"Worst Pokémon Ever"

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I don't think I hate many Pokemon in this world, but I think Galarian Meowth is one of the few exceptions. Let's see why:

1. Meowth already had a regional variant in the last gen. Why does it get a second one when there's a lot of other Pokemon that could use a regional variant?

2. Meowth had a Gigantamax Form that was promoted prior to SwSh. It already had another form prior to Galarian Meowth being revealed. It had two alternate forms in total at that time.

What was the whole point of this form? Galarian Meowth line screams extremely unecessary. Even if they wanted to Kanto Pandering, they could have gone with something like Venonat and Seel, Pokemon who could have gotten a makeover. Or if they needed to have a cat, why not give it to the Glameow or Skitty line? Especially the former, since Glameow has only appeared in 4 core RPGs, and there are no Sinnoh Regional Variants, which is another gripe I have with SwSh, with Sinnoh having 0 regional variants while Unova, despite being younger, has 3.
I'd agree with all of this if not for the fact that Perrserker is one of my favourite Pokémon from the last few generations. I just think it shouldn't have been a regional evolution and should've been its own thing; we've waited a long time for proper Viking Pokémon, and them restricting themselves to it having to be a cat is a bit of a missed opportunity. Berserkers fought by channelling animal spirits, and... not one of those spirits is a cat. It's a little bit dissonant; honestly considering one of the main animal spirits were boars, a regional evolution to Piloswine taking a Viking approach would've been awesome.

I'd agree with all of this if not for the fact that Perrserker is one of my favourite Pokémon from the last few generations. I just think it shouldn't have been a regional evolution and should've been its own thing; we've waited a long time for proper Viking Pokémon, and them restricting themselves to it having to be a cat is a bit of a missed opportunity. Berserkers fought by channelling animal spirits, and... not one of those spirits is a cat. It's a little bit dissonant; honestly considering one of the main animal spirits were boars, a regional evolution to Piloswine taking a Viking approach would've been awesome.
The line is a reference to the Norwegian Forest Cat, a cat breed that sailed alongside the Vikings.

I don't know if it's the worst, but Thievul is pretty bad. It's a meh typing, base stats similar to Venomoth, forgettable design, and it's in a generation that already has multiple dark types that are more interesting AND better. Not to mention already having a disposable early-game rodent. Like, I get that not all pokemon can be winners, but given the prominence of this one I would have liked to see it be useable.

p0ip0le

it's a billion lions
I don't know if it's the worst, but Thievul is pretty bad. It's a meh typing, base stats similar to Venomoth, forgettable design, and it's in a generation that already has multiple dark types that are more interesting AND better. Not to mention already having a disposable early-game rodent. Like, I get that not all pokemon can be winners, but given the prominence of this one I would have liked to see it be useable.
it's just walmart liepard.

What disappointed me about Thievul is that Nickit is a cool and downright adorable design; especially when we don't actually have that many fox Pokémon and to my memory haven't had one since Kanto (not counting Alolan Vulpix). So to see one early on in this route was a really nice surprise... until I evolved it and never wanted to see its new design again.

What disappointed me about Thievul is that Nickit is a cool and downright adorable design; especially when we don't actually have that many fox Pokémon and to my memory haven't had one since Kanto (not counting Alolan Vulpix). So to see one early on in this route was a really nice surprise... until I evolved it and never wanted to see its new design again.
...Zorua and Zoroark don't count as foxes?
(I do agree that Thievul is kinda...bleagh compared to the adorable Nickit, though!)

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot about the Fennekin line too!
I suppose Eevee and maybe the Abra line count as well, but like Antihaxxer, I'm not sold on the latter.

Last edited:
I honestly forgot about those ones. Whoops! My point either way was more that you don't often see foxes, so Nickit was a nice surprise.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Surprisingly enough, Thievul preforms significantly better than its fellow route 1 dark types (if one was to count Linoone-Galar over Obstagoon). It's a permanent resident of PUBL, which is higher than its nearest competition (Liepard in PU). Unburden+Terrain Seeds is always powerful, especially when paired with Nasty Plot, and the release of its Hidden Ability Stakeout and Burning Jealousy in the Isle of Armor also allowed it to be a self sufficient Choice Specs wallbreaker. It's a pretty interesting Pokemon overall, it's cool to have a (relatively) functional Stakeout abuser for once. Better than Greedent at least.

Mothim is so forgettable that I often forget it even exists. It's easy to see why it's so forgettable, because it sucks. You really shouldn't try to be a mixed attacker if you only have a 424 BST. Not to mention how much effort you have to put in to even obtain a Mothim in the first place. Absolutely not worth it.

