ORAS Doubles OU Wrath of the North Wind: A Ladder Hero's Dream team

Mr.GX

Mew Mew
is a Tiering Contributor

Introduction

Hello Smogon! This is Mr.GX, coming to you with an RMT of one of my favorite Teams! Wrath of the North Wind! This team has snatched that No.1 spot on Showdown Doubles OU ladder multiple times, as well as topped the Azumarill Suspect ladder with ease.

NOTE: Not to be confused with team glenn ( A popular team made by Memoric), as this was completely made by me originally nearly 2 years ago for VGC 15 from scratch, just turned into an OU varient.

North Wind?

I'm the kind of guy who likes to win using their favorite Pokemon, and mine happened to be Suicune. I was determined to create a team with Suicune, and where did it lead me?

My mentor told me once the basic principle behind team Building. Pick a Mega, and go from there. The only Mega that came to my mind was Kangaskhan. It was strong, fast and bulky, and Suicune works well with her. The decision behind choosing each Pokemon is listed below, so without further ado, here it is!

The Team - Wrath of The North Wind

Mew Mew (Suicune) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 116 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Snarl
- Scald
- Ice Beam

The lead Pokemon of the team. Suicune. This Pokemon was underrated at the time I was using it. And what's more strange? Instead of going with the common bulky slow spread, I went with a semi-offensive fast spread. The Special Attack EV's with Modest allowed me to OHKO 4 HP Landorus easily. The speed EV's enabled me to out speed max speed Adamant Breloom and Bisharp by one point. And a.... Rocky Helmet?? This was the strangest tech in my team,and it was solely to deal with the big Megas: Kangaskhan, Metagross, Mega-Diancie, and Mawile. With decent Scald Damage and Rocky Helmet, I made sure my Suicune can take down any Kangaskhans 1v1. The rest of the Ev's were put in HP for general bulk.

Tailwind was my main form of Speed control, and quite possibly my favorite one. Doubles the Speed of all your mon's for 4 turns? Not bad! Suicune serves as a threat to any teams, because of its bulk. People tend to double target him, allowing me to dish out quite some damage thanks to my Rocky Helmet. Snarl was added to soften up Charizards and the fellow Special Attackers, as well as hurt Ghost-Types like Gengar and Aegislash quite a bit. Snarl also goes through Substitute, making my Suicune a good Aegislash counter. With Intimidate and Snarl, my team can survive for a longtime on the battle field. Scald was used as my primary STAB move. It deals decent damage, 2HKO's Heatrans and Landorus, possibly 2HKO Kangaskhan after Rocky Helmet recoils, thanks to my Modest Nature. Ice beam as added as coverage to destroy the opposing Landorus and Garchomp along with any other birds.

What I love about using it is it stays on the field for a long time, burning opposing mons with Scald, softening them up with Snarl. Suicune and Landorus-T forms an interesting switching core against Thundurus-I.

I chose "Mew Mew" as its nickname, cause contrary to popular belief, Suicune is a cat.

Fungus (Breloom) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Protect

I needed a Grass Type with some offensive Power that can hurt TR teams to an extent. And this guy came to my mind. Grass and Fighting Type? Definitely the coverage I needed the team along with fast Spore. Unlike the common fast Breloom spreads, I went with Adamant nature as I wanted to hit as hard as possible. It enabled me to grab some surprise KO's on opposing Mega-Kangaskhan, since Adamant Mach Punch does about 60-70% damage. Bullet Seed because it's good and OHKO most Ludicolo's in just 4 seed hits, and spore to shut down Trick Room and pressure your opponent into taunting my Breloom. protect because it's VGC.

Now why did I went for Adamant? Wasn't I scared of opposing Breloom and the speed-ties with Bisharps? None of that mattered as I had Tailwind. Tailwind + Spore was really good and shutting down whole teams, similar to how Amoonguss works in Trick Room. I used Breloom against the common Kangaskhan and Trick Room teams, as well as against Mega-Diancies and keldeos/Azumrarill teams.

"Fungus" cause it's a mushroom.

