Worst Nuzlocke Death

I have only ever lost one Pokemon I cared about in a Nuzlocke, and that was my Hasty female Meowth "Bounty" in a FireRed run. I sent her out to take down Gamer Darian's Growlithe with her Water Pulse, and the Growlithe ate her. Just absolutely tore her apart. It was no contest. It was so traumatizing that I just put her in my box and pretended that I had sent her home to live with my mom in Pallet Town since she was the weakest 'mon on my team and had been struggling to keep up for a while. That Pickup and Pay Day, tho. I was so rich early game.

I chained a Hasty female shiny Meowth in Platinum and named it "Bounty" in her memory. Now shiny Bounty is Lvl. 100 and makes it rain using Pay Day & holding an Amulet Coin. Dolla dolla bills, 'yall.

Last edited:
Was playing Storm Silver a while back and found myself facing a Swimmer near Olivine. She sent out a Dewgong and I had my trusty partner Lanturn in front.

Now, some backstory. The young Chinchou had been a surprising addition from New Bark Town, which I didn't even know existed there. It saved my bacon a ton on route trash and held a valuable immunity in Volt Absorb. It was honestly my favorite Pokemon on my team just because I expected so little from it when I first nabbed it but it surprised me over and over again.

The battle is seared into my memory.
"Hah, what're you going to do to me? I resist your attacks and can shut you down with thunderbolts! Easy XP."

"Dewgong used Sheer Cold!"

"Lanturn took calamitous damage and fainted!"

Ripped my soul right out of me.

Lost my Farfetch'd on the switch-in on a double battle on Route 15 because I sent it in weakened. In my defense, though, my underlevelled Gourgeist was dead if I took that turn to heal.

RIP Silver. Blew through three of the first four gyms carrying the team on its back. Hit four Pokémon-Amie hearts right before dying, too, which was even more heart-wrenching. MVP of the entire team.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Was playing Pokémon Prism while tired and accidentally lost my Gliscor to Fury Cutter shenanigans by healing up repeatedly when I could've just killed it with Wing Attack... I liked that Gliscor too, which made the realization that I could've killed the Scyther even worse...

..................................In White 2,,,,,Fighting Iris

killed my excadrill, Bannete and Starmie

Omega Ruby..........My crobat

Omega Ruby: I caught Tree the Tropius on Route 19, and immediately put it on my team. It saved my entire team during the battle with Wallace, and it grew some 10 levels while I was exploring the water routes.
First time on Victory Road:
A wild Medicham appeared!
(me, thinking it's no sweat) Go, Tree!
Use Air Slash!
Gets the Medicham to red
Medicham used Reversal! It's a critical hit!
NOOOOO! TREE!

I am doing a White 2 Nuzlocke, my 2nd and more bloody than I could ever imagine. Recon the Trapinch died to a crit Take Down from Elesa's Flaaffy, and so my entire plan to beat that gym went astray. I lost 3 more Pokemon to that gym.

Last edited:

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
One of my friends once lost a nuzlocke to a shiny wild pokemon. Not an exact death, but quite crushing.

Pokémon Red, Whole team got wiped out by Lance and Blue. Except trusty Kabutops. Barely wins against Alakazam, then proceeds to sweep Blues team. Blastoise appears, Kabutops gets in two slashes, both critical hits. We’re one hit away from the completion of hours upon hours of gameplay. “Blastoise uses Hydro Pump!” “It’s a critical hit!” Goodbye innocence. If you have experienced this type of trauma in any circle of your life, I am so sorry for you. If you need help I will be here to cry with you. Peace out son.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Not a story about me specifically, but i wanted to share it knowing how much impact this had on this person.

I've got a really good friend of mine who really likes Dunsparce. A semi-little while ago, they tried their hand at an XY nuzlocke. Can't remember the version. Anyway, they got a Dunsparce as their encounter on... I believe it's the route east of the Santalune Gym, and they caught it and named it Saturn. I don't know why that name was chosen, but eh, it's not like this person will ever see me typing this story anyway. Now, XY is a very easy Pokémon game. How could one not agree with this? Nonetheless, they impressively took this Dunsparce all the way through the game up until the place where you go catch the Legendary of your version. If their report is accurate, there was a Team Flare Admin they battled that had a Swalot. As it turns out, the Swalot had managed to take it down after all the time it had been alive.

The story, however, doesn't end there. Reports of strange things happening to specific people in specific games and hobbies have always fascinated me. I won't force my worldviews here on anyone, but for some reason I feel like Saturn the Dunsparce's eventual death was inevitable and predestined. This is because for the rest of the Nuzlocke, not only did they not lose a single Pokémon afterward (again, assuming I got the full story), but this friend of mine reported having a crazy streak of good luck across all of the Pokemon franchise afterward. Their Pokémon in other playthroughs and Nuzlockes were scoring great stats and IVs, critical hits for days in numerous important battles, and even their Shiny Hunting luck tneded to be much, MUCH better anytime the topic of Saturn was mentioned between us after its death.

