"Worst Pokémon Ever"

Couldn't find any mentions of it, but Relicanth is consistently a terrible Pokemon for in-game usage. It almost always comes very late (RSE, ORAS, and USUM, for example) or comes post-game (like Platinum). Even then, in RSE ORAS, and USUM, it has to be stupid rare and have a 5% encounter rate at best. Finally, Relicanth is almost never doing anything that would be worth the hassle of obtaining it.
Coming from a Relicanth user, it does have very good bulk to compensate how late it comes, and has the rare Head Smash/Rock Head combo in later gens. And I love its origin concept.

However, something I can agree that sucks is that no matter if you like or hate Relicanth, you NEED this fish if you want to unlock the Regis. You must waste precious time until it decides to pop up.

F for the Swift Swim Relicanths that killed themselves with Take Down

Katy

Banned deucer.
:spiritomb: i hate this mon from the in-game aspect as you have to achieve weird things to get this pkmn in gen4. you need to get an odd keystone AND after that you need to talk to 32 people in the underground of sinnoh. alternatively you can always talk to the same person all over again but you always have to dig up and dig down again to let it count as 32 people you have talked to. as a kid it is 1. too much effort 2. when you dont have an exact guide you will never know how to get it and 3. its just sooooo weird to obtain it, that you will never get the idea at all.

:spinda: the literally ONLY thing which sets this pkmn apart from all the others are the different patterns on it, bout yet we have vivillon with different patterns too, that you dont even think about spinda in the first place as vivillon outshines it in any aspect. it is also bad in competetive and in-game-wise it never was appealing to me.

:landorus: :tornadus: :thundurus: in my opinion they are way too similiar and their shinies reflect that as well. i like them in their competetive aspect, but from the design they are too similar in the incarnate-formes. the therian-formes are awesome tho.

:keldeo: i would really like keldeo way more if it finally gets ice beam, not getting ice beam is such a downfall for it, as icy wind can miss and is not the strongest move, giving it ice beam would give keldeo at least some sort to bypass certain pokes with choice specs as its item of choice. ice beam would make it a better revengekiller too when it comes to flying-types which resist its first stab in water like noivern.

:glaceon: :flareon: both of them suck competetively and i feel like whenever i use them they wont do much for the team at all. being a pure ice- or fire-type sucks when you first of all slow and prone to getting revengekilled or second of all getting left out without any viable movepool-buffs. with the addition of heavy-duty boots things have become better for ice- and fire-types but i still dont think these 2 are highly viable in lower tiers too.

:ariados: poor ariados, such a great design but competetively so bad that you might forget about him really quickly. i love its design, but compepetively it sucks. no viable new ultra-instinct-buffs, no new overall crazy status-buffs, its just a wannabe-galvantula.

:ariados: poor ariados, such a great design but competetively so bad that you might forget about him really quickly. i love its design, but compepetively it sucks. no viable new ultra-instinct-buffs, no new overall crazy status-buffs, its just a wannabe-galvantula.
Ariados gets Sticky Web + Toxic Thread as well as sporting an immunity to sleep + poison. It's an abysmal Pokemon but at least Gamefreak keeps tossing it enough buffs to let it technically have a niche. I remember using it in 4th gen as a Breloom + Gengar check lol.

Certainly leagues better than Unown and the Wurmple line.

Last edited:
Couldn't find any mentions of it, but Relicanth is consistently a terrible Pokemon for in-game usage. It almost always comes very late (RSE, ORAS, and USUM, for example) or comes post-game (like Platinum). Even then, in RSE ORAS, and USUM, it has to be stupid rare and have a 5% encounter rate at best. Finally, Relicanth is almost never doing anything that would be worth the hassle of obtaining it.
relicanth is unironically my favorite pokemon but i wont deny that its late gameness for its bad stats is a huge F for my mans

Cool thing about Pokemon is that no matter how awful or bad you might think something is, there’s always someone out there who likes it

View attachment 277787
My least fav Unova mon alongside Audino. The fact this mon was created very late in development explains a lot.

Although I like Relicanth, now that I think about it, lots of Water-types are among my least liked mons: Luvdisc, Phione, Basculin, Finneon, Seel, (VERY UNPOPULAR OPINION) Ash Greninja, etc.

I think jokes aside, I would also absolutely rank Basculin as my least favourite. You know how power creep has made - or at least made worse - a lot of Gen 1-2 Pokemon’s stats really awful and unviable; with many like Golduck and Girafarig dipping even below “just average”? Basculin feels like one of those Pokémon, except made 14 years later in the generation that gave us Haxorus and Chandelure, with very little use and nothing particularly interesting to set it apart.