Angel Mirinda (Sylveon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 92 HP / 116 Def / 176 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Hyper Voice
- Hyper Beam
- Psyshock
- Hidden power [Ground]

I needed a powerful attacker that can OHKO lots of stuff like a Hydreigon. Instead, I chose something that kills Hydreigon. Choice Specs Sylveon is a really powerful addition to the team. Hyper Voice 2HKO's Mega-Kangaskhan, and works really well against Trick Room Teams. Whoa... a Hyper Beam? Yes, Hyper Beam. The one move Sylveon has access to that can OHKO almost every Pokemon that is not resistant to Fairy-Type. Not to mention a critical hit on Ferrothorn OHKO'd it. Hyper Beam One Hits Mega-Gardevoir, Mega-Kangaskhan, Mega-Diancie and probably the rest of the semi-bulky Pokemon. I reserve it against Trick Room teams to stop their setter on the tracks. In Tailwind, can kill any one Pokemon before going down for a turn. Psyshock for the Poison-types like Amoongus and Venusaur which can wall Sylveon without proper coverage. The last slot was given to HP ground to hurt Heatran, which serves as a wall against Fairies other wise.

Onto the EVs, 92 HP and 116 Defense allows me to survive Jolly Return from both Mega-Kangaskhan. 124 Speed Evs to out speed Timid/Jolly Greninja in Tailwind, which can be a major threat to my Sylveon if not handled properly. The rest was dumped into Special Attack for maximum damage output. Thanks to Dawoblefet for helping me with this spread.

"Anegl Mirinda" was named after our fellow Nugget Bridge user, Angel Miranda, and the drink Mirinda, cause I thought it would be funny.

Hot Sauce (Heatran) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

This slot was originally used by Tyranitar. But my mentor told me I needed a Fire type that can provide some coverage. That classic Heatran from 2013, still a very good Pokemon due to its awesome typing. Resists Fairy moves and Kangaskhan's Normal moves, Heatran serves as a check to Sun Teams and Gengar. A correct predicted switch into Gengar's Will-O-Wisp will render my Heatran powerful enough to severely damage most of the Pokemon in the meta game. Shuca Berry ensures I survives opposing Heatran's Earth Power and Landorus' Earthquake. 100 Speed EV's enables me to hit the 110 Speed, which can be used to out speed opposing Heatran. 252 Special Attack for maximum damage output, and the rest was thrown into HP for general bulk. A Sun boosted Flash Fire Heatwave 2HKO most Mega-Charizards, and OHKO Aegislash or Amoonguss.

This Pokemon along with my Breloom and Suicune completed my Fire-Water-Grass core, and gives me huge momentum with possible switch-ins. Rocky Helmet on Suicune allows me to switch him in to take Low Kick from opposing Kangaskhan directed at my Heatran to deal some major damage to the popular Mega. Heatran also serves as my main counter to Aegislash and Mega-Venusaur, should I encounter one.

Heatran was named "Hot Sauce" because it reminds me of Tomato Ketchup on a steel plate.

Mustache (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn

I had trouble with Thundurus plus Landorus-T leads, and needed something that was immune to Thunder Wave. Landorus-T sounded like a cool option. The Intimidate support made sure my Sylveon lasted longer on the field to create more noise. I had to change from Adamant to Jolly Nature to out speed Deoxys-Attack with my Choice Scarf to get of a fast U-Turn. Earthquake is my least used move, and is reserved just for Perish Traps and Terra-Cott (which is uncommon), considering I don't run any Taunt users. U-Turn switch into Suicune opened up alot of plays to help me gain momentum, and ultimately, sieze that win.

This slot originally had a Thundurus-I, but opposing Landorus/Thundurus began to give my trouble, forcing me to switch into him.

"Mustache" was chosen as this tiger's nickname... because he looked funny.

Mother Nature (Kangaskhan) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Def / 4 SpD / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick
- Double-Edge

Of course, I needed Mega Pokemon! Last but not least, comes the powerhouse of the team: Mega "Mother Nature" Kangaskhan. This was one Pokemon I disliked at the start of my career, but slowly got addicted to because of its sheer power and bulk, making him the perfect Mega for my team. Unlike the most common "Scrappy" variants, I ran Inner Focus, which helped me countless times against Rain Teams, Raichu's, opposing fast Kangaskhan, etc. Fake Out support was really great to help Suicune set up Tailwind or give an opening to Sylveon to spam its Hyper Voice. Low Kick OHKO's most Kangaskhan, thanks to my Adamant Nature, and Double-Edge for it's insane power to OHKO Mega-Gardevoir, Sylveon, Hoopa etc. Now here come's the last tech of the team: Ice Punch. Landorus usually serves as a Khan counter, but my Kangaskhan exists to counter Landorus. -1 Ice Punch OHKO's any Landorus-T, which was great considering how popular they were. I can also Ice Punch Thundurus-I to avoid the massive recoil from Double-Edge, and Ice Punch and an Ice beam from Suicune onto an Amoonguss KO's it most of the time.