I lead with my Quilladin against Grant in X because I didn't know what he (she?) would lead with.

Amaura.

Ok no problem, Rollout should KO.

Not even 1/4.

Take Down. Bye bye Louie.

I really wanted to use Chesnaught.

Then in Reflection Cave, I sent my Shiny Ducklett out (it was my Rt 7 encounter), I use Bubblebeam on a Roggenrola, and then it has Sturdy and kills with Rock Blast.

HmmmTank

Banned deucer.
I was playing Black 2, and I caught this sandile at the desert part north of the city. I name him Stalin, and he got one-shotted by some dumb dwebble on the same route. I wanted crookodile, and I DIDN'T GET IT!

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
I was working on a Deathless Hardcore Emerald run. The rules were no items at all, set battle, no deaths, all that good stuff. I had managed to plan out the entire run and everything went smoothly. I made my way through most of the game with few issues (I had to cheese Wattson with Shedinja) thanks to Pelipper and Gyarados being absolutely ridiculous in Emerald.

I get to the Elite Four and have everything planned out. Magneton and Exploud make short work of Sidney. Sharpedo sweeps through Phoebe with some help of Taunt for shutting down her horseshit first Dusclops. I used Defense Curl + Rollout Walrein for Glacia. DD Gyarados for Drake. When I get to Wallace, the plan was to have Magenton one-shot Wailord, bait in Whiscash, go to Sceptile, set up Substitute and Double Team, and sweep with Leaf Blade. It was all going according to plan, but on the switch Whiscash crit me with Earthquake. My Sceptile had a Gentle nature, so it ended up having to get fewer Double Team boosts than I wanted before I needed to Giga Drain my health back. In comes Tentacruel, and I manage to take it down with only +2 Evasion thanks to extremely good luck. But when his Milotic comes in, I miss the KO with Leaf Blade and Wallace hits a critical Ice Beam :psycry: I was so close to completing the run, I will revisit Emerald again someday but I was pretty much devastated for the rest of the day.

I fucking hate Wallace's Milotic. Just came here to rant. Doing a hardcore nuzlocke, no items, random typings, abilities and move sets. The usual shit. Didnt realise until I got to it that 5 out 6 of my mons were weak to ice. Enter Milotic the ice psychic type. Swept with calm mind ice beam. The other pokemon, my water absol, was done by Weeviles thunder. Soooooo pissed

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
I fucking hate Wallace's Milotic. Just came here to rant. Doing a hardcore nuzlocke, no items, random typings, abilities and move sets. The usual shit. Didnt realise until I got to it that 5 out 6 of my mons were weak to ice. Enter Milotic the ice psychic type. Swept with calm mind ice beam. The other pokemon, my water absol, was done by Weeviles thunder. Soooooo pissed
I never do nuzlocke run on randomized stuff for a reason. Something in somewhere will be one who will be a major roadblock if not a complete wipeout.

Here is an advice next time you make a randomized run; avoid stacking weaknesses like having three or more Pokémon weak to the same type. Covering as much type as possible is a way to be better prepared against potential threats.

On my first nuzlocke attempted I got sweeper by Viola cause I didn't want to actually train my stuff

On second my Flabebe died after I fought a groundskeeper dude or something, like 3 minutes after I caught it.

Haven't tried any since

Honestly there are two stand-outs for me.

Noble sacrifice:
First one was a Fire Red nuzlocke. I was nearly at the end--team was in real bad shape after the E4. I had started with Wigglytuff, Fearow, Charizard, Primape, Nidoqueen, and Raichu. Not great but some mons--fearow and primeape in particular--had been swapped in from the PC as they were "extras" from routes where I had caught meh mons I didn't intend to use unless I had to. This particular run had been absolutely brutal for deaths somehow--I wasn't playing especially poorly as far as I knew, but crits and general unluckiness plagued the run from the outset and I had had to replace every mon but Ace the charizard and BabyGirl the wigglytuff basically twice over.

Going into D1cks' room (funny and original) I was prepared for failure. Lance had run a train on my team. We were looking at:

Ace (charizard) - ~80% HP
BabyGirl (wigglytuff) - ~50% HP
Snipe (fearow) - paralyzed, ~30% HP
Crash (primeape) - RIP
Victoria (nidoqueen) - ~60% HP
Blitz (raichu) - healthy

Blitz chewed through pidgeot like it was paper, but was immediately crit and dropped to sub-20% by zam. Got the KO and then I realized I was almost certainly going to lose SOMETHING to rhydon if I switched, but I needed Blitz for blastoise. I said my goodbyes to Snipe, and sent it in. KO'd by rhydon that turn.

