Wreaking Havoc with Medicham

Hello Smogon! This is my very first Rate My Team for X and Y, and I have spent a long time constructing this team. It has many flaws that I cannot figure out reliable fixes for, and that is why I need your help!

Notes about this team:
-
It was constructed completely of Pokemon and moves breedable/obtainable within X and Y (This means no Move Tutor moves!)
- I prefer to avoid legendaries, as I find that they aren't fun to use, regardless of their usage tier.
- I try to follow Item Clause, therefore none of my Pokemon carry the same item.
- I would appreciate if rates follow the above criteria for suggestions. Sorry if I sound a bit picky.

Now let's get started!

Team Building Process:

Initially, this team was centered around a core that I had established including Goodra, Magnezone, and Togekiss, as they covered each others weaknesses quite well, and were bulky enough to take several hits.

Next, what I needed was speed. Noticing that I was lacking a very fast pokemon, I decided to choose a Pokemon who can abuse Choice Scarf well. I decided to go with Garchomp, since he can outspeed many of the common threats he is put up against one-on-one, even those who normally counter him. It also gave me a solid Ground-type stab that is required for most teams.

For my fifth slot, I knew I would need a mega evolution who would be able to switch in safely and start smashing skulls without needing to set up. I looked through the mega evolution list several times, and I couldn't quite decide on who would fit my team the most. Eventually, I decided that Heracross would be the best fit, since it gave me coverage that I didn't have, resisted types that gave me trouble, and would be able to sweep after the rest of the team eliminated the threats.

Lastly, I decided that my team needed a third physical Pokemon, as I already had 3 Special Attackers, and I felt it would give me the most balance. Noticing that I also needed a spinner, I decided that I would benefit much from Excadrill, since he could utilize Rapid Spin, resist Poison, Steel, Fairy, Dragon, and Flying, all of which benefited my team.

After play testing a few times, I noticed some very important things: I was lacking in priority, couldn't take status effects well, and completely lacked a Water-type! That was something very important, and so I swapped Goodra out for a Milotic. This gave me Ice and Water coverage, someone who didn't really mind being statused, and another Pokemon willing to withstand Ice-type attacks that I really dreaded.

Now, I could see that I really needed a faster mega, preferably one that could utilize priority. Mega Heracross was sweeping teams, but just wasn't cutting it in the overall team. So, I decided to opt for Mega Medicham. He provided my with a powerful priority, Psychic coverage that I was missing, and a solid way to OHKO Rotom-W when safely switched in.

Final Product:

A Closer Look:

Togekiss w/ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Bold
EV's: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast

I absolutely love how tanky this beast is. It can always outspeed an Azumarill and Thunder Wave, or survive a +6 Aqua Jet, Thunder Wave, and Roost back to a good amount of HP. It covers a fantastic amount of types that would threaten my team, such as the Ground-types that destroy Magnezone and Excadrill. Medicham and Milotic don't really appreciate taking those hits, either. I carry Fire Blast for unsuspecting Steel-Types like Scizor that try to switch in and do a good amount of damage with a Bullet Punch, and I carry Air Slash for the Serene Grace shenanigans that Togekiss is known for. She is also great against Breloom, Mega Heracross, and Conkeldurr, although Knock Off / Ice Punch still cripple her.

Magnezone w/ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature: Modest
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon

Magnezone covers EVERYTHING that Togekiss cannot handle. He can trap any Steel-types that threaten her out, and proceed to OHKO with Hidden Power. I love leading with this guy when the opponent has a Skarmory or Ferrothorn, because they can do absolutely nothing except die or Whirlwind, which will take Skarmory down to Sturdy, regardless. He can trap Banded Scizor, but usually they get to U-Turn out before I can OHKO. When I predict a switch, I usually go for Flash Cannon, especially when they are trying to protect a Water-type, because a Ground-type switch in still gets hit extremely hard, like Gliscor, who takes about 75% damage on the switch. He can also take the Fairy-type attacks that threaten Medicham and Garchomp, and do a large amount of damage again with Flash Cannon. Volt Switch allows me to switch Mega Medicham or Excadrill in safely against a Rotom-W, since they outspeed and can OHKO with a High Jump Kick and Earthquake, respectively.