The EV's were designed carefully for various purposes. Thanks to Hamstermania and DaWoblefet for helping me here. The defensive investment allowed me to survive Jolly Kangaskhan Low Kick, which was great. 252 Attack with Adamant nature gave me awesome offensive power which I really liked, and 156 Speed allows me to out speed Smeargle after mega evolving, which was a nice benchmark to hit.

My Kangaskhan was named 'Mother Nature" mainly due to its offensive power, and of course due to Parental Bond.

Description

The team relies on Suicune's Tailwind to hit hard and fast. Each Pokemon serves a role as a check against a mon that threatens my team. I usually take advantage of Suicune's bulk to inflict burn on my opponent's physical attackers with Scald, and snarl to weaken them. Against Landorus/Thundurus match ups, I rely on my own Landorus to settle the game with Rock Slide and Ice beams. Breloom's Spore support creates mind games, which can work in my favour provided I play well.

+

This was my most common lead, and with good reason. It does well against almost every teams, except the TR and set up ones. Fake out support along with tailwind can be really powerful, and with Inner Focus Kangaskhan, I can ensure I get a safe turn 1. Suicune also tend to draw Fake Out to itself and retaliate with Rocky Helmet chip damage, which can be really useful to finish them off. This lead does well against opposing Kangaskhan leads, Rain lead, Sun lead, and the usual Diancie leads.

+

My Anti-TR lead. Suicune + Kangaskhan doesn't do well against TR teams, so I came up with this. Fake Out to shut down their Fake Out users, and Spore to shut down their setters. If I can predict a Lum Berry or Safety Goggles, I can bullet seed for some good damage. This lead also does good against Rain teams, though I prefer to use my Initial Lead. once this duo is down, Heatran and Sylveon can sweep them up to end the game.

+

The sweeper duo. The above two leads doesn't do much against set up strategies (Breloom works). That's where my two powerful spread attackers comes in. Tired of seeing Jirachi-Azumarill? Heatwave and Hyper Voice for game (considering they don't flinch me). With Kangaskhan and Breloom in back along with a Landorus-T, I can take out their lead easily and have my back up finish them off. This lead cannot handle any Kangaskhan leads or Rain teams, so I usually only lead this duo against set up teams.

Counters to the Team

+

Keldeo can single-handedly tear my team apart, and the only 2 Pokemon standing in its way is Sylveon and Breloom, which gets destroyed by Charizard-Mega. This is a core I have to play around carefully, and my options are usually limited here to Snarl and Landorus-T Rock Slide until Breloom/Sylveon can show their face safely.

+

The popular core Azu-Rachi. The reason why Azumarill was suspected. While I have ways to beat this duo, I have to be careful, cause if I, and Azumarill successfully sets up, It can run through my team easily. My primary Target is usually Jirachi, and once he is defeated, Sylveon and Breloom can handle Azumarill.

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 36 HP / 60 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 302-356 (83.8 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 352-416 (100 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-1 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 388-460 (121.2 - 143.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

116+ SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 356-420 (111.2 - 131.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (4 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ludicolo: 360-424 (98.9 - 116.4%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO

176+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 436-514 (123.8 - 146%) -- guaranteed OHKO

176+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Mega Diancie: 366-432 (120.3 - 142.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Mew Mew (Suicune) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 116 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tailwind
- Snarl
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Angel Mirinda (Sylveon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 92 HP / 116 Def / 176 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Hyper Voice
- Hyper Beam
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Hot Sauce (Heatran) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

Mustache (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn

Fungus (Breloom) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Protect

Mother Nature (Kangaskhan) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Def / 4 SpD / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick
- Double-Edge

Notable Accomplishments

No 1 in Showdown Ladder with 1850+ ratings: http://i.imgur.com/8ROjuhx.png
No 1 in Showdown Azumarill Suspect Ladder with high ratings: http://i.imgur.com/Uv6c1kY.png with 66 wins and 7 loss.

Conlusion and Shout Outs

This team gave me a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed battling with my favorite mons. I hope more people try my North Wind, and possibly do well in tournaments.