You know it's terrible if even Butterfree and Beautifly are better. There's a reason why no trainer in Sinnoh seems to use Mothim.

Mothim is so forgettable that I often forget it even exists. It's easy to see why it's so forgettable, because it sucks. You really shouldn't try to be a mixed attacker if you only have a 424 BST. Not to mention how much effort you have to put in to even obtain a Mothim in the first place. Absolutely not worth it.

You know it's terrible if even Butterfree and Beautifly are better. There's a reason why no trainer in Sinnoh seems to use Mothim.
Agreed that Mothim sucks and that it’s weird that they doubled up on gimmicks with the Burmy line’s gender and location changes, but there are two trainers I can think of who use a Mothim! One is a Youngster in the Lost Tower and the other’s an Ace Trainer on Victory Road (whose Mothim is hilariously out of place among the powerful Pokémon on his team and others throughout the cave).

EDIT: oh wow I just checked and both of these trainers only had Mothim in Platinum. There must’ve been one in DP though because of the ‘seeing every Pokémon in the Pokédex’ gimmick in DPPt to unlock the National Dex

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
You know it's terrible if even Butterfree and Beautifly are better.
Which makes it all the more painful since I genuinely think Mothim is one of the best-designed Bugs out there.

Agreed that Mothim sucks and that it’s weird that they doubled up on gimmicks with the Burmy line’s gender and location changes, but there are two trainers I can think of who use a Mothim! One is a Youngster in the Lost Tower and the other’s an Ace Trainer on Victory Road (whose Mothim is hilariously out of place among the powerful Pokémon on his team and others throughout the cave).

EDIT: oh wow I just checked and both of these trainers only had Mothim in Platinum. There must’ve been one in DP though because of the ‘seeing every Pokémon in the Pokédex’ gimmick in DPPt to unlock the National Dex
On the route with fog, if memory serves. Edit: Yep, Ace Trainer Ernest on Route 210.

Late reply, but I actually used a Thievul in an online competition that was for SwSh but with only Galar Pokémon. I used it alongside Indeedee-F in order to set up Unburden alongside Psychic Seed which would prop thanks to Psychic Surge. Indeedee would then use Follow Me while Thievul set up Nasty Plot, and suddenly you have a Double Dance in one turn. Being able to outside Dragapult and threaten it with Dark STAB is immediately so good. Outside of that, it’s definitely not great, but at least it has a very tiny niche and it could do something, so it’s far from the worst Pokémon.

And lastly, I like how the Nickit line is actually based on real foxes. My issue with the other fox Pokémon, the Vulpix, Fennekin, and Zorua lines, is that they are based off of kitsune, and not real foxes. Now I don’t mind kitsune, but they already used the concept 3 times already, and the Nickit line delivers a fox that is not a kitsune.

Late reply, but I actually used a Thievul in an online competition that was for SwSh but with only Galar Pokémon. I used it alongside Indeedee-F in order to set up Unburden alongside Psychic Seed which would prop thanks to Psychic Surge. Indeedee would then use Follow Me while Thievul set up Nasty Plot, and suddenly you have a Double Dance in one turn. Being able to outside Dragapult and threaten it with Dark STAB is immediately so good. Outside of that, it’s definitely not great, but at least it has a very tiny niche and it could do something, so it’s far from the worst Pokémon.

And lastly, I like how the Nickit line is actually based on real foxes. My issue with the other fox Pokémon, the Vulpix, Fennekin, and Zorua lines, is that they are based off of kitsune, and not real foxes. Now I don’t mind kitsune, but they already used the concept 3 times already, and the Nickit line delivers a fox that is not a kitsune.
I guess the "magical fox" archetype is pretty kitsune-y (bulbapedia (what a surprise) sure thinks it is) but I would really not consider Fennekin's line a kitsune in the same way. The focus of the line is turning into a magical girl and then a more traditional western witch complete with robe-fur and magical wand; maybe even a bit on the "hag" side with how "tattered" the furrobe is and how wild the ear hair is. Meanwhile Ninetails & Zoroark go with more overt kitsune references (the multiple tails that show mystical powers, the trickster fox that can transform into people)

But I agree its kind of nice to have a fox line that stays a more traditional fox. Ninetails has the extra tails, Zoroark stands on its hind legs and has the kabuki themeing, delphox is full humanoid and leans hard into a witch aesthetic. Thievul stays on the ground, retains its standard fox traits and just emphasizes the "thief" aspect with the naturalistic boots, mask and cravat. A nice little design.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)