Role Playing World's Largest Dungeon - Day 1

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Lightwolf

You find yourself on trial with a number of other capable individuals. You protest your innocence, whether that is true or not, but your pleas fall on deaf ears. Since you are an able fighter, the judge comes up with an unusual punishment.

The wererat Longtail has been massing a small army of orcs, kobolds, and troglodytes. Local guards followed him into a nearby lair, but never came out. If you can kill Longtail and escape, you will be pardoned for your crimes. However neither Longtail, the judge, nor you know just how cruel and an unusual a punishment this is. For this is no simple monster lair...

This is the World's Largest Dungeon.

Format
This will be Play by Post. This will not take the kind of dedication that other current PF games take, you will never be called to play on IRC or the like. However you should be able to respond in a timely manner when it's your turn to post.

We will have 4-6 players. If more people are interested, there will be a waiting list and new players will swap in for dead/inactive ones.

Rules
This is Pathfinder with a 15 point buy.
You may not teleport out of the dungeon, in fact Dimension Door only works in line of sight.
Effects that pass through walls are also largely limited in use.
Any class or race is allowed, though some are not very good (see below).
Carrying capacity and lighting rules WILL be enforced.

I will require an up to date spreadsheet for you characters.
There will be a great number of rolls that I'll be making for you just to expedite things. If you know you are going to be making a roll, you can make it yourself when you post.

Suggestions
Food, water, light, and rest are TREASURES.

There are ample rooms that are safe to rest in, by which I mean you'll get attacked only once in the night and not ten times. I won't tell you which rooms these are, you'll have to use some logic here.

This isn't like an AP where you're looking for a rich story experience and you want to explore thoroughly so you don't miss nuggets of information. You want to get out, and the dungeon is very non-linear. Keep a focus on moving forward.

However make sure you don't get yourself killed by getting in over your head. WLD is rich with dangers that can be bypassed methodically and cautiously. Be specific with your exploration as much as possible, and put serious thought into every combat encounter (don't fall into "we've rolled initiative, we should fight to the death").

Skills the book recommends;
Disable Device (HANDS DOWN MOST IMPORTANT)
Perception
Acrobatics
Diplomacy
Heal
Stealth
Intimidate
Linguistics (Undercommon, Draconic, Goblin, and Celestial are good starts)
Spellcraft
Survival
Swim

Lesser but OK skills;
Handle Animal
Sense Motive
Use Magic Device
Craft (blacksmith) for breaking weapons

It says nothing about Knowledges but I guess they'd be as good as always?

Some classes have unique disadvantages here;
Anything with a spellbook will not be able to simply buy scrolls in order to learn an unlimited number of spells.
Druids and Rangers will find a definite lack of nature.
Druids, Cavaliers, Rangers, and Summoners will have extreme difficulties where Large pets are concerned.
Gunslinger? Let's just avoid this.

Finally, the goal is survival. Or at least to survive as long as possible. We probably won't finish this! So let's just do our best and have a little fun a long the way. Let's see how far Smogon can get.

Last edited:

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Interested although I expect there will be a lot more skilled players than me in this, which might give smogon a better shot at going further.

My sheet is ready, you can find it here.

I will take Knowledge(Nature), Perception w. Darkvision 60ft, Climb, Acrobatics and Swim. (However if anyone takes Ninja Tricks they will be better climbers due to climb speed.) I will use heavy armors and 2-handed weapons. I'll be a beefy tank/damage Barbarian. I won't have Stealth and traded Trap Sense for heavy armor proficiency via archetype so someone else should take the leading scout position.

(My sheet hasn't been approved yet.)

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
The player list is
Agape
Lightwolf
McRanger97
StarmanXL
theangryscientist
UllarWarlord

Sub list is
ginganinja
aXl

Please feel free to request subs if you haven't yet

LonelyNess make sure you hang out in #flamel, people there can help you make a level 1 character.

There is no starting gold or equipment. I want sheets by the end of the week.