FloristtheBudew for helping me with teams and strategies, and for helping me when I first came to Doubles OU.
Nido-Rus for being a good friend and opponent, and for inspiring me to join Smogon Tours.
n10sit for testing with me and helping me with strategies.
miltankmilk for testing with me using a Keldeo to find out my team's weaknesses.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
this team looks familiar o_O

I jest, I jest. This team's obviously decent since it got to #1 and all, props on that one. You have some problematic matchups with Keldeo and ZardY, even on an individual basis, but you can play around those to an extent; of course, if you want to make that matchup better overall, you'll have to switch up a mon or two. Regardless of that, some of your spreads look a tad bit inefficient, some in particular hitting benchmarks that don't even exist or aren't relevant.

First things first, your Mega Kangaskhan spread. Low Kick Mega Kangaskhan is pretty rare already, more so Jolly variants. Smeargle also doesn't exist in higher level play unless you're playing Level 51 or something lol, meaning you don't have to hit that Speed. While you can just go hit a lower Speed in order to cheat for some more bulk, I recommend just going max Attack / max Speed on Mega Kangaskhan; this lets you outrun the stuff in the middle including Timid Heatran, Kyurem-B, non-Jolly Landorus-T (lol), Kyurem-B, and Modest variants of Hydreigon, letting you lay the business on them first and outright saving yourself from any unnecessary damage. This also lets you get the jump on in-the-middle Zard Y spreads, letting you get the KO on them first.

Next suggestion is on your Sylveon. Basically, Greninja isn't a threat that you need to worry about much, it isn't used much and if it is, it's mostly special attacking variants (if it's running Gunk Shot, you have no business regardless). EVing for Jolly Mega Kangaskhan is also p weird, usually when you EV, you go for the plausible worst case scenario so that you won't have to rely on guesswork on your opponent's set when the case does happen. I whipped this one up: Sylveon could use 56 HP / 200 Def / 168 SpA / 84 Spe in order to take a Mega Kangaskhan Adamant Return while still outrunning Offensive Thundurus in Tailwind. You also don't lose much from your original Special Attack investment and you still get the jump on minimum Speed Volcanion.

On Suicune... like I said above, usually we EV for the plausible worst case. While Bisharp is usually Adamant, Breloom does run Jolly too and you can't always bank on the off chance, meaning your spread somewhat fails on what it intends to do. I also feel like you could do with more defensive EVs, you don't really need that much Speed and you'll benefit from Suicune being able to live longer and able to take more hits. Suicune could run 252 HP / 84 Def / 116 SpA / 56 Spe; this spread still hits whatever offensive benchmark you had and still outruns Deoxys-A in Tailwind, but it also lets you take some more physical attacks here and there in general. You still win against Jolly Lando-T regardless so *shrug*

Last is on Heatran... it's not exactly bad per se, it's that it could be probably be made better; this part of my rate is probably one that you'd still do okay not implementing. No Heatran runs Speed in range of what you have, most of them are fast, others even going for max Timid, meaning the spread you're running atm is most pointless. This kind of Speed also leaves you prone to some stuff like Adamant Bisharp, leaving you to take what is easily avoidable damage. Personally, I'd recommend max Timid but you can probs also do fine with Modest 200 Speed. It's whatever really, it's mostly just to let your Heatran actually get the jump on more foes and, like I said, save yourself from easily avoidable damage.

The team, overall, is what I'd say a more offensive version of Glennn!. Instead of running Latios, it has Sylveon, which means it's much more locked in offensively; this also means that it's a bit prone to some stuff due to lacking the key Dragon-typing Latios has, which boasts numerous resitances. If you ever feel like Keldeo and Zard Y are annoying to the point of wanting a change, Latios could probably do fine, it doesn't really leave you weak to anything. All in all, this is a fine team so :pimp:

Mr.GX

Mew Mew
is a Tiering Contributor
Thank you for the feedback, Memoric! While low kick Kangaskhan might be uncommon, it is still played, and I can obviously beat PuP khans easily. The 140 speed makes me safe, and provides enough bulk. What IF I face Level 51? :3

The Suicune spread opens up a play for me against Sub Aegislash. Scald gets rid of Substitute and my Adamant Breloom can spore it. This strategy has won me many games. And I feel I need more Speed to beat Bisharp to safely bring in Sylveon. Scald burn before he knocks off my Suicune is appreciated as well.

The Sylveon spread... yea you are right. Havent seen Greninja in a long while, might as well change it to your spread. Surviving Adamant Khan's return without Intimidate support is cool.

As for Heatran, I prefer some bulk. With Snarl support, It makes my heatran stay on the field longer, against the likes of Volcanion and Aegislash. The mid speed helps me outspeed some mid tier Pokemon, which can be nice as well.

Thanks you for your time! Really apprecitae it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)