Not to say it doesn’t have enough to make it memorable— it’s always put at a point in the game where it’s both frustratingly fast and difficult to catch, yet basically unusable once you have it. It hits the perfect sweetspot of everything wrong with Pokémon balance, and honestly when I put it like that, I think I’ve wrapped back around to loving it. Stupid little bastard.

My least fav Unova mon alongside Audino. The fact this mon was created very late in development explains a lot.

Although I like Relicanth, now that I think about it, lots of Water-types are among my least liked mons: Luvdisc, Phione, Basculin, Finneon, Seel, (VERY UNPOPULAR OPINION) Ash Greninja, etc.
It certainly helps that there are a lot of water types (it's actually more common than Normal). Though since it's been mentioned, I feel I should put in my nomination for Ash-Greninja. It's almost certainly the pokemon I am least likely to use for anything.

I play games primiarly to see what interesting plans and combinations I can come up with. Even if it frequently just gets used for always-on STAB, the idea of protean is so full of potential that it's easily in my top 5 abilities. Battle Bond gives raw power and very little in terms of interesting interactions, so taking it over protean just feels like I'm violating my principles. Running with terrible stats can sometimes cause interesting ideas on how to get through an obstacle, which means I have more use for the likes of luvdisc than I do for power at that high a price.

Also, I don't like the main anime.

I love the the new Zygarde forms introduced in the anime, but Ash Greninja? I thought it was ridiculous (the huge shuriken at the back is cool tho). The concept of a super mode was already done with Blaze Infernape in Sinnoh and way better.

They could have just revealed his Froakie was a rare holder of the Protean ability. They could have just handed Ash a Mega ring like every other trainer. But no, Ash Greninja is an exclusive form to him with a 'chosen one' legend, it reeks of pretentiousness and it represents how bad the Ash shilling has gotten.

It should've just stuck there in the anime, but no, let's put it in the game too. Let's buff the most broken starter of the Kalos trio even more and leave the other two with nothing. And let's hand it over to beginning players so they can rip apart an already easy game with an early lv 36 gift.

I love Greninja, but the Ash form is a huge nono to me. I don't think it's "worse Pokemon ever" material, but it was a mistake (I'm pretty sure competitive players agree). And like Ironmage said, Protean is more fun and versatile to use.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
They could have just revealed his Froakie was a rare holder of the Protean ability. They could have just handed Ash a Mega ring like every other trainer. But no, Ash Greninja is an exclusive form to him with a 'chosen one' legend, it reeks with pretentiousness and it represents how bad the Ash shilling has gotten.
During the ending arc of Best Wishes they brought back Ash's Charizard seemingly for no reason. Then when they revealed Charizard was getting not one but two Mega Evolutions and that they were building up this other character (Alain) who uses a Mega Charizard X. It all made sense now: they brought back Charizard so that Ash could use it as his Mega Evolution Pokemon, using Mega Charizard Y, thus setting up his League rivalry with Alain... then suddenly Ash's Greninja gained the ability to go super ninja. It's like one of the producers was a big fan of Naturo and wanted to pay homage to it ending so, while everyone else was figuring out how Ash would get his Mega Ring & Charizardite Y, burst in doing ninja hand signs and told everyone to instead make Greninja a super ninja.

During the ending arc of Best Wishes they brought back Ash's Charizard seemingly for no reason. Then when they revealed Charizard was getting not one but two Mega Evolutions and that they were building up this other character (Alain) who uses a Mega Charizard X. It all made sense now: they brought back Charizard so that Ash could use it as his Mega Evolution Pokemon, using Mega Charizard Y, thus setting up his League rivalry with Alain... then suddenly Ash's Greninja gained the ability to go super ninja. It's like one of the producers was a big fan of Naturo and wanted to pay homage to it ending so, while everyone else was figuring out how Ash would get his Mega Ring & Charizardite Y, burst in doing ninja hand signs and told everyone to instead make Greninja a super ninja.
I really do not see how Ash bringing back Charizard at the end of Best Wishes (which even at the time seemed far more an attempt at a ratings grab) follows into the theory that actually it was set up for bringing it back at the end of XY again, for Charizard Y against Alain, 3 almost 4 years later.

This is honestly the first I'd heard of this theory, it always made sense to me that battle would come down to Ash's ace that had been built up the entire series. They gave it, specifically, a super mode almost certainly because it didn't already have one so they made a request for that, likely once they decided megas would be all over the finale, + they wanted to keep Ash's team as his Kalos squad

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I really do not see how Ash bringing back Charizard at the end of Best Wishes (which even at the time seemed far more an attempt at a ratings grab) follows into the theory that actually it was set up for bringing it back at the end of XY again, for Charizard Y against Alain, 3 almost 4 years later.

