WTH is That!!! OU RMT

So, after a few months of using my last team, I have created a new one, with a few simular faces amongst the new crowd. Team at a glance:

-Adamant @ Leftovers
252 HP, 124 Atk, 64 Def, 64 Sp Def
Torrent
- Stealth Rock
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Waterfall
My lead, that is my making, and I think does quite well. If my opponent is faster than me, Stealth Rock is used, or I use Focus Punch to damage it if I feel it is a threat, as it sets up. If the lead is slower and I suspect status, I use Sub to stop them, then set up rocks. Focus Punch works well as it covers many common leads, especially the ever common Metagross, and is great behind my Sub. Waterfall is mostly for STAB, but works nicely. The weird EVs are to make Swampert as bulky as possible, whilest still maintaining good power.

- Mild @ Life Orb
92 Atk, 252 SpA, 164 Spe
Swift Swim
- Rain Dance
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Outrage
My special Mixdra, and also a unexcpected wall breaker. Rain Dance not only makes Kingdra amazingly fast, but also gets rid of any weather that hinders my team. This set lures in special walls as STAB + Rain boosted Surf is a massive force, and Ice Beam rips through all those weak to it, and many that are neutral. This sets greatest merrit is Outrage, which smashes any Blissey or other switch in for huge damage, forcing a 3HKO on the pinnk blob.

- Naive @ Choice Scarf
4 HP, 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd
Magnet Pull
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Explosion

Special Sweeper and Scizor counter number 1. A simple choice for the role, but has not done as well as I would of hoped. Coverage is good, but it is a standard set. I am considering changing to Dusknoir, as that gives a Fighting and Normal immunity, and still lets me block.

- Modest @ Leftovers
40 HP, 246 Def, 224 Sp Atk
Levitate
- Thunder Wave
- Moonlight
- Charge Beam
- Ice Beam
The bulkiest part of my team, yet also very powerful. Thunder Wave screws with switches and anything else that thinks it can stay in, Moonlight supplies instant recovery, but that is where the standard Cressilia is out of ideas. The Modest nature on this one gives it the power to KO some of the most dangerous OU threats, Salamence, Gyarados and Flygon to name a few. More than just BoltBeam coverage, Charge Beam also gives her the chance to boost her already impressive Sp Atk.

- Adamant @ Life Orb
32 HP, 252 Atk, 224 Spe
Technician
- Sword Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break / Pursuit
- U-Turn
A team is no longer a team without a Scizor. I chose to use the Sword Dance version, purely because I like switching moves to suit my cause, and I like being able to use a + 2 Bullet Punch to finish things off if the chance is there. My only question with him is, Brick Break or Pursuit? Brick Break gives good coverage and hurts other Steels hard, but Pursuit is more useful to stop switches.

- Naive @ Choice Scarf
4 HP, 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd
Flash Fire
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Hidden Power Ice
Special Sweeper and Scizor counter 2. Heatran is powerful, and with Choice Scarf, fast. The two things needed for a revenge killer, and this is what Heatran does for me. Instead of waiting in the wings for revenge, Heatran sometimes switches in on the Fire Attacks that Scizor so often draws, then hits back with anything in its arsenal for big damage.

Synergy
The idea behind my team is to use secrecy to my advantage, only revealing a Pokémon when needed to, so no mindless switches, and no information is given away. Coverage and resistances are great, with many taking advantage of others weaknesses, such as Heatran in on a Fire attack on Scizor, then Cressilia in on the Earthquake.

Well, thankyou for reading that wall of text, and please, rate away.

That Swampert lead, innovative as it may be, doesn't really do much imo. If you look through the common leads, Earthquake+Ice Beam covers everything better, as well as providing better coverage later on, while freeing up space for you to take Roar/Protect over Substitute. Use the standard MixPert EV spread from the analysis (although I think the SpAtk EVs were for Garchomp, if they were, then you can relocate them to Atk or Def).

On Kingdra, I prefer a moveset of Rain Dance/Waterfall/Draco Meteor/Hydro Pump for that kind of set, as it generally hits harder against everything that isn't Celebi, although your set works reasonably well too. It's worth noting that in the rain, Waterfall is going to be hitting just as hard as Outrage, but without locking you in. The small flinch chance is always nice too.

Magnezone is really unnecesarry here. Not only does it clash with Heatran for filling the same role (and it's unquestionably the inferior choice here), but a steel trapper doesn't really do anything other than take out Scizor for you, which Heatran can do as long as you don't play predictably enough to get Superpowered with any regularity. There's a lot of potential replacements, but I feel a sweeper to clean up after Kingdra (I'm going to suggest a change to Scizor) would be a good choice. SD Lucario or DDMence would be a good choice. (Should you be open to significant changes, MixMence + DD Kingdra would arguably be a stronger combination than DDMence + Mixed Kingdra.)

I'm not entirely convinced that Cresselia is a good idea on this team, I've always found that it's inferior to other bulky pokemon on offensive teams. I think a Suicune would work well here, although that does open up a Gyarados weakness to an extent, but that can be fixed by giving Heatran HP Electric. Cresselia works if you don't want to change it, but I don't really feel that it's optimal.

I would suggest changing Scizor to the Choice Band set. You do lose the freedom to switch between attacks, but the additional power without requiring setup, as well as the lack of recoil makes Scizor much more effective at U-turning away from counters to weaken the opposing team. Should you keep the current moveset, I would probably run Leftovers as the item for the additional survivability. In this case, Pursuit would probably be the superior choice to Brick Break.
I would also run an EV spread of 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd for the increased bulk, as I find that Scizor very rarely benefits from such a high amount of Speed EVs.

Finally, I would run Fire Blast on Heatran. The added power gets you a lot of OHKO/2HKOs, which I feel is worth the drop in accuracy. Should you use a Suicune over Cresselia, HP Electric would be the best choice to deal with DD Gyarados.

Good luck with the team.

Lures in Sp walls? Generally Kingdra even with STAB and Rain Dance boosted surf cant pound blissey or Cress for immense amounts. Perhaps Sub over Ice beam as well. The Magnezone is always nice but most people expect the scarf so it does allow their switch in to actually resist the attack and heavily damage ur switch in if you choose to.

X-Scissors over U-Turn if you plan to keep that scizor in for a long time. If you really want kingdra as a potent threat you may want a bulky summoner as on that turn of set up it leaves kingdra totally free for status which can and will potentially ruin ur sweep. Flamethrower on the Heatran is usually not as good as fireblast though the pp and the Accuracy may be luring Fire blast hits things a lot harder and isnt that bad on accuracy. 2 of your pokemon are 4x weak to ground you may wanna look at that. Revenge Dugtrio could exploit this 4x weakness and potentially take both of your scizor counters out. Definately a worry.

GL

SF

That Swampert lead, innovative as it may be, doesn't really do much imo. If you look through the common leads, Earthquake+Ice Beam covers everything better, as well as providing better coverage later on, while freeing up space for you to take Roar/Protect over Substitute. Use the standard MixPert EV spread from the analysis (although I think the SpAtk EVs were for Garchomp, if they were, then you can relocate them to Atk or Def).

On Kingdra, I prefer a moveset of Rain Dance/Waterfall/Draco Meteor/Hydro Pump for that kind of set, as it generally hits harder against everything that isn't Celebi, although your set works reasonably well too. It's worth noting that in the rain, Waterfall is going to be hitting just as hard as Outrage, but without locking you in. The small flinch chance is always nice too.

Magnezone is really unnecesarry here. Not only does it clash with Heatran for filling the same role (and it's unquestionably the inferior choice here), but a steel trapper doesn't really do anything other than take out Scizor for you, which Heatran can do as long as you don't play predictably enough to get Superpowered with any regularity. There's a lot of potential replacements, but I feel a sweeper to clean up after Kingdra (I'm going to suggest a change to Scizor) would be a good choice. SD Lucario or DDMence would be a good choice. (Should you be open to significant changes, MixMence + DD Kingdra would arguably be a stronger combination than DDMence + Mixed Kingdra.)

I'm not entirely convinced that Cresselia is a good idea on this team, I've always found that it's inferior to other bulky pokemon on offensive teams. I think a Suicune would work well here, although that does open up a Gyarados weakness to an extent, but that can be fixed by giving Heatran HP Electric. Cresselia works if you don't want to change it, but I don't really feel that it's optimal.

I would suggest changing Scizor to the Choice Band set. You do lose the freedom to switch between attacks, but the additional power without requiring setup, as well as the lack of recoil makes Scizor much more effective at U-turning away from counters to weaken the opposing team. Should you keep the current moveset, I would probably run Leftovers as the item for the additional survivability. In this case, Pursuit would probably be the superior choice to Brick Break.
I would also run an EV spread of 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd for the increased bulk, as I find that Scizor very rarely benefits from such a high amount of Speed EVs.

Finally, I would run Fire Blast on Heatran. The added power gets you a lot of OHKO/2HKOs, which I feel is worth the drop in accuracy. Should you use a Suicune over Cresselia, HP Electric would be the best choice to deal with DD Gyarados.

Good luck with the team.
Well, Swampert was a last minute idea, after I saw many lead Metagross whilst battling, and Earthquake and Roar made Swampert into just a lead, meaning that after that stage, it was useless, where as the new set keeps its use throught the battle.

Though I am aware that Mixmence is a better user of a simular set, but Kingdra is much less used, so teams are unable to counter him straight away (I used a Mixmence for a short time, only got 1 kill at most) before getting Ice Beamed out of there, where as Kingdra nets 2 or 3 as the opponent is not prepared. However, I agree that Magnezone is dead weight, so I will use DDMence there.

Cressilia is great on this team, providing power and defence, and again, less common counters means it lasts longer. Although Suicune is a great Pokémon, I feel it is inferior in my team, as it requires set up to hit hard, and I feel Cressilia's Ground immunity is a great plus.

A bulky Scizor is a very interseting idea, I had not considered it, thankyou for that suggestion.

As for Heatran, I prefer to play safe in Accuracy, but I guess the extra power is worth it.

Thankyou for your thoughts.

Swampert is anything but just a lead, it's a great defensive check against dragons, Heatran etc later on in the game, that's pretty much the reason why it's so poplular. All that Swampert has going for it is beating Blissey, but you have Kingdra for that.

MixMence vs MixDra isn't really a huge issue (although you switch out of Ice Beams, especially if you run Roost, MixMence is great at hit and run). I'd definately suggest Draco Meteor/Hydro Pump/Waterfall though, it's generally better as a wallbreaker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)