Last edited:
I'll request a Sub spot, this sounds like it'll be more up my alley than the existing PF forum formats. Quick question, are the PCs going to be gaining levels in this dungeon, or should we get comfortable with level 1's? If levels are a thing here, would subs be coming in at level 1 or at an even level with the other PCs? These are probably stupid questions but w/e, I'm new to forum RPs so yeah.

Edit: Awesome.

Last edited:
Character sheet here

Gist of it is is that I'm your basic skill monkey. Perception, stealth, disabling traps, linguistics. I plan on using my trapmaking skills to secure the places we sleep and help with hunting, but I'm pretty much garbage at combat so don't expect me to be anywhere near the front line.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Starting now

Day 1, 10:00 AM

As you are forced to climb the mountain, rocks and debris slow your ascent. Numerous tracks of different creatures ascend the hillside. The climb levels off as you get closer to the cave mouth. You see a man the size of a galleon laying n the ground at the cave opening. As you get closer, you can see that death has taken him. Despite his obviously decomposed state, the man does not exude an odor of decay. There are no signs of struggle. Who was he, and how did he die?

He still wears a huge chain shirt and has a gargantuan halberd lying by his side. Both appear extremely valuable, but too difficult for anyone to loot as of yet. Obviously they'd be of no use to you right now. Hundreds of pounds worth of notes and scribbles are strewn about the area, written in an ancient language. They must have been rooted through by individuals looking for something of more value. It stands to reason that any gold are gems are no longer on the corpse.

Beyond the body of the man is a single cave that winds down into the earth. The cave is low and shallow, obviously dug by small crude hands. Many footprints mark the dirt, and debris litters every corner. In the back of the cave, a narrow tunnel, poorly lit, leads deeper. The tunnel winds into the mountain, it's ceiling some 6 ft. high and 5 ft. wide at the widest. After about 100 ft. or so, the tunnel opens into a larger room, cut from stone and built, rather than dug. It is obvious something lives here.

You notice two iron doors, one to your side and the other in front of you. Otherwise there are no features of interest in the stone. Absolutely featureless, devoid of markings, symbols, or even any sign of use. A guard directs the first of you to place your hand on one iron door; it gently slides inward and remains open. The edge disappears into a blackness that lies just beyond. Peering cautiously into the darkness for signs of movement, you see nothing. Even your ears can only detect the breathing of your fellow prisoners. The dark space reveals nothing of what lies beyond.

The first of you who steps beyond the door, or sticks a hand or head through, finds themselves stuck. You can move forward, but not back out. No amount of pulling returns movement through the barrier, and you wisely avoid enough force to break or sever a limb. After some prodding by the guards you all enter in turn, and the door shuts behind you. Without the torches of the guards, all is now completely black.

Darkvision (players with this feature see the following)
You look around, taking in the features of what appears to be a large room. Your darkvision does not pierce it entirely from where you are standing. Two iron doors, one straight ahead of you and the other to its side, are the only things that break up the unending mass of worked stone.

The chill and damp air clings to your body, and you are not the only ones feeling it judging by the cough coming out of the darkness.

Three humanoids sit huddled together in the northeast corner of the room, one of them trying to stifle a cough. These barbaric humanoids bears ragged equipment and armor in sullen colors. They have coarse body hair and a stooped posture like some primitive man but with a grayish-green skin tone and bestial facial features beneath a black hood. Burning red eyes peer below a low, sloping brow, just above a flattened nose, and prominent tusk-like teeth. They look extremely haggard with deep bags over their scar-marked faces, and an ashen paleness, warning of their weakening state.

Knowledge Local Severian
This primitive looking creature is an orc, one of the most prolific and aggressive of the humanoid races. Orcs speak their own language, and the more intelligent of their kind often learn Goblin or Giant.