Garchomp w/ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Nature: Jolly
EV's: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang / Fire Blast

I love Garchomp; there is no doubt in my mind on why he was Uber at one point. He can safely outspeed Mega Lucario, opposing Garchomp and most other Dragon-types and OHKO with Earthquake and Outrage. Stone Edge hits Togekiss hard, as well as Talonflame or other Flying-types that predict an Earthquake and try to force a switch. He can also take a Brave Bird if he has to, allowing me to deal with Talonflame who is otherwise a huge nuisance to my team. I use Fire Fang to hit Pokemon like Scizor and other Steel-types, but find the coverage rather redundant. Fire Blast is slashed because it hits harder, but uses Garchomps Special Attack, which is already lowered by his nature. He is incredibly important on this team, being able to OHKO a majority of the threats that the rest of the team fails to deal with.

Excadrill w/ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Being the only booster on my team, I find that I have little time to actually set up. However, his Steel-type STAB comes in handy against bulky Fairy-types like Togekiss and Sylveon, and he can OHKO Rotom-W with an Earthquake thanks to Mold Breaker. Hazards are very annoying on my team, but they are rarely ever put out since I have Magnezone to trap most hazard-setting leads. However, the few times they do get up, Excadrill is able to deal with them for the rest of the team. I carry Air Balloon because I already have a big weakness to Ground-type attacks, and it gives me a temporary second immunity. As one of the newer members of my team, I have the least to say about him, and wouldn't mind switching him out for something better suited for this team, as hazards aren't a huge problem for this team.

Milotic w/ Assault Vest
Ability: Marvel Scale
Nature: Modest
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
- Ice Beam
-Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Hidden Power Grass

Don't let her beauty fool you, she is a massive threat. She can take almost all Super-Effective Special attacks like a champ and deal a decent amount of damage to almost everything. Ice Beam is important, since it is one of two Ice-type moves used on this entire team, which leaves me with problems against Pokemon like Gliscor and other Ground-types. Scald is my only means of status besides Thunder Wave, and has crippled many Scizor and other Physical attackers who decide to switch into this beast. It also likes to get burns on Rotom, who can't do over half with a Volt Switch to her. Hidden Power is there for the Super Effective hits on other Water-types, but seems to do very little to most of them. I would definitely replace it with Recover if I wasn't wielding an Assault Vest. Hydro Pump does massive damage to everything that doesn't resist it, and is my only offensive Water-type attack on this team. I carry Marvel Scale on her because she is one of the only pokemon on my team that doesn't mind taking a burn, and I don't see Sticky Web too often, making Competitive seem too gimmicky for my liking.

Medicham w/ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Nature: Jolly
EV's: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Mega Medicham is an absolute monster. He is the only pokemon on my team who has a priority move, making him an extremely important Pokemon to keep alive towards the end of a battle. He can also OHKO Rotom-W, Heatran, Gliscor, and Excadrill, all of whom pose a massive threat to the rest of my team. He can deal about 75% to an incoming Trevenant predicting a High Jump Kick, and provides me with the only Fighting-type attack on my team, as well. He can also OHKO Mega Venusaur, which none of the rest of my team can touch. I feel like he sums up the rest of my teams weaknesses quite well.

Problems I Have:

- Ice-types. Although I have ways to deal with them, I have a hard time getting around them late game.
- Starmie. Timid Starmies outspeed every single one of my Pokemon, and we have little-to-no way of dealing with them.
- Priority. I have one priority move on my team, which fails to OHKO many of the Pokemon I have trouble with, even when they are weakened.
- Stealth Rocks. I have no Stealth Rocks user! I have been in many situations where they would have been extremely handy, unfortunately with most Pokemon being able to learn it through Move Tutors in Gen 5, I have little options.
- Status. Togekiss and Milotic are the only Pokemon on my team who can afford to be burned.
- Speed. Although Garchomp outspeeds many Pokemon, there are also a lot of Pokemon that outspeed my entire team (Starmie again, for example.)

I appreciate any feedback that you can give me about this team! But please listen to the criteria that I want to build this team around. Although, any feedback will be helpful. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I'll probably give this a better rate later, but mega medicham absolutely must run fire punch without extensive anti aegislash support. AEgislash will simply laugh at medicham wthout it, gain momentum, then murder something with shadow ball. Your team isnt excatly "aegislash weak", but if your one wall breaker can't break down an important defensive pokemon at all, youre fighting a losing battle against a solid defensive team.

I'll probably give this a better rate later, but mega medicham absolutely must run fire punch without extensive anti aegislash support. AEgislash will simply laugh at medicham wthout it, gain momentum, then murder something with shadow ball. Your team isnt excatly "aegislash weak", but if your one wall breaker can't break down an important defensive pokemon at all, youre fighting a losing battle against a solid defensive team.
From my experience with this team, I haven't had a problem with Aegislash. When I used Fire Punch, it just seemed like a wasted move slot, whereas Ice Punch comes in handy in almost every battle. A majority of the time, I won't stay in on Aegislash with Medicham, because 99% of the time they will use King's Shield. At -2, Mega Medicham can't OHKO Aegislash even with Fire Punch, and with a Swords Dance boost, Aegislash can OHKO Medicham over 100% of the time. At +2, Aegislash can only do at most 48% to Togekiss, where I can Thunder Wave or OHKO back with Fire Blast.

The main problem is Aegislash switching in on Medicham completely for free. Hell, if it comes on a High Jump Kick, you even take damage! Since Medicham absolutely has to run away from it, it can then get free hits on your other team members. It can be quite a bother, seeing as you lack a Ghost resist. Additionally, Magnezone is unable to trap it, as Ghost-types are immune to trapping. I'll have to second Fire Punch on Medicham in order to help with this.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
You people and your Magnezones. Magnezone should always run 84 speed at least to out speed Skarmory before it can roost (take the EV's out of hp for this).

Now that bank is out, you can afford to put stealth rock on excadrill over SD more than likely.

CB Talonflame has a lot of fun with your team and swords dance variants can literally sweep you outright. I know it sounds disgusting, but A defensive Rotom W over Milotic could help you greatly even though there is the new Natural Gift Talonflame running around these days. This will also help with status and Starmie to an extent.

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry

Bold. 0 Atk IVs

248 Hp, 232 Def, 28 SpAtk
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Will-O-Wisp
-Rest

I hope you mean Air Slash when you say Air Cutter because Air Slash is the one that flinches, Air cutter only has a high crit ratio.

Opposing Rotom W are also an issue but I'm not sure how to fix this atm.

This team needs a lot of work as many other threats like MegaZard Y can come in and pulverize your team if it gets in free. Make sure to check the usage list every now and then to make sure you can handle the top ten decently well.

I hope my suggestions and insight help you

The main problem is Aegislash switching in on Medicham completely for free. Hell, if it comes on a High Jump Kick, you even take damage! Since Medicham absolutely has to run away from it, it can then get free hits on your other team members. It can be quite a bother, seeing as you lack a Ghost resist. Additionally, Magnezone is unable to trap it, as Ghost-types are immune to trapping. I'll have to second Fire Punch on Medicham in order to help with this.
You people and your Magnezones. Magnezone should always run 84 speed at least to out speed Skarmory before it can roost (take the EV's out of hp for this).

Now that bank is out, you can afford to put stealth rock on excadrill over SD more than likely.

CB Talonflame has a lot of fun with your team and swords dance variants can literally sweep you outright. I know it sounds disgusting, but A defensive Rotom W over Milotic could help you greatly even though there is the new Natural Gift Talonflame running around these days. This will also help with status and Starmie to an extent.

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry

Bold. 0 Atk IVs

248 Hp, 232 Def, 28 SpAtk
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Will-O-Wisp
-Rest

I hope you mean Air Slash when you say Air Cutter because Air Slash is the one that flinches, Air cutter only has a high crit ratio.

Opposing Rotom W are also an issue but I'm not sure how to fix this atm.

This team needs a lot of work as many other threats like MegaZard Y can come in and pulverize your team if it gets in free. Make sure to check the usage list every now and then to make sure you can handle the top ten decently well.

I hope my suggestions and insight help you
Thank you for both of your rates. I will try out these suggestions when I playtest a little more later tonight ( and yes I meant Air Slash, I'm always mixing them up. Thanks for pointing it out!)

You really need to try the Rotom-Water suggestion, but if you don't like it, you could use Specs Heatran>Magnezone/Milotic. It does the same thing as them, hitting stuff hard. Try this:
Heatran @ Choice Specs Modest 252 HP/252 SpAtk/4 SpDef
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Ancientpower/Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
It also hard-counters Genesect 100% of the time unlike Rotom-Water, who hates taking CB U-Turn. Hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)