This is honestly the first I'd heard of this theory, it always made sense to me that battle would come down to Ash's ace that had been built up the entire series. They gave it, specifically, a super mode almost certainly because it didn't already have one so they made a request for that, likely once they decided megas would be all over the finale, + they wanted to keep Ash's team as his Kalos squad
I was just explaining my line of thinking at that time. Bringing back Charizard was a total ratings grab. Charizard is my favorite Pokemon, partially thanks to the anime, and when they did that in Best Wishes and then did nothing with it I thought "there had to be another reason they brought back Charizard, there's no reason for Ash to take it away from what is essentially a Charizard-haven where it's the boss, has a mate, and he can call for it anytime he needs/wants its help". It felt like such a dumb decision, I want to say tone deaf though I know that's not the right word, and I was picking through straw to find anything that would justify this. When Megas was introduce and showed Charizard was getting one/two I thought/clinged on that being the reason.

Of course that wasn't the case as we know now, just me making the mistake that the writers actually had a fully thought out plan instead of flying by the seat of their pants. I'm curious if the writers ever had any intention of giving Ash a Mega or they saw Mega Pokemon as a chance to to give Ash a super special anime-BS Pokemon of their own creation (and if that's how the people making the anime feel I say they probably shouldn't be making the show as that just shows their interest isn't making a faithful (and good) adaption but just using Pokemon to do whatever they want...).

I'm nominating Ferrothorn.
  1. Design. Ferrothorn's design is awful. When I first evolved a Ferroseed I though this was going to be some awful ball of thorns. It's design screams "Magcargo's brother", which is no good.
  2. In-game uses. Ferrothorn has no use on in-game whatsoever. Not like it doesn't share that with other Pokemon (looking at you Blissey), but it's his Speed that doesn't let it function properly. As we all know, in-game runs appreciate fast, powerful offensive over bulky offensive or stalling.
  3. Competitiveness. Yes, finally going to talk about how awfully annoying this piece of thorny shit is. Ferrothorn is straight up the best/worst (judge yourself which word is correct) annoyer ever made bar Liepard (which falls to any Lum Berry Fighting-type Pokemon). It has bulk for both sides so that it's hard to take down, is the only Pokemon that resists Water + Dragon coverage that is viable for OU and Ubers, and of course, it had to have a good offensive stat. Because it couldn't be an hazard layer Blissey. I was forced to run Hidden Power Fire on my Starmie last gen just to get past it. AND I WAS USING A MOTHAFUCKIN RAIN TEAM. What's next, Game Freak? Mega Ferrothorn? Give it Toxic Spikes? Shift Gear + Earthquake?
Oh Jesus, I can’t imagine what Mega Ferrothorn would look like but I can certainly imagine how good it will be in competitive..

I'm nominating Ferrothorn.
  1. Design. Ferrothorn's design is awful. When I first evolved a Ferroseed I though this was going to be some awful ball of thorns. It's design screams "Magcargo's brother", which is no good.
  2. In-game uses. Ferrothorn has no use on in-game whatsoever. Not like it doesn't share that with other Pokemon (looking at you Blissey), but it's his Speed that doesn't let it function properly. As we all know, in-game runs appreciate fast, powerful offensive over bulky offensive or stalling.
  3. Competitiveness. Yes, finally going to talk about how awfully annoying this piece of thorny shit is. Ferrothorn is straight up the best/worst (judge yourself which word is correct) annoyer ever made bar Liepard (which falls to any Lum Berry Fighting-type Pokemon). It has bulk for both sides so that it's hard to take down, is the only Pokemon that resists Water + Dragon coverage that is viable for OU and Ubers, and of course, it had to have a good offensive stat. Because it couldn't be an hazard layer Blissey. I was forced to run Hidden Power Fire on my Starmie last gen just to get past it. AND I WAS USING A MOTHAFUCKIN RAIN TEAM. What's next, Game Freak? Mega Ferrothorn? Give it Toxic Spikes? Shift Gear + Earthquake?
Lumineon is kind of a failure in every regard. I could excuse bad abilities and bad stats, not every pokemon is meant to be a competitive powerhouse. But I can't forgive that design, specifically the color palate.

Gamefreak took inspiration from three of the most colorful fish in the sea:

And they gave it the most blah color pattern ever.

Darkblue and lightblue are the worst color contrasts they could have picked. Even in real life they are made to camouflage a fish into the background (many open ocean fish are light blue on the bottom and dark blue on top, so that they blend into the water around them depending on which angle you are seeing them from)! This fish was born to be forgettable!

