World Cup: South Africa 2010 - Paul and Spain win!

A fiffa admin (or something like that) said bad calls tend to be good for the world cup cause it causes more people talk about it .......hmmm maybe that's why. They took away Americas goal to get us to talk about soccer Lol

Edit:I don't like soccer cause it tends to contain more acting Than anything else (bar running)

It's become obvious over the course of this World Cup that the current referee system just isn't working anymore. Hopefully we'll get a new one. The new head referee dude is supposedly a great supporter of using cameras for calling goals etc.

^ So true. They need to add cameras in the system for calling goals as well as controversial dives/fouls. That would set things straight with the goals but I have a feeling a lot more people would be sent off in the future for fouls and diving, considering replays clearly show how foolish players look when they dive. ;p

Well, that would be the natural evolution of the game. The players evolved, the ball evolved, the keepers evolved (a lot). It's not to be expected that a lone referee, older than all the players on the pitch, should be able to keep up with the new improved speed of the game, running during 90 minutes, and always keeping a good position to be able to see if that ball touched the hand of the player or not, and if the player dived or was hit.

FIFA took to long to notice the blatant direction refereeing should be going to. Cameras would only end the BAD discussions about soccer. We wouldn't have all that discussion about "team A lost because of the referee, damn. If only that offside wasn't called incorrectly". Who likes to be on the receiving end of a referee error (a real one, not one made up to explain a defeat)?

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
This same problem was addressed by the NHL. I feel the addition of one more referee would work wonders, because then both refs could see the same play from opposite angles. One might think it's a foul, but the other one could tell him, "No way, that asshole flopped."

The fact that the referee stays at 1 major man is important. Bringing in a 2nd guy would help somewhat but then things such as who's word counts more could be brought up. Example is if one referee sees a dive and wants to pull out a card but the referee who is farther away says it was a legit foul, there's dispute. Let's say the 2nd referee was right, then someone got carded for no reason. This happens already with one referee, and having more referees on the pitch would hinder things I believe. I think we should stick to one man making decisions and just using technology for controversial plays.

The fact that the referee stays at 1 major man is important. Bringing in a 2nd guy would help somewhat but then things such as who's word counts more could be brought up. Example is if one referee sees a dive and wants to pull out a card but the referee who is farther away says it was a legit foul, there's dispute. Let's say the 2nd referee was right, then someone got carded for no reason. This happens already with one referee, and having more referees on the pitch would hinder things I believe. I think we should stick to one man making decisions and just using technology for controversial plays.
^ what he said. Adding one ref would just add more controversy. What if one team payed one of the referees, and the other was paid by the other team? That would make for a great game. lol

^ LMAO

That would be so jokes. During a tackle one guy gets carded for a vicious challenge by referee #1 and the other guy would get carded for diving by referee #2. Just joking but LOL :P.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Agreeing mostly with the final sentence. Introducing cameras and such would improve the quality of the calls yes, but it would also drastically slow down the pace of the game over its course. Right now the clock does not stop period unless an extremely prolonged injury occurs. If we had to stop to review questionable plays every few minutes, we'd be looking at large amounts of time being added to the end of halves, or even a completely new time system involving actual stoppages of the clock instead of added time at the end. This, to the dismay of most of us, would open the door for advertisers and the like to insert commercial breaks into broadcasted games, turning what is normally a two hour affair into an exhausting three or four hour production. It's bad enough we are smothered with commercials in every other mainstream sport we watch on TV, I don't want to see Soccer go that direction too.

I just wish we could implement some kind of system that allows the use of technology to aid the referees but does not require time to stop and commercials to be aired. Alas I don't see how that could be accomplished.

Spain and Netherlands were equal. Netherlands were screwed: there should've been given a corner and the goal was offside.

This proves: Fuck Blatter.

^ True. :P

If technology is implemented it would cause most players to not be diving excessively but I can still see players being over dramatic about little clips off the opponents cleats and tackles that were legit.

I'm not going to deny that the Netherlands did an absolute AMAZING job at holding their own against Spain defensively as we saw for basically the whole game (mostly the first half into the 60-75 minute mark) which caused Spain to panic because they're so used to having space, or manually creating it through their midfield. However, the Netherlands kept them out for nearly the whole game but I still believe Spain deserved it. Despite the 2 major chances by Robben, the Netherlands weren't exactly creating. Spain deserved the win because they played like they wanted it more.

But also, wouldn't it have been hilarious if the guy that cleared the ball because of an injury went into Casillas' net. If you don't know what happened, a player was injured so they kicked the ball out of play in the Netherlands half. After he was okay, a Netherlands player kicked the ball to Casillas' net in an attempt to just clear the ball for a goal kick. What controversy would have happened if he had scored?

I just wish we could implement some kind of system that allows the use of technology to aid the referees but does not require time to stop and commercials to be aired. Alas I don't see how that could be accomplished.
The technology doesn't have to be consulted every time. You could allow the coach or captain of a team to consult the technology only a limited amount of times for a half or a match. It introduces a new problem (stalling near the end of the match), though, but I think it's a better alternative. Or allow players to call for a video repreat, but then if it turns out they were wrong, give them worse punishment (like, instead of a warning the guy gets a yellow or whatever).

But really, just the referee having the OPTION to watch the repeat (with or without slowdown) would be great.

Spain and Netherlands were equal. Netherlands were screwed: there should've been given a corner and the goal was offside.

This proves: Fuck Blatter.
The goal was not offside. Show me the offside, a picture or a video showing exactly where do you see offside there.

Anyway, there are two major options for that problem, WaterBomb:

1) Adding that sponsor time would seriously add more income to soccer. Lot's of viewers would not enjoy it, neither would I. But the investors would, and it could do a little good to soccer, specially in countries where it doesn't find much broadcast because of the low margin for sponsors during the transmissions. USA comes to mind for that.

2) Using an approach closer to the Tennis approach, used in Grand Slams on the central court: challenges. Each team could use a few (3?) challenges per game, called by the coach. It would be replayed after the ball went out of play (or, if it was a goal that was conceeded, right after the goal). If the challenger was right to call it, it wouldn't be subtracted from the number of challenges they still had. If it was wrong, that's it. Play continues with the correct decision of the referee based on the challenge.

The rule would just need to be applied, whatever the solution they decide to go for. If the referee issued a Penalty Kick, to find out by a challenge that the forward dived, he would have to issue a yellow card. If the referee had called for a penalty, and gave a yellow card to the defender, he would have to take that card back.

THAT, I believe, would be the only solution so that the errors from referees stopped affecting the game so much, without pausing it from 5 to 5 minutes just to check a replay.

There is also the possibility of one extra referee outside of the field, just watching the replays and giving information to the referee, but the replay would have to be totally controled by him, so that he could pause, review and make a decision in a split second.

But also, wouldn't it have been hilarious if the guy that cleared the ball because of an injury went into Casillas' net. If you don't know what happened, a player was injured so they kicked the ball out of play in the Netherlands half. After he was okay, a Netherlands player kicked the ball to Casillas' net in an attempt to just clear the ball for a goal kick. What controversy would have happened if he had scored?
That actually happened once in a match. The player kicked the ball just to return the fair play. And the ball went right at the angle of the other team. But they returned the fair play by letting the other team dribble past them and score. They just stayed there, watching.

Equal? I only saw one team trying to play with a BALL an another trying to break LEGS

And yes, Spanish players are divers, of course:

And that's only the 1st half.
Van Bommel and De Jong shouldn't have played the 2nd half..

It pains me to say this, but Spain won this match deserverd. Spain had the upper hand in the match, altough not by much and it could've gone either way. Netherlands got away with a lot of nasty fouls and I was amazed that Van Bommel en De Jong did not get sent off. Robben should have made those two major chances alone before Casillas.

Congratulations Spain.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm really glad that Spain won, but this:

was absolutely ridiculous, particularly the second picture. Seriously, I wish there was some way that the referee would be able to consult the replay. They're already taping basically every play, and therefore have access to them to replay. It certainly couldnt hurt, and even if the referee only glanced at the replay, it could mean the difference between a red card and a yellow card (i.e. the second picture where the guy basically karate kicks the Spainish player)

I fail to see how not adding just one additional ref wouldn't alleviate some additional issues. Hell, why not add even 2 more assistant refs for better calls for offsides, etc.?

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
it probably was a straight out red card, I mean that karate kick shouldve been red and we were lucky to not get a red card for that. It reminded me a bit to much of the way Germany used to play football, and what we basically did is swap styles with the germans who showed great football (like we did in the EC 2008).

Personally for the referee, yeah, webb wasnt the best, and I wouldve rather eseen that Jap as the referee (he was 4th linesman again in this match iirc) or possibly den Bleeckere, but I guess hed be favouring the dutch to much since he's from belgium, but damn he didnt take no shit from diving people.

but yeah, hopefuly well get a system like the NFL's them trainer challenges is something ive been pleading for for a while because these kinds of matches were, in hindsight, not fun to watch. tbh for me the best match or at least minutes personally was the last 20 minutes of Slovakia - Italy, now that was tense :P

also

MORTALLLL KOMBATTTTT

De Jong should have gotten a Red card yes, but so did Iniesta (when he punched Van Bommel) and Puyol (tackled Robben (if only Robben fell there Puyol would have gotten his second card and a penalty for the Netherlands)).

Also where do you think the Spanish got their inspiration. Louis van Gaal, Johan Cruyf, ... they are all Dutch. So the Netherlands is victorious as well.

But again, the better team won.

I'm still proud of my team to making it to the finals.. and its kind of ironic.. Robben goes down all the time and exaggerates every touch on him.. but when theres a legit foul that can win them the game.. he stays up.. LIKE A MAN.. and goes for glory.

ilu.

He WANTED to play, that's why he kicked a bottle of water. He was angry for not being there, playing. So yeah, it's his fault for asking to play so much if he wasn't ready.

Yes, Xabi Alonso is a player less creative than Fabregas, and Fab played really well, although he should've put the game to rest when he had the chance to score or pass to Villa at his side, and he missed. But he completely corrected that giving Iniesta the assist to the goal.
wasnt that offside?

...Everebody was Kung fu fightning....

I mean this looks exactly like a Muay Thai Battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)