For as useless as early route birds tend to be, Snipe had served me shockingly well. A combo of focus energy and drill peck had allowed it to deal clutch crit after clutch crit to keep me barely ahead of the game during this cursed-ass run. Snipe would be remembered fondly.

Snipe (fearow) - RIP
Crash (primeape) - RIP
Victoria (nidoqueen) - ~60% HP
Blitz (raichu) - ~10% HP

Not a lot of options here. Victoria had surf so I was able to bring her in and avenge Snipe in one blow. Next up: arcanine. I figure it will be fine, she can eat a hit and take it with surf as well--crit. Victoria drops dead. I know despair.

Snipe (fearow) - RIP
Crash (primeape) - RIP
Victoria (nidoqueen) - RIP
Blitz (raichu) - ~10% HP

This is so bad. I've got one hyper potion left because I was playing with some really random, restrictive healing clause I'd read on /vp/, and Victoria was supposed to buy me time to decide if I wanted to use it.

Ace goes in. Trades blows with arcanine. D1cks potions. They go at it again. Both are beat to hell. I'm fairly sure the AI is going to switch to Blastoise if zard is still on the field when arcanine dies, and then I'm fucked. I need Ace for exeggutor. I know what I have to do but I'm cringing internally because this run is about to die at the very end.

Ace swaps out. BabyGirl goes in. Eats one attack--she's in bad, bad shape immediately.

Ace (charizard) - ~10% HP
BabyGirl (wigglytuff) - ~20% HP
Snipe (fearow) - RIP
Crash (primeape) - RIP
Blitz (raichu) - ~10% HP

She's too slow to do much else for me now. Hyper potion is still on reserve because I know Blitz can probably OHKO blastoise. Arcanine gets off one last Espeed, she KO's it. Exeggutor comes out and bops her with giga drain, officially ending her run as one of my longest-surviving mons. Ace comes back out. Light screen goes up and I want to weep because now there's no OHKO coming. I'm doomed.

Ace (charizard) - ~10% HP
BabyGirl (wigglytuff) - RIP
Snipe (fearow) - RIP
Crash (primeape) - RIP
Blitz (raichu) - ~10% HP

Remember how I said I was using a restrictive healing clause? Yeah, PP was also at a premium, here. Ace starts chunking exeggutor with wing attack, dodges a sleep powder. I have a choice to make. I can use the hyper potion on Ace and try to stall through light screen with him, knowing I'm tempting fate leaving Blitz so low and counting on an OHKO, or I can let Ace die a hero and try to have raichu clean up.

I use a hyper potion on Blitz.

Ace dodges an egg bomb. Wing attack leaves exeggutor with the smallest sliver of health, but the time has come at last.

Exeggutor uses egg bomb. It connects.

Ace falls.

Ace (charizard) - RIP
BabyGirl (wigglytuff) - RIP
Snipe (fearow) - RIP
Crash (primeape) - RIP
Blitz (raichu) - healthy

Blitz, refreshed and ready to go, KO's exeggutor easily. One turn of light screen left. Blastoise comes out. Tbolt does a whopping 40% through light screen. Blastoise retaliates with bite, which does a negligible amount of damage. Light screen wears off. I feel an unprecedented sense of relief.

Tbolt lands. Blastoise goes down.

It's over.

Blitz is the sole survivor, every teammate sacrificed to send him through. We become champions at the cost of everyone dear to us.

I have never had a run end on such a dramatic battle before or since.

The second one is not half as long or dramatic.

Attempt #1 of White2 nuzlocke:
By some miracle I catch riolu very, very early on. You know how there's that iiiitty bitty chance to nab one in the grass on literally like the first route? Yeah. I was thrilled. I named him Yamcha.

By the time I get to route 4 he hadn't evolved, so I thought I would give him some extra TLC to try and get an early-game lucario--

--only for him to eat a crit AND a burn from a darumaka's fire fang, dropping from 80% to dead in one turn.

Goodbye, Yamcha. ;^;

That run failed at Ingo and Emmet, so I didn't spend much time having to lament the loss. No riolu on my 2nd attempt, sadly, but at least that run is still happening.

I had a Banette in my last Ultra Sun playthrough. Wound up using it with destiny bond to take down that broke AF Ultra Necrozma. Felt bad that it was premeditated.

Also in my first ever Nuzlocke, my whole party got killed by a litleo trainer battle very early on, IIRC I exclusively had grass and bug types...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)