in this meta as it won't be too far from what she's used to, there are however certain nuances and not so obvious threats and counters to more common threats that i trust qt to catch on.

Asia Pacific (The Immortal, Sylveon.) - [3] [3] - France (Matiss98, LaBalladeDesCieux)
USUM Almost Any Ability - The Immortal vs LaBalladeDesCieux - Ti has some aaa experience, underrated playing skills and geerat to help him but LBDC is probably the better player who will take the win on an even matchup which shouldnt be too hard to achieve.
USUM Balanced Hackmons - Chessking345 vs Naoki-sama - while ti is underrated chessking is def overrated, has close to zero support in a meta that really needs it to succeed in team tours, his past wins that ive watched weren't really that impressive and his opponent is good enough to capitalize on this.
USUM Mix and Mega - TectonicDestroyer vs damflame 3 - go td! uwu. i dont see this going any other way unless TD chokes on a bad matchup.
USUM Camomons - Sylveon. vs Matiss98 - This one is actually super interesting, matiss is a camos god who doesn't lose BO3s so geerat has to go for the bo1 here and try to claim the W with good prep mixed in with some cheese to have a good shot, but i still gotta give it to the frenchman here.
USUM STABmons - Chloe vs kuyukihime - inb4 stabs ez to learn and ez to tech, chloe will catch on quickly and take this game with ease.
USUM Tier Shift - Dj Breloominati♬ vs Louna - DJ plays ZU and i dont really know who louna is so i have to take the favorites here.

US West (rozes, lax) - [2] [4] - US Northeast (power, regirock)
USUM Almost Any Ability - ima vs Sabella - kind of a no brainer, sab builds well and plays better
USUM Balanced Hackmons - jasprose vs sugarhigh - by recent performance i'd have to go with sugarhigh here but i honestly dont really know how to judge these bh matchups so i'll just go with jasp because anaconja's good support.
USUM Mix and Mega - Anaconja (sub 1) vs Andyboy - Andy's one of the greats rn and i dont see that changing, there's close to no mnm experience in the whole west team so i can only see andy winning here.
USUM Camomons - rozes vs Highlord - this is a nice-ass matchup to watch, if this was stabmons i'd have to give it to the better player rozes but in camos, highlord's experience will prevail and he'll take this one on a fun match.
USUM STABmons - vivalospride vs Betathunder - sucks for beta that he mains a tier where upsets are likely to happen so im trusting viv to find something fun to build around that beta might not have direct answers to. Unless it's something checked by rotom, if viv doesnt build around sets/core easily checked by rotom he'll be fine.
USUM Tier Shift - Eien vs Megazard - Another highlight game, Eien learns quickly but doesnt have support while Megazard is PUTL so i think he's goat this.

some fun predicts

USUM Almost Any Ability - Mark_K vs Racool - racool ,going to match up fish as usual, i can just see markk winning since all u need to do is outplay racool
USUM Balanced Hackmons - SolarflareRo vs Willdbeast - im willing to believe, will has the will to overcome this tough match even though solarflare's will isnt as strong as will's will im sure will's will will be enough to get him the W
USUM Mix and Mega - MultiAmmiratore vs xavgb - sadly multi is washed up thats all there is to it
USUM Camomons - Perish Song vs Chazm - this is pretty easy, ps has no experience in the meta anyway and washed up, it should be pretty one sided
USUM STABmons - umbreon098 vs w0rd - even though word is washed, he should win against this random
USUM Tier Shift - Elgino10 vs Cam - should take this

USUM Almost Any Ability - itsKimbo vs Catalystic - dunno if i could bet on someone who barely survived through ompl plus catalystic is pretty washed so i guess it evens out
USUM Balanced Hackmons - GL Volkner vs PinkDragonTamer - L
USUM Mix and Mega - Pigeons vs Skysolo - bird man is best man
USUM Camomons - Jrdn vs In The Hills - i guess jrdn should win, in the hills is hella washed and needs some prep to win
USUM STABmons - Funbot28 vs aesf - odd match up aesf should take this
USUM Tier Shift - EviGaro vs Quantum Tesseract - been calling alot of people washed but QT is REALLY fucking washed up plus hes up against the greatest ts player out here.

USUM Almost Any Ability - The Immortal vs LaBalladeDesCieux - /roomban LaBalladeDesCieux
USUM Balanced Hackmons - Chessking345 vs Naoki-sama- i like you more
USUM Mix and Mega - TectonicDestroyer vs damflame 3- both players are pretty meh could go either way
USUM Camomons - Sylveon. vs Matiss98 - uwu
USUM STABmons - Chloe vs kuyukihime - uwu
USUM Tier Shift - Dj Breloominati♬ vs Louna- LOL

USUM Almost Any Ability - ima vs Sabella - better player honestly
USUM Balanced Hackmons - jasprose vs sugarhigh - SHIT, i love both of u too much
USUM Mix and Mega - Anaconja (sub 1) vs Andyboy - LOL, this is so free, EVERYTIME THEY PLAY ANDY GETS FUCKING DESTROYED, EVERYTURN HE GETS OUTPLAYED, EVERYTHING JUST GOES IN HIS FAVOR, imagine starting the week 1-0 and the week isnt even up.
USUM Camomons - rozes vs Highlord - dunno how i can see highlord losing, even though he sucks ass.
USUM STABmons - vivalospride vs Betathunder - better player, better user and hes not gay so gg
USUM Tier Shift - Eien vs Megazard- pu > monotype, thats really it folks

:blobnom:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)