It could have been salvaged if they used that splash of pink as an actual splash instead of a pink mole on it's tail-fin, as it does have a decently inspiring body-design with the butterfly fins. It would have been interesting if they took the butterfly-fish to a logical climax by giving it butterfly wing patterns (like vivillion and beautifly). But they went above and beyond to hide that, so it really just looks like just a fish. What were they thinking?!

Finneon... actually isn't too bad. The better use of the pink really comes out here, so it really boggles me as to why they toned that down in the evolution. Finneon's main problem (other than evolving) is that the interesting part of the design is in the back, meaning that it looks really dull when shown from the front.

This is probably more apt for the design thread, but I'm the last one that posted there so it's all locked up for me until someone bumps it.
Imo Finneon looks quite pretty.

I heard the theory of Ash getting a MCY although not with his appearance in Best Wishes an evidence, but it makes sense. It happened with Aipom before, the only Pokemon in Ash team (not counting Pikachu) that stayed for the Sinnoh adventure. Because in Gen 4 it evolves into Ambipom.

Also, I think I remember Pokemon XYZ and Naruto Shippuden episodes were emitted right next to each other, so it's easy to deduce that the writers were trying to grab the Naruto audience with Ash Greninja.

noobcubed I just checked out the ocean sunfish and Alomomola doesn't look so bad anymore. Also, I'm going to have nightmares. D:
images (4).jpeg

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Also, I think I remember Pokemon XYZ and Naruto Shippuden episodes were emitted right next to each other, so it's easy to deduce that the writers were trying to grab the Naruto audience with Ash Greninja.
Guys, I was joking. I highly doubt Naruto had anything to do with decisions made in the Pokemon anime. My original joke was saying "and then suddenly Greninja went Super Saiyan". However, then I thought "hey, Naruto has a bunch of BS power-ups, let me see if I could find the Super Saiyan equivalent in that series and joke that what happened to Greninja". Never watched Naruto, but GEEZ, if you though DBZ was bad with the tiers of power-up transformations... Anyway, couldn't find find it (like Naruto had a bunch of "super eye" abilities that didn't quite fit and all the tailed beasts people had all their own transformations but none of them quite fit as it had to do with their specific beasts (and none were frogs)) so instead I went with just joking the director read a batch of Naruto cause I knew around that time the original run had ended so joked about them paying homage instead.

Magcargo. Very slow, two very common 4x weaknesses (Water and Ground), and more weaknesses (Fighting, Rock). And Slugma is only available in Kanto in the Johto games, despite being a Johto Pokemon. On top of that, Slugma evolves quite late (lv.38). No one is going to use this thing either in-game or competitively. Maybe it would've had some early in-game use if it evolved sooner and was available early in GSC, as a Fire-type alternative for people who didn't pick Cyndaquil as their starter, but they locked it away in Kanto.

Guys, I was joking. I highly doubt Naruto had anything to do with decisions made in the Pokemon anime. My original joke was saying "and then suddenly Greninja went Super Saiyan". However, then I thought "hey, Naruto has a bunch of BS power-ups, let me see if I could find the Super Saiyan equivalent in that series and joke that what happened to Greninja". Never watched Naruto, but GEEZ, if you though DBZ was bad with the tiers of power-up transformations... Anyway, couldn't find find it (like Naruto had a bunch of "super eye" abilities that didn't quite fit and all the tailed beasts people had all their own transformations but none of them quite fit as it had to do with their specific beasts (and none were frogs)) so instead I went with just joking the director read a batch of Naruto cause I knew around that time the original run had ended so joked about them paying homage instead.
So you wanted to say Greninja went Sage/Sennin/Whatever Mode?

This is less a specific example and more of a trend, but... can GF please, please stop making Pokémon with high attacking stats and garbage everything else? No amount of offensive power is gonna save something that’ll fall in one hit before it has the chance to hit, as Beartic, Ursaring, Heatmor, Maractus, Octillery, Sunflora, and especially Rampardos can attest to as the cry themselves to sleep in the lowest depths of hellUntiered.

This is less a specific example and more of a trend, but... can GF please, please stop making Pokémon with high attacking stats and garbage everything else? No amount of offensive power is gonna save something that’ll fall in one hit before it has the chance to hit, as Beartic, Ursaring, Heatmor, Maractus, Octillery, Sunflora, and especially Rampardos can attest to as the cry themselves to sleep in the lowest depths of hellUntiered.
To be fair, those mons do fare well in game (I mean, assuming it's not a chore to get them, looking at you octillery).
I don't think it should be a concern if they aren't viable competitively.

Also, hey at least ZU is sorta a thing now... with Pokedex keeping expanding, maybe one day we'll need something BELOW ZU too :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)