Knowledge Local Altezz (plus above)
Orcs are considerably stronger than the average human, though this is countered by a general lack of the more cerebral traits. A warlike people who believe that to survive they must conquer as much territory as they can, they are often at odds with those they encounter (including other tribes of their own kind) and are a generally hated race for this reason. Their warlike culture does however mean that all of their kind are well trained in the use of weaponry, and many prefer large, two-handed weapons that deal as much damage as quickly as possible.

Closer to where you entered lies a pile of bodies. They are dressed in the same way as the guards who led you here, and still appear to retain their equipment.

Lonelyness is Red
TAS is Orange
Starman is Yellow
McRanger is Green
Agape is Blue
Lightwolf is Purple
LonelyNess finish your sheet asap
MrcRanger97 add your race to your sheet please

You may now begin playing.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
The torch illuminates the immediate area, revealing the new doors, but does not cast enough light to reach the source of the cough (actually neither does the darkvision, I'll double check from now on).

Damnable humans. Damnable trials. And now damnable orcs, too. As if it wasn't bad enough that he has to be stuck with these scraggly half-wits in this gods-forsaken dungeon, Altezz thinks. He mutters swears under his breath in Draconic. This is no place for a kobold of his stature. You kill one random traveler with a giant contraption of poisoned blades and suddenly you're some sort of damnable monster. Feh.

Still, those orcs will definitely pose a problem; they've always been about smashing things, after all. So to that end, he wastes no time scurrying over the bodies to find what he can salvage, while he whispers in common in a hushed but urgent voice, "I would hope you would all have the sense to not stand around gawking like fascinated animals. Hurry up and get what you can off of these bodies!"

23 Perception to search for goodies on the body, 23 stealth to not attract attention while doing so.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
The bodies are all human, and seemed to have been slashed to death. Blood covers poorly tailored soldier's uniforms (x6, 5 lb.), and loose fitting sets of chain shirt (x3, 25 lb.) and chainmail (x3, 40 lb.). All of this is so poorly tailored that they could be easily made to fit a small person, at the expense of looking ridiculous. Each guard carried a longsword (x6, 4 lb.) and a dagger (1 lb.). For small persons, these are effectively bastard swords and short swords respectively. Each also carried a light crossbow (x6, 4 lb.) which makes for a heavy crossbow for a small person. Unfortunately, you only find 10 crossbow bolts between them (1 lb.). Otherwise between them you find four torches (1 lb.), a compass (1/2 lb.), flint and steel (0 lb.), two spell component pouches (2 lb.), six trail rations (1 lb.), two empty waterskins (4 lb.), two empty sacks (1/2 lb.), two wooden holy symbols to no particular god (0 lb.), all spread across six common backpacks (2 lb.).

"Oh, blast it. Corpses already? My dear friends, it seems that this place is fouler and the initial barrier of darkness more grim that I fathomed in prior."

Bleshet snickers for a bit in a hyena-like way. "huehuehuehuehue... ...Let us help ourselves, before grim issues arise."

Taking one backpack, one sack, one light crossbow and a single bolt, one longsword, soldier's uniform and a chainmail. The sword is picked up before equipping anything else.

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Stahl silently walks over and just picks of the stuff he needs not paying much attention to anything else

Taking one backpack, one sack, one light crossbow and a single bolt, one longsword, soldier's uniform and a chainmail. The sword is picked up before equipping anything else.

Me? Copy Agape's list? Never!

Slim pickings, it seems, and most of the equipment is too large for the kobold. Still, it will have to do for now. Altezz quickly snags a dagger, a crossbow, 5 bolts, a backpack, a trail ration, and the flint and steel. It takes a lot to suppress his urge to take more--he deserves the food more than these simpletons--but as it is, he knows he won't survive on his own so it's in his best interest that his fellow prisoners stay alive. For now.

Satisfied, he shoulders his backpack and arms himself with the crossbow, notching a bolt. "Now then," he whispers in common, "Those orcs over there probably killed these saps before us, but they sound sick. I suggest we do not befall the